• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

Got all of them right.
It's not really hard to tell the difference between 60 and 30 fps.

The only one I had problems with was Race the sun because how can you tell 60 from 30 fps if there's nothing moving on the screen for 10 seconds?

Aroll

7/11

A handful of them were fairly hard for me to pinpoint - and even 2 of the 7 I got correct it took me a couple plays of the video to finally notice it.

I mean, I can notice the difference in general, but then I wonder when playing games: Do I notice the difference when I don't have 60fps as an option?

As an example, I really am enjoying Shadow of Mordor on my Xbox One. I know in the back of my head it's running at 30fps and that I could have had 60 fps on my gaming PC, but when I don't actually have the option on the platform I am playing on, I practically forget about it.

I wonder if this is why 30 FPS doesn't bother me on home consoles. When you don't have the 60 FPS option, there is nothing jarring about it. IT's only jarring when moving from the same game at 60fps on your PC. As in, if I had been playing SoM on my PC first, then on a friends console, I would notice a difference.

This is where I begin to draw the line in the sand: Yes, 60 fps is better than 30 fps. There is no doubt in this - even for the people that can't see it, it still improves the experience for them even if they can't tell. Would love for it to be standard.

However, when the only option on the platform you play on is 30 fps, does it end up bothering you, even if you prefer 60 fps? I don't think it does. It certainly doesn't for me, and when I had resolution whores (some of my PC gaming buddies) over to see the game - they couldn't tell it was running at 30fps. It's one of those: When you can't see the better version, it doesn't bother you.

As an example, because 60 fps is the standard on Mario Kart 8, I do notice the difference between 1 and 2 players... and 3 and 4 (when it drops to 30fps). It's still playable, sure, but not quite as smooth.

Lyonaz

Yeah easy, 11/11.

It will be harder if you just see one of the two and need to choose between 30 or 60 fps, I think.

Slow down
Take your time
Allow them to load
Resync if you have to

11/11

To me it's so obvious going from starting at one for a few seconds to the other.

That said tho, I don't mind if the framerate is sacrificed for some more detail. I don't have to not take the test and pretend I'm blind to it to have that belief. I definitely would prefer for a game to look as nice as possible, but obviously there's always some technical limitations

11/11. There were one or two that were a little difficult to tell, but I think that's mostly because of the tiny boxes the games are in coupled with the fact that I was getting frame skipping even on the 60fps videos at times (but still easy generally easy to tell which was which.)

gWzv4fm.png

Sadly my image broke so not sure what my prize was for perfect 60's.

Guinness

Neo Member
Why is 15 not good enough, but 30 is? I've played games at ~7fps extensively, that doesn't mean I'd ever settle with 60fps anymore.
Because 15 < 24 < 30. 24fps being a standard in cinema and television industries for years (with notable exceptions like 48fps movies).

I'm not saying there is no difference between 30fps and 60fps. Even my untrained, console gamer-eye can see the difference sometimes, so I can understand that it can be a real game changer for other people. I'm just saying that personally, 30fps won't ruin my game experience as long as it is locked.

It's a night in day difference in games like TLoU: Remaster where I can toggle it for me but the locked 30 doesn't bother me when I play Destiny.

Tain

Should make a video asking if a given single video was 30 or 60, no comparison. I think I'd still get 11/11.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
30 vs 60 is silly.

Its pretty simple to just look at each and feel the faster one.

Id like to see a test that plays a game at a random fps(maybe not random) but like 30, 45, 50 and 60 or something.

Then just guess which it is.

Id love to see people pick out that Forza Horizon 2 or Hot Pursuit are actually 30fps.
Ive caught fps whores using Hot Pursuit, without fraps they couldnt guess the game was running at 30fps.

Pons

Neo Member
Yes I can see the difference (though 30 fps doesn't bother me, 60 fps preferred if possible)
11/11 on that test page

Did you actually click the link and try the test?

I'm just curious if you did or if you just assume you can't tell the difference.
I have done the test multiple times and just to make you happy I did it again. The difference was negligible. Or at least it wasn't enough to make me care.

Tain

Id love to see people pick out that Forza Horizon 2 or Hot Pursuit are actually 30fps.
Ive caught fps whores using Hot Pursuit, without fraps they couldnt guess the game was running at 30fps.

There's nothing particularly tough about recognizing Horizon 2 as 30fps, I think.

FranXico

Current gen games are making the difference more apparent.

When I tried toggling the 30fps framerate lock on and off in TLoU:R, the difference was night and day. I decided to leave it unlocked, didn't really care that much about the improved shadows.

If games do not provide me with a choice, 30fps is OK as long as it doesn't drop below that.

11/11

Come on son

Best test i have seen

Those saying that this does not affect gameplay please try castle vania Los PC port

And those who say they failed the test please try again and take your time

Tigress

Apparently I can but you know what, it's not a huge enough difference to me that I'd notice if it wasn't side by side (or maybe I would) but definitely not be something I'd be bugged about at all. I'd rather they focus on other stuff then getting it to 60 fps if they can.

Of course, now that I've seen the video it might bug me more (as I just took for granted in Skyrim for example that movement was like that and it looks more jarring after looking at the 60 fps one). And I don't think I'm happy about that. I am fine being fine with 30 fps honestly. I've had people tell me I should get pickier cause it will make my gaming better. I fully disagree. Basically, I'd rather it not stick out to me so much that it bugs me enough that I can't get over it over what otherwise would be a game I loved. Seems like a silly thing to get a game ruined over but I could also see that if you noticed it how it could bug you.

11 out of 11

Arma II was a bit tricky though. There wasn't much movement.

I feel with horizontal movement it's the most easy to see difference.

Blackage

10/11

The Turtles screwed me over.

Thought that was pretty obvious, if you look at the rotor blades.

I honestly don't know wtf the rotor blades are supposed to look like IRL let alone @ 30 or 60 FPS :p

I just glanced at the trees/scenery instead.

Racing games are by far the easiest games to notice frame rate issues. It's impossible to not notice the street you're driving on @ high speeds, and the way the game feels/your car reacts.

Yes, but the difference is almost completely negligible. If I put a game on without knowing the FPS, you could tell me it is 30 or 60 and I'd believe you either way. I can only see the difference when doing side by side comparisons.

Done the test now since I've got home.

6/11.

The only obvious one was Urban Freestyle or whatever it was the called, the rest was pretty much 50/50 to me.

Yes I can. I really wish devs would focus on getting their console games to 60fps over bumping the resolution. Smash on my 3ds looks better than any 1080p 30 FPS game.

I got 11/11, most of them in an instant. It does require some panning movement to see the difference especially with a screen size so small. Full screen the difference would be easier to notice.

For me 30 FPS is too slow, even when stable. It's still playable, but it does annoy me, and usually 30 FPS means it sometimes goes lower too, which is unacceptable. I'd say 40 FPS is my personal limit for PC games, I'll rather skip on the image quality than go below 40.

hepburn3d

9/11

I'm on a small laptop so made it tough.

Weirdly when it showed New Vegas I could tell the difference instantly. Something about that game but it feels so different.

Got race the sun wrong. The all white made it hard to see the stutter. Also got another wrong because I thought I could be clever and click the one that loaded slowest, except that didn't work :p

Essentially marginal difference (to me) in some games. I would always choose 60fps over 30fps given a choice. If it's a choice of 720p @ 60fps Vs 1080p @ 30 fps I'd choose 1080p (imo).

Awesome little site

Into

10/11

Counter Strike got me

Some of them are really easy to see the difference, Trials was very easy to see which was 60 and which was 30. The difference there seemed massive

Top Bottom