• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

jem0208

There is no such thing as designing a game to be 30 or 60. Games will look fine either way, just one is more smooth than the other. Games are 30 due to hardware limits, that's it.
Yes there is. Games are designed to be 30 to take in to account the hardware limits.

Techniques like motion blur are used to counteract the lack of smoothness a 30 FPS game has. I'm not saying a 30 FPS game will look bad, I'm saying the complete opposite. If it was built from the ground up as a 30 FPS game then it can still feel very smooth. Destiny is another game which is 30 but still feels very smooth.

Edit: phone autocorrect :3

Harmen

10/11 (failed at chopper game).

It was actually way more easy than I thought. Did not even have the slightest doubt with the ones I had correct. I am not bothered by games being 30 though, I get used to it really quick. Next to each other makes it more apparent, however.

On paper I do. Like when I go from COD to Destiny I can tell a difference, but it is not "silky smooth" to "like ass" as I actually like the gun play in Destiny more than COD. Action games and shooters I can feel it a little easier, but not 100% of the time (as the quiz shows^^). I find racing and sport games the hardest as there is a lot that goes into the "sense of speed" than just FPS. As a developer if you can get 60 then go for it, but if you have to cut a lot to get there then don't.

Neidii

Well that was easy, the difference between 30 and 60 is pretty big, it's instantly noticeable side by side like that. Although when I do play a game in 30 fps I'm not bothered by it.

Alexastor

7/11. I can tell the difference most of the time, but I couldn't care less. As long as it remains over 30 and doesn't drop too often. Ignorance is a bliss sometimes.

I still support the demand for 60 FPS though, as there are actually players who do notice a difference that impacts their experience..

Seanspeed

Banned
Wasn't trying to say you all are wrong. It is pretty clear from this thread that more people can see it than people who cannot. I was just trying to say that when I could actually see it (the helicopter video) its didn't really make any difference for me as far as quality. Just trying to give my full feedback. Nothing more.
Fair enough man. Just realize that when all you see is something 'helicopter blades spinning faster' and wonder how that is supposed to improve the game, that the rest of us are seeing *far* more than that(actually not seeing blades spin faster at all) and it has a big effect on the game for us.

Yes there is. Games are designed to be 30 to take in to account the hardware limits.

Techniques like motion blur are used to counteract the lack of smoothness a 30 FPS game has. I'm not saying a 30 FPS game will look bad, I'm saying the complete opposite. If it was built from the harpoons ground up at a 30 FPS game then it can still feel very smooth. Destiny is another game which is 30 but still feels very smooth.
I guarantee you if you played Destiny at 60fps, you would not say that Destiny at 30fps felt smooth anymore.

There were a *lot* of people who went into the PS4 remaster of TLOU thinking that 60fps wouldn't be a big deal and then ended up saying that the 30fps mode felt like crap by comparison.

Much of what people deem to be 'fine' is merely a lack of a better reference point. And that goes for more than just framerate or gaming.

Sendou

11/11 pretty easy. That said when we talk about gaming and framerates people should be able to play the games too not just watch footage of them. Like playing a bit of game in 30FPS then play the same bit in 60FPS and asked if they can point the difference.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
11/11. I don't even see how this is a challenge of any sort.

Even with small compressed video like this, the difference is stark.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
11/11

Two things helped me.

Playing games with both makes it easy for me to tell them apart (usually 60 fps gameplay then 30 fps cutscenes). Valkyrie Profile 2 is a good example.

Back in 2008 I had a PC change (said PC still works today and is pretty much able to play new games at near high settings even). The last game I played with my old PC was Left4Dead, and you could really say the fps there was bad. The change really smoothen things for me.

I still don't get why people make a "it doesn't matter anyway x fps works" posts because the question really is if you can detect.
60fps for life, while it's nice to have consistent fps I'd rather get consistent 60fps

Yes, easy. But I got 10/11.

Now there are other ways to notice it in a very dramatic way.

1. MK8 with 1-2 players then switch to 3-4 players
2. TLOUR: 60fps mode then switch to 30fps, Joel feels heavy with 30fps mode

Zero148

I couldn't until I palyed Mario Kart 8 in 4 player splitscreen, the difference there is massive. Had only 10/11 in the test though, but I guess that counts to being able to tell the difference

Angelcurio

11/11
For some of the videos, as soon as i saw the 30 fps version i knew that it was the wrong one. The feeling and smoothness of 60 fps is priceless.

Peltz

Yes. I've never confused a 30fps game for a 60 fps game or vice versa.

11/11 without even needing to think about it.

That being said, I am cool with playing many great games at 30.

10/11

Only missed one because I was trying to see how fast I could do it. So easy to tell the difference. I'm one of the few that would take 60 with dips instead of 30fps stable.

jem0208

I guarantee you if you played Destiny at 60fps, you would not say that Destiny at 30fps felt smooth anymore.

There were a *lot* of people who went into the PS4 remaster of TLOU thinking that 60fps wouldn't be a big deal and then ended up saying that the 30fps mode felt like crap by comparison.

Much of what people deem to be 'fine' is merely a lack of a better reference point. And that goes for more than just framerate or gaming.
I can do pretty much the same thing. Going from Forza Horizon 2 to Forza 5. Horizon still feels very smooth.

banagher

11/11.

Pretty easy, though Enter the Sun stumped me abit until i stopped looking at the car and more on the square objects whizzing past you.

Lexxon

9/11

Maybe it's just because I'm tired, but I had trouble with 3-4 of them. I can absolutely tell the difference during gameplay, though, and being a Master Race PC gamer makes it even easier to see when moving back to console.

I also have a 120hz monitor, but I'm not sure how well I'd be able to pick 120 vs. 60, especially because I've been using LightBoost.

10/11.

Don't really care so long as it's stable with no big dips/spikes.

30FPS isn't a deal breaker for me in most things (of course I still prefer 60). Racing games, though... I don't know how the fuck people enjoy racing games at 30FPS. It drives me crazy how common it has become.

Yes. If you can't you're blind or lying.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who can't tell the difference in video form. Like I said in my last post, put a controller in your hand and there's no way you won't be able to tell a huge difference immediately.

11/11

Only took me 2-3 seconds to recognize 60 fps in each video. I have no trouble seeing it. However, I will say that the difference is even more pronounced when you're playing the game yourself.

Nzyme32

11/11 - all of them were fairly instant with the exception of the arma 2 helicopter one where I couldn't tell for a few seconds

A better test is to play them obviously, as that makes it absolutely obvious

vicnorris

Banned
Your Score:11/11

With about 2 seconds each gif.
It's noticeable, even tough not every game need a 60 fps, I don't mind playing Last of Us at 30 fps (as an example) because its slow pace.

Top Bottom