• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

TalonJH

Hmm, i knew i could tell the difference but for some reason i thought that was going to be harder.

Edit:10/11 That dame 7 Days to die through me off with it's non descriptive tunnel. I really don't mind playing at 30fps but I prefer above 60.

SenkiDala

Your Score:11/11

Of course it's easy but of course it's not true to say that 30fps (if stable) is unplayable, it's ok. But I think that if you played all your life 60 fps games (so if you never played on console) yes it might be hard to accept 30fps. Personally I mostly played console games until recently, now I play multiplat games on PC(I've a descent PC and PC gaming is cheaper then) except for exclusives titles it's why I have a PS4/WiiU, but still I really love 60fps, its awesome.

I know some people who prefer 30fps though, they say that 60fps is "too smooth, looks unreal", they hate it, don't really understand but why not. :)

got 11/11. some were tricky and some were just plain obvious and i got the answer in like 3 seconds. 60 FPS is really nice. I saw someone playing KH2 final mix on a ps2 emulator at 60 fps and it literally blew my mind how nice it looked.

Shredderi

11/11. I'm pretty sensitive to fps changes so when a game isn't constant 55-60fps I will lower the settings and even lock it to 30fps because I hate fluctuating fps even when it's a small amount.

jem0208

Well....

Honestly no matter how much I play 30fps it never stops being noticeable to me, and I can go really long sessions on certain games. 30fps isn't a deal breaker at all for me, but 60 is always better and I wish devs never went below that.

On my phone...

And I know I can tell the difference between the same game running at two different frame rates. That's obvious. Unless a game is designed to be 30 it's going to be noticeable. A more interesting test would be to take Forza 5 and Horizon 2 and get people to say what frame rates the games run at. Don't tell them one is 30 the other is 60.

I'm sure those results would be a bit more divisive.

Seanspeed

Banned
I know some people who prefer 30fps though, they say that 60fps is "too smooth, looks unreal", they hate it, don't really understand but why not. :)
Its no different to the few people who say they prefer 900p over 1080p because 1080p looks too 'sharp'.

Exile20

Yes its extremely noticeable. And I hate it when console people try to justify 30 fps by saying "no and I don't care" because there is one hell of a difference and if you don't see it then you must be blind.

I was playing Mk8 single player online for a long time then I played for the first time with multiple people and that 30fps hit me like a brick wall.

low-G

Not the best demo, lots of shuttering on both the 60 & 30 fps vids. Definitely not displaying those frames at even rates

On my phone...

And I know I can tell the difference between the same game running at two different frame rates. That's obvious. Unless a game is designed to be 30 it's going to be noticeable. A more interesting test would be to take Forza 5 and Horizon 2 and get people to say what frame rates the games run at. Don't tell them one is 30 the other is 60.

I'm sure those results would be a bit more divisive.

There is no such thing as designing a game to be 30 or 60. Games will look fine either way, just one is more smooth than the other. Games are 30 due to hardware limits, that's it.

Zafir

Yes, easily. That said I'm still not bothered by playing games at 30FPS(Unless it's competitive).

Some of those videos seem poor examples though. A few of them seemed to have slight hitching even on the 60FPS one. I mean you can still tell which one is 60FPS, but yeah.

Joei

8/11 and I only noticed it on the swift camera movements, like mentioned in the OP. Don't really care otherwise.

Yes, I can both see (in terms of smoothness) and feel (in terms of controller response) the difference between 30 and 60 FPS, more so oddly on PC than console.

I think that's because PC games locked at 30 FPS can suffer from framepacing issues, where frames are not output evenly, making them feel laggy and prone to microstutter. This is generally less of an issue on consoles. It can make PC games feel very unpleasant at 30 FPS compared with its console equivalent, also at 30 FPS, a good example being Dead Rising 3 which feels smoother at 30 FPS than it does on PC at 30 FPS (when both games are actually hitting 30 FPS that is).

I don't mind 30 FPS games on console; Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is terrific on PS4 IMO as is the 30 FPS Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One. That's because both games keep 30 FPS throughout and never drop lower than that. I generally favour 60 FPS on PC though.

onken

It's funny because I was playing Vice City on PC with the frame limiter off, there's a boat mission when you have to turn it on otherwise the boat doesn't go fast enough and you can't beat the time limit. Difference was night and day.

Barely. Such a minuscule thing to make such a big fuss about. I really don't give a shit about 60 fps, make the base game look more impressive first.

10/11.

Can't remember which one I got wrong but you can definitely tell the difference. 30fps is certainly playable but 60fps is always better. A locked frame rate is king though, at 30 or 60. Significant dips in frame rate take me right out of the experience. I'd sacrifice IQ to get a steady frame rate any day.

Also some games look smoother at 30fps than others. For example Forza Horizon 2 looks much smoother than a typical 30fps game does to me.

11/11. Its pretty easy. The second there is a fast movement you can tell.

Still ,30fps locked its perfectly acceptable for most games. My personal sweet spot is anything over 40.

11/11, only the helicopter part gave me pause for a few seconds because of the slow movement. In most games the difference was immediately apparent.

Soodanim

Gold Member
Clicking resync one of them on my Nexus 7 broke it, and I can't be bothered to go through it again. But I was getting them all right (did at least half, including the helicopter), and even as one loaded before the other I could tell which it was before the other loaded to give me a comparison.

I really want to see 120fps in action.

Barely. Such a minuscule thing to make such a big fuss about. I really don't give a shit about 60 fps, make the base game look more impressive first.
By miniscule you mean one is literally half of the other. Miniscule to you perhaps because you don't notice it, or maybe you're not bothered. Dragon's Dogma is one of the best games I've played in years and it it ran both letterboxes and at a low FPS, but it would be so much better at 1080p60. A large number of us prefer to play at 60fps with all the advantages it brings.

Kouriozan

So easy

DO6dneH.png

Don't bother me but high speed action games at 30 FPS it just feels wrong.
The latest example, Smash 3DS, would be much worse at constant 30 FPS.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
11/11

This is one of the easiest tests I've ever had. It only took a few seconds on most games.

To all the people who truly don't "notice" the difference, spend some time playing 60fps games and then try going back. It'll be noticeable then. (But then again I guess you're mainly console gamers so you don't have a choice.)

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Obviously if you *truly* cant see the difference, then you're not seeing what we're seeing and to us, the difference is quite noticeable and impactful. If it doesn't make a difference to you, that's fine. Nobody is going to convince you to see it or that it should be important to you, but don't go out of your way to try and rubbish what the rest of us are experiencing.

Wasn't trying to say you all are wrong. It is pretty clear from this thread that more people can see it than people who cannot. I was just trying to say that when I could actually see it (the helicopter video) its didn't really make any difference for me as far as quality. Just trying to give my full feedback. Nothing more.

Top Bottom