• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The real test comes from playing games, and unless I go directly from playing a 60fps title, to a 30fps version of the same title I don't notice a difference.

11/11, no probs. I could tell immediately for everything except that plain white racing one, which I had to wait for some camera movement for.

Seanspeed

Banned
I got a 5/11 on the link. Can't really tell a difference. I could tell a difference on the Helicopter blades spinning faster. That in no way affects the game. Okay so I see 2 extra rotations. It doesn't improve the game.
Obviously if you *truly* cant see the difference, then you're not seeing what we're seeing and to us, the difference is quite noticeable and impactful. If it doesn't make a difference to you, that's fine. Nobody is going to convince you to see it or that it should be important to you, but don't go out of your way to try and rubbish what the rest of us are experiencing.

Fatal Error

Neo Member
11/11 even though I don't care about frames and I'm not bothered by 30 and "my eyes are not trained for 60" but the difference to me here is clear, 60 is silky smooth.

valkyre

Honestly I dont think that anyone cant see the difference... really this "myth" that the human eye cant see more than 24 fps, I dont know who started it, but it is absolute BS.

Yeah 11/11 and it would be even more obvious if the viewer was controlling the action, which is the most import difference ultimately for gameplay.

gngf123

10/11, got the first one wrong.

The helicopter one was by far the most obvious to me, but this is still not a brilliant demonstration. Still got most of them instantly though.

These demonstrations all have one problem: Games at 60fps feel much more responsive, something that you can't tell with video alone.

DirtyLarry

9/11
The BF Helicopter one and the game I had never seen with the all white level that looked kind of like Wipeout were the 2 I got wrong.
For the Helicopter one I focused on the blades, and my instinct told me the other one was the 60 FPS one, but I went with the one I thought looked more realistic, which left more ghosted silhouettes of the blade, so should have been 10/11.

web01

Haven't done the test however I think it depends on the game and whether or not it was designed with 30fps in mind.

If you take a game designed to be played at 60 and then cut that in half of course you're going to feel a difference. However games which are meant to be played at 30 generally feel fine. Take Horizon 2 for example, it's at 30 and the racing feels just as good as on Forza 5. The sense of speed is incredible.

The Halo series also feels very smooth even though it is 30.

What your saying is complete nonsense. What does that even mean "meant to be played at 30fps." 60fps is always better, if its 30fps its because of hardware and development restrictions not because its meant to be played like that.

7Sins

Neo Member
I don't really need sbs comparison to tell, actually I could spot the 60fps video, in some cases, just by looking at the first frame of each video.

60fps is indeed glorious, but I don't mind 30fps in some genres, like puzzle games.

Lord Phol

11/11, about 3-6 seconds per clip. 60fps really does make a big difference to me. Actually had to sacrifice some minor visual goodiness from the sweetfx config I downloaded for Shadow of Mordor to get a steady 60fps the other day. Well worth it.

Josh7289

I think a better question is whether you can tell the difference between 120 fps and 240 fps. Anything lower than that is obvious.

SeanTSC

10/11 - misclicked on the Ninja Turtles one. Most of them were immediately obvious, especially if it did a camera pan right away.

Hm, 8/11 but I suspect the difference would be way more noticeable in a real game... e.g. the replays in PES being 60fps vs. 30 on FIFA are hugely noticeable.

Never understood those who say they can't tell. It's so glaringly obvious.

I remember back when i used to play MW2 and then I would switch over to Gears 3 to play with my friends. I would take me 10-15 minutes to adjust to gears, it felt so slow and cumbersome compared to MW2.

Yes.

XO245i1.png

R_Deckard

Honestly I dont think that anyone cant see the difference... really this "myth" that the human eye cant see more than 24 fps, I dont know who started it, but it is absolute BS.

Yeah easy 11/11 with no hesitation.

But as a PC gamer and Console gamer it is easy to spot. What would be a good test is having a 30fps with good motion blur against a 60fps game.

As when i go between say Forza Horizon 2 on X1 or even Shadow of mordor on Ps4 30 to PC ~60 it does not stand out as much.

NOTE:- I am not saying that you cannot see it, but PC 30 always feels far worse than console 30 due to frame pacing and Motion Blur.

Yes, but the difference is almost completely negligible. If I put a game on without knowing the FPS, you could tell me it is 30 or 60 and I'd believe you either way. I can only see the difference when doing side by side comparisons.

JON4495

11/11. Hardest one for me was race the sun, easiest was counter strike.

Almost thought I got one wrong when I clicked on a video but I saw the mouse cursor on the other one, didn't realise the mouse was part of the video at first lol

Dizzy

Banned
11/11.

On mobile,didnt even need to wait for both videos to load on some. I could tell right away if one was 30 or 60fps.

60 just looks so smoother. That said I'm not too fussy. I have no problem with games at 30fps.

Hixx

10/11

I'm not one of those people who think all games must be 60fps but there's an undeniable difference in smoothness visually as well as when it comes to responsiveness.

One of my favourite examples is the Batman Arkham games. I am so much better at the combat in that game when it's at 60fps, to the point where when I played AC on 360 I got frustrated at how many times I got hit.

Seanspeed

Banned
If you take a game designed to be played at 60 and then cut that in half of course you're going to feel a difference. However games which are meant to be played at 30 generally feel fine. Take Horizon 2 for example, it's at 30 and the racing feels just as good as on Forza 5. The sense of speed is incredible.
Just not true. There is more to it than just 'sense of speed'. Your ability to drive with precision is reduced at 30fps, no matter how much you 'design the game around 30fps'. You just don't notice it because you aren't doing the same sort of precision driving that you do in Forza 5. The visual smoothness *is* affected as well, even if a healthy, consistent 30fps plus motion blur can lessen the distinction.

Your logic seems to be saying that any game feels the same so long as its 'designed' for a specific framerate and that definitely isn't the case at all. If this was the case, then no game would ever be 'designed' to run at 60fps. They could get equal results at 30fps, but could push the graphics much harder. Forza 5 wouldn't be 60fps, but 30fps. But its not because 60fps is still smoother and provides improved response and playability.

VSynk

Banned
Yup, it's like day and night.

And for what is worth i get light motion sickness when i change from one to the other(whether it's form 30 to 60 or from 60 to 30 weird but it happens).

Also unstable FPS is even more noticeable.

BokehKing

Banned
See the difference? What about "FEEL" the difference, because when you (let's say Last of Us Remastered, 30 vs 60) you can feel the difference which helps you see the diffr

Top Bottom