• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada Poligaf - The Wrath of Harperland

Status
Not open for further replies.

lupinko

1106421167.jpg

I got 80% with the Bloc even though I said no to Quebec sovereignty. Lmao

The Cons I got 34%.

Sure, but the point stands. Also, the Charter and Health Act are over 30 years old, not 9.

I don't know about you guys, but I like basing my political-party support on whether they helped pass Very Important Bills 30-45 years ago and not whether they actually deserve my vote based on what they're doing today.

e: also the Bloc is this high up even with all my sovereignty-related answers basically being "eat a dick, pequistes"

Mr.Mike

Interestingly I'm the second most conservative person here (so far). Mostly I guess because I supported free trade and all the pipelines.

I'm a Liberal supporter, I was at the after party when they passed the same sex marriage legislation.

But I also know that it was ultimately the Supreme Court of Canada that forced the government to pass that law. I'm pretty sure any government would have passed that legislation since the SCC had ruled that any thing else who be unconstitutional.

Yeah, if we use that reasoning, then we have to credit the Ontario PCs for legalizing same-sex marriage in Ontario in 2003. There are a lot of other progressive things the Liberals have done though.

Blegh. I think it was all those provincial rights questions. Also, there were no questions about carbon pricing. I'm all for pipelines so long as the companies pay for the pollution they cause; not a huge fan of the million and one regulations route.

Boogie

Interestingly I'm the second most conservative person here (so far). Mostly I guess because I supported free trade and all the pipelines.

Ah, yes. I also threw in pipeline and free trade support, so that's probably where much of my Con rating comes from as well.

Even matthewwhatever agrees that it was the Liberals that fucked up and let Harper win.

Gutter, you need to get over the fact that the Harper's victory in 2006 had nothing to do with the NDP. Paul Martin screwed up, plain and simple. He was a great Finance Minister but a very poor Prime Minister.

1) I love how somehow I've become an example of crazy partisanship in here.

2) Because Martin was such a spectacular failure as PM, I'm more inclined to give credit for his achievements as Finance Minister to Chretien. As Azih noted, they balanced the budget in the '90s on the backs of the provinces by drastically cutting the Canada Health and Social Transfers. Is there anything during Martin's time as PM to suggest that he would've been the one to make hard choices like that on his own? Even when he was seen as some kind of unstoppable juggernaut who was going to lead the Liberals to a record number of seats, there were still plenty of signs that he was far too wishy-washy, and that it was Chretien who was the stubborn one willing to do unpopular things.

3) And if we're talking about the real Liberal legacy from the Chretien-Martin years, I'd place way more emphasis on their reforms to political financing. Chretien banned corporate and union donations, implemented per-vote subsidies, shot down Harper's push for third-party election advertising (which Harper was very loudly in favour of while he was running a right-wing thinktank, to the point of taking it all the way to the SCC). He did that even though it substantially impacted his own party. Admittedly, part of his desire to do that may have been to screw over Martin, but still: gay marriage was probably going to happen regardless of who was in power, since it had fairly multipartisan support. I don't think the same could be said for the political finance changes.

Ah, yes. I also threw in pipeline and free trade support, so that's probably where much of my Con rating comes from as well.

I don't think it's free trade, because I checked that off as one of my most important criteria, and it still had me as sub-30% Conservative. I think it's mainly about whether you support pipelines.

Azih

apparently Harper is backing out of the debates headed by the media consortium

takes his ball and goes home

He's never had any interest in appealing to a broad range of Canadians. His strategy has always been to get enough micro groups on board on top of his loyal core to earn a fake majority.

The question becomes is it even useful to have debates without the freaking PM attending? Why tear each other down while Harper tries to incrementally inch back up to aprrox 38 percent support?

maharg

idspispopd
apparently Harper is backing out of the debates headed by the media consortium

takes his ball and goes home

Didn't this happen like a couple of months ago? Is there something new?

He's never had any interest in appealing to a broad range of Canadians. His strategy has always been to get enough micro groups on board on top of his loyal core to earn a fake majority.

The question becomes is it even useful to have debates without the freaking PM attending? Why tear each other down while Harper tries to incrementally inch back up to aprrox 38 percent support?

Er... Free national air time that people watch is pretty valuable when you're trying to get the message out. And about 60% of Canadians are looking to figure out which of the non-Harpers to vote for. Arguably, right now, an opposition-only debate is more valuable to more people than the 5-10% or so of voters who still think they might vote for Harper but aren't sure.

Didn't this happen like a couple of months ago? Is there something new?

Er... Free national air time that people watch is pretty valuable when you're trying to get the message out. And about 60% of Canadians are looking to figure out which of the non-Harpers to vote for. Arguably, right now, an opposition-only debate is more valuable to more people than the 5-10% or so of voters who still think they might vote for Harper but aren't sure.

The new thing is that the Broadcasters Consortium announced the dates for the official debates yesterday -- Oct. 7th and 8th. And they made it clear that they'd be happening with or without Harper.

Harper has to be the one to blink here, right? Giving his opponents 2 hours on prime time TV to talk about themselves and about why they deserve to replace him seems like it would be suicidal. I know CPC voters are pretty firmly attached to him, but this seems like it would be taking that for granted to a pretty extreme degree.

maharg

idspispopd
I think it's pretty boneheaded of Harper, but it's not like he hasn't surprised me with moves like this before working out much better than I expected.

I do think there has to be a point where refusing to appeal to anyone but your core base will hurt you. I hope this is it, but who can say.

gabbo

The new thing is that the Broadcasters Consortium announced the dates for the official debates yesterday -- Oct. 7th and 8th. And they made it clear that they'd be happening with or without Harper.

Harper has to be the one to blink here, right? Giving his opponents 2 hours on prime time TV to talk about themselves and about why they deserve to replace him seems like it would be suicidal. I know CPC voters are pretty firmly attached to him, but this seems like it would be taking that for granted to a pretty extreme degree.

Could work in his favour if Mulcair and Trudeau tear into each other for 2 hours

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If he doesn't show up, it becomes about exploiting the fact that he isn't there. Ultimately, all you want is a sound byte that you can turn into a gif/meme on youtube, and I'm sure at least Mulcair can come up with a line that shits on Harper for his absence that could catch on.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
If he doesn't show up, it becomes about exploiting the fact that he isn't there. Ultimately, all you want is a sound byte that you can turn into a gif/meme on youtube, and I'm sure at least Mulcair can come up with a line that shits on Harper for his absence that could catch on.
One of the opposition asks an empty seat what Harper plans to do for the country.

Announcer: Stephen Harper, never there when you need him.

Could work in his favour if Mulcair and Trudeau tear into each other for 2 hours

There's the potential for that, sure, but I think it's more likely that it just solidifies support behind one party or the other. The "wrong track" numbers for Harper are pretty abysmal, and they've been trending that way for months now. In 2011, even if the Cons only got 40%, the number of people saying the country was headed in the right direction was higher. Now, every poll suggests people want change, so giving his two rivals a chance to blast him and look prime ministerial seems like a really dangerous move.

I mean, there is a school of thought that believes that just by having a President or a Prime Minister appear on the same stage as his/her rivals, they lower themselves and confer legitimacy on the others, so it's possible Harper believes that (along with your theory)...but that seems like an incredibly risky plan. Banking on both Trudeau and Mulcair to have horrible performances, where they both tear into each other to a point where they're both so degraded that they've disqualified themselves from being PM? Maybe it's just willful blindness on my part, since I never got what people liked about Harper in the first place, but I just can't imagine that.

gabbo

There's the potential for that, sure, but I think it's more likely that it just solidifies support behind one party or the other. The "wrong track" numbers for Harper are pretty abysmal, and they've been trending that way for months now. In 2011, even if the Cons only got 40%, the number of people saying the country was headed in the right direction was higher. Now, every poll suggests people want change, so giving his two rivals a chance to blast him and look prime ministerial seems like a really dangerous move.

I mean, there is a school of thought that believes that just by having a President or a Prime Minister appear on the same stage as his/her rivals, they lower themselves and confer legitimacy on the others, so it's possible Harper believes that (along with your theory)...but that seems like an incredibly risky plan. Banking on both Trudeau and Mulcair to have horrible performances, where they both tear into each other to a point where they're both so degraded that they've disqualified themselves from being PM? Maybe it's just willful blindness on my part, since I never got what people liked about Harper in the first place, but I just can't imagine that.

I'm not saying I buy into that theory either, it's just something I've seen thrown around as justification.
I think it can only hurt him. Like a reverse EmptyObamaChair.

fringe parties that have never had representation or have less than 2% of the national vote should not be included in such surveys

the Commies got 0.02% of the popular vote, they should not be included in this survey.

it should be strictly Con, Lib, NDP, Green outside of Quebec. The Bloc should be only allowed to included in the survey if you live in Quebec

Sibylus

Banned
mKvyhgN.jpg

More or less expected that it's going to come down to a battle of inches between the Liberals and NDP for me (with bills like C-51 potentially deciding).

Also, that feel when the Communist Party, Bloc Quebecois, Libertarian, and Christian Heritage party all beat out the majority government in power.

Plus they've dropped their forecast for Canada's growth to just over 1% this year, and they've lowered interests rates again. I know that the Conservative base is pretty tied to Harper, but at some point, they have to abandon him, right?

On a mostly unrelated note, Wai Young now claims she "misspoke" when she said Jesus would've supported C-51 (and, much more disturbingly, that CSIS knew in advance about the Air India bombing). I didn't realize it, but apparently she also repeated Kory Teneycke's line about the media not reporting the truth, which suggests that that's now one of their talking points. So...I guess the Conservative plan for the election is 1) keep their base even more suspicious of the media's reporting on anything that's not complimentary towards the CPC, 2) and 2) hope that they're too terrified of a terrorist attack to notice the economy is in the tank?

Azih

A party's base doesn't abandon it, it just gets too despondent to bother going out to vote in large enough numbers and that might be what the Conservatives are staring at.

It seems like they've settled on 'stability' as their talking point which is a really hard line to sell when the electorate seems to be ready for a change. Throw in scandals and a plunging dollar and now a tanking economy and well... things seem pretty bad for the incumbents at this point.

Plus with the news of the Iran/US deal. Stephen Harper's "Fear the Muslims. All the Muslims" schtick seems out of touch rather than timely.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
The official PMO response is out and...well...

CJ9zN04UAAAUw15.png

That sounds a little unhinged even by their standards, right? Like, it's not just me?

The Conservatives are like a caricature of politics.

"We have nothing to do with the poor economy. Oh and btw, Trudeau sucks and Mulcair sucks too"

That's essentially what their statement boils down to.

Also, why the hell did the Conservative support go up on the CBC poll tracker? Who are the morons still supporting them? I really don't understand at all.

"The economy is bad but it's not our fault. Taxes are bad."

#CPCJesus

#CPCJesus is so yesterday. Today it's #HarperBlamesTrudeau.

The assumption in politics has always been that people tune out over the summer and over Christmas. The Christmas one was disproved by Harper's first win in 2006 (some pollsters found that people's choices solidified after talking with their families at Christmas dinners), so it would be wonderfully ironic if the Conservatives end their time in office by proving people don't tune out in the summer, either.

The Conservatives are like a caricature of politics.

"We have nothing to do with the poor economy. Oh and btw, Trudeau sucks and Mulcair sucks too"

That's essentially what their statement boils down to.

Also, why the hell did the Conservative support go up on the CBC poll tracker? Who are the morons still supporting them? I really don't understand at all.

Ontarians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom