• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals and Discussion Thread 5: Much Ado Aboot Shipping

Any deals on wiiu pro controllers?

I just bought smash but playing on the gamepad hurts my hand (which is odd because it's comfortable for every other game).

zroid

Banned
I should re-buy Metal Gear Rising now, traded it in ages ago for one of those FS trade deals. always intended to get another copy when it was cheaper.

Past

I can't remember the last time I've seen Ninja Gaiden Razor Edge WiiU for $12.99. Was it ever this cheap?

Yes, bought it for $9.99 at Target when they had their clearance sale a while ago.

Interesting. But that was a .com thing not .ca. You were only allowed to add 1 to your cart. I do wonder if it leaks over to Canada and by extension, to FutureShop.

You could've easily made multiple orders though. The console was up for like 20 minutes, people could've placed 10+ orders between the two sites by the time it sold out.

zroid

Banned
I bought Razor's Edge Wii U for $4.99 from Best Buy a few months ago, but I'm pretty sure that was a YMMV clearance deal

SickBoy

My local Target was really busy today too. It's Blockbuster all over again, where people bought everything before the good deals even started :\

Yeah, I guess it's human nature, but I found it a bit depressing to go on Saturday and see my favoured Target location busier than I'd ever seen it outside of Boxing Day/Black Friday.

...and people leaving with bags of regular-priced stuff, from that store that "has nothing." I think that's gotta be depressing for people who work there.

I will say that my experience Saturday suggest supply/stock issues that seem to have continued to the end. Saw a bunch of stuff in the videogame section that hadn't been there for weeks. Possibly just a well-timed restock, but games like Shadow of Mordor and Fantasy Life were on the shelves... hadn't seen those since before Christmas.

I have a bunch of money (gift cards) to spend there, after cashing out my rewards balance from my RBC "RedCard". According to Target's website, GCs will be honoured through the liquidation... but I'll probably just find something I like after the cards arrive.

I'll have to find a new place to pop into after work on afternoons when I don't want to rush straight home.

Not really a deal per se but my Nintendo Store order screwed up today, so I had to redo it by phone.

As an apology, Nintendo gave me free expedited shipping. I can't wait to be able to play MH4U with a circle pad pro!

iZaTGxQitgsZv.png

I'm pretty hyped.

More info on Target shutting down. Apparently suppliers aren't sending anything to stores now. So like I mentioned in the Amiibo thread, if Rosalina isn't already sitting in storage at these stores...she doesn't look likely to be released through Target in Canada. http://fw.to/ahimpbg

I sold my OG 3DS, but forgot to give the people the Circle Pad Pro that I was given and barely used.

It's up on Kijiji, but nobody seems to want it (including the people who bought the system, as I offered it to them for free), so I guess I'll just throw it out.

I was just asking a bit for it. $5 would be great, as it'd buy me two hot chocolates.

Luigi87

More info on Target shutting down. Apparently suppliers aren't sending anything to stores now. So like I mentioned in the Amiibo thread, if Rosalina isn't already sitting in storage at these stores...she doesn't look likely to be released through Target in Canada. http://fw.to/ahimpbg

A Nintendo rep I talked to the other day already confirmed that they won't be sending Amiibo to Targets, and it's unknown what's going on with her at this point.

Hopefully Target will still have stock and sales on controllers when liquidation hits. That and gift cards or prepaid cards, though they will likely just send those back to the supplier.

Luigi87

Hopefully Target will still have stock and sales on controllers when liquidation hits. That and gift cards or prepaid cards, though they will likely just send those back to the supplier.

Controllers and the like will probably be shipped back.
All prepaid cards were pulled and deactivated from being sellable at 10AM on Thursday.

Sealtest

A Nintendo rep I talked to the other day already confirmed that they won't be sending Amiibo to Targets, and it's unknown what's going on with her at this point.
Well fuck.. This news about target closing came out literally hours after I cancelled my france order because I just didn't have the money for import + the new 3ds xl and I hoped I could get her locally :(

I can see them just redirecting the supply to the states but obviously, that would suck. Here's hoping that Nintendo is wanting to put in the effort to get her released in Canada. Walmart got left out in the cold with these exclusives. It'd be nice to see a release there. Then everyone in the country would at least have a shot at her since they actually HAVE a webstore (unlike Target...what were they thinking?).

jitterbug

Neo Member
I was in Toys R Us today asking the employee if they would be getting any Majora's Mask Limited Skull Kid Editions (yeah I know a shot in the dark, but, I am desperate) after laughing and telling me they wouldn't he started talking about how limited nintendo items are becoming in general. He then started talking about amiibo's and said that Toys R Us would be absorbing Target Canada's Amiibo stock including Rosalina. I kind of took the news with a grain of salt as it seems a little early for anyone to know that for certain but, he did put it out there.

Banned
I'm getting a PS4 within the next few weeks. Hopefully the target clearance will have some consoles for sale and I can stock up on some games that've been out for awhile.

IceIpor

Controllers and the like will probably be shipped back.
All prepaid cards were pulled and deactivated from being sellable at 10AM on Thursday.
Here's the dealio, as far as I know:

Target Canada is considered separate from Target US. So I don't think there is going to be any cross-border shipping.

Any order, that Target has made, that have already been placed and paid for will still be shipped to Target.
All other orders have been cancelled and nothing new will be placed.

Nothing that is already purchased by Target is getting shipped back. The manufacturers don't own the product anymore, Target does. Everything will be liquidated.

Gift cards are only considered sold when activated, so those got given back to the vendors.

Now with that said...
It is first come, first served. There will be no returns for ANY purchases once liquidation starts. Any previous purchases will become final and nonreturnable once it starts.

Here's a link proving that vendors are not allowed to take back product: http://pressroom.target.ca/news/questions-answers

What will happen to our products currently in stores?

The “Stay of Proceedings” established by the Initial Order precludes vendors from taking back any goods previously delivered to Target Canada. The proceeds from those sales will contribute to the ultimate recovery of creditors as part of the claims process.

Luigi87

Technically vendors refers to outside companies that come into Target and setup their product for distribution, as opposed to the products shipped from the Target warehouses. This includes companies like Carlton Cards, Coke, Pepsi, Frito Lays, and bread companies.

Sora_N

I was in Toys R Us today asking the employee if they would be getting any Majora's Mask Limited Skull Kid Editions (yeah I know a shot in the dark, but, I am desperate) after laughing and telling me they wouldn't he started talking about how limited nintendo items are becoming in general. He then started talking about amiibo's and said that Toys R Us would be absorbing Target Canada's Amiibo stock including Rosalina. I kind of took the news with a grain of salt as it seems a little early for anyone to know that for certain but, he did put it out there.

Employees wouldn't know that much if the managers don't even know shit. The managers wouldn't give a shit about one small item in a toy line so they would usually be clueless about it. That's how it was when I worked there, managers either don't know or don't care about things like that and would pretend to know about it.

Sounds like that guy is just speculating. it is possible though

IceIpor

Technically vendors refers to outside companies that come into Target and setup their product for distribution, as opposed to the products shipped from the Target warehouses. This includes companies like Carlton Cards, Coke, Pepsi, Frito Lays, and bread companies.
Yes, but most of the products in the store are already purchased by Target. There are only a few things that aren't. Like "behind-the-counter" drugs.

The court proceedings made it clear that the suppliers/landlords/etc are not allowed to make any claims against Target (due to the closing) until Feb 13. So nothing is going to happen before then.

jitterbug

Neo Member
Employees wouldn't know that much if the managers don't even know shit. The managers wouldn't give a shit about one small item in a toy line so they would usually be clueless about it. That's how it was when I worked there, managers either don't know or don't care about things like that and would pretend to know about it.

Sounds like that guy is just speculating. it is possible though

That's how I totally took the information. For a deal to be in place that quickly sounds unlikely. It is most likely wishful thinking, I was just surprised to hear it.

zroid

Banned
That's how I totally took the information. For a deal to be in place that quickly sounds unlikely. It is most likely wishful thinking, I was just surprised to hear it.

only way it's plausible is if the guy you spoke to was referring to TRU absorbing a lot more of Target's stock than just amiibo, in which case it might have been a plan which had been in place for a while

Hmm.. some guy on my local Kijiji is offering an unopened PS4 Destiny Ghost Edition, or a SNES Earthbound, for the Majora's Mask Skull Kid Edition. Seems like a good deal, but I would prefer cash in order to buy a GameCube adapter or a New 3DS XL. The Destiny Ghost Edition does seem to sell for $250 on eBay, but that seems very dangerous :S

Firestorm

Hmm.. some guy on my local Kijiji is offering an unopened PS4 Destiny Ghost Edition, or a SNES Earthbound, for the Majora's Mask Skull Kid Edition. Seems like a good deal, but I would prefer cash in order to buy a GameCube adapter or a New 3DS XL. The Destiny Ghost Edition does seem to sell for $250 on eBay, but that seems very dangerous :S

This has scam written all over it.

This has scam written all over it.

Yeah, it does seem ridiculous to offer the Ghost edition instead of selling that, buying MM, and keeping the difference. I don't know how it would be a scam, though. Unless the guy planned on robbing whoever trades him, or Earthbound doesn't work, or something.

I just checked the ad again. His city isn't my city, so maybe the difference is due to him wanting it delivered the ~1 hour distance. But, he has two ads, and each ad has a different address in his city. That is definitely suspicious.

zroid

Banned
For those getting a new 3ds XL and also need to get a microsd card, which one are you planning on getting. I'm looking at this one (cause I have expiring best buy rewards) but I'm not 100% sure what is the best.

http://m.bestbuy.ca/defaultpage.aspx?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&sku=10283735&lang=en-CA

A bunch of us bought one at Wal-Mart on Black Friday for $13 -- it was a 32GB Lexar card, but not the same one you linked. Less fancy.

I think if you wanted to save some money you'd likely be fine with this:
http://www.ncix.com/detail/kingston-32gb-microsdhc-class-10-c0-90256-1448.htm

edit: I usually use my Best Buy rewards on eShop or PSN cards FWIW

Bummer about Target. I've worked in electronics at Walmart for a few years now and Target tried to get me to transfer over, thankfully I didn't. Hope everyone lands on their feet!
As for Rosalina, that Toys R Us dude is making shit up, according to my Nintendo rep nobody has any idea what's going on with Rosalina yet. I hope she just gets a wide release at all retailers. Would make life a lot easier for everyone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Bummer about Target. I've worked in electronics at Walmart for a few years now and Target tried to get me to transfer over, thankfully I didn't. Hope everyone lands on their feet!
As for Rosalina, that Toys R Us dude is making shit up, according to my Nintendo rep nobody has any idea what's going on with Rosalina yet. I hope she just gets a wide release at all retailers. Would make life a lot easier for everyone.
Imagine the American salt if that happens.

wait, you can do that? last time I tried, they said I can't.

Reward Zone certificates are like cash and a form of payment, so yes they work.

It's the same deal about using gift cards to purchase transit passes or lottery tickets. Some retailers don't let you do that which is silly/possibly wrong.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
lol @ EB selling out of the MH4 n3DS XL instantly.

I wonder what the ratio of scalpers to Monster Hunter fans are and how extremely limited these must be. Because I know Tri / 3U brought plenty of new fans to the series, but it's still very niche. I hope it means a lot of new people getting into the series.

Anyone in Vancouver ever shop at Play Asia? I'm looking to grab a game, will I have to pay customs fees?

I too would like to know the answer to this (although I'm in Winnipeg). My new MH4 3DS will want a clear case and Hori as of yet has nothing to announce for options to get ones in Canada.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I've made a few purchases from Play-Asia, usually in the $50-100 range and I've never had custom / brokerage fees. But this was many years ago. All I can say about importing, avoid UPS at all cost.

I sold my OG 3DS, but forgot to give the people the Circle Pad Pro that I was given and barely used.

It's up on Kijiji, but nobody seems to want it (including the people who bought the system, as I offered it to them for free), so I guess I'll just throw it out.

I was just asking a bit for it. $5 would be great, as it'd buy me two hot chocolates.

whoah whoah whoah!

are you actually throwing that out?

Did you already throw it out? lol

If you don't want it, I'll take it off your hands! If you're in toronto, that is

Top Bottom