• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 8: Don't Move Here For The Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiijj

I hate you all, I decided I was going to keep my Wii U and games. But with all this talk of trade-in's.... the temptation to ditch it all is pretty strong lol

How bout we all complain bout shipping instead!

That'll come back in full force early march.

I hate you all, I decided I was going to keep my Wii U and games. But with all this talk of trade-in's.... the temptation to ditch it all is pretty strong lol

How bout we all complain bout shipping instead!

There is nothing wrong with keeping your wii u and not getting a switch at launch.

Shipping talk should be back on friday and next tuesday.

UberTag

Maybe currency exchange, canadian dollar probably dropped a bit.
And yet the Canadian dollar is now at its highest point against the US dollar since late September (76.66 cents US).
Could spike even further depending on what the Bank of Canada does with interest rates tomorrow.

I just went to EB at Fairview mall - I have enough games to get a switch for free. I was turned away because they aren't taking any trades without a preorder - and they are all out of preorders. What should I do now GAF?

Edit: I noticed a poster above said put it towards games and accessories. I was told by the rep that the promotion is only applicable towards Switch preorders - meaning since they are sold out I am stuck with $450 worth of trade ins

Have the eb website promo page ready to show on your phone when you go there.

bryt

Wait so are you guys saying I can trade stuff in for the double credit on random Switch games/accessories then just transfer that credit to Persona 5 if I wanted to?

Oh boy, the EB Games trade-in was a hassle.

So I took these for trade:

Doubles Values:
Mario Kart 8 - $50
Uncharted 4 - $48
Overwatch - $48
Hyrule Warriors - $48
Pokken Tournament - $50

Trade 3/$80 (base values);
Driveclub - $9
Rayman Legends - $9
Tales of Xillia - $8
Street Fighter - $12
Ultimate NES Remix - $9
The Evil Within - $10
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity - $9
Dragon Ball Xenoverse - $13
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny - $8
Paper Mario Sticker Star - $10
Yoshi's New Island - $9

I also took Mario Tennis Open but it was only worth $7 base.

So because I had to trade the 11 specific titles for games, the double value ones I did first and had no trouble doing. I managed to get Zelda, Joy-Con set, and $64 on an individual Joy-Con. I plan to move the credit from the 3 Joy-Cons to games when their database is updated.

Doing the 3/$80 part was a challenge. They hardly have an games in their system, and picking certain games like Binding of Isaac didn't give the correct value, but that may have been because Mario Tennis was involved at that point. After much time, the employee did 4 separate 3/80 (last one was 2 x $26.67) transactions. I was going to do all 4 as Zelda at first because the only other $80 game is Lego, but that didn't work. I managed to get 1 Zelda copy, 2 Lego copies, and $53.40 on 1-2-Switch.

The employee said I should be able to switch the credit onto other games/Switch stuff when it comes available, so I hope they update their database before launch. If not, hopefully returning all the controllers and games except for 1 Zelda copy will give me the same credit.

Here's some Switch trade values I did tonight for ya'll:

Double value (trade credit after being doubled):

Titanfall 2 (PS4) - $56
Xenoblade Chronicles X - $54
Mario Kart 8 - $50
Splatoon - $56
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 - $10
Dark Souls II: SotfS (PS4) - $14

Trade 3 for a Switch game:

Super Smash Bros. 3DS
Super Mario 3D Land
Donkey Kong Country Returns

Kingdom Hearts 3DS
Kingdom Hearts 2.5
Shadow Warrior (PS4)

Came out to exactly 5 Switch games because the double trade value ones added up to $240. I basically just stacked up a bunch of copies of Zelda because barely any games are pre-orderable in their system yet, can change it later.

Renewed

Yeah they had a problem applying my double credit towards the Switch so we had to split to 3 trade-ins per transaction. Kind of annoying but it all worked out. Now I have like 5 receipts lol

bryt

Is EB taking preorders for Mario Odyssey? I want to put all my credit towards this game so I have ~10 months to spend all this credit I'm about to get.

EDIT: Actually... now that I think about. I can probably just keep transferring my preorders to games that are releasing later and later.

iphys

I went crazy and traded in 10 Wii U/3DS games to get $355 toward Switch stuff. I decided the trade-in values were good enough that even if I later regretted it, I could probably pick up digital copies on the eShop when they do sales to replace the games for about the same cost as I'm getting in trade value, and I'd rather have digital copies for convenience if I'm going to end up keeping a game forever but honestly I'll probably never want to play those games again anyway. I also lucked out and they had exactly one Switch pre-order available at the store, so I snagged that to be able to trade in a new XL for $150 and cancel my BB order. So all together that's going to be $505 plus $75.75 in taxes I won't have to pay, which makes the Switch seem far less scary to my wallet.

Here's some Switch trade values I did tonight for ya'll:

Came out to exactly 5 Switch games because the double trade value ones added up to $240. I basically just stacked up a bunch of copies of Zelda because barely any games are pre-orderable in their system yet, can change it later.

See, I was going to do 4 copies of Zelda for the trade 3 get it free promo, but the guy said the computer only allowed 1 copy. However, Lego was able to be done twice.

I actually legitimately wanted Has Been Heroes, and despite it being on their flyer for the promo, and on their list of games, I wasn't able to get it.

So I talked with a Amazon rep about my March 8-10th delivery date of the Switch I preordered. No release date delivery for me apparently. If I have Prime I'm entitled to release date delivery right?

CazTGG

I guess that's good enough except that you'll pay $80 instead of $65 plus the 30% off. At least if it goes down in price you'll be able to get the lowered price plus 30% off.

I'm not expecting another Xenoblade Chronicles X but we'll see if something happens prior to the system's launch.

As an aside, I was able to secure a Red/Blue Switch via Toys R' Us so I won't have to rely on importing it from France. Hooray! I did try to inquire as to their availability, but the rep said they would be taking pre-orders until the higher ups said they wouldn't be taking any more and didn't mention any concrete numbers, not even for how many each specific model would be receiving at this outlet.

tiijj

So I talked with a Amazon rep about my March 8-10th delivery date of the Switch I preordered. No release date delivery for me apparently. If I have Prime I'm entitled to release date delivery right?

Not entitled to it since prime has different types, they have two days, they have same day, they have release day delivery. It depends on which item it is.

I know that lego underground is release day delivery, I got an email saying that.

I'm not expecting another Xenoblade Chronicles X but we'll see if something happens prior to the system's launch.

As an aside, I was able to secure a Red/Blue Switch via Toys R' Us so I won't have to rely on importing it from France. Hooray! I did try to inquire as to their availability, but the rep said they would be taking pre-orders until the higher ups said they wouldn't be taking any more and didn't mention any concrete numbers, not even for how many each specific model would be receiving at this outlet.

Well at least going down to $65 base price.

Since I traded in my Pokken, I took the Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card out of the case. I looked up the value on eBay completed listings, and it seems to be going for $30-50 Canadian. I should sell mine.

CRA5H

Since I traded in my Pokken, I took the Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card out of the case. I looked up the value on eBay completed listings, and it seems to be going for $30-50 Canadian. I should sell mine.
Lol I traded it in yesterday and I almost decided to leave it in there. Good thing I didn't.

Update: On my third try after not getting anywhere previously, I was successful in getting Amazon chat to match the Wii U pre-order price on the Switch version. Took over an hour to make it happen as the guy had to hassle his lead into approving it, but he managed to do it!

sa7xvcU.png

(actually it's $5 cheaper than my old order... I'm not complaining)

Also, worth noting I do not have Prime and this was still possible.

kurahadol

Update: On my third try after not getting anywhere previously, I was successful in getting Amazon chat to match the Wii U pre-order price on the Switch version. Took over an hour to make it happen as the guy had to hassle his lead into approving it, but he managed to do it!

sa7xvcU.png

(actually it's $5 cheaper than my old order... I'm not complaining)

Also, worth noting I do not have Prime and this was still possible.

Any tips on how to approach it before I attempt?

Any tips on how to approach it before I attempt?

This is what I started the chat with:

Hi there, hope you're doing well today! I was wondering if you might be able to change the platform of a video game in my order #_______ for me today. The item is The Legend of Zelda for Wii U and I would like to change it to the Nintendo Switch version. It's the same game, just a different platform. Here is a link to the item: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01N33O68B/ I appreciate you checking in on this for me, thank you!

Good luck!

You really shouldn't have a leg to stand on. The Wii U version still exists. There's no way they'd have pre-orders for a game on a console that didn't even exist until a couple months ago.

iphys

Is there a good reason to want to switch Zelda from a Wii U pre-order to Switch? I feel like if the game was designed for Wii U in the first place, there shouldn't be anything wrong with it on Wii U, and also just that this is the Zelda we were promised for Wii U and there should properly be another Zelda for Switch.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Is there a good reason to want to switch Zelda from a Wii U pre-order to Switch? I feel like if the game was designed for Wii U in the first place, there shouldn't be anything wrong with it on Wii U, and also just that this is the Zelda we were promised for Wii U and there should properly be another Zelda for Switch.

There was a thread here outlining the differences.

Basically, Switch is 900p, has slightly sharper textures and runs more stable.

WiiU version is 720p, slightly blurrier, and dips more often.

Otherwise they're both 30fps and the exact same game.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

Better sound effects on the Switch version also.

iphys

Would be nice to have a launch title to play on the Switch, but I think I'll stick with this game as being the Wii U swan song.

diaspora

Uncharted Collection: $14
Uncharted 4: $48
Killzone 4- Why Did I Ever Buy This: $5
Ratchet & Clank: $14
Bloodborne: $18
= $99

Though at least 3 of these qualifies for the trade in 3 get an additional $10 and I don't see it on my receipt.

AzerPhire

Uncharted Collection: $14
Uncharted 4: $48
Killzone 4- Why Did I Ever Buy This: $5
Ratchet & Clank: $14
Bloodborne: $18
= $99

Though at least 3 of these qualifies for the trade in 3 get an additional $10 and I don't see it on my receipt.

The only ones that qualify for trade 3 are Uncharted 4 and Bloodborne. The games have to have an original trade in value > $8 to qualify.

tiijj

Damn, so exclusive and sold out, and no Special Edition launching in Canada.
Sad days.

BB will get it:
LOL ya that's what I meant, and ya I believe Best Buy said they were getting it.

Here's the statement from BB confirming it.

Hey, people.

Here's my final update for today:

Best Buy Canada will have the Special Edition, but we will NOT be getting the Master Edition.

As of now, the exact dates for when the Special Edition will be available for pre-order is TBD. I won't be getting that info for at least a couple weeks. I will post on this thread once the gaming department confirms some dates. Smiley Happy

tiijj

So I have a Switch pre ordered on Amazon but my buddy has offered me his Best Buy.ca pre order. Historically in terms of shipping, which is the better option?

In my experience most of the time BB's better in terms of shipping/dispatching speed.

Edit: except during PS4 release back in 2013, it shipped the night of release day, since it was released on a friday I got it like tuesday or wednesday the week after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom