• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fularu

Banned
Bank of Canada needs to increase interest rates some more so we can reach parity.

I know they plan on two more increases (at the very least) but they should maje sure they happen sooner rather than later. The weight of the current exchange rate is too heavy on canadian homes right now

Bank of Canada needs to increase interest rates some more so we can reach parity.

I know they plan on two more increases (at the very least) but they should maje sure they happen sooner rather than later. The weight of the current exchange rate is too heavy on canadian homes right now

You must not have a mortgage.

Socreges

Banned
Isn't lower dollar generally better for our economy with the jobs it creates or am I thinking too much about film industry?
Good for Canadian companies that work with USD for sure. The company I work for has contracts with US companies and gets paid in USD so if the dollar goes back to parity we lose loads of money.

BadHand

Travelling to the UK for one month tomorrow and won't be spending much time near an internet connection. Will probably miss the SNES god dammit. Unless it goes up tomorrow morning.

Haines

Banned
Yall are paying an extra 10 bucks or so just for the CD?

How come amazon wont show me what i really am paying for my order of samus returns.

Like it will link me to the buy page which isnt accurate, bc i bought it on the price match of walmart.

Its really frustrating that it just says full price when you look at the orders

Can anyone explain this to me bc its been driving me nuts for months now

Yall are paying an extra 10 bucks or so just for the CD?

How come amazon wont show me what i really am paying for my order of samus returns.

Like it will link me to the buy page which isnt accurate, bc i bought it on the price match of walmart.

Its really frustrating that it just says full price when you look at the orders

Can anyone explain this to me bc its been driving me nuts for months now

nh6vIH2.png

SickBoy

Seriously.

And for anyone who doesn't have a mortgage, rent prices would likely go up too.

What we need is for OPEC countries to continue talking about supply decreasing.

While anything OPEC will do will help oil prices for sure, I think we've entered a time (for the next few years at the very least) in which the kind of prices that are really needed to bolster Canada's energy industry just aren't going to happen. Any move made by OPEC that sends oil prices higher will almost certainly be moderated by increased supply from U.S. shale producers.

That's not to say that any sort of OPEC supply reduction wouldn't have a positive impact, but I don't think there's much that can happen in the global market right now that would result in the oil prices that might be needed for the loonie to approach par.

Fularu

Banned
You must not have a mortgage.
I do, that's what fixed rates are for.

You gamble on the economy going bad and the Bank of Canada lowering interest rates to save your ass but in doing so, devalues the money and makes everyone hurt just so you can have a 2,29% (or lower) variable interest rate.

If the Bank of Canada increases its interest rates by .25 in november and .25 in may, your variable rate is going to be 2.79 and that shouldn't break you in any way, shape or form (or you're borowing way above your means in which case.. you should have planed better)

Fularu

Banned
Isn't lower dollar generally better for our economy with the jobs it creates or am I thinking too much about film industry?
It's a common misconception.

The lower the canadian dollar is, the easier it is to export our good but the more expensive it is to import our goods.

In short exporting companies usually make bank while everyone else suffers because the vast majority of what we consume is imported. This leads the typical grocery shopping cart to have increased over 40% for most families over the past 3 years (heavy dollar devaluation means pricier goods).

In the end a low dollar is unsustainable if you want your low and middle income classes to make ends meet.

Also the OPEP isn't going to do squat, Saudi Arabia os using oil in its proxy war with Iran and Russia by tanking oil prices in order to ruin their economy.

Dazzler

On paper it's better, but Canada barely increased exports lol. The only thing the BOC achieved was creating a housing bubble.

I've decided I'm going to continue renting and stop trying to buy an apartment until the dust settles on these future interest rate rises

firehawk12

Subete no aware

You gamble on the economy going bad and the Bank of Canada lowering interest rates to save your ass but in doing so, devalues the money and makes everyone hurt just so you can have a 2,29% (or lower) variable interest rate.

If the Bank of Canada increases its interest rates by .25 in november and .25 in may, your variable rate is going to be 2.79 and that shouldn't break you in any way, shape or form (or you're borowing way above your means in which case.. you should have planed better)

Yeah it feels like a push since it not only drove up the price of goods, but also created this housing bubble where housing prices have increased astronomically in the last decade as people borrow more and more in order to buy a house.

Haines

Banned

Ok, so i nneed to go to broswer to see that.

Its still charging me full with just the 20% preorder bonus off.

Maybe im crazy. Maybe mario and rabbids and samus returns just werent on a deep discount price match ala walmart?

I guess my memory just served me wrong.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ok, so i nneed to go to broswer to see that.

Its still charging me full with just the 20% preorder bonus off.

Maybe im crazy. Maybe mario and rabbids and samus returns just werent on a deep discount price match ala walmart?
I don't think those games were up during the Amazon glitch hours...

It's a balancing act. A low dollar is great for exports, not so much for imports (see price of games)

Depends on the province. Ont and Que both doing relatively well in current situation.

Also a deal to mention, Doom is only $20 on Xbox marketplace, and it seems to be a complete version with extra DLC.

Isn't it also on the One X 4K upgrade list?

Home purchasers in Canada seeking an insured mortgage must now pass a stress test that measures your ability to cope should interest rates rise substantially, up to 4.64% as of last October. This test has already been in place prior to last October for all high-ratio mortgages (anything with less than 20% down payment). So in theory, people shouldn't be broken by a 0.5% increase regardless.

That said, some belt-tightening will need to happen, especially for people buying at the height of the bubble (whenever that is). In Toronto, condo prices have apparently gone up by at least $50K in the last year, I guess because people have finally given up on buying way overpriced houses and are now competing for condos instead. It's a hell of a time to buy anything.

Depends on the province. Ont and Que both doing relatively well in current situation.

Also a deal to mention, Doom is only $20 on Xbox marketplace, and it seems to be a complete version with extra DLC.

Isn't it also on the One X 4K upgrade list?

Bethesda recently put out an update to Doom that folded all the multiplayer DLC back into the main game for free, and I don't think there was any single-player DLC (there certainly aren't any story expansions or mission packs). That probably explains why it seems like it has all the DLC.

khaaan

Home purchasers in Canada seeking an insured mortgage must now pass a stress test that measures your ability to cope should interest rates rise substantially, up to 4.64% as of last October. This test has already been in place prior to last October for all high-ratio mortgages (anything with less than 20% down payment). So in theory, people shouldn't be broken by a 0.5% increase regardless.

That said, some belt-tightening will need to happen, especially for people buying at the height of the bubble (whenever that is). In Toronto, condo prices have apparently gone up by at least $50K in the last year, I guess because people have finally given up on buying way overpriced houses and are now competing for condos instead. It's a hell of a time to buy anything.

If Vancouver can't get sorted then I don't know what can happen that'll ease the GTA. The housing situation is literally the source of almost all my anxiety :(

leeman

Ventara

This was brought up on Discord, but there are some nice anime deals on Amazon right now. Nothing as crazy as the Prime Day glitch, but great nonetheless. Even if you hate moe/fanservice-y, there's still a great selection.

Standouts to me are

Death Note Complete - $25 (or the Omega edition for $33)
Nichijou - $36
Steins;Gate Complete - $26

There's Cowboy Bepop too for $30, but I think this one's been cheaper before.

Trogdor1123

Seriously.

And for anyone who doesn't have a mortgage, rent prices would likely go up too.

What we need is for OPEC countries to continue talking about supply decreasing.
Doesn't matter, the second it hits 55 bucks us shall producers turn on the tap and flood the market again. Oil is never going up again, well at least not the foreseeable future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom