• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Jr.

Anyone still considering the Xbox One X? Curious how fellow Canadians are seeing it now that it's a little closer.

How much is it?

$600?

Yeah no. Almost didn't get the Pro, but I had a PS4 to trade up so it was a little better.

I have nothing else to trade.

Corey31

Anyone still considering the Xbox One X? Curious how fellow Canadians are seeing it now that it's a little closer.

Still considering it. I'm more of an XBOX guy than a Playstation one and more console gamer than PC one.

Will depend on if I get a 4KTV in time. Ironically despite posting about the TCL, I decided to hold off myself. Budget is tight right now.

btkadams

I have a 4k TV now so the One X is definitely a little bit more interesting.... but all my friends are on PS4 and I have a PS4 Pro. I wouldn’t get enough use out of it.. Is it going to be $700? I just can’t do it.

Quick

Banned
Trade-up offer on the PS4 Pro was the only reason I really jumped on it, tbh. Plus my PS4 was sounding a bit rough. Figured it was a good time to pick up the new hardware.

I have no interest in the Xbox One X, but if EB ran a similar promo to the Pro, it probably wouldn't be too bad.

farisr

I kind of got tempted for a bit there after trading in four of my DS3s, and having a XB1S to trade in as well, that would've covered half the cost.

But in the end, the same reasons I wasn't interested in it before made me reconsider. Already have a Pro, and will be playing any multiplayer games on it due to my friends having PS4s. Already have a decent PC that is going to get me near or better visuals/framerate than XB1X. Only thing that wouldn't be on PC are the EA Access games in that quality, and while that service is one of the main reasons I still have an XB1S right now, it's not enough to justify spending 200-300 out of pocket (and 300+ of trade in credit) for those games to be better. Not to mention it'll still take a while for the 1X enhanced EA Access library to build up as well.

I ended up spending that trade in credit on the switch when it came in stock online a couple of days ago.

big_z

I am. I use my Xbox daily for media and gaming is spit between both ps4 and Xbox. (Multiplayer better on Xbox and some digital games are cheaper) If I do get an x then the PS4 will only get used for the odd exclusive going forward.

The main issue is price. I can't even justify the price of a PS4 pro, those seemed half baked and noisy on top of that. Xbox costs even more but imo a more worthwhile upgrade. I mean everything should play best on Xbox. However that price is steep so I'll likely only make the jump if Microsoft does a really good trade up program or there is a hot holiday deal. Hopefully Doritos gives them away again too.

I would upgrade my pc but prices are screwed thanks to crypto so at this point might as well wait until next year for the next gen pc hardware.

I traded during the double trade in credit for an Xbox One X.
I know I should spend the money upgrading my PC but I wanted a 4K player and I prefer the controller over the PS4's. I also have a Pro (bought it for PSVR).

Little interest in the X. I'm annoyed as xbox went from my primary platform for 2 years to being nearly unused for 6 months. I supported them 110%.

Aside from BC which is amazing, and a good dpad, I'm annoyed the software scene has been silent since Gears 4. Them giving up on a console so early in the cycle, sigh, I hope Gamescom shows something other than a forza refresh.

So no, I'll keep the $600. Want a second PS4 arcade stick and a PC upgrade.

Yeah, have a bunch of promo credit tied up in preorders at EB waiting to get moved over to an X. My Xbox One gets the most use out of my consoles and with my LAN events it won't hurt to have a second machine handy so it's a relatively easy sell.

Also having seen the machine live at E3 helps a bit too. Gears 4 was a pretty noticeable jump up from the S though I'm not sure how much of that will carry over to my 1080p set.

Windam

Scaley member

I barely even touch my Pro.

So my OnePlus One is at the 3 year mark, I'm thinking of getting a new phone, do any of you have a OnePlus 5? Seems pretty powerful for the price, I can't believe how expensive the Galaxy S8 is lol

I do! Made the same switch as you. I love it so far. Battery life has been great, fingerprint sensor takes like half a second to unlock, and the camera is decent.

Brooks2304

Neo Member
Is it worth trading a launch PS4 for the PS4 Slim? Haven't really had any issues with the original, but considering it for the price at EB.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Is it worth trading a launch PS4 for the PS4 Slim? Haven't really had any issues with the original, but considering it for the price at EB.

Sure if you want a brand new system (runs quieter, better wifi, 1TB HDD, new controller, etc) with a new warranty and all that.

Depends if you think the upgrade to get brand new everything is worth it.

Tapejara

Only possible disadvantage with the slim is that it doesn't have an optical port. Probably won't matter for most people, but worth keeping in mind if you have an older home theater/audio setup that requires one.

CazTGG

The only reason I have any interest in the X is as a response to the Pro that might cause its price to drop, say, $50. I'm never buying another Microsoft console after the Xbox One DRM debacle.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The only reason I have any interest in the X is as a response to the Pro that might cause its price to drop, say, $50. I'm never buying another Microsoft console after the Xbox One DRM debacle.

Pro is already cheaper than X. At most I see a $50 holiday discount but I doubt Sonys feeling threatened.

Tapejara

So, I've been thinking of importing the Asian English release of Taiko no Tatsujin Drum Sessions. I haven't imported a game in a while so I'm curious where the best place would be?

Play-Asia only has the regular version for pre-order (no drum controller, don't know if that's necessary). Any alternatives that wouldn't get held up in customs for weeks on end?

Ryne

PS4 controller + 1 year of PS+ for 99$ at EBGames until the 24th.

I have a question though. I want a white PS4 controller but my nearest store (the one I have a preorder with that I want to cancel) don't carry them. Can I get this deal with a controller and bring the controller with me to exchange it at another store?

firelogic

Pro is already cheaper than X. At most I see a $50 holiday discount but I doubt Sonys feeling threatened.

Sony may not feel threatened but dropping the Pro's price by another $50 would really step on MS's neck. Specs aside, when the average customer sees a game running on the Pro and X1X side by side, they aren't going to notice much of a difference. Coupled with a $150 USD lower price point, the X1X is going to be a harder sell.

I have a question though. I want a white PS4 controller but my nearest store (the one I have a preorder with that I want to cancel) don't carry them. Can I get this deal with a controller and bring the controller with me to exchange it at another store?

I would only say yes because I have done gaming guarantee satisfaction return to a different store than I originally bought at, because the second store had the replacement game I actually wanted.

Bronetta

Link?

Thats a great deal, Im in for one if its real.

Ryne

Link?

Thats a great deal, Im in for one if its real.

It came in an email:

EN2_17.jpg

You can also choose to get a controller and horizon instead.

rmatheso

Not until I upgrade to a sweet 4K setup and after there are a bunch of 4K supported games. Xbox is my main gaming platform as the bulk of my collection are 360 games. $600 is way too much, will have to be a great EB games trade-in deal though...

Bronetta

It came in an email:

EN2_17.jpg

You can also choose to get a controller and horizon instead.

Er I checked the flyer and they're only showing the Horizon+DS4 combo.

So I called my local EB and he said the system isn't showing a promo for PS+, only Horizon.

krae_man

Got lots of good stuff at The Beat Goes On.

Complete Seinfeld series for $42. RE4 PS4 for $10,

Plus I'm 4 movies closer to completing my Jason Statham collection(Ghosts of Mars, Snatch, Mean Machine, The One).

Ryne

This is so weird, Ill try showing this in store and hopefully they can figure it out.

Thanks for posting!

The deal is legit, did it myself about an hour ago.

Picked up a white ps4 controller and a year's worth of PS+

Got the receipt if anyone wants it.

nashman

Was seriously considering a OneX and a 65"4k for the living room. Got a gaming PC with a G-sync in the bedroom instead. Both about 3k.

Perfect world would be a 65" with gsync/free sync HDR @4k. With whatever system PS5 Xbox1X2(?) or PC.

SickBoy

What's EB's criteria for "modified"? I took apart my PS4 just last week to clean it out but that's all I did.

You'll have to report how it goes. I do believe when you trade it in they check to see whether any of the tamper-proof labels (if visible) have been broken. Can't recall what the deal is with those on the PS4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom