• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
News for people who live in Quebec, apparently due to the law 101 (the one for French packaging and/or content) Nintendo won't be able to sell the Mini-Snes Classic here. As for the rest of Canada, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Source?

I feel like I repeated this dozens of times already, but that's not how the law works. They cannot put those english-packaging-only games on the "show floor", but they can still be sold/bought. Most brick-and-mortar stores won't carry them for this reason, but it has zero impact on online orders... except for Best Buy's ridiculous website.

JSR_Cube

Someone posted on nowinstock that they called EB and Quebec won't get it because two of the games don't have French language support.

Take that for what you will.

So we think Canada orders are going up today?

I'm stuck in meetings most of the day but if I think they're gonna go live can duck out every hour or 2 to check

Was hoping the BB or EB Twitter accounts would say something but it's all quiet so far

F4r0_Atak

Why would this affect the SNES Classic but not the NES Classic?

Also, EBGames won't care, IIRC.

Because apparently, some of the games on the console are not available in french. Also, for your information, there were a bunch of games that EB Games weren't able to get due to the law 101. It won't be the first time I see this... I work at one. :(

You've read that instantly removed message on reddit?

What message?

Source? That would mean avoid best buy I guess.

Would need a source on this. Nintendo products never have that problem.

Today on "Tails from my ass"

Sounds like bullshit. I checked an unboxing video on Youtube, and it has French and Spanish text on the box, like the NES classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMUihDY43MI&t=5s

Source?

I feel like I repeated this dozens of times already, but that's not how the law works. They cannot put those english-packaging-only games on the "show floor", but they can still be sold/bought. Most brick-and-mortar stores won't carry them for this reason, but it has zero impact on online orders... except for Best Buy's ridiculous website.

Ya ... no.

Source? A conference call an EB Games I usually go to received. I never saw a single Nintendo item that had that problem before... it would be a first. Apparently, the problem with the availability of the system may not be due its packaging, but due to the fact that some of the games included can't be played in French. As for the law, it is true that the law 101 mostly affects for "on-the-floor" items, hence why most brick-and-mortar stores don't carry certain games.

F4r0_Atak

Salty Canucks just trying to eliminate some of the competition.

Feel free to not believe me... but don't complain if Best Buy or EB Games won't open pre-orders for people living in Quebec. It's just the info this morning... :/

I know how this employees don't now when pre-orders will be up but they DO know Quebec isn't getting any LOL

EB Games in Quebec got a conference call before their opening this morning regarding this matter. If you don't want to believe it, feel free to do so, but if I were you I would have the link on Amazon.ca open until they make it available.

User on the discord channel just posted a screenshot of their reciept getting a preorder for the SNES classic in at their local EBgames. $112.99

Feel to not believe me... but don't complain if Best Buy or EB Games won't open pre-orders for people living in Quebec. It's just the info this morning... :/

EB Games in Quebec got a conference call before their opening this morning regarding this matter. If you don't want to believe it, feel free to do so, but if I were you I would have the link on Amazon.ca open until they make it available.

Yeah the Quebec thing is true...

So we Quebec residents get to play this game in extra hard mode? because regular hard mode was too easy for us.
Bring it on then.

Grimsen

It's not a law, but an agreement reached between the Office de la langue Francaise and the Entertainment Software association of Canada.

Sources:

http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/triplex/2012/07/04/la-place-du-francais-dans-les-jeux-video-au-quebec/
http://www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/francisation/consommateurs/secteur/jeux_video/details_entente.pdf

The games would have to be offered in French if they are available in French somewhere else in the world.

It's unclear if these guidelines apply to the SNES classic, since those games predate the agreement.

It's not a law, but an agreement reached between the Office de la langue Francaise and the Entertainment Software association of Canada.

Sources:

http://blogues.radio-canada.ca/triplex/2012/07/04/la-place-du-francais-dans-les-jeux-video-au-quebec/
http://www.oqlf.gouv.qc.ca/francisation/consommateurs/secteur/jeux_video/details_entente.pdf

The games would have to be offered in French if they are available in French somewhere else in the world.

It's unclear if these guidelines apply to the SNES classic, since those games predate the agreement.

Yet the NES Classic wasn't affected...

Kirby's Adventure was in french back then and Startropics maybe?

Grimsen

Yet the NES Classic wasn't affected...

Kirby's Adventure was in french back then and Startropics maybe?

Since the NES wasn't affected, I think the SNES classic will be fine.

It'b interesting to know if the ESA considers these consoles and games as ''new'', or if they're exempt from those guidelines.

F4r0_Atak

Sources:

That bold part I knew, it's what I tell my customers sometimes when they ask if certain games are in french. Some are the interface in French, some also have subtitles, while others French voice-overs. For now, it seems that despite the date the agreement was made on, some of those games seems to be affecting the availability of this system in Quebec. Although, I am pretty sure it's not just the agreement that affects the sale of certain games in Quebec. So to some extent, the law does affect them. If certain games don't have French packaging, EBs in Quebec usually don't sell them.

depends on the store. another person went to an eb in barrie ontario, and they were told it wasn't in their system yet.

Apparently... wait just a bit after noon.

CRA5H

Sounds like an EB employee doesn't understand how to follow guidelines. My guess is there's still an embargo and they are playing dumb until the official announcement.

Could be like the Switch preorder, where some stores had in system but quantity unknown. My local EB had a handwritten list at the register to keep track of how many Switch preorders they had left. I assume overselling would be a no-no.

F4r0_Atak

Sounds like an EB employee doesn't understand how to follow guidelines. My guess is there's still an embargo and they are playing dumb until the official announcement.

Trust me when I say that a lot of EBs are understaffed and/or have employees who don't read their emails fully.

Grimsen

That bold part I knew, it's what I tell my customers sometimes when they ask if certain games are in french. Some are the interface in French, some also have subtitles, while others French voice-overs. For now, it seems that despite the date the agreement was made on, some of those games seems to be affecting the availability of this system in Quebec. Although, I am pretty sure it's not just the agreement that affects the sale of certain games in Quebec. So to some extent, the law does affect them. If certain games don't have French packaging, EBs in Quebec usually don't sell them.

Yeah, but that's Federal. That's why you see bilingual packaging everywhere in the country.

Besides, we already know the packaging of the SNES classic is trilingual.

sauce:

http://www.bureaudelaconcurrence.gc.ca/eic/site/cb-bc.nsf/fra/01248.html

EB games servers are shit. I don't expect anything online. When the servers crash online, it also takes out their instore system.

Lucky are those who can get to an eb games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom