• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled fan games

Nairume

Banned
Really? I never heard about that. The game's (out of universe) introduction flat out tells you that it's a fangame and that it shouldn't be taken for canon or perfect, and that fans should buy CT DS to support the series.
It was just forum banter between one of the devs and some forum members, and might not have even been all that serious, but it definitely built up their project at the expense of the product being sold. If they were actually in contact with SquareEnix about it before hand, it stands a good chance that they saw the post. Joke or not, that's not something that needed to be said if they wanted to stay on the company's good side.

The C&D came out not to long after that comment was made, so....

I hate to also say it, because it is totally going to make me look like I'm white knighting SE, but I also can't find any sympathy for Chrono Res being killed off. The guys had a fantastic engine and did some amazing work, but it was really dumb of them to take it to E3 and try and sell themselves to the industry with it. It also doesn't help that CR wasn't going to be an actual remake anyway to where I could never drum up that much excitement over it when I was at the height of my CT obsession.

these fan game making idiots don't seem to understand.

never release a trailer for your game or anything before releasing it, don't even tell the public about it. finish it in secrecy and then release it and the game companies won't be able to do shit.

never release a trailer for your game or anything before releasing it, don't even tell the public about it. finish it in secrecy and then release it and the game companies won't be able to do shit.

Well, they'll C&D you still, but at least the product saw release.

Does Streets of Rage Remake even count? Sega didn't take it down for about a week. All they did was kill the bugfix patch that was coming.

PokéKong

It was a very small almost demo of a game, but Konjak was a very smart fellow in exactly this manner with Legend of Princess. Smart enough to change things enough for it to qualify as parody, but even if he hadn't, the game would still be spread out there for people to play like it is today.

It was just forum banter between one of the devs and some forum members, and might not have even been all that serious, but it definitely built up their project at the expense of the product being sold. If they were actually in contact with SquareEnix about it before hand, it stands a good chance that they saw the post. Joke or not, that's not something that needed to be said if they wanted to stay on the company's good side.

The C&D came out not to long after that comment was made, so....

They weren't in contact with SE beforehand, actually. And the C&D claimed their editing tool was a tool for bypassing the DS game's "copy-protection", so I doubt they were reading forums. The letter's wording made it seem like they didn't even know it was a CT SNES fangame rather than a CT DS fangame.

The reason they did is because they had already successfully released another CT fangame, Chrono Trigger: Prophet's Guile, in 2008.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Sapphire Scar (System Shock sequel C&Ded by EA):

42319.jpg

24311.jpg

24309.jpg

24308.jpg

Doom 3 mod.

LordAlu

I downloaded that Streets of Rage remake the day it got released. Glad I did too, it's excellent. Couldn't believe SEGA sent a C&D out, especially as they could have done it at any time during development, they just waited for release. :(

Roto13

I downloaded that Streets of Rage remake the day it got released. Glad I did too, it's excellent. Couldn't believe SEGA sent a C&D out, especially as they could have done it at any time during development, they just waited for release. :(

It's better to get a C&D after release. Once a game is out there, it's out there.

jman2050

Honestly, it depends on the company and game series in question.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I remember demi (of Neo Demiforce fame, not of bear-lovin Bubble Bobble fan and god-level moderator fame) mentioning work on a GBC homebrew based on a hybrid of the early SaGa games and Chrono Trigger, titled "Final Fantasy Legend 4". Nothing ever really came of it unfortunately, but demi later went on to making a puzzle game called Drymouth for GBC.

I remember demi (of Neo Demiforce fame, not of bear-lovin Bubble Bobble fan and god-level moderator fame) mentioning work on a GBC homebrew based on a hybrid of the early SaGa games and Chrono Trigger, titled "Final Fantasy Legend 4". Nothing ever really came of it unfortunately, but demi later went on to making a puzzle game called Drymouth for GBC.

Whatever happened to Demi? He seems to have disappeared after he released Trism. I was a regular on his forum way back in like 97.

This thread just enrages me because of the wasted potential of a Chrono sequel to bridge the gap between the first two games that we will never get becuase Square doesn't have a hard on for any of their IP's that don't have Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest in them.

Does Streets of Rage Remake even count? Sega didn't take it down for about a week. All they did was kill the bugfix patch that was coming.

The Wii and GP2X ports too.

I remember hearing that the reason Bombergames got hit the C&D was because they were asking for donations after the release OF V5. I'm just glad we got to play the thing. Best unoffical SoR anything to ever be. Those novels being a very close 2nd.

No think Nintendo sent a cease and desist against the game. Unless I missed something and he made that up too (as there are many MANY more fan games being made about mario, zelda, metroid etc. and none of them have been shut down).

I'm pretty sure he made that up.

Hell, Nintendo let that Zelda fan movie stay up for the entirety of December after contacting the creators and establishing that it would have to be taken down. They are LAX about this sort of thing, especially when compared to S-E.

This thread just enrages me because of the wasted potential of a Chrono sequel to bridge the gap between the first two games that we will never get becuase Square doesn't have a hard on for any of their IP's that don't have Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest in them.

Who at SE currently would you have make it?

One of the primary reasons behind the creation of Chrono Trigger was the opportunity for two modern legends in the industry, Horii (Dragon Quest) and Sakaguchi (Final Fantasy), to finally collaborate on a project. Then you add in music by Uematsu and up-and-comer Mitsuda. Then you add in character designs by Akira Toriyama. Then you have directors Kitase and Ito hot off of finishing FFVI. The game was a 'dream team' production.

Chrono Cross was greenlit because of all the begging from fans... and because Sakaguchi pushed for it because, well, Square EA was kicking ass at the time and what did they have to lose? They were pumping out quality games, both sequels and new IPs, at ridiculous pace at this point.
They got Masato Kato (who worked on CT) and basically let him do his thing... and the results were mixed. Still a great game, I thought, but not even close to what was achieved with CT.

Now you only have three major players* still employed at SE that worked on either CT or CC:
-Yuji Horii (always working on a DQ game)
-Yoshinori Kitase (in charge of SE's largest development team, knee-deep in various FF projects, probably figuring out what needs to be done with Motomu Toriyama)
-Hiroyuki Ito (????)

*Tetsuya Nomura and Yusuke Naora also worked on CT... but Nomura's got enough on his plate and Naora is probably still being punished for the whole Code Age stuff.

Sure, they could put a new, young team on a new Chrono project... but would you really want that from S-E and Yoichi Wada these days?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Whatever happened to Demi? He seems to have disappeared after he released Trism. I was a regular on his forum way back in like 97.

Not too sure, he has a sporadically updated blog where he mentions a Trism sequel... I used to communicate regularly with him back in the day, true story the first time I heard of a music genre called "trance" was through him (mid 90's).

Now you only have three major players* still employed at SE that worked on either CT or CC:

There's also Hiromichi Tanaka and Takashi Tokita. But the first one probably will never be entrusted with a Chrono game after the whole FFXIV deal, and the second one seems happy enough doing small-scale handheld and mobile games.

Syril

Whatever happened with the Metroid II remake? Did the guy complete it or something?

It's still in progress. He typically gives updates every few months or so, but it's obvious that it's really just something he's doing in his spare time.

There was a Quake 3 DBZ mod that comes to mind. It was pretty cool, but it never had an official release. I think most of these canceled games might be Mods.

Found it. It was called Bid for Power.

i played it and it was pretty fun. i'm not even a DBZ fan. didn't know it never officially came out.

There's also Hiromichi Tanaka and Takashi Tokita. But the first one probably will never be entrusted with a Chrono game after the whole FFXIV deal, and the second one seems happy enough doing small-scale handheld and mobile games.

Did something happen to Akitoshi Kawazu?

Ocaso

Tenebrae was a Quake mod that basically made it look like Doom 3, and was started before Doom 3 came out. I don't know why it never came to fruition - maybe it just kind of died off from inactivity.

http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/index.php

I'm pretty sure Tenebrae was just an engine, much like Doomsday. It included remade textures for the first episode to illustrate what could be done.

Staying on topic, the loss of SR388 stings hard.

Whatever got leaked is the complete game, outside of some bugs.

'Complete' as in 'playable', but it was definitely not the intended final game. They still wanted to polish every aspect of the game to hell and back.

As a simple example, look at this screenshot. On the left is a map that one of the directors considered 'complete' at one point. On the right is the very same map, but polished by the other director of the game:

(click for full size)

They also had custom sprites and original music that weren't inserted into the game.

gabbo

I'm pretty sure Tenebrae was just an engine, much like Doomsday. It included remade textures for the first episode to illustrate what could be done.

Staying on topic, the loss of SR388 stings hard.

Tenebrae was simply an engine mod for Quake that ceased development at some point. it wasn't shut down or canceled as far as I know.

Starwolf_UK said:
Wait, when did Valve C&D this?
Like putting a dead animal down
If rumour holds true: There never was a full game. The team went to Valve to see if they'd get hired with what they had, didn't, and have been mum on the whole thing since their last trailer release for ...2009 I think.

MrOogieBoogie said:
<System Shock fan sequel pics>
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

CorvoSol

Haha. This is why I would never play a fan RPG sequel. Unless it was something gameplay centered like Diablo or Demon's Souls.

My complaint was mainly with Magus. And also that I wasn't doing ANYTHING. That is to say, Magus was acting pretty uncharacteristic in that opening half an hour. Like, they took his desire to find Schala and flanderized it to nothing short of him literally crying over her in the first half an hour. For no good reason. Something about that didn't quite mesh with my childhood conception of Magus, and I said "Nope. Magus doesn't cry. Done with this game."

The other reason was that the beginning was just boring as heck. You don't do like, anything but sit around for exposition for most of the opening. No real exploration or battle or anything. People are always complaining about how slow some games start, and this is the game that taught me that that complaint is 100% legitimate. Crimson Echoes' opening sucked.

It was also the year Square Enix sabotaged Final Fantasy "Fortress" and told GRIN their screenshot of FFXII didn't "look Final Fantasy". Whoever was in charge of Square Enix NA's Legal Departement was on a roll that year.

The game had multiple writers and the middle parts and very last part of it were much better written IMO.

I hope so, because the beginning was pretty crummy.

Now I want an FF6 sequel on 3DS or Vita.

You will play as Relm and go on an adventure to find Terra who got sucked back into the Esper world and Relm still won't have hooked up with Gau but will be traipsing around with Owain from another timeline instead and along the way they will fight General Urso who was a Magitek General who was better than Celes and Leo but you never heard about him because and he will recite to you from "Darkness and Starlight" completely ruining the tale of Draco and Maria until you come to hate 6's opera scene. Eventually you will find out there's an entire army of clones of him and that his cells were infused into people for Magitek and not Espers and that he is the guy who drove Kefka mad but the Gods will let him get off scot free after a final battle in the Other Esper World. Also your party will be monsters and not anybody from FF6 because Celes will be pregnant and Strago will be dead and Locke will just not give a crap and basically nobody will help you out because you're freaking Relm.

Ultros, Chupon, Mog, Terra, and Gilgamesh will be DLC.

Clevinger

'Complete' as in 'playable', but it was definitely not the intended final game. They still wanted to polish every aspect of the game to hell and back.

As a simple example, look at this screenshot. On the left is a map that one of the directors considered 'complete' at one point. On the right is the very same map, but polished by the other director of the game:

(click for full size)

They also had custom sprites and original music that weren't inserted into the game.

Man, that's depressing. Usually I'm not into fanfic stuff, but Crimson Echoes actually looks good.

Was that any good?

Prophet's Guile was pretty decent. The quality was at least much more consistent than Crimson Echoes. However it's meant to depict what Magus was doing in Zeal after the boss battle in his castle and before the arrival of Crono's party, so it's pretty short. It can be finished in 2 or 3 hours.

Did something happen to Akitoshi Kawazu?

He has been credited for some mobile and social games... Other than that it seems like he's MIA just like Hiroyuki Ito and the rest of the former Square Enix Product Development Division-4.

He has been credited for some mobile and social games... Other than that it seems like he's MIA just like Hiroyuki Ito and the rest of the former Square Enix Product Development Division-4.

Were they taken out back and shot to cut overhead costs or something? That's rather peculiar, as I am a fan of Kawazu's eccentric game design style. (Cue lots of jokes about hitting your party, spontaneously learning complicated techniques, and other Kawazu-isms.)

If anything, for another Chrono game, they'd have to get back Sakaguchi, Horii and Toriyama as the supervising three. Even with Sakaguchi at Mistwalker.

ToxicAdam

In 2006, I was following some guy who was promising a Neuromancer fan project. He was a completely deluded asshole, but I thought that increased the odds of it getting made. It never got made. I doubt he got far.

Who at SE currently would you have make it?

All they need are Kato for direction and story and Mitsuda for music. Both are freelancers I believe. Hire them and give the game a good budget and a reasonable ammount of dev time and I think it could turn out great. I'm sure Nomura and other SE vetern staff could come up with some good gameplay and graphics help out ect.

I know that right now it is not an ideal time to make a Chrono sequel, what with all of the current SE disasters ect. I want it desperately but I know deep down the current SE would fuck it up.

qq more

(click for full size)

Wow, glad they polished it. The one on the left looks pretty empty and boring, meanwhile the updated version looks really well put together!

oneils

I think you might have an easier time making a list of completed fan games. That would also make for one pretty cool OT.

Top Bottom