• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled fan games

RPGCrazied

Chrono_Resurrection_screenshot.jpg

Was only suppose to be a demo, still got the axe. :(

And none of the creators got sued. Mind this was during the time when Square released the DS port.

Shame that Flames of Eternity team are shitting over Crimson Echoes by their choice of songs (FFVIII boss theme being one) and changing plot points for the sake of making it less dark.

As it is now (the latest release is like a month old), FoE > CE in terms of gameplay and overall polish (it helps that it's still being worked on, obviously). I feel some of the plot changes are for the better (I mean Ayla x Frog was kinda wtf-worthy considering she wanted to EAT him at some point XD) while others are unnecessary. What's really sad here is the fact that part of these changes are motivated by the fact that for some reason there's some bad blood between the people involved in CE and now FoE. So as a mere Chrono fan curious to enjoy a game that expands on the universe I feel I'm just being thrown in a middle of some feud I really don't give a shit about because I never was a regular at Chrono Compendium in the first place.

Regarding Magus, my complaint about him doesn't lie so much in what he says save for a few lines. He just talks too much overall. The one character I really think they nailed however, is Dalton.

Ranger X

I downloaded that Streets of Rage remake the day it got released. Glad I did too, it's excellent. Couldn't believe SEGA sent a C&D out, especially as they could have done it at any time during development, they just waited for release. :(

What's even more sad is that Sega couldn't have done a quality game like that one in a million year. They don't even want to use the IP again so it really is just to spit on those fan's face. Disgusting.

I mean Ayla x Frog was kinda wtf-worthy considering she wanted to EAT him at some point XD

The story is written as if Frog was human. He's supposed to be human Glenn in the entire game but the insertion of his sprite set is one the things they had yet to do. But I agree it kind of came out of nowhere, especially since Lucca x Glenn would make more sense considering the ending in Chrono Trigger in which she sees him.

What's even more sad is that Sega couldn't have done a quality game like that one in a million year. They don't even want to use the IP again so it really is just to spit on those fan's face. Disgusting.

Going by the recent Grin thread, they did intend to use the IP again.

Though they should have just bought the fan game and made it official.

The story is written as if Frog was human. He's supposed to be human Glenn in the entire game but the insertion of his sprite set is one the things they had yet to do. But I agree it kind of came out of nowhere, especially since Lucca x Glenn would make more sense considering the ending in Chrono Trigger in which she sees him.

I found that confusing too, because that's supposed to be the case yet at some point in the Emerald Dream chapter there's a direct reference in the dialogue to Frog's shape. I have yet to see if that's sorted out in the latest build, where Glenn's sprite has effectively been inserted.

CorvoSol

As it is now (the latest release is like a month old), FoE > CE in terms of gameplay and overall polish (it helps that it's still being worked on, obviously). I feel some of the plot changes are for the better (I mean Ayla x Frog was kinda wtf-worthy considering she wanted to EAT him at some point XD) while others are unnecessary. What's really sad here is the fact that part of these changes are motivated by the fact that for some reason there's some bad blood between the people involved in CE and now FoE. So as a mere Chrono fan curious to enjoy a game that expands on the universe I feel I'm just being thrown in a middle of some feud I really don't give a shit about because I never was a regular at Chrono Compendium in the first place.

Regarding Magus, my complaint about him doesn't lie so much in what he says save for a few lines. He just talks too much overall. The one character I really think they nailed however, is Dalton.

Oh yeah, I had that problem, too. Magus was much too chatty. I mean, not even Guile was talkative.

Feep

Banned
There was a Quake 3 DBZ mod that comes to mind. It was pretty cool, but it never had an official release. I think most of these canceled games might be Mods.

Found it. It was called Bid for Power.
I played Bid for Power. It was fucking awesome.

Shadow of Life (FF6 sequel). RIP

dwqpO.jpg
If the rest of the game is as good as this art, I would pay money.

So you set out to make a full fledged RPG only to get shut down (of course) because it's already someone's idea, so you quit? How about taking what art you have, modify if needed and making YOUR OWN RPG?

Top Bottom