• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cannot launch P.T. anymore, despite having kept it on my hard drive.

ruddiger7

Banned
I will give mine a go. I backed up all the data on my old ps4 and transferred it to my new metal gear edition one last week. Didnt think to check PT.

It wouldn't have mattered anyway. Auto-renewal renews all the licenses the same way a lapsed renewal does.

Any idea what would happen if you added a 12-month card before the previous one expired? That might actually be the only way for German users to keep this demo if it works and they should probably be made aware if that's the case!

SpOOkyO

Neo Member
I'm a German PSN user as well.
Can't remember that my subscrution ran out, but demo is not working anymore.

:(

Bl@de

Really? Even though the reason for it being tied to PS+ in Germany was given only 7 posts above yours?

There are other methods of age verification insted of saying "subscribe to our paid service". That way it isn't free anyway. Would've been better to charge 0,01€ for it instead of locking it behind a monthly subscription service. Beats the purpose of a "free" game.

bombshell

Any idea what would happen if you added a 12-month card before the previous one expired? That might actually be the only way for German users to keep this demo if it works and they should probably be made aware if that's the case!

I think that renews the licenses the same way as well.

But I'm not sure what actually happens with the expiry date of P.T. Does it extend the expiry date? Or does the system refuse to do it for P.T.? Going by ElTorro, he was on auto-renewal, so I think the system simply refuses to extend the date for P.T.

I'm not German, so I can't test it.

Radec

Proof mine still works fine:

jTC3eed.gif

Took it when I saw your GIF in the OP

Proof that the PS4 needs more stability updates.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Putting PT behind German PS plus probably seemed like a less boneheaded move before anyone knew that Konami would scorch earth it.

Kind of caught between the two evils of Germany's age policy and Konami's "fuck Kojima" policy there.

*activatesautorenew

That won't work, when it auto-renews it will kill and then re-start your licenses, minus PT.

Are there any Germans here with a working PT in a position to add a card to their PS+ right now? Check the expiry date of PT before and after, to see if it adds time to it. I suspect that's the only way you're going to be able to keep this demo and if it doesn't work, it's going to disappear from Germany entirely in under a year.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Can confirm that it still works for me. Coincidentally I made my friend play it earlier while me and my roomies watched. Fun times.

*activatesautorenew

Still, careful though. ElTorro (OP) had auto renew but this happened:

I have a PS Plus subscription with automatic renewal. That shouldn't be the problem.

/edit: Although I remember that the first try to charge my credit card had failed, because for some reason the transaction triggered a security lock at VISA. I had to call my bank and tell them to clear that transaction. Uh, maybe that fucked something up and invalidated the license for a short time.

Did you renew recently?

Isn't the way PS+ works on PSN that you lose the games at the end of whatever membership you've bought, then it "re-purchases" them when you start the next one - even if you auto-renew. That's why everyone's download lists are screwed up when PS+ renews.

Maybe when you lose the PT license, PS+ can't get it back.

Why in the hell they handle licenses like this?

Also, is usual for Sony to revoke re downloads of purchased games when they are delisted from the store? If not, try calling them.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have a PS Plus subscription with automatic renewal. That shouldn't be the problem.

/edit: Although I remember that the first try to charge my credit card had failed, because for some reason the transaction triggered a security lock at VISA. I had to call my bank and tell them to clear that transaction. Uh, maybe that fucked something up and invalidated the license for a short time.
They removed the P.T. service from PS+ some time ago. Thats why you cant launch it anymore.

hey, it's just a demo, konami can take its license away as they please.

and i hope they do because it'll be pretty funny LOL

There are other methods of age verification insted of saying "subscribe to our paid service". That way it isn't free anyway. Would've been better to charge 0,01€ for it instead of locking it behind a monthly subscription service. Beats the purpose of a "free" game.

No it doesn't.

You were paying for the service anyway and were then given the game on top of the standard Instant Game Collection/discounts/other benefits.

Therefore, the game is free.

DryvBy

You should be able to see when the license expires by pressing options on P.T. and going to information.

Everyone will have this problem eventually.

Dat digital age!

DryvBy

It has no expiry date outside Germany.

I dunno about P.T. but stuff I bought even has expiration dates that refresh every year or two. Have you checked the information tab? Or the website?

Edit: Nope, you're correct. I checked this last year and I had expiration dates on most of my digital games.

sphinx

the piano man
Gamer in Germany here.

I just tried to play P.T. on my PS4 and it works as intended, I do use a US account at all times though.

Sorry OP. Lesson learned, fuck the German PSN

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I dunno about P.T. but stuff I bought even has expiration dates that refresh every year or two. Have you checked the information tab? Or the website?
If that behavior wasn't a bug but intended behavior then the PS4 system for actual purchased things would not be an offline capable console.

Everything I purchased or was free*, including P.T., doesn't have an expiration date.

* = not PS+ IGC

FyreWulff

Gamer in Germany here.

I just tried to play P.T. on my PS4 and it works as intended, I do use a US account at all times though.

Sorry OP. Lesson learned, fuck the German PSN

Press options on the PT tile, then Information. You'll see there if it's tied to Plus.

If you have a US account it won't be.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
If that behavior wasn't a bug but intended behavior then the PS4 system for actual purchased things would not be an offline capable console.

Everything I purchased or was free*, including P.T., doesn't have an expiration date.

* = not PS+ IGC

PT requiered PlayStation Plus in Germany. Different Situation.

DrKelpo

Banned
Might be better to buy it manually in advance for already stated reasons.

That won't work, when it auto-renews it will kill and then re-start your licenses,

Apparently, that does not help. I have auto-renewal activated. Renewing is apparently treated as an instant unsubscribe-and-then-subscribe action.

Not enough, OP had auto-renew on.

Still, careful though. ElTorro (OP) had auto renew but this happened:

you're right... didn't read carefully enough.

thanks.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But I was responding to the claim that this is true for everyone, no matter the game and no matter the region.

I am pretty sure the copy I bought in the US store doesnt have a expiration date.
Unless it was added afterwards. Will check it out ASAP I am at home.

Melchiah

Just checked, and mine still works. I'm relieved, as I never managed to finish it. I guess I'll have to do it ASAP, just in case.

Dremark

Banned
Edit: GUYS, quit it with the sky is falling FUD and nonsense. YES, this is a real problem for German PSN users but there's no need to bust out conspiracy theories about trojans in MGS5 and the like.

MGS5 includes FOXDIE and Nanomachines designed by the la li lu le lo to brick your PT.

Top Bottom