• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cannot launch P.T. anymore, despite having kept it on my hard drive.

Farewell

Iam from germany and same problem here, it is locked even if i downloaded it before they took it out of the store.
I think because my ps+ had a expire date, even if i bought a new subscription before it expired. Ive read a few articles online from may with the same problems mentioned, so it seems like this is old news.

This seems to be an issue with the German version..regardless..

US here.
My PS+ lapsed on Sept. 1st and I renewed it on Sept. 7th

Launched P.T. just fine.

IISANDERII

GOOD

DlR9JeD.gif

ZalXII

German here with a german account, works as intended. I renewed before my PS+ subscription ran out per 12month code. Looking on the information screen remaining time is 111 days running out on january 3rd 2016, i highly suspect as long as i do not let my subscription run out and renew before this date P.T. stays playable. We'll see after Black Friday with hopefully cheap 12 month subscriptions.

Mikey Jr.

I have no intention of ever playing pt, but it feels good knowing I still have it.

Maybe one day I'll play it...but not bloody likely.

Farewell

German here with a german account, works as intended. I renewed before my PS+ subscription ran out per 12month code. Looking on the information screen remaining time is 111 days running out on january 3rd 2016, i highly suspect as long as i do not let my subscription run out and renew before this date P.T. stays playable. We'll see after Black Friday with hopefully cheap 12 month subscriptions.

Thought the same thing, ive renew my ps+ subscription before it ran out, still can't play it though.

GeNoMe

*meanwhile at Sony HQ*
Aaah yes...our ploy to have the Germans renew their PS+ subscriptions for all eternity has finally come in effect!

Muahahahaha

i-Jest

That won't work, when it auto-renews it will kill and then re-start your licenses, minus PT.

Are there any Germans here with a working PT in a position to add a card to their PS+ right now? Check the expiry date of PT before and after, to see if it adds time to it. I suspect that's the only way you're going to be able to keep this demo and if it doesn't work, it's going to disappear from Germany entirely in under a year.

I'd like to cross my fingers for good things to come but Konami don't play around. Maybe one day we'll see a cracked version of the demo on PC.

The problem is that Konami not only delisted the game from the store, they removed the download links and (i guess) the files in the server too.

Usually when games (and DLC) get delisted from the store, only the possibility of purchase is removed, but everyone that has a valid license can download the content later.

A glimpse of Sony's all digital future. Makes me wonder how publishers and devs are gonna preserve completely patched games, if at all. If they ever want to re-release an old game would they do it with flaws and all?

Yeah mine seems fine at the moment

https://youtu.be/BiIjWUE10ow

Is that a new Vita interface?

RiverBed

Banned
It saddens me that I will never get to try P.T.
In the concept of content being taken down, I agree. But in the specific case of PT, I think people build it up bigger than what it is. You walk in an L shaped corridor a few times and look at specific points while looping.
I think why people make a fuss about it is due to the straight up lie that it is a prologue to Silent Hill. I think that is why Konami took it down; they don't want the potential legal headaches from here and there.

legacyzero

Banned
In the concept of content being taken down, I agree. But in the specific case of PT, I think people build it up bigger than what it is. You walk in an L shaped corridor a few times and look at specific points while looping.
I think why people make a fuss about it is due to the straight up lie that it is a prologue to Silent Hill. I think that is why Konami took it down; they don't want the potential legal headaches from here and there.

Come on now. It's way more than that and you know it. Did you even play it?

It's a small slice, sure. But what it does with oppressive atmosphere, morbid curiosity, obsure visuals, etc, is the best in a very long time.

The reason Konami took it down is Silent Hills is canceled. Simple. Why have a demo advertising a game that wont exist?

epmode

The reason Konami took it down is Silent Hills is canceled. Simple. Why have a demo advertising a game that wont exist?

PT is a special case. Even if Silent Hills was actually released, I seriously doubt the PT scenario would be included. It's a standalone, deliberately obscure teaser and it's interesting in its own right.

I can understand Konami delisting it from PSN but removing it from player libraries was bullshit of the highest order.

It was never stated to be a prologue to Silent Hill. There was no lying at all, its title even means that it is a "playable teaser" for Silent Hills. And Kojima was very uprfront that he didn't know how similar Silent Hills would be to PT, it was more just a proof of concept and awesome way to announce the game.

And it's scary as hell and a great concept of toying with the concept of a contained familiar space and still managing to make something as horrifying as it is despite the player knowing full well what the phsyical space is.

I think it was pretty great in its own right.

I had a friend, who isn't a PS4 owner or even a particularly big gamer, visit me on Friday night.

He asked if I had bought "that horror game" that I showed him last time he visited yet.

When I broke the news to him that it had be canned, we was actually pissed about it.

legacyzero

Banned
PT is a special case. Even if Silent Hills was actually released, I seriously doubt the PT scenario would be included. It's a standalone, deliberately obscure teaser and it's interesting in its own right.

I can understand Konami delisting it from PSN but removing it from player libraries was bullshit of the highest order.

Sure, it was a special case, and wouldn't be in the game. What was great about it was that it was a representation of the things that I listed hopefully being the staples of Silent Hills.

And yeah, removing it from libraries is full-on BULLSHIT.

RiverBed

Banned
I think it was pretty great in its own right.

It was a fun 45 minutes or so (at times frustrating due to bad game design: just look at all the superstition videos about how to get the third cry). I'm saying people are making it bigger than it is, not that it wasn't fun. To give you an example of what I mean: cut out anything that happens after you walk out the door a final time, put a disclaimer on the demo calling it just that ( a tech demo, for instance). I think you'll find there would have been no backlash, and it not being taken down.

it is a "playable teaser" for Silent Hills
Whatever you call it, it was linked to the Silent Hill universe with a big TV actor and abig director linked to the project waaaay before anything was more than just a Kojima/Konami muse (think what SE has done a decade ago with FF and KH). The project wasn't cancelled; it never took off. BIG difference. And there are no indication that the so called 'project' (yeah, right) was anything more than a pitch. I strongly think if Konami didn't fear legal action (from the people having their names attached to the pitch and others behinds the scenes more so than the gamers, then this demo wouldn't have had to come down.

This thread provoked me to finish this game yesterday (I used a walkthrough to see the final cutscene)... is it more impressive than MGSV:pP graphics-wise or is it just me?

Also, I wonder how much my console would be worth (PS4 + 2TB HDD + PT demo + lots of other games)... I may sell it once AMD releases a 14-16nm APU.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Right, but the (real time?) final cutscene is even more impressive than the hallway.
It might have been pre-rendered with the fox engine. It was probably also targeting next gen consoles visually while MGSV is crossgen.

Whatever you call it, it was linked to the Silent Hill universe with a big TV actor and abig director linked to the project waaaay before anything was more than just a Kojima/Konami muse (think what SE has done a decade ago with FF and KH). The project wasn't cancelled; it never took off. BIG difference. And there are no indication that the so called 'project' (yeah, right) was anything more than a pitch. I strongly think if Konami didn't fear legal action (from the people having their names attached to the pitch and others behinds the scenes more so than the gamers, then this demo wouldn't have had to come down.

It wasnt just a pitch, though. The game was officially announced to the public. Not only through PT but a seperate teaser trailer of its own and it even got stage time at E3 where Kojima was interviewed about it. A pitch is something that would never leave the board room at Konami. They even gave a press release saying Silent Hills was canceled.

Betty

Banned
It was a fun 45 minutes or so (at times frustrating due to bad game design: just look at all the superstition videos about how to get the third cry). I'm saying people are making it bigger than it is, not that it wasn't fun.

It wasn't bad game design, this is something I keep hearing over and over and it's irritating.

They intentionally made the steps to complete it extremely obtuse because they wanted people to talk about it and work it out together, and because they wanted the truth that it was related to Silent Hill to be kept hidden for at least a little while.

Considering all the other amazing little touches in the game and the fact it's set in mostly the same corridor over and over, it's a gem.

goonergaz

OP, from a brief read can I assume the general thought is that the reason it won't launch is because your account (german) no longer has PS+. It also looks like US/UK folk without PS+ have no issues...right?

Well, I may be able to help! When the news hit I set up a dedicated PT account and 'bought' the demo (US or UK I don't recall), I did this as a kind of 'last resort' issue in case something like this happened to me.

If you think this account might help you, then PM me and I'll let you know the account details...worth a try I guess?

Piccoro

OP, from a brief read can I assume the general thought is that the reason it won't launch is because your account (german) no longer has PS+. It also looks like US/UK folk without PS+ have no issues...right?

Well, I may be able to help! When the news hit I set up a dedicated PT account and 'bought' the demo (US or UK I don't recall), I did this as a kind of 'last resort' issue in case something like this happened to me.

If you think this account might help you, then PM me and I'll let you know the account details...worth a try I guess?

^
This won't work. Even if P.T. is in your download list, you must have it installed in the console in order to play it.
If you try to download it, it gives out an error.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
^
This won't work. Even if P.T. is in your download list, you must have it installed in the console in order to play it.

Yeah I "bought" the demo on the web store before I had a PS4. I was informed though the interface that I had the license and could download it at any time at my leisure.

You want to know what the first notification I got from my PS4 was when I bought it?

"P.T. Cannot Download"

Konami's new CEO went full scorched-earth on this project, so much so it breaks unexpected infrastructure things, like we're seeing in this thread.

goonergaz

^

I thought OP already had it downloaded? I was suggesting using an account that should be able to access the game...I am aware it's removed from the store.

Piccoro

I thought OP already had it downloaded? I was suggesting using an account that should be able to access the game...I am aware it's removed from the store.

Like Imbarkus said, if you try to download now, the only thing you'll see is "P.T. Cannot Download".
And apparently even the people who already downloaded the game can't play it, judging by OP's case...

If a mod sees this, a thread title change might be appropriate, since it's a Germany-only issue and we may see more casualties if word doesn't get out.

Something like: "Germans who let their PS+ lapse for even one second will lose access to P.T. forever."

goonergaz

Like Imbarkus said, if you try to download now, the only thing you'll see is "P.T. Cannot Download".
And apparently even the people who already downloaded the game can't play it, judging by OP's case...

Maybe my English is bad, it seems only German accounts are affected;

1) OP has PT on HDD - so he doesn't need to download
2) OP cannot access PT due to being a German account
3) I am offering a US/UK account which has the right to play PT
4) Add account onto OPs PS4 and try game
5) It might work, it might not - probably not, but maybe worth a try - what's to lose?

Top Bottom