• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cant believe people think Hogwarts Legacy is GOTY material

samoilaaa

First of all i dont consider GOTY title as a standard for absolute masterpieces , the only year in which the game that won GOTY was also my personal GOTY was 2015 with witcher 3

But i see people being upset that Hogwarts Legacy isnt considered for GOTY , like seriously ? , the game is super mediocre , if it wasnt based on harry potter it would be called trash , it has nothing special , mediocre story , lack of progression , no choice and consequence , the loot is useless , level design is trash except for the castle , open world is boring and lifeless with nothing to do , lack of character development

The only good things about it are the graphics and the castle , the castle is amazing to explore but thats it , has the standard dropped so low ?

DryvBy

If this was a year or two ago? It would fit the bill easily but 2023? Bad year to put your great games out.

I hate Harry Potter except for 3 of the movies and I enjoyed this for the most part.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i agree.

People who believe Hogwart should be GOTY, dont play alot of games.

I said many times in this forum, game is super repetitive (side quest, loots, speels....), im not sure how these people can even complete the game.

If Hogwart considered as GOTY material, i guess any ubisoft games should be consider GOTD

Last edited:

SCB3

For some people its fine, My wife says its hers and all she plays pretty much is CoD and Sims, so for her it was perfect as shes a HP fan

For me, I don't even think it cracks my top 15 and I liked the game a lot, its just been a fucking incredible year for good games

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Have you played the older Harry Potter games? This game is like playing in your own movie. Of course it’s a huge hit. Some people aren’t looking at the finer details. Let them roam around Hogwarts and do all sorts of stuff. Games like Roblox and Minecraft aren’t exactly exciting for the person who seeks story, huge adventures, and so forth. People love breaking rocks and building homes with pixelated bricks. Developers raise the bar, but who said everyone wanted it raised?

First of all i dont consider GOTY title as a standard for absolute masterpieces , the only year in which the game that won GOTY was also my personal GOTY was 2015 with witcher 3

But i see people being upset that Hogwarts Legacy isnt considered for GOTY , like seriously ? , the game is super mediocre , if it wasnt based on harry potter it would be called trash , it has nothing special , mediocre story , lack of progression , no choice and consequence , the loot is useless , level design is trash except for the castle , open world is boring and lifeless with nothing to do , lack of character development

The only good things about it are the graphics and the castle , the castle is amazing to explore but thats it , has the standard dropped so low ?
They don't. They just wanted it nominated because it would have pissed off "snowflakes"/LGBTQ community

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I didn't play all these so my opinion isn't super serious, but both Hogwarts and Spider Man 2 look like the kind of standard action open world game we've gotten for a while now annually. I'd probably give the edge to Hogwarts because of the castle, but the combat looks weak. I don't know if the story is good. The story in Spider Man 2 seemed pretty rough from what I saw. And I personally would never put a RE4 remake anywhere near the top 10 or even top 15 when it's pretty immediately obvious that its worse than the original, and it's a remake. I also was repulsed by FFXVI just in the demo, but people love it.

I haven't tried Baldur's Gate yet. I tried Cyberpunk in 2020 and had to sell it. Haven't tried it after the patch.

I'm trying to go through Mario Wonder, but honestly I play 1 level and feel like turning it off. It's obviously very polished, but I get a bit bored with it so far.

So yeah, I just plan on never agreeing with anyone on these things, which is fine with me. I think almost everyone has terrible taste.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I can't believe you don't see that. It's a perfectly executed, very comfort food game with fantastic combat and good side quests. The story is fine too. Not the best part of the game.
It is my goty or ff16. not sure yet

But it's not about it actually having a chance to WIN TGA. the chances would be low.
It's about being nominated in some categories at the very least. It deserves nomination. For plenty of stuff!

We all know i isn't nominated because of woke agendas and reeeee

Last edited:

Fbh

This was a particularly strong year so I don't have an issue with it not being up for GOTY. Even if you just go by review scores it's not among the top games this year so it makes sense.

That said this is the same event that considers stuff like Stray to be GOTY material so it's not like there's any particularly high standards.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
oh come on , so if i say gollum is game of the year then its a valid opinion ?
There are opinions and then there is your stupid opinion.
If You think this is a valid comparison then we gotta close this stupid thread.
You should've used TGA thread for this anyway and not attention whoring because you don't know how to have fun with excellent game like Hogwarts Legacy

RagnarokIV

Ooh you're hard

bbc GIF

but isnt like the 1st game that has an actual transgender npc ? why would it make the lbgtqabcdef mad ?
Because JK Rowling has spent millions of dollars speaking out and trying to pass anti-trans legislation. She does make money off of HL. I'm not a fan of the boycott at all, but the game is pretty average. Gamers just want to politicize it on both sides

Opinions and all OP.

I am having a similar moment with RDR2. I have only finished one mission in the snow.

Already dreading 2nd mission, I can already picture gameplay loop in my head, how it's gonna pan out.

It better have survival/ sim elements that everyone talks and hates, cause otherwise I am dropping this game hard.

samoilaaa

Because JK Rowling has spent millions of dollars speaking out and trying to pass anti-trans legislation. She does make money off of HL. I'm not a fan of the boycott at all, but the game is pretty average. Gamers just want to politicize it on both sides
wow good for her , its great to see people in high places that dont support mental illness , i just saw that many female sports have banned trans athletes , it looks like the world hasnt completely lost its mind , there is still hope

I’m not even a fan of Harry Potter, yet I loved the game. Imagine that….

Get over yourself and realize that not everyone sees things the same way. For me it is the best game of 2023 so far. For you it’s not. It’s almost like people see things differently from one another. What a concept, eh?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Opinions and all OP.

I am having a similar moment with RDR2. I have only finished one mission in the snow.

Already dreading 2nd mission, I can already picture gameplay loop in my head, how it's gonna pan out.

It better have survival/ sim elements that everyone talks and hates, cause otherwise I am dropping this game hard.
I'm glad I skipped that Black Friday deal lol. Still waiting.

If this was a year or two ago? It would fit the bill easily but 2023? Bad year to put your great games out.

I hate Harry Potter except for 3 of the movies and I enjoyed this for the most part.
I agree with you, Hogwarts was enjoyable because it gives the vibe of the original 2 movies directed by Chris Columbus.

While some parts are especially fun to watch, the rest get continually depressing lol.

This game is very shallow though so definitely not GOTY material.

Arun1910

Agree, and I loved the game.

However it doesn't do much a Harry Potter game didn't do in the past minus the open world and there isn't any particularly crazy innovation that was present either.

It's a basic yet fun game for people who like the Universe as it really nailed the lore, music, feel of the HP world.

MMaRsu

Banned
That happened to me on the first RDR. It just felt so horrible to control, and then I did a few missions and I was out.

Maybe check the control options, set it to STANDARD FPS (control scheme) and tune the deadzones?

Guess people are too stupid to check the options.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Same way some people pretend Hogwarts doesn’t exist, those on the other end of the spectrum act like the game is better than it really is.

Huh? Not the same at all. The game factually existing is not the same as some thinking the game is better than others think it is.

Well in it defensive. More ppl had play it compare to any other game. So it have more ppl talking bout it than any other. Also, believe they just surprise that it in no category. If it was a different name or whatever. Pretty sure it would been up there. Cause even then the media would have been talking about it all year long. Could maybe even won it then cause of that

Top Bottom