• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cant believe people think Hogwarts Legacy is GOTY material

Tsaki

People are more upset that it wasn't really nominated in anything, not for GOTY specifically. And they are right. I mean check out the MC scores of Hogwarts and MK1. There is a 3/10 from IGN and 4/10 from NintendoLife in there for MK1 that does not show as well

tmoVJTY.jpg
YfiB9Dx.jpg

Last edited:

TheStam

Been trying to get into this game, but think I'm gonna shelf it for a while since I'm not feeling it. Maybe I'm just not in the mood for this kind of vibe plus it feels a bit Ubi. I'll give it another go at Christmas perhaps.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Gaf should have Game Battles in Poll like boxofficemojo movie battles.

Which is a better game ?
Hogwarts Legacy or StarField. Both flawed yet both are loved.
Of course Hogwarts. It's fully featured, finished game which does precisely what it was meant to do.

First of all i dont consider GOTY title as a standard for absolute masterpieces , the only year in which the game that won GOTY was also my personal GOTY was 2015 with witcher 3

But i see people being upset that Hogwarts Legacy isnt considered for GOTY , like seriously ? , the game is super mediocre , if it wasnt based on harry potter it would be called trash , it has nothing special , mediocre story , lack of progression , no choice and consequence , the loot is useless , level design is trash except for the castle , open world is boring and lifeless with nothing to do , lack of character development

The only good things about it are the graphics and the castle , the castle is amazing to explore but thats it , has the standard dropped so low ?
It is one of my GOTY's so fuck you for not understanding different opinions.

It had 0 mtx, no GaaS shit and it was a dedicated SP game. It's not for you, fine. But dont go around talking about a "standard" when you miss the point by a mile.
It's like you are screaming STOP HAVING FUN AND AN OPINION!!!!!

It doesnt work that way. Logoff, delete your cookies and live in your own bubble. OR accept the fact that not everyone is like you (thank fucking god Im not THAT shortsighted).

Now fuck off.

I really enjoyed my time with Hogwarts Legacy. It would be a contender for sure. BG3 is really good as well. Not my favority style of RPG but it's still an incredible game. I would probably say Alan Wake 2 for me. Story was insane and rarley do i ever get the itch for a new game plus but i can't wait to return to that one. All subjective though. We all know that TOTK will win the stupid award so it really doesn't matter.

StereoVsn

First of all i dont consider GOTY title as a standard for absolute masterpieces , the only year in which the game that won GOTY was also my personal GOTY was 2015 with witcher 3

But i see people being upset that Hogwarts Legacy isnt considered for GOTY , like seriously ? , the game is super mediocre , if it wasnt based on harry potter it would be called trash , it has nothing special , mediocre story , lack of progression , no choice and consequence , the loot is useless , level design is trash except for the castle , open world is boring and lifeless with nothing to do , lack of character development

The only good things about it are the graphics and the castle , the castle is amazing to explore but thats it , has the standard dropped so low ?
It could have been nominated in say Art or Sound design or another visual category. I agree that the game doesn’t meet overall GOTY standards but nomination in a category or two should have happened.

Moneal

It could have been nominated in say Art or Sound design or another visual category. I agree that the game doesn’t meet overall GOTY standards but nomination in a category or two should have happened.
I mean it did get nominated for a Grammy. So yea maybe a sound design nomination would be appropriate.

It’s just another human’s opinion and that person takes a shit just like you do.

Harry Potter is popular my man, there’s over 8 billion people on this planet and the majority wants to be apart of something that large groups of people are into known as a herd.

It’s comforting to a large amount of the population on this planet to be apart of something that most of the population is into regardless of the quality…..
It’s called POP culture

Just put sales and award threads on ignore, it leaves more room on the front page for other news threads about gaming..

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
If someone comes out and says Barbie is GOTY over Oppenheimer, you would have people calling that idiot an idiot.

Oh don't get me wrong, Barbie is not my MoTY, Hogwarts is not my GoTY but those 2 specific examples are media with mass appeal so I'm not surprised at all if they're GoTY/MoTY for other people.

mrmustard

Banned
I don't think in a year with Zelda and BG3 any people thought Hogwarts Legacy (or Starfield) has any chance of winning (most) GOTY. Some people just think the other nominations are no better than their choice..

Besides that i tell you what i always tell in those threads: The Game Awards are way overrated. There were around 600 GOTY awards in 2022 and i'm pretty damn sure Hogwarts Legacy, Starfield, Spiderman, Streetfighter 6, Diablo and many more will win some of them this year.

Last edited:
Hogwarts Legacy needed to be made so they could see what the audience is for a giant high quality AAA single-player Harry Potter game. It has good points and low points. Hogwarts castle is extremely well-made. Open world needs work, as do side quests and filing in the world with more interesting things to see and do.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Oh don't get me wrong, Barbie is not my MoTY, Hogwarts is not my GoTY but those 2 specific examples are media with mass appeal so I'm not surprised at all if they're GoTY/MoTY for other people.

Hogwarts isn't my GOTY either, but I had a blast playing the game. Same for Starfield. Same for Spider-man. I can see plenty of reasons for those games to be part of the GOTY conversation. Others will disagree and that's fine. The problem is when we start saying an opinion is no longer "valid" because it doesn't meet some mythical "standard" as if any of the GOTY conversation is based on objective facts. It just isn't.

This year I think we have about 12-13 GOTY nominee level games, and no, none of them are Starfield.

The 6 nominees, plus FFXVI, SF6, AC6, Hogwarts, sea of stars, dead space, etc

Last edited:

soulbait

What this game did best, and a lot better than previous license based games, is it allow you to really experience the world the license came from. It did a great job of letting your imagination run wild as if if you were really in the Wizarding World. The game excelled at this, IMO. If you had an reference to the original material before you played, you felt right at home and it felt "right" in many ways.

However, even if you were not a massive fan of Harry Potter, I think the world building of this game was so good, that it could make people more interested in it. It was basically a digital theme park of the Wizarding World. It was great.

I believe this should be taken into consideration for GOTY. It allows you to escape into a wonderful fun world and places those who are fans into a world allowing them to play out what they have had in their heads.

What does hurt the game is some of its flaws and some of the open world filler you get. Also, knowing that the story will not impact the world overall, due to knowing what happens years later, does not help it.

What I do think they did great was the wand combat. I thought it was not going to be fun at all. And while it was not perfect, it was executed way better than I thought.

What is really going against the game is this year was stacked with great games. The politics around the game does not help, and made it easier to nominate other games because this year had so many good games. If it was another year, with fewer games, then I would say politics played too much of a role in not nominating the game. I also think the timing of when the game came out plays into this as well. It was released early in the year, where other games have had time to steal the mind share. Game comes out in 2022, would have been nominated IMO. However, 2023 is just a stacked amount of games.

samoilaaa

It is one of my GOTY's so fuck you for not understanding different opinions.

It had 0 mtx, no GaaS shit and it was a dedicated SP game. It's not for you, fine. But dont go around talking about a "standard" when you miss the point by a mile.
It's like you are screaming STOP HAVING FUN AND AN OPINION!!!!!

It doesnt work that way. Logoff, delete your cookies and live in your own bubble. OR accept the fact that not everyone is like you (thank fucking god Im not THAT shortsighted).

Now fuck off.
hogwarts legacy sucks so grab by nuts and lick them until ur tongue goes sour

FlyyGOD

Yet Spiderman 2 is game of the year material?

MiguelItUp

I mean, some people, sure. I think the majority were just baffled (but not really) about it not being nominated for anything. Because even if it's not your cup of tea, it's definitely a game that was made by a passionate team and studio as it shows in so many ways. It's also the most immersive Harry Potter universe game that exists, so I'm sure a lot of people love it for that reason alone.

ClosBSAS

Overrated as fuck game. Quest line is a borefest with nothing special happening.

Had to use a trainee to beat it. One shotring everything is way better

GymWolf

Like i said in another topic, an incredible love letter to harry potter in videogame form, but just a decent open world game with a lot of noticeable flaws.

A good 7\10 in a scale where scores for good game don't start at 8,5.

People are just happy to have a good harry potter game and it's even more impressive because it was the studio first big game.

Maybe if it was a very dry year i could understand a sympathy nomination, but in 2023? It's impossible, not impossiblé.

Last edited:
Overrated as fuck game. Quest line is a borefest with nothing special happening.

Had to use a trainee to beat it. One shotring everything is way better
It's a Harry Potter lover's dream game. That's who it's made for. For that group of people, it is everything they've ever wanted and it was reasonably well-made, regardless of the open-world aspects being very lackluster.

Last edited:
I mean, some people, sure. I think the majority were just baffled (but not really) about it not being nominated for anything. Because even if it's not your cup of tea, it's definitely a game that was made by a passionate team and studio as it shows in so many ways. It's also the most immersive Harry Potter universe game that exists, so I'm sure a lot of people love it for that reason alone.
100% spot on

I just started playing Hogwarts. Got it for $30. I'm liking it so far and its the first Harry Potter thing I've ever experienced.
See,I’ve never played a Harry Potter game….ever. I’ve maybe watched the 1st movie and possibly bits and pieces of different films but just not sure which ones they were.
I just never had a care about the lore and story of what was going on.

Im almost positive my age had a lot to do with it, I was 23 when the 1st film came out and always thought it was more for the women and children lol
Besides I was preoccupied with Fellowship coming out a month after the 1st Harry movie.

But this game has been intriguing me for a better part the year and I might actually sit down with it..

See,I’ve never played a Harry Potter game….ever. I’ve maybe watched the 1st movie and possibly bits and pieces of different films but just not sure which ones they were.
I just never had a care about the lore and story of what was going on.

Im almost positive my age had a lot to do with it, I was 23 when the 1st film came out and always thought it was more for the women and children lol
Besides I was preoccupied with Fellowship coming out a month after the 1st Harry movie.

But this game has been intriguing me for a better part the year and I might actually sit down with it..
Yea, similar situation. I was too old for the movies from the start. I played the time trial on PS+ Premium before deciding to get it at $30.
So you can do that or use someone else's time trial connecting to their PS5 if you don't have/want premium. I just happened to stack premium with the ps now card thing during the conversion.

SHA

I agree. The story and characters are as if written by chatgpt or bethesda. Lifeless, boring...though to be fair, it's the norm in video games and every other media now, not the exception.
It feels like someone is bleeding cause of mentioning the "lifeless Bethesda npc characters", it's like you closing the door for new comers, there's still tons who what to play these games and feel offended by these comments.

Yea, similar situation. I was too old for the movies from the start. I played the time trial on PS+ Premium before deciding to get it at $30.
So you can do that or use someone else's time trial connecting to their PS5 if you don't have/want premium. I just happened to stack premium with the ps now card thing during the conversion.
Yeah, I’m gonna have to check it out then.

Top Bottom