• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cant believe people think Hogwarts Legacy is GOTY material

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
OK so we disagree on games. Doesn't mean that Hogwarts didn't deserve to get 1 single nomination in ANY category... Not that I really give any credence whatsoever to the games awards (or any awards in media for that matter) but the recognition for the devs would've been nice.

We all know exactly why no one voted for it anyway.
Agree, it seems like an effort that should have at least showed up in a couple of categories even if it's not something I'd pick overall for the year. And it's probably blacklisted indeed for daring to be associated with a person who vaguely borders on wrongthink.

MacReady13

Agree, it seems like an effort that should have at least showed up in a couple of categories even if it's not something I'd pick overall for the year. And it's probably blacklisted indeed for daring to be associated with a person who vaguely borders on wrongthink.
I wonder if any of those grubs who gave out nominations actually played it, considering many of those sensitive fucks didn't review it...

I watched my Gf play it she loved it ! again , it comes down to this
jeff bridges opinion GIF

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
OK so we disagree on games. Doesn't mean that Hogwarts didn't deserve to get 1 single nomination in ANY category... Not that I really give any credence whatsoever to the games awards (or any awards in media for that matter) but the recognition for the devs would've been nice.

We all know exactly why no one voted for it anyway.
Im talking about the GOTY category only.

But yes i agree theres another reason why the game is not nominated in any of the categories. They dont want to upset a certain group of people lol.

Ozzie666

Gaming should not be used as a political platform. So called journalists are supposed to be professional and unbias.
But here we are. The top selling game of the year, should have problably got at least 1 nomination, you would think. But it's entirely possibly not to as well.

But you can't help but think people went out of their way to ignore the game due to outside reasons. It certaintly could look that way, from a certain point of view.

Mortisfacio

I wasn't blown away by Hogwarts. Enjoyed it for what is was and definitely don't regret my time or money spent. I think it was better than TotK and SM2, but shouldn't be GOTY still. That should go fully to BG3.

MMaRsu

Banned
Wouldn’t play Hogwarts if it were free I feel like games like assassins creed, mass effect, horizon etc. out muscle hogwarts

Mass Effect is nothing like any of the other games you listed.

Aside from that, all three are open world collectathons in a game where your choices matter very little.

Nothing in Horizon or Assassins Creed puts it over Hogwarts quality wise.

I'm glad Hogwarts exists for those who love Harry Potter.

It's not really my thing, and I've overlooked it several times - first, for Resident Evil 4 Remake (my personal GoTY by a mile), but also the Dead Space Remake, Starfield, and more recently Spiderman 2 (which I have only just started).

Not having as much disposable income for games this year has meant being slightly more discerning than usual and so I held off on Hogwarts because I'm not a big Harry Potter fan and there were other games that interested me more

I would have liked to have played it, but it wasn't a priority for me, at least not compared to the other stuff that was available.

Put simply, choice and variety is always good.

That said, if Hogwarts ever comes to Game Pass or ps plus I will likely play it.

Edit: the day after leaving this message Hogwarts was reduced quite substantially on Steam, so I may yet jump in.

Of course, my next concern is will it run on my decidedly lower mid tier rig?

Last edited:

mnkl13

i gotta say that it felt like a very big side quest, and not a very interesting one. i supported the game, but was hard to get through it.

Portugeezer

I didn't think it was amazing or anything, but it obviously deserved some nominations for other categories, not for overall GOTY, but something. Clearly it got snubbed by critics for obvious reasons, very petty.

But luckily for them it was not snubbed by gamers and so far is the best selling game of 2023.

Last edited:
So yeah, I just plan on never agreeing with anyone on these things, which is fine with me. I think almost everyone has terrible taste.

Lol, I think if these games weren’t as popular / highly rated you’d probably love a lot of them

Which makes your love of Starfield all the more strange, since it’s been played by quite a few people and generally well received by critics despite being divisive

AmuroChan

But you can't help but think people went out of their way to ignore the game due to outside reasons. It certaintly could look that way, from a certain point of view.

It doesn't just look that way. It's obvious. Just look at who the voting jury consists of for the TGAs.

IGN
Kinda Funny
Gamespot
Easy Allies
Polygon
NPR
Pride.com
Variety
Entertainment Weekly

Your expectations must be sky high op. You're smoking that good shit if you think hogwarts is trash
Best selling game of the year. Fucked up its not on goty lists
I just want to come in here and say that ‘Best selling game of the year’ means nothing. ‘How can that be?’ you might ask? Because Call of Duty, EA FC(Fifa) and NBA 2k would be on the GoTY list every year.

As a matter of fact, a contest of best sellers would be the easiest way to piss everyone off, every year.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Lol, I think if these games weren’t as popular / highly rated you’d probably love a lot of them

Which makes your love of Starfield all the more strange, since it’s been played by quite a few people and generally well received by critics despite being divisive
I'll say this as nicely as I can while just being direct. You can believe me when I state my own opinion on games or we can just not talk about it. I'm not wasting any more time convincing anyone I'm not a biased liar. Literally just talking about my own opinion.

When you asked me why I liked Starfield I wrote a long and incredibly detailed reply with multiple links. If you honestly think I'm just some shallow contrarian that cant explain my own thoughts then just dont bother asking me for my opinion.

Last edited:

Larxia

I haven't played it yet, will do soon, but from everything I saw / heard, it seems like a fun game even if not groundbreaking. Does that deserves goty? Probably not, but the problem isn't in hogwarts itself, it's that when you compare it to other games on the list, it seems quite unfair, because these don't deserve goty either.

- Mario wonders? Seriously?
- Totk would totally deserve it if BOTW didn't exist before, but right now, with all the context behind it, with it just being a glorified DLC, it definitely doesn't deserve goty.
- Spider-man 2? It's a technical marvel (no pun intended) for sure, it's very impressive, but in itself, it's super similar to the first one, and it doesn't really deserve "goty" either imo, but at least this one I can understand a bit more.

I really don't see why Hogwarts Legacy couldn't be on the list when you have mario wonders and totk there really, these two already make the list feel ridiculous.

Baldur's Gate 3 is the one that should be goty anyway, it's the kind of game that you see very, very rarely, such a special thing, unlike everything else on the list (even if good games).

I'll say this as nicely as I can while just being direct. You can believe me when I state my own opinion on games or we can just not talk about it. I'm not wasting any more time convincing anyone I'm not a biased liar. Literally just talking about my own opinion.

When you asked me why I liked Starfield I wrote a long and incredibly detailed reply with multiple links. If you honestly think I'm just some shallow contrarian that cant explain my own thoughts then just dont bother asking me for my opinion.

This isn’t about Starfield as much as it is about those other game of the year candidates.

You instantly dismiss them for various reasons without playing them despite the fact that Starfield objectively is more divisive/flawed.

It’s just a strange position to take. Maybe you were willing to extend Starfield a chance and not the others merely due to superficial interest in the theme, fair enough, but you shouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the others that (imho) are far more deserving of a GOTY nomination

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This isn’t about Starfield as much as it is about those other game of the year candidates.

You instantly dismiss them for various reasons without playing them despite the fact that Starfield objectively is more divisive/flawed.

It’s just a strange position to take. Maybe you were willing to extend Starfield a chance and not the others merely due to superficial interest in the theme, fair enough, but you shouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the others on the light that (imho) are far more deserving of a GOTY nomination
I played 2 Spider Man games and didnt want to buy the 3rd. I then watched lots of video of SM2. FFXVI I played the demo multiple times and didnt want to buy it. I then watched almost an entire playthrough. Hogwarts Legacy I have almost no interest in but skimmed some videos. RE4 I played the demo multiple times and didnt want to buy it. I then skimmed many videos and reviews and comparison videos.

I told you I wasnt doing this anymore. I literally opened my post by openly stating I havent played all those games and these arent fully serious opinions. Take your objective bullshit and talk to someone else about it.

I played 2 Spider Man games and didnt want to buy the 3rd. I then watched lots of video of SM2. FFXVI I played the demo multiple times and didnt want to buy it. I then watched almost an entire playthrough. Hogwarts Legacy I have almost no interest in but skimmed some videos. RE4 I played the demo multiple times and didnt want to buy it. I then skimmed many videos and reviews and comparison videos.

I told you I wasnt doing this anymore. I literally opened my post by openly stating I havent played all those games and these arent fully serious opinions. Take your objective bullshit and talk to someone else about it.

You do realize watching YouTube videos is in no way equivalent to playing games, right? If I did that with every game I’d destroy the experience.

No need to get so upset when people are just having a discussion with you, clearly whatever I said seemed to hit too close to home. It’s not that serious

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Definitely deserves to be included. Just because it isn’t Demi s would level of hard doesn’t mean the game sucks. It’s got a good storyline and makes you feel like you’re a wizard man! How many bad licensed games have we had let’s celebrate when one is good!!

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
First of all i dont consider GOTY title as a standard for absolute masterpieces , the only year in which the game that won GOTY was also my personal GOTY was 2015 with witcher 3

But i see people being upset that Hogwarts Legacy isnt considered for GOTY , like seriously ? , the game is super mediocre , if it wasnt based on harry potter it would be called trash , it has nothing special , mediocre story , lack of progression , no choice and consequence , the loot is useless , level design is trash except for the castle , open world is boring and lifeless with nothing to do , lack of character development

The only good things about it are the graphics and the castle , the castle is amazing to explore but thats it , has the standard dropped so low ?
resounding fail, for not having the quidditch mini game

it’s connected to anti woke crusade, even tho it’s as woke as they come.

But the game is nothing but a run of the mil ubisoft game. Just with the popular harry potter skin. Which is enough for me to play it. I might play it with my ex since she wanted to for so long.

I don't think HL should win GOTY over most of the other competitors but it certainly deserved nominations in categories like Art Design and Music. Completely pretending it doesn't exist was entirely political and driven by the 120 game "journalists" who were in charge of selecting which games would be nominated for The Game Politics Awards

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Imagine living in 2023 and still thinking that the "professional" game press scores, nominations and awards are really worth something or is any real metric for defining quality.

Whats next ? The Oscars nominations ?

Imagine living in 2023 and still thinking that the "professional" game press scores, nominations and awards are really worth something or is any real metric for defining quality.

Whats next ? The Oscars nominations ?
It feels like these things are specifically for fanboys on video game forums so they can say their game won GOTY or was nominated in order to deflect from any criticism

Zuzu

I don't think it should actually win GOTY at The Game Awards or any other awards. It's not better than Tears of the Kingdom or Baldur's Gate 3. But should it be nominated? I have't played Spiderman 2 or Alan Wake 2 but from what I've seen of them I don't think it's ridiculous for someone to put Hogwart's above Spiderman 2 or even Alan Wake 2 on the nomination list. It's not an all time great game but it seems to be a solid, good game based on what I've played of it so far (though combat is a bit simple for me).

Last edited:

GymWolf

I used to think HP was garbage when I was an angsty teen. Now I am 34 and I watched all 8 movies and they are amazing.
The game also.
I realized after my 30 birthday that I don't need to have stick in my ass all the time
And the books are much better than the movies.

Last edited:

Hudo

People like what they like.

There are some people on this very forum who call Red Dead Redemption 2 one of the best games ever made. I don't understand them but I can accept that they just like what they like.
And from everything I've heard Hogwarts Legacy is pretty solid game and Potterheads (is this how the fans call themselves?) seem to really like it.

samoilaaa

The pander to the cuckoos was much better in spidey 2.
im sorry that i kept you away from your dreams MJ , pleaseee forgive me , who gives a shit about the safety of an entire town , what matters are the dreams of a strong independent woman

Last edited:

ahtlas7

It’s my GOTY. Don’t see what‘s hard to believe. I disagree with most of your original post but whatever. Hope you find something you enjoy.

Top Bottom