• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't bring myself to watch The Force Awakens more than a couple of times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Much like TFA, from around a year after ROTS until... a year after TFA's release, the reception to the prequels was largely negative for many in online discussion. Hell, this year is when folks began the "Are the prequels really bad?" line of articles and whatnot.

Here, look at the Lucasfilm buyout stories.

The Verge
Actual headline for further articles:

Random comments:

The Atlantic

BBC

Ars Technica

No, folks weren't happy with the prequels prior to a certain point. Folks were high on every film when it was released and then turned on them later. Once ROTS was out, folks turned on all three for quite awhile.

Some folks. The general audience wasn't which is why your whole the prequel trilogy soured people on star wars whereas tfa righted the ship does make sense. Like you said this exact same phenomena is happening with tfa.

Also Lucas buyout stories have absolutely nothing to do with this. That time difference is so great that it describes the very turn I was explaining. If you were to make a point you'd have to point at articles when the films were released or a year after and a number of articles to describe such a wide spread turn. Rots released in 2005. With a 7.6 Imdb a 79% rotten score and 68 metacritic.

Those are better scores than a lot of modern blockbusters. Especially the metacritic. To say they were widely derided at the time or shortly afterwards is just plain incorrect.

Tovarisc

Because 92% of critics enjoyed the movie and you didn't?

I guess you could word it that way. Makes me question why they think it's really that special and borderline perfect movie.

Little bit like with Naughty Dog games I have never understood how they are 9 / 10 or 10 / 10 games.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I guess you could word it that way. Makes me question why they think it's really that special and borderline perfect movie.

Little bit like with Naughty Dog games I have never understood how they are 9 / 10 or 10 / 10 games.

You do not understand how rotten tomatoes works, educate yourself.

I'm not "wording" it that way. That's literally what it means. Its not a rating. It just means that 92% of critics that rated said movie gave it a positive rating rather than a negative one.

It doesn't mean it's a perfect movie, it's not saying it's a 9/10. It literally just means that 92% of critics rated it fresh.

Surfinn

For those if you saying the story sucked and that it didn't respect the OT, how would you have handled the story?

Genuinely curious

But I've seen TFA probably ten times and don't get tired of it.

It's got some obvious flaws, definitely, but it succeeds in its characters and their interactions. We care about their struggles and want to see them succeed. Much more so than anybody in the PT.

These films don't work without those components. Which is largely why the PT failed.

I bet you most people in this thread, at a minimum, want to see what happens to Rey and Kylo and how they deal with it. Which I think is exactly what TFA was trying to accomplish

kess

Force Awakens isn't a bad movie, but there's nothing particularly iconic about it, save Kylo Ren's heel turn. Lucas is very good at creating memorable concepts, even if they were pretty stupid.

Would you rather have a Death Fucking Star or a Starkiller Base?

I haven't had that problem at all. Behind Empire it's usually the one I'm most likely to re-watch nowadays. It has its flaws but I loved the new characters and it's a great starting point for the new trilogy.

Waggles

Could be that too as I have never looked too deep into how Rotten forms ratings. Just formed basic understanding from looking reviewer scores in relation to Rotten rating.

RT gives a positive percentage as long as the reviewer gave it higher than 6/10 (I think...?). anything lower subtracts from the percentage.

It's a silly metric that doesn't actually reflect the quality of a film. 92% of reviews could have thought Force Awakens was only "okay".

RT is best used to discern how many reviewers didn't think a film was shit.

edit: this is why I hate steam review metrics. Very Positive should mean a game is great, not that a bunch of people could make the same joke review post over and over.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Could be that too as I have never looked too deep into how Rotten forms ratings. Just formed basic understanding from looking reviewer scores in relation to Rotten rating.
Rotten tomato.scores are a like/dislike bar in percentage form. There'a no granularity to the rating from a specific critic. Just a general likeability metric.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Force Awakens isn't a bad movie, but there's nothing particularly iconic about it, save Kylo Ren's heel turn. Lucas is very good at creating memorable concepts, even if they were pretty stupid.

Would you rather have a Death Fucking Star or a Starkiller Base?
IKm8CoR.gif

This moment is incredibly important for many, especially younger women. Hearing multiple crowds cheer at this point was a joy.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I saw Avatar three times at the cinema and watched it on Blu-Ray twice. LOVED it. The first time I saw Avatar I felt like a little kid again, being amazed by the jaw droppings spectacle and visuals.

I saw TFA at the cinema and though it was a mediocre retread of the first movie - but without the charm and sense of wonder. I didn't want to see Rogue One at the cinema, so I saw it at home many months later. And it was a bore too. I'm not at all looking forward to further Star Wars movies.

RT gives a positive percentage as long as the reviewer gave it higher than 6/10 (I think...?). anything lower subtracts from the percentage.

It's a silly metric that doesn't actually reflect the quality of a film. 92% of reviews could have thought Force Awakens was only "okay".

edit: this is why I hate steam review metrics. Very Positive should mean a game is great, not that a bunch of people could make the same joke review post over and over.

Okay so go by the average score of 8.2/10 then. Critics in general thought the movie was good.

BobLoblaw

Banned
I've only seen TFA once and that was when the Blu-ray was released. I have no desire to watch it again either. I've already listed most of my complaints around here. As much hate as AoTC gets around here, I've at least managed to watch it two or three times. TFA is just a bad Star wars movie. The acting is terrible, the unfunny one liners are abominable, and the story itself was done much better the first time it was done over 30 years ago.

Surfinn

I've only seen TFA once and that was when the Blu-ray was released. I have no desire to watch it again either. I've already listed most of my complaints around here. As much hate as AoTC gets around here, I've at least managed to watch it two or three times. TFA is just a bad Star wars movie. The acting is terrible, the unfunny one liners are abominable, and the story itself was done much better the first time it was done over 30 years ago.
The acting is terrible?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Dazza

Kind of sums up blockbuster movie making in general, aiming for the non offensive non polarising safe options

If you count Episode 4, you seen Force Awaken a bunch of times...

I have seen Force Awakens once, don't care to ever see it again..

Ristifer

The acting is terrible in TFA, but you managed to watch AotC more than once? Okay then.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I saw that when I got home after the movie and my mind was blown. I knew then that the review aggregate at rotten tomatoes means nothing.

Oh great, another person who doesn't understand it.

We get it dude, you don't like it. The majority of people did though, it's not mind blowing. There's plenty of movies that are the butt of jokes all over the internet, the prequels, prometheus and covenant, BvS, recent terminators etc. Huge numbers of people decided on mass that those movies sucked and they get justly ridiculed. TFA is not one of those movies, people liked the characters and are looking forward to what happens next. The small percentage of people who whine is no more than any other hyped movie receives.

Movie moves too fast and lacks originality, it doesn't have an identity other than being a Star Wars movie, which was its goal since it's more of a soft reboot. I enjoyed the characters, but it's always a bore watching something that doesn't do anything new. Hopefully The Last Jedi makes an attempt to be its own thing.

Just to clarify I thought it was fine, but it had a lot of shortcomings when it came to story.

JimiNutz

Banned
Still salty on the bait and switch with Boyega, and the poor action. Enjoyed R1 far more.

Yeah the bait and switch upset me a little too. I was ready to see Boyega slicing and dicing and was pretty horrified to see him relegated to the bumbling but loveable fool who seemed like he was mainly there for comedic effect.

The action was really poor too. I get that some people didn't like the acrobatic lightsaber fights in the prequels and I agree to a degree but the lightsaber fight in TFA was really boring. I get that Rey isn't trained or anything but still... At least find a way to make the final fight interesting. All of the dogfights were boring as well - especially in comparison to Rogue One which had awesome battles.

Crayon

Oh great, another person who doesn't understand it.

We get it dude, you don't like it. The majority of people did though, it's not mind blowing. There's plenty of movies that are the butt of jokes all over the internet, the prequels, prometheus and covenant, BvS, recent terminators etc. Huge numbers of people decided on mass that those movies sucked and they get justly ridiculed. TFA is not one of those movies, people liked the characters and are looking forward to what happens next. The small percentage of people who whine is no more than any other hyped movie receives.

I really did misunderstand that 92% doesn't mean 92% "good" but 92% "unoffended".

Nere

Agreed they played it way too safe. Say whatever you want about the prequels but at least Lucas tried to add new things and expand the universe. TFA happens 20 years into the future and nothing has changed, we still have the resistance, we still have the empire copy cat, boring. Plus the movie follows a new hope to the letter.

Surfinn

Things I wish they did differently:

Puppet Maz with cgi touch up, rework or remove Starkiller, add much more world building and match the creative ambition of the concept art, possibly replace or rework the monster scene before the second act to provide more breathing room to get to know the characters more..

Aside from that I think they did a great job

Hari Seldon

Yeah I'd say the movie is just OK. Not as bad as the pile of shit that was Rogue One but not worth more than 2 viewings in my mind.

bionic77

IKm8CoR.gif

This moment is incredibly important for many, especially younger women. Hearing multiple crowds cheer at this point was a joy.
I felt a lot of feels at that exact moment when I say it the night it opened.

I felt like it was the early 80s and I was seeing Star Wars in the theater for the first time (rerelease).

I also watched the OG movies probably 50 times as a kid but that was as much about there not being a lot of entertainment as much as how awesome the movies were.

Kid Ying

The Matrix dodge looks ridiculous.
The scene is not even that great. Rey pushing Kylo wasn't an accomplishment at all. The guy is the most incompetent villain in the series. The only one he actually fought and won was that computer. Even a thousand years old Han had to be tricked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom