• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can't bring myself to watch The Force Awakens more than a couple of times

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good movie but for me there's nothing worth talking about beyond "man that scene was awesome" or "Finn was pretty cool." I'd watch it again.

I have hopes for EP8 though and based on the trailers looks like RJ is trying new things like the prequels. Which if pull off can be great. I am like a kevin smith level of fan when it comes to SW so I am pleased easy lol. But even to me AoTC sucked and I saw it like 2-3 times. But I just can't get into episode vii. it just feels like a boring movie to me. Nothing about it stood out to me like that until the last scene. Even the space battles to me didin't feel as good. Atleast not on the level of ANH, RoTJ. They felt TPM level.

So, it should be more like the OT?

I don't know what it should be. I'm saying that the first kid stranded on the desert planet with dormant Force powers had to actually learn how to control and use it. That kid was also the direct offspring of the most powerful Force user in the galaxy.

The second kid stranded on the desert planet with dormant Force powers just did stuff when the script called for it, i.e. controlling the MF in her first time in it, blocking the mind reading, Jedi mind tricking, etc.

Before you accuse me of Mary Sue or whatever, I am not, nor never have said that. That's just the difference in the two heroes journeys.

I don't know what it should be. I'm saying that the first kid stranded on the desert planet with dormant Force powers had to actually learn how to control and use it. That kid was also the direct offspring of the most powerful Force user in the galaxy.

The second kid stranded on the planet with dormant Force powers just did stuff when the script called for it, i.e. controlling the MF in her first time in it, blocking the mind reading, Jedi mind tricking, etc.

Before you accuse me of Mary Sue or whatever, I am not, nor never have said that. That's just the difference in the two heroes journeys.

Yeah the Rey character made no sense to me. Luke i understand and the movie establishes that he is the son of the strongest Jedi ever lived very beginning of the picture. Thus its natural to inherit his power. I hope they explain Rey. I still don't buy how she Mind Trick the stromtrooper like that or knows force pull, have force visions. Luke had none of that and he is son of Anakin.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

The second kid stranded on the desert planet with dormant Force powers just did stuff when the script called for it, i.e. controlling the MF in her first time in it, blocking the mind reading, Jedi mind tricking, etc.

ANH ended with Luke being guided to use the force by Old Ben to shoot without a monitor. He does not stand a chance against Darth, he does not get into a Lightsaber battle, He does not do anything, but begin to feel the force with the guidance of Ben.

TFA ends with Rey using the force to mind block, mind trick, and beating the big baddie the first time she picks up a Lightsaber. All of this without anyone's help.

Ristifer

I see what you're saying, but we have the luxury of knowing exactly what Luke's story was. Rey's story isn't finished yet. It might turn out to be a complete botch job, but I have no idea. But we don't have that luxury yet.

phanphare

Banned
great movie. great characters. the new characters are awesome. they do interesting things with them. rey and kylo are fresh takes in the star wars universe. the only real negative I had with the movie was general hux. whoever played him did a poor job. that speech he gave felt so cliche because the performance was bad.

I'll also fully admit that the movie played it safe and that I am 100% giving it a pass for playing it safe due to the context of the movie and the series in general. if they continue to play it safe going forward I'll criticize but for The Force Awakens I understood the need for that.

Another thing I dont like about disney pictures both marvel and SW is the forced comedy almost every scene. I mean I understand humor is good but they just feel forced in some scenes. Like every scene got to have a punchline or a pun.

JordanN

Banned
How can anyone hate Aotc?

It had some of the most hypest moments in Star Wars history.

tumblr_mr4s51sACk1su8566o1_500.gif

vgbLkf5.gif

That's stuff I like to see. Movies are to entertain you.

And without Aotc, we would never have gotten the Gennedy cartoons.

eQ_agf.gif

Where are Episode VII spinoffs?

Azuran

Banned
I mean, this released the same year.

5TuQx9m.jpg

Seriously there's plenty of video games and movies that have left a huge mark on me in the past five years. Just because I'm not 7 anymore doesn't mean fictional works lost all of their magic.

Being an adult has nothing to do with TFA being a mediocre film with nothing memorable. It's no wonder it's do forgetable.

Seriously there's plenty of video games and movies that have left a huge mark on me in the past five years. Just because I'm not 7 anymore doesn't mean fictional worKS lost their magic.

Being an adult has nothing to do with TFA being a mediocre film with nothing memorable. It's no wonder it's do forgetable.

i 100% agree with what you said. While Tom hardy is no Mel Gibson I still enjoyed Mad Max a lot. And I don't mind Charlize in MM. Max always had a sidekick in every movie except for the first one I think. I don't remember the first one like that.

Caelus

She specifically auditioned for a motion capture role. Two years later how do people still not know this?

Sorry dude, I wasn't aware nor do I feel the need to conduct research, and I'm still allowed to be disappointed that she didn't play a live action character even if she didn't audition for one. And I still would have liked another woman of color to play a major role. Is that difficult to understand?

Lmo911

It's a fun but extremely safe movie and people will gnash teeth about it for all time because of it.

This was Disney coming out and saying "See? It's going to be okay. No one mentioned trade deals or (whatever part of the prequels you hated)!"

They could have done things differently but this was the movie they needed to make to get the general public on board. For that it will always be punished.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
It's comedic moments were awful. Nothing in it was funny or endearing.

Wise up. Every single person laughed at the funny parts at the showings I was at, for example "That's not how the force works!". It must be a miserable life without a sense of humour.

I see what you're saying, but we have the luxury of knowing exactly what Luke's story was. Rey's story isn't finished yet. It might turn out to be a complete botch job, but I have no idea. But we don't have that luxury yet.

Even without knowing Luke's entire story, we knew that he did two Force based things in that film. Blocked the training droid's laser and hitting the Death Star money shot. With both of those, he had Obi-Wan patiently guiding him to exactly what he was supposed to do because he doesn't understand any of this and neither does the audience. TFA assumes that most people have an understanding of the Force and whatnot but Rey doesn't.

I think I would have been better with it if when we met Rey, she was using the Force but in a more matter of fact way. Perhaps using the Jedi Mind trick without actually knowing that she was to get people to do things when they were being difficult? LIke to her, she thinks it is because she is changing her tone but in reality, she is unwittingly using the Force.

Then we know that she is special and always has been without any formal training.

VeeP

Honestly, The Clone Wars should've been the PT. That show makes the PT look even worse, really.

I was wondering this the other day myself! Like why didn't Lucas just make the CW the PT?

That's true but fans were gonna see it no matter what and movies are trying to make money so bringing in as many people as possible was the smart move. Hopefully episode 8 will be the movie fans have been waiting for.

Yea it's understandable. I think they made the smart decision. My biggest disappointment during that film was that alike basically failed and we only had a glimpse of him :(. Hopefully episode 8 delivers on every level.

kunonabi

So, it should be more like the OT?

It's not even about taking out the antagonist so easily.

Take Luke in A New Hope.

His parents won't let him do what he wants and it takes their death for him achieve some kind of autonomy.

Gets tricked by R2 and has to go find him before his parents find out

He gets his ass handed to him by the Tusken Raiders

He gets completely laughed off when he suggests flying to Alderaan himself.

Almost gets killed in the garbage masher and needs r2 to save him.

He also gets shot down before destroying the Death Star if Han doesn't make his big return.

Insert Rey into that film and almost everyone becomes redundant.

She can speak to BB-8 off the jump for no reason while Luke needs Threepio to translate.

She can fly and repair the Falcon better than Han & Chewie despite operating it for the first time.

Don't really need Obi-Wan when her force powers as strong as they are.

Even more self-reliant and less in need of assistance than Leia.

She's pretty much the Lana Lang of Star Wars.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah the Rey character made no sense to me. Luke i understand and the movie establishes that he is the son of the strongest Jedi ever lived very beginning of the picture. Thus its natural to inherit his power. I hope they explain Rey. I still don't buy how she Mind Trick the stromtrooper like that or knows force pull, have force visions. Luke had none of that and he is son of Anakin.
This series has long since established that no you do not need to be the son of some incredibly powerful force user in order to have a natural affinity to the force. Especially since it's entirely dependent on the person. Luke spent two films not believing in the power of the force. Rey is basically a star wars fangirl who loves the OT and thus believes in the force and struggles way less with accepting it. Hell she's in fight or flight mode during the entire length of the film each time she uses the force. And each time Luke used it that's basically what it took until he had full control of it. For example, this is Ezra using it involuntarily as a sixth sense despite having no experience with the force.

She can speak to BB-8 off the jump for no reason while Luke needs Threepio to translate.
She's on her on a desert planet with no one to rely on so she relies incredibly heavily on self learning.

She can fly and repair the Falcon better than Han & Chewie despite operating it for the first time.
No she doesn't, all those shots of it nearly crashing into the sand say otherwise.

Don't really need Obi-Wan when her force powers as strong as they are.
She absolutely does as she likely can't use any of those powers unless she's explicitly in a fight or flight situation.

Even more self-reliant and less in need of assistance than Leia.
Growing up on a dangerous desert planet by yourself for more than a decade will do that. But no showing her actually do these things is just SO much less believable than being told that Luke is a great pilot.

It's a pretty good movie with plenty flaws. It's nowhere near as good as the originals. Still, I liked it much more than the prequels and Bore One: A Needless Story.

I did assume that the vader-esque badyguy was supposed to be some kind of threat. My bad. I can now see that Rey is stronger than every badguy. She a masterful martial artist. An ace fighter pilot. A top fencer. And can do force tricks. All on her first try.

They fucked up.

Who cares what happens next. She already washed the villain cleanly. Scarred his face as soon as she remembered the force. So not only is your new Vader a bum he's a bum who killed Han Solo? TRASH.

And to make Kylo looks extra trash she beat him by poking him with the lightsaber. Might as well have let Finn beat him if he's that much of a bum.

And don't give me that he was hurt nonsense. Rey was(or rather should have been) hurt too after that concussion from the back of her head hitting hard on that red oak tree that Kylo tossed her into. Rey woke up from being KO'd and still out force pulled Kylo's bitch ass.

Trash. Trash. Trash.

I loved this movie, Star Wars isn't meant to be a movie you think too hard about.

Every time I've caught it I watch it to the end. Only scenes that are boring are the scenes with Carrie Fisher, not a fan of her acting in the movie.

Surfinn

Maybe if you read and responded to the rest of my post where I explain a couple of major issues with Rogue One's plot (like entire sections of the movie have no effect on the plot like the tentacle monster scene), then I might change my mind, but as it is, a two-word post isn't going to do it.
I read the rest of it. Entire sections of the movie? That scene is like less than a minute long, lol

To compare the incompetence of the PT to something like R1 is ridiculous, even with its flaws. They had a goal and the audience knew what was going on. The film was straightforward, easy to follow and and complete. That's already a huge improvement over the majority of what happened in the plotlines established in the PT

Still think it should have been Luke pulling the light saber out of the snow and not Rey. Would it have made any sense? Not at all. Would I have peed my pants seeing old Luke holding a light saber in his first appearance in 30 something years? Absolutely.

This series has long since established that no you do not need to be the son of some incredibly powerful force user in order to have a natural affinity to the force. Especially since it's entirely dependent on the person. Luke spent two films not believing in the power of the force. Rey is basically a star wars fangirl who loves the OT and thus believes in the force and struggles way less with accepting it. Hell she's in fight or flight mode during the entire length of the film each time she uses the force. And each time Luke used it that's basically what it took until he had full control of it. For example, this is Ezra using it involuntarily as a sixth sense despite having no experience with the force.

Obviously otherwise there would be like 2 jedis in the world. But Rey knowing how to do mind tricks, force pull without any formal training? yeah sure i don't buy it. This is as dumb as if Luke skywalker did the mindtrick part in Tattooine instead of Obi-wan. Visions I understand as the lore establishes force sensitive people having visions. The proper outcome without Godlike power would be how the Ren vs Fin fight ended. Fin was a trained trooper all his life and got destroyed by Kylo Ren and Rey without any training just destroys Kylo Ren. Say what? The Rey Character made no sense to me.

It's too boring and safe. The stakes are a lot smaller. I actually have seen TPM multiple times whereas I'm not clamoring to see TFA again after the first.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
They fucked up.

Who cares what happens next. She already washed the villain cleanly. Scarred his face as soon as she remembered the force. So not only is your new Vader a bum he's a bum who killed Han Solo? TRASH.

And to make Kylo looks extra trash she beat him by poking him with the lightsaber. Might as well have let Finn beat him if he's that much of a bum.

And don't give me that he was hurt nonsense. Rey was(or rather should have been) hurt too after that concussion from the back of her head hitting hard on that red oak tree that Kylo tossed her into. Rey woke up from being KO'd and still out force pulled Kylo's bitch ass.

Trash. Trash. Trash.
He not only was hurt, he was emotionally drained. That's genuinely the worst thing that can happen to any force user. Hell it's arguably the only reason why Luke beat Vader. And no she didn't poke him with the lightsaber, how is this poking?
tumblr_o3h83gsdc01trsn9io2_r1_500.gif

It's like people are making up scenarios in their heads and then subsequently getting outraged at those scenarios.

Still think it should have been Luke pulling the light saber out of the snow and not Rey. Would it have made any sense? Not at all. Would I have peed my pants seeing old Luke holding a light saber in his first appearance in 30 something years? Absolutely.
That would be incredibly stupid.

Obviously otherwise there would be like 2 jedis in the world. But Rey knowing how to do mind tricks, force pull without any formal training? yeah sure i don't buy it. This is as dumb as if Luke skywalker did the mindtrick part in Tattooine instead of Obi-wan. Visions I understand as the lore establishes force sensitive people having visions. The proper outcome without Godlike power would be how the Ren vs Fin fight ended. Fin was a trained trooper all his life and got destroyed by Kylo Ren and Rey without any training just destroys Kylo Ren. Say what? The Rey Character made no sense to me.
This series never even establishes that you need advance Jedi training to use those. And do a play by play on the scene. How in the world is what she did "destroying him." She spent literally more than half the fight running away and being on the defensive.
D67Uirx.gif

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I like the concept of Rey as a character. A female Jedi is a great idea and a main character? Even better.

The problem is the execution, I agree that TFA completely neutered Kylo Ren. An untrained Rey was able to beat him pretty much, what threat would Kylo pose to a Rey trained by the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy?

When Hamill first read the script he thought it was when Luke would turn up.

When Hamill first read the script he thought it was when Luke would turn up.

I think he was joking about that in those interview. I think that would have been dumber than Rey destroying Kylo Ren like nothing without any training and doing advanced force techs like mind trick without even being aware of what a mind trick is.

Surfinn

I think he was joking about that in those interview. I think that would have been dumber than Rey destroying Kylo Ren like nothing without any training and doing advanced force techs like mind trick without even being aware of what a mind trick is.
Even though Kylo knocked her ass out in one second and that Rey got bailed out by Finn

I never heard this.

Link?

Here it is.

Like all of us, Hamill was surprised to find out not only did he not appear until the final scene of the film, he doesn't have a line of dialogue. Well, at Hamill's panel at Star Wars Celebration Europe he revealed that, while reading, he kept guessing when Luke would appear. And his best guess was the coolest thing ever.

”Where I thought I came in, I thought I came in when the lightsaber flies off [in the snow]," Hamill said. He then reacted surprised that it wasn't him. ”What? Rey caught it? She hasn't even finished her training!"

Of course, he then joked that Luke didn't finish his training either, instead going off to save his friends. Sort of like Rey does to defend and avenge Finn and Han.

He's admitted he's had some bad ideas - I guess that's why he's starring in it and not writing it.

Man, you'd think Rey had defeated Kylo in his prime with one hit with the way some of you go on.

Sorcerer

Originally posted by "kunonabi".

"He gets completely laughed off when he suggests flying to Alderaan himself".

I must have seen A New Hope 50 times. When did this happen?

Vagabundo

ANH ended with Luke being guided to use the force by Old Ben to shoot without a monitor. He does not stand a chance against Darth, he does not get into a Lightsaber battle, He does not do anything, but begin to feel the force with the guidance of Ben.

TFA ends with Rey using the force to mind block, mind trick, and beating the big baddie the first time she picks up a Lightsaber. All of this without anyone's help.

Yeah. I dont get how people dont see this: Rey at the end of the film is where Luke is at the end of ESB.

Originally posted by "kunonabi".

"He gets completely laughed off when he suggests flying to Alderaan himself".

I must have seen A New Hope 50 times. When did this happen?

When Luke scoffs at Han's asking price and says they could buy a ship for that cost. Han retorts, "Yeah but who's gonna fly it? You?"

Movie was a boring remake of Episode IV with less heart and worse characters. Some of the casting felt awkward and made me feel like I was watching a CW movie (Kylo Ren, General Hux) entitled 'The Kids of Star Wars'. Even Han Solo and Leia felt like caricatures of themselves; we don't get a good sense of where they've been and what they've been doing since the end of Episode VI. The world building in general is terrible. We don't get a good explanation of The Resistance, The Republic, The First Order...it all feels like a more complicated and less compelling retread of the Empire vs Rebels. Some people say that the novels flesh out the politics...but I don't want to read books in order to make a bad movie more tolerable.

If Episode VIII is good, it can definitely salvage the new series. Episode VII was just so damn boring.

Yeah. I dont get how people dont see this: Rey at the end of the film is where Luke is at the end of ESB.

Yeah either Rey is the strongest Jedi ever lived or this whole character is just dumb. But it's the writers fault and quite clear they have no idea about the SW lore. Especially without George guiding them.

Yeah either Rey is the strongest Jedi ever lived or this whole character is just dumb. But it's the writers fault and quite clear they have no idea about the SW lore.

It will be the former and she will create her thread of Force users that actually balance Light and Dark powers for the ultimate badassery.

Rey will be what Lutherans were to Christianity.

That's why the movie is called The Last Jedi.

Rey will be the First Whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom