• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom expects Marvel to sell 2 million, RE7 2M more, has major unannounced title

le.phat

MH never sold extremely well on consoles. I feel like the series really started get momentum as it came out on PSP in Japan.

Monster hunter on a console with proper online services / groups / community / streaming etc. will do monstrous. You're trying to set a precedent over a PS2 port that was dependent on an external modem, and a 3DS port on Wii, a console that couldn't offer a decent online experience if you life depended on it.

Monster hunter on switch and/or Ps4 would set the world on fire.

Freeman76

Dunno, I kinda feel like Horizon ate some of MH's lunch when it comes to consoles and the west.

It's SP sure but it still very much feels like a hunting game but also at the same time offers a great open world, story etc.

While playing it I couldn't help but feel that Capcom was being left behind.

No chance. Horizonisnt doing anything new

Monster hunter on a console with proper online services / groups / community / streaming etc. will do monstrous. You're trying to set a precedent over a PS2 port that was dependent on an external modem, and a 3DS port on Wii, a console that couldn't offer a decent online experience if you life depended on it.

Did Toukiden already set the world on fire?

Sesha

My first guess would be DMC, but I'm not sure how well the Ninja Theory game did. If they speaking specifically to the Japanese market then Monster Hunter could be a contender as well.

DmC has done 1.9m, just 100k short of the original sales projection before Capcom adjusted it to 1.2m and then 1.15m. DMC4 has sold 3m, DMC HD Collection 1m, and DMC4 Special Edition "sold well" and was cited as a key contributor to raising profits by 105% in Q3 FY2014.

Jawmuncher

Did Toukiden already set the world on fire?

Some changes are going to be needed for sure. Just new graphics/systems and the same game I doubt would set the world on fire and suddenly make the series a world wide brand.

Sesha

I'd love if they stuck with that early BoF camera perspective.

tumblr_ofx4146Hf81u46q4qo1_500.gif

tumblr_ogsxys7JgZ1r7sijxo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

If they westernize MH, Capcom is dead to me. DEAD.

There's so much you can streamline in MH without losing much if any depth, especially outside the hunts. The games have become super messy in the village/hub areas that even as a fan, I get sick and tired of that stuff.

--

Marvels 2 mil expectation seems way too reasonable for Capcom. Waiting for them to botch it some how.

redcrayon

I spent about 200 hours online in Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii. It wasn't a 3DS port, and the online was both pretty good and free. No streaming or anything back then but it was still pretty good.

Oregano

Toukiden, Freedom Wars, etc. All games proclaimed to be not-Monster Hunter clones by many and yet for some reason used as the definitive reason as to why Monster Hunter would never do well on a console.
The people claiming those two things are generally not the same people.

Ridley327

Toukiden, Freedom Wars, etc. All games proclaimed to be not-Monster Hunter clones by many and yet for some reason used as the definitive reason as to why Monster Hunter would never do well on a console.
The only people that claim that those games aren't like Monster Hunter are the kind of people that don't like Monster Hunter to begin with.

It also has an aesthetic that may not appeal to western audience
Nioh sold pretty good. Also how would MH be different? I mean we know there is an audience for MH in the west. the 3ds titles sold pretty well. But you guys always think it will be a blockbuster title that could sell like an uncharted just because it is released on the PS4.

Oregano

It also has an aesthetic that may not appeal to western audience and did not receive any significant amount of marketing.

Okay but about in Japan where the PS4 focused sequel bombed?

This conversation was spring boarded by a suggestion that the millions of people buying Monster Hunter now would still buy it if it was a PS4 game.

cheesekao

Nioh sold pretty good. Also how would MH be different?
I said may. Nioh did well due to the positive feedback it had from multiple betas and the glowing review scores, something that can't be said for Toukiden. MH has people with badass armor battling dragons and shit. MH has more appealing enemy designs in general methinks. I'm sure you can see how that's an easier sell than battling onis.

Okay but about in Japan where the PS4 focused sequel bombed?

This conversation was spring boarded by a suggestion that the millions of people buying Monster Hunter now would still buy it if it was a PS4 game.
I never agreed with that notion. I believe there is a potential western audience but it needs to be cultivated.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Why will Capcom expect RE7 to sell more if they are not going to release it on Nintendo Switch?

cheesekao

So, why is Dragon's Dogma still not at 10 mio?
DD didn't really have cool looking armor imo so there's that. There were plenty of wartime FPS's in the past but why did only a select few stand on top? It's a combination of many things really but at the end of the day, marketing is a key part in boosting the potential sales of a series.

kc44135

Ehh, everybody seems so sure that this major title is DMC fans, but I feel like there's a strong chance it's REmake 2. It's been a good long while since it was announced, and I think the main reason we haven't heard or seen anything on it is because Capcom didn't want to distract from RE7. I think they've been silent enough on it that you could count it as unnannounced, as well. Personally, I think we're getting RE2 this year, and DMC 5 will be next year.

I could be wrong though, of course, and I'd honestly rather have DMC5. After all, it's been a really long time since DMC4, and DMC is just such a fantastic series. Beyond that, the more time that passes, the more I'm convinced RE2 just won't be the game I want it to be.

No one said this. Some of you sound so shook lol

Are you even reading the thread and the threads involving everything MH for the last 3-4 years?

Ehh, everybody seems so sure that this major title is DMC fans, but I feel like there's a strong chance it's REmake 2. It's been a good long while since it was announced, and I think the main reason we haven't heard or seen anything on it is because Capcom didn't want to distract from RE7. I think they've been silent enough on it that you could count it as unnannounced, as well. Personally, I think we're getting RE2 this year, and DMC 5 will be next year.

I could be wrong though, of course, and I'd honestly rather have DMC5. After all, it's been a really long time since DMC4, and DMC is just such a fantastic series. Beyond that, the more time that passes, the more I'm convinced RE2 just won't be the game I want it to be.

'major unannounced title'

I mean, how can you say it counts as unannounced but it's been announced lol

I think the game will be more action oriented like Horizon, and put heavy emphasis on Single Player and make MP more like an additional option like Dark Souls.

Setting can also change to modern days to fit with Hollywood movie.

Yep, this what I think will happen too.

Oregano

I said may. Nioh did well due to the positive feedback it had from multiple betas and the glowing review scores, something that can't be said for Toukiden. MH has people with badass armor battling dragons and shit. MH has more appealing enemy designs in general methinks. I'm sure you can see how that's an easier sell than battling onis.

I never agreed with that notion. I believe there is a potential western audience but it needs to be cultivated.

I would agree with that but I don't think changing platform is a silver bullet. It might help and they are certainly moving in a multiplatform direction but there are still massive challenges.

kc44135

'major unannounced title'

As I said in my previous comment, I feel like with so much time having passed since it was "announced" and with virtually nothing being revealed about it, that Capcom could very well view the game as unnannounced at this point. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

BadWolf

As I said in my previous comment, I feel like with so much time having passed since it was "announced" and with virtually nothing being revealed about it, that Capcom could very well view the game as unnannounced at this point. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

Still announced, we know it's happening.

Unless there is some new hip meaning to 'unannounced' these days then it doesn't qualify.

cheesekao

I would agree with that but I don't think changing platform is a silver bullet. It might help and they are certainly moving in a multiplatform direction but there are still massive challenges.
Of course. That is why I believe that adding a proper campaign would be a step in the right direction. You can only do so much with a classic MH trailer but a trailer with cool scenes, set pieces and a story to hook viewers in has great potential imo.

Are you even reading the thread and the threads involving everything MH for the last 3-4 years?

Still not seeing where anyone said the game would sell Uncharted numbers (8-9m+). And yes, I have been reading and contributing to several MH threads since joining.

At the end of the day, Capcom is looking to broaden the game's reach overseas as they feel that the 3DS limited them in that sense, despite great sales. For future titles they're looking to focus on multiplatform development. Now, it doesn't really take much thought to realise what they're planning on doing with the franchise. Whether it's an exclusive, a multiplatform game, a spin off or whatever, I think it's clear that the days of the franchise being locked to Nintendo systems are over.

I don't know how it's going to sell, I just find the resistance to the idea that future games may appear on something else either than a Nintendo platform funny.

Oregano

Of course. That is why I believe that adding a proper campaign would be a step in the right direction. You can only do so much with a classic MH trailer but a trailer with cool scenes, set pieces and a story to hook viewers in has great potential imo.

MH4 already moved a bit in that direction. Generations was a bit of a step backwards in that regard.

Sesha

Is this a real game? And if so, what is it?
This is like one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen

It's just a fan art of Shin Megami Tensei 4 reimagined in the style of BoF 4. The actual game doesn't look like that, unfortunately.

Why will Capcom expect RE7 to sell more if they are not going to release it on Nintendo Switch?

It's a Resident Evil game. Those never stop selling, at least the ones on PS/Xbox/PC. RE7 has only been out for about three months, and these numbers are only from until the end of March.

DMC pachinko.

We already got one of those last year. Well, pachislot. DMCX was basically a replacement for the old DMC4 pachislot game that came out in 2013. I don't think they could squeeze another pachislot game out of DMC4. They'd need a whole new set of assets to work with before the DMC4 assets start to smell.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
DLC, a second push in advertising, a Complete Edition when all of said DLC is released, etc.

I doubt a DLC is going to help sell so much, and I don't think there's going to be a second push in advertising. A Complete Edition I guess so, Sony's VR exclusivity for this game ends 12 months after its launch, so I am sure a complete edition for PC with VR is more or less confirmed.

TreIII

MH4 already moved a bit in that direction. Generations was a bit of a step backwards in that regard.

And for good reason: X/Gen was never meant to be a true sequel. It was more or less the equivalent of a dreammatch crossover game that celebrated every aspect of the brand up to the point.

Most of the team behind 4 went on to make Stories, while X was a thing but together by the Portable team.

BadWolf

I doubt a DLC is going to help sell so much, and I don't think there's going to be a second push in advertising. A Complete Edition I guess so, Sony's VR exclusivity for this game ends 12 months after its launch, so I am sure a complete edition for PC with VR is more or less confirmed.

RE games tend to have long legs and continue to sell for years to come.

Top Bottom