• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom expects Marvel to sell 2 million, RE7 2M more, has major unannounced title

Oregano

That's assuming that those millions of people only bought Monster Hunter because of the local multiplayer, which is likely far from the truth.

You only have to look at the sales of hunting actions games on consoles(including PS4) to know that it's definitely not far from the truth.

Sesha

They're being serious. I don't get how that's going to move millions in Japan, but that doesn't seem to matter.

No one said it was going to move millions in Japan. A better question is how will they move 4.7m units in North America and 2.6m in Europe with just MvC: Infinite and RE7 catalog sales alone?

I think the major title would be the remake of RE2 or some Monster Hunter game. Way to little chance of it being DMC5 or any of their other franchises.

Itsuno is announcing a new title this year.

Are people being serious about DMC5, or is that like a joke/meme or something? I thought the franchise was dead?

Serious. DMC is Capcom's best selling franchise per unit, and we had two new releases, one that included a significant amount of content, less than two years ago. Why would it be dead? There have been longer waits with no little to no word of anything new. Dead Rising went about three years between 3 and 4.

Capcom constantly restates it as one of their major/key/pillar franchises DMC, it was mentioned alongside RE, DR, SF and "other" franchises in their 2016-18 pipeline, and Itsuno is working on a new title which will be announced this year. What else would Itsuno work on? Dragon's Dogma? Power Stone? Certainly not a new IP because Capcom doesn't seem very inclined to make new IPs on consoles at the moment. I guess there could be DMC HD Collection for PS4/X1, but that wouldn't warrant mentioning on Twitter, when he rarely posts at all, twice with a year apart with a promise of an announcement. It would be rather uncharacteristic of him.

cvxfreak

The unannounced title could be RE2make.

Sure, it was "announced" but there is literally zero information out there regarding its release. From a financial standpoint it might as well be a title not yet announced.

The only think I see them doing with a new MH is adding better controls on Switch, which honestly is all I ever wanted from the franchise. I'd like a different mission structure but better controls I'll take.

As a Switch owner I want this to basically be like Destiny. You know what? It will be the Switch's Destiny. BOOKMARK THAT.

So you say that for the game to be on PS4, the franchise would need re-inventing so it's not going to happen, but you want the game to be like Destiny? I don't think I need to point out the irony here.

You only have to look at the sales of hunting actions games on consoles(including PS4) to know that it's definitely not far from the truth.

None of that data points to "people must have bought these games for local co-op, then". All it tells me is that Non-Monster Hunter hunting action games don't do Monster Hunter numbers, which is common sense anyway. There could be and likely are a number of reasons why those games didn't do well on PS4. To pin it on millions of people upset with the lack of co-op is just seeing what you want to see. It's never that simple.

Is the Ghost N' Goblins reboot from Capcom Vancouver still a thing?
So you say that for the game to be on PS4, the franchise would need re-inventing so it's not going to happen, but you want the game to be like Destiny? I don't think I need to point out the irony here.

If I had it my way, everything will be like Destiny. That is reinvention.

Perfecto.

jonno394

No one said it was going to move millions in Japan. A better question is how will they move 4.7m units in North America and 2.6m in Europe with just MvC: Infinite and RE7 catalog sales alone?

Well they're expecting 4m shipments for those two titles alone WW, and subtracting the few hundred thousand MvC will do and the close to zero RE7 will do in Japan that leaves a couple million unaccounted for there and several million in the West.

Potentially then we have a game they see releasing WW and performing well in all territories, or theres more than one big unannounced game.

Jawmuncher

The unannounced title could be RE2make.

Sure, it was "announced" but there is literally zero information out there regarding its release. From a financial standpoint it might as well be a title not yet announced.

It could be. But I'd figure they'd wait until TGS and push the DLC so they can really hammer at that 2 million estimate they have for 7.

Is the Ghost N' Goblins reboot from Capcom Vancouver still a thing?

If I had it my way, everything will be like Destiny. That is reinvention.

Perfecto.

All we know is that it existed at capcom Vancouver at one point. No other info on if it was cancelled silently or anything until someone gives more info on it.

Well they're expecting 4m sales for those two titles alone, and subtracting the few hundred thousand MvC will do in Japan that leaves a couple million unaccounted for there and several million in the West.

Potentially then we have a game they see releasing WW and performing well in all territories, or theres more than one big unannounced game.

There's probably a decent amount of titles. Capcom won't list smaller titles. Such as the Resident Evil ports or mega man collections and the like. But stuff like that end up making a big increase in numerous regions and the total numbers.

We know currently there is
Revelation on PS4/X1
Code Veronica PS4/X1
Disney After Noon collection
Mega man collection 2
Street fighter 2 switch

Probably some other titles as well. Not big things, but will help the number across all regions.

sinonobu

Banned

None of that data points to "people must have bought these games for local co-op, then". All it tells me is that Non-Monster Hunter hunting action games don't do Monster Hunter numbers, which is common sense anyway. There could be and likely are a number of reasons why those games didn't do well on PS4. To pin it on millions of people upset with the lack of co-op is just seeing what you want to see. It's never that simple.

MH never sold extremely well on consoles. I feel like the series really started get momentum as it came out on PSP in Japan.

french community manager for MH.

'Community Manager' doesn't sound credible at all

sinonobu

Banned
I think MH on PS4 will happen alongside with Xbone and PC.

But I it's going to be western targeted game that is going to be tied to the movie though.

cheesekao

MH never sold extremely well on consoles. I feel like the series really started get momentum as it came out on PSP in Japan.
It was never really given a big chance in the west. I personally believe there is a potential western audience for a home console MH because Horizon ZD is pretty much MH lite. An MH with a fully fleshed out single player campaign with COOP and proper marketing may help the franchise find the foothold it needs.

jonno394

I've just realised that you DMC fans and Monster Hunter fans will both get something like what you want when the official video game of the Monster Hunter movie turns out to be a character action game featuring monster Hunter beasts as the enemies. Set against the backdrop of iconic locations as a city centre, a church, a shopping mall, a subway and a sky scraper.

sinonobu

Banned
Who's doing the movie?

I think the guy behind Resident Evil movie is doing the movie

It was never really given a big chance in the west. I personally believe there is a potential western audience for a home console MH because Horizon ZD is pretty much MH lite. An MH with a fully fleshed out single player campaign with COOP and proper marketing may help the franchise find the foothold it needs.

I don't think the mainline Monster Hunter will take that route. I think there's going to be separate game that is tied with the movie that will target Western audience.

Omitting or marginalizing a game's co-op features when it's a staple of a series rarely, if ever, ends well. Lego games without it are shit and reviewed as such; Halo 5...well, look at the one-star Amazon reviews from verified purchasers and it's the first thing that comes up.

Jawmuncher

Capcom has made a big deal about making monster hunter a worldwide brand. A lot of their slides were basically just about monster hunter and then there's the info from last years presentation.

I could definitely see them trying one of these things.

-Either making a new sort of series focused on home consoles & westerners, while keeping the portable MH closer to classic.

-Going from the switch as lead (to keep Japan happy) and porting to the rest.

Can't think of much else they'd do outside trying to get that movie to happen and hopefully be as successful as the Resident Evil film series was.

I will say they if they're focusing on making the brand bigger in the rest, I think it'd need more than just being on X1/PS4/PC/Switch. The series seems to be at a wall in interesting new people to come aboard. Even with some of the mechanics they have been changing to try and convince people. Only ideas I have in appealing to more westerners would be

- Changing the gameplay (Don't think that would work)
- More focus on story
- Big push on coop and making something more akin to Destiny/Divison

7DxtLI.gif
Someone needs to shop that gif so the scarecrows read as DmC2 and Vergil as DMC5.

jonno394

FUCK YES.

Here is the synopsis

"For every Monster, there is a Hero. An ordinary man in a dead end job discovers that he is actually the descendant of an ancient hero. He must travel to a mystical world to train to become a Monster Hunter, before the mythical creatures from that world destroy ours"

I'm still going with the character action game spin off idea.

cheesekao

I don't think the mainline Monster Hunter will take that route. I think there's going to be separate game that is tied with the movie that will target Western audience.
Is it really worth the effort to make two different titles though? Classic MH mode could simply be an option on the main menu while having a brand new campaign mode. Equipment and items would carry over between the two modes.

sinonobu

Banned
Is it really worth the effort to make two different titles though? Classic MH mode could simply be an option on the main menu while having a brand new SP mode with gears and item carrying over between modes.

I don't think just tweaking the game a bit won't make the game successful.

But getting rid off the traditional MH would be suicidal move from Capcom as it's one of the only franchise that sells well constantly.

That's why I think there would be separate MH that will be Western targeted developed by Western Studio.

I think MH on PS4 will happen alongside with Xbone and PC.

But I it's going to be western targeted game that is going to be tied to the movie though.

alleluia

This is totally what I'm expecting too. It will be an action oriented spin off, targeted at western gamers as Capcom imagine them. remember Dmc?

Prepare for facing the rathalos with a machine gun while being aboard a military chopper.

It wouldn't necesseraly suck though. But it won't be MH like people have been used at. And yes, this is totally from my ass.

Duxxy3

We're just about due for another Revelations game.

And something happened with Deep Down. There was too much development put into that for it to just disappear.

sinonobu

Banned
alleluia

This is totally what I'm expecting too. It will be an action oriented spin off, targeted at western gamers as Capcom imagine them. remember Dmc?

Prepare for facing the rathalos with a machine gun while being aboard a military chopper.

It wouldn't necesseraly suck though. But it won't be MH like people have been used at. And yes, this is totally from my ass.

I think there's still going to traditional MH on handheld device, as that's one of the only franchise Capcom has that makes them money.

I think this would be handled by their Western Studio, too.

Jawmuncher

alleluia

Not gonna lie. I'd play the fuck out of that.

We're just about due for another Revelations game.

And something happened with Deep Down. There was too much development put into that for it to just disappear.

A new RE spinoff of some sort should definitely be announced at some point.

I think the RE engine is probably from the ashes of phanta rhei. Deep Down itself is probably on a back burner somewhere. Not entirely dead, but not a major focus outside a skeleton crew. Wouldn't be the first time such things have happened in the industry.

I wonder why they are no pushing esports with Umbrella corps too

After the sales and reception of Umbrella Corps there was no reason too. They tried at first, but there wasn't anyway to fix that release unless it got a huge overhaul like CSGO back in the day. If they want a esports shooter so badly, they're better off going back to the drawing board and putting actually dev and money into it. The fact that Umbrella Corps was a project for newcomers of capcom to get their feet wet at a budget and to see if unity was a viable engines speaks volumes on how seriously they really took it.

cheesekao

I don't think just tweaking the game a bit won't make the game successful.

But getting rid off the traditional MH would be suicidal move from Capcom as it's one of the only franchise that sells well constantly.

That's why I think there would be separate MH that will be Western targeted developed by Western Studio.
Adding a full fledged campaign isn't really "tweaking the game a bit" imo, even more so if it's an open world with a dynamic ecosystem.

BadWolf

Dunno, I kinda feel like Horizon ate some of MH's lunch when it comes to consoles and the west.

It's SP sure but it still very much feels like a hunting game but also at the same time offers a great open world, story etc.

While playing it I couldn't help but feel that Capcom was being left behind.

Not gonna lie. I'd play the fuck out of that.

Try MGS: Peace Walker for a taste of something like that.

Jawmuncher

Dunno, I kinda feel like Horizon ate some of MH's lunch when it comes to consoles and the west.

It's SP sure but it still very much feels like a hunting game but also at the same time offers a great open world, story etc.

While playing it I couldn't help but feel that Capcom was being left behind.

Try MGS: Peace Walker for a taste of something like that.

Forgot all about that until you reminded me. That shit was amazing. Still so cool to see, especially the Rex monster.

sinonobu

Banned
Adding a full fledged campaign isn't really "tweaking the game a bit" imo, even more so if it's an open world with a dynamic ecosystem.

I think the game will be more action oriented like Horizon, and put heavy emphasis on Single Player and make MP more like an additional option like Dark Souls.

Setting can also change to modern days to fit with Hollywood movie.

ReaperXL7

Dino Crisis

It never ceases to amaze me what Gaf thinks are "Major" titles.

I like Dino Crisis but I don't think Capcom would list it as a major title, or anyone but big fans for that matter.

My first guess would be DMC, but I'm not sure how well the Ninja Theory game did. If they speaking specifically to the Japanese market then Monster Hunter could be a contender as well.

Top Bottom