• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom secret Wii project still coming (It wasn't Spyborgs)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
While I admit its unlikely, its a possibility that the "surprising take" could have something to do with game location or plot, i.e Dead Rising in a different location or a different aim, etc.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
farnham said:
RE5 wii edition makes sense judging on RE 4 wii edition, RE UC sales

What a waste though. Exclusive side story or a RE 2 restoration would be better

Ramenman

There's really NO way to contain gaf's expectations.

Say it's a Wii game, people hope that it will be a 2D HD game.

Say it's a "next gen favorite", people hope it's Phoenix Wright.

Might as well just say "oh hai i got dis game here it's top secret" since any indication will be ignored.

Ramenman said:

I know I'm not helping, but a console Ace Attorney that took full advantage of the Wii-remote with good voice-acting and such would be awesome.

Ramenman

IAmtheFMan said:
I know I'm not helping, but a console Ace Attorney that took full advantage of the Wii-remote with good voice-acting and such would be awesome.

I absolutely agree with you, and that's something I'd like to see, as I've always thought that the AA games were something that would be awesome to play with a bunch of friends (even friends that don't play games, as you only need a brain and a stylus to play this game), using group think to go through the game and not being alone to go mad at the plot twists.
Dunno if I'd want voice acting after having seen the characters mute for so long though :p

Anyway that clearly doesn't fit what's hinted at here, which was the point of my post.

There was an interview with Hiroyuki Kobayashi on DMC4 over a year ago. He was asked a question about DMC on Wii and he responded that there "has been many requests for such a game by the fans" and that there were internal discussions. He finished saying that a DMC on Wii is a possibility.

When it comes to producer talk, "this may be a possibility" means they've already been working on it for the past 2 years.

Hideaki Itsuno, the director of DMC3/DMC4 (about a year ago) also stated that there were talks of and that he personally wanted to do a Vergil spin-off game. Hm, who knows.

A dead rising wouldn't work on the Wii without changing the basis of what DR is. RE could work, DMC could work, and LP could work.

And looking at gameplay structures, it's likely going to be a Lost Planet spin-off....unfortunately.

Haunted

schuelma said:
While I admit its unlikely, its a possibility that the "surprising take" could have something to do with game location or plot, i.e Dead Rising in a different location or a different aim, etc.
"surprising take" = spin-off

Which is not bad per se, except it implies that the game is not as important/high budget/high priority as main entries in that series. :(

IAmtheFMan said:
Harvey Birdman is great fun, check it out.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Hcoregamer00 said:
QFT, I would buy this game (and a Wii in a heartbeat)

Absolutely, though from the description provided I doubt that's what it is.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ramenman said:
There's really NO way to contain gaf's expectations.

Say it's a Wii game, people hope that it will be a 2D HD game.

Might as well just say "oh hai i got dis game here it's top secret" since any indication will be ignored.
Well, if you call the DS next gen, then Phoenix Wright would be a next gen favorite...

Drkirby said:
Well, if you call the DS next gen, then Phoenix Wright would be a next gen favorite...
The team is not that big. They can't do Gyakuten Kenji along with a new console game. They went through a lot of effort to bring the fanbase to the DS and now they have a few new assets that they will no doubt reuse through the new few games until the next handheld releases. Hell, you're talking about a team that has been using the same Judge sprite since 2001. They're not going to suddenly make a console game.

Really, at this point, all we can do is wonder what kind of shitty spin-off it will be.

Rail shooter?

Racer?

Dead Rising Soccer?

So here are all of Capcom's published and announced games so far this generation according to IGN. List only contains new or remakes, not re-releases on download services:

PlayStation 3
1942: Joint Strike
Bionic Commando
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Capcom N.A. Team Project [untitled]
Capcom PS3 Action Project [untitled]
Dark Void
Devil May Cry 4
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition (is this Colonies or just the original?)
Monster Hunter 3
Moto GP 08
Plunder
Resident Evil 5
Rocketmen: Axis of Evil
Rocketmen: It Came From Uranus
Street Fighter IV
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Talisman
Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3

Wii
Capcom Inafune Project [untitled]
Devil Kings 2 Heroes
Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law
Monster Hunter 3
Neopets Puzzle Adventure
Okami
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition
Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles
Spyborgs
We Love Golf!
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

Xbox 360
1942: Joint Strike
Bionic Commando
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Capcom N.A. Team Project [untitled]
Dark Void
Dead Rising
Devil May Cry 4
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition -- Colonies Edition
Moto GP 08
Plunder
Resident Evil 5
Rocketmen: Axis of Evil
Rocketmen: It Came From Uranus
Street Fighter IV
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix
Talisman
Wolf of the Battlefield: Commando 3

My bet goes to one of the following:

1. Street Fighter IV with sprites pre-rendered from the PS3/360 versions and 3-D backgrounds. Basing this on the interview where the code was revealed as totally scaleable. I would expect a PS2 version hand-in-hand with a Wii one.

2. Resident Evil 5 side-story/prequel on the RE4 Wii engine. Basing this on the rumored Inafune Wii title... Wikipedia has him pegged as Executive Producer of RE4 for PS2 and also RE5. In addition, both RE games released on Wii so far (4 and UC) have sold in excess of 1 million units IIRC.

3. Bionic Commando title, though it doesn't seem to me that Bionic Commando could be considered a next-gen favorite at this point.

Edit 4. Perhaps Mega Man. A "favorite" because people want to see it, and if Inafune has a Wii title in the works this is a possibility.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
RE5: Wii Edition probably, those two million+ selling RE games gotta be speaking lots to the executives.

Still MM9 would be cool.

Flakster99

I hope it is a refined Z&W 2.
Or a remake of RE2/3 using the RE4 engine.
Or heaven forbid, a man can dream, RE5 Wii Edition. Pointer controls, or PC, or Bust.

thebagofsand said:
Devil May Cry Zero where you play as kid Dante. Has cute and colorful enemies, every one looks like a chibi.
Wasn't this the exact concept behind Chibiru May Cry, the never-past-the-planning stage DS game?

Olaeh

At this point, I'll take anything as long as its not on rails. My guess is either-

Resident Evil 5 (port or spin off)
Street Fighter IV (we all know this is coming to Wii/PS2)

I don't suspect anything surprising. Though Megaman would be nice. I wouldn't mind Rival Schools either.
edit-- What if it was just a console port of Tatsunoko vs Capcom? disappointment?

man, if this is a lost planet spin off, then i completely called this and the mega man announcement. ive always wanted to play lost planet on the wii anyway.

RE or dead rising might be a "better" anouncement though(even though i dont really like DR)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
flipping_heck said:
RE5: *insert new girl's* story/path

basically like Ada's path in RE4, but exclusive for the Wii, and it will release alongside RE5 :D

Dude Capcom could suddenly redeem themselves* in one fell swoop if they did this, it'd be like RE4 PS2 debacle but in Nintendo's favor this time. I wouldn't mind waiting an extra five months for it either.

*In Nintendo's eyes.
No Megaman in Brawl. :'(

Hcoregamer00 said:
Please be a remake of RE2

Yes....

Bluemercury said:
This, using the RE4 engine.....

.....No...fuck you....

Leatherface said:

and you...

Hcoregamer00 said:
QFT, I would buy this game (and a Wii in a heartbeat)

and you...

schuelma said:
Absolutely, though from the description provided I doubt that's what it is.

you too...

The only way RE2 should be remaked is using the REmake/RE0 engine and the classic RE gameplay, with even more detailed backgrounds and characters....

Keep away the RE4 engine and gameplay from my precious RE2!!!!!

Relaxed Muscle said:
The only way RE2 should be remaked is using the REmake/RE0 engine and the classic RE gameplay, with even more detailed backgrounds and characters....

Sorry dude, maybe you loved it in '97, but that shit belongs in a museum. RE4 Wii is the future.

The words "a new take on a next gen favorite" seem to imply that it will be a follow up to a Capcom game that's already been released this generation. Resident Evil 5 may turn out great, but it isn't a favorite yet, considering that it hasn't really been played by anyone outside of Capcom. My best guess is Dead Rising, taking the stipulations into account.

KevinCow

Banned
Relaxed Muscle said:

Keep away the RE4 engine and gameplay from my precious RE2!!!!!
Why would you prefer a shitty camera and obscenely clunky controls?

bigmakstudios said:
The words "a new take on a next gen favorite" seem to imply that it will be a follow up to a Capcom game that's already been released this generation. Resident Evil 5 may turn out great, but it isn't a favorite yet, considering that it hasn't really been played by anyone outside of Capcom. My best guess is Dead Rising, taking the stipulations into account.

That's how I interpret it too but I just can't imagine what spin you could place on either of those games that would make it A) work well on Wii and B) make it something worth keeping "top secret".

I'm starting to lean towards that it's just a poor choice of words and this is one of their traditional franchises reworked for Wii.

Infact, the more I think about it I think that this is going to be something DMC/RE or Bionic Commando related. Only those would be worthy of holding close to Capcom's chest.

Although i would enjoy a re2 remake with the re4 engine...if the gave it the re4 treatment(gameplay), then it wouldnt really be scary anymore, because re4 was rarely scare(it had its moments). It was just really tense.

If im going to play a remake of re2, then i would prefer to have it like REmake...i feel it would capture re2 alot better than re4 ever could. A re4 style remake would be just as good, but not as scary.

ShockingAlberto said:
Wasn't this the exact concept behind Chibiru May Cry, the never-past-the-planning stage DS game?

Im sure this rumor was based on a misappropriated scan of the vj psp game showing unlockable dmc characters.

Dragona Akehi said:
I wonder if DMC PSP ever had gotten to the point of creating assets...?

Totally forgot about that. Are we sure that it ever really existed? I doubt that they would recycle the same assets but the scenario on the other hand...

Top Bottom