• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom sure is having a rough E3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

img_2452d2ubo.jpg

You'd think with having two fan favorites return, that they'd be having one hell of an E3. But a lot of the comments from users here and elsewhere seems to be mainly negative.

First you have Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite which at the moment is struggling with its presentation to the general audience. You hop on Facebook, Twitter, or even here and the game is just getting ripped to shreds. Regardless of the gameplay shown. Then the mocking excelled one DBZF (Example: https://twitter.com/tsukento/status/875198743150297088) was shown more in depth. A game that is managing to both please fans with its presentation and gameplay mechanics. It almost feels like MVC:I is going through another SFV fiasco. While it might not turn out that bad by release (The Story Demo build and E3 VS builds are different). They definitely have a lot of work to turn around a good chunk of the perception the game has. This doesn't even get into the rumored leaked roster, which is another can of worms in itself if it turns out true.

Then of course there Monster Hunter World and the future of the series on switch in the west. While there's a good chunk of people disappointed with the changes to MHW, it seems for the most part people have accepted what it's trying to do. However Capcom dropped the ball when talking about MH:XX on switch. By saying it wasn't coming to change into "We haven't said anything yet", is a bad look for the company. Especially when people are unsure just why it's happening. Is it because Capcom has a deal with someone to not do it? Do they not want to get consumers confused for what will in essence be a reboot of the series in the west marketing wise?

I think a big issue is stemming from capcoms lack of communication with its fans and how the Capcom fanbase knows they're capable of better. A lot of people seem to hold onto the golden age of Capcom for good reason. Even if it's been quite awhile since that sort of continuous input. Though once in awhile we thankfully see some returning to form here and there. I personally wish Capcom was having a better E3 than they currently all. They're my favorite game developer, so to see them in such a low and negative stage is saddening (even if I'm having some fun with the memes). Even if some parts of it are deserved.

Do you think the current backlash on both of these franchises is currently justified?

Velcro Fly

MvCI looks ugly as hell though. I saw a bunch of twitter memes about how bad Dante and Chun Li look in that game.

Can't really comment on Monster Hunter. Not a fan of the series.

killroy87

Monster Hunter looks awesome. Marvel does indeed look weak though. I don't know if it's a budget thing or what, but that game just looks cheap. That, plus changing to 2v2, plus a really sanitized art style, plus a cast thats relegated almost entirely to the cinematic universe, it's just not how people envisioned the franchise to return.

Kyuur

Monster Hunter is easily one of the biggest and most talked about announcements of the show. That's great for them.

MattAces

Oh shit we are supposed to be disappointed with MH World? Wasn't following the thread but I will take any new MH, especially a damn good looking one.

Lunar15

Monster Hunter World seems pretty great.

Are there people who are upset? Sure. But there's people who are upset about Metroid: Samus Returns despite that game being one of the biggest positive surprises of the show.

MvC though... woof. The reveal of DBZ:F just kinda cements how lame of a game it is.

pizzacat

Banned
Capcom will never learn and now they want their money tree (MH) to turn into something it's not

That's a good explanation of everything capcom has been making for at least a decade already

Let's make something and turn it into something it's not and then ponder why we failed

Deadstar

MvCI looks ugly as hell though. I saw a bunch of twitter memes about how bad Dante and Chun Li look in that game.

Can't really comment on Monster Hunter. Not a fan of the series.

Characters could look better for sure but no X-Men kill it for me. They shouldn't have even bothered until they can secure the X-Men rights. Alternatively, I'd prefer that someone just made an X-Men fighting game. Maybe 2 v 2 (Like MK9) with four player multiplayer.

LiK

MHW was relatively positive except when some hardcore MH fans were skeptical about changes but most of that has been clarified by the CM.

MvC:I looks worse and worse especially after DBFZ debuted and the Story trailer at Sony presser looked god awful. The demo itself doesn't help either.

Rellik

Never played a Monster Hunt game because of the systems they're on, but they have my interest with this one. That's 1 new customer they didn't have before. I doubt I'm the only one.

Ninjimbo

Both games look suspect to me but I'm not a fan of either series so I don't know. I like Capcom so I don't want to see them get dogpiled. The internet bullying needs to stop.

You make shit product and get called out for it seems fair. MvCI looks horrible compared to it's competition. If dbZ and injustice is a 59.99 game then mvc should retail for 19.99.

jackal27

Banned
?

Reactions about MH World are very good all around
Mixed at best based on what I've seen. I think it depends on where you look.

You've got people mad about MHXX (and there are a lot), people who don't want to only be limited to Monster Hunter on a console (me), people who don't like the changes to the series' formula, and just straight-up vocal Nintendo fanboys who see this as a betrayal. Not to mention those who are skeptical because of the leaks, no matter how accurate they may or may not be.

Sephzilla

Monster Hunter World seemed to get a pretty warm reception from what I gathered. Marvel vs Capcom Infinite, however, got its lunch money stolen and then got shoved in a locker by DragonBall FighterZ.

You forgot how people are also roasting Capcom for Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 not coming to the Switch (at least currently). People are pretty peeved at them for that too.

Mesoian

Marvel being as ugly as it is currently is unacceptable. If it ships looking the way it does now, Capcom will have fucked up.

I'm glad, however, that the game itself seems fun to play. The fighting engine seems to be in tact and is a fun piece of kit.

The only thing I've heard about MHW is based in confusion or has been generally positive (or is whining about XX not coming over).

Then of course there Monster Hunter World and the future of the series on switch in the west. While there's a good chunk of people disappointed with the changes to MHW, it seems for the most part people have accepted what it's trying to do. However Capcom dropped the ball when talking about MH:XX on switch. By saying it wasn't coming to change into "We haven't said anything yet", is a bad look for the company. Especially when people are unsure just why it's happening. Is it because Capcom has a deal with someone to not do it? Do they not want to get consumers confused for what will in essence be a reboot of the series in the west marketing wise?

I can understand people being disappointed about MH:XX not being on Switch, but what changes were made to MHW? Do they make the gameplay worse or something? I haven't paid too much attention, honestly.

Sanctuary

I think a big issue is stemming from capcoms lack of communication with its fans and how the Capcom fanbase knows they're capable of better. A lot of people seem to hold onto the golden age of Capcom for good reason.

I don't really know what you're expecting. The "golden age" of Capcom has been dead for quite a long time now. Dragon's Dogma was probably their last big, original "hurrah" and it didn't really sell as well as projected. Anyway, I knew nothing about MHW until E3, and as someone who can't stand playing on handhelds, I am very much looking forward to it. I enjoyed MH3 Ultimate, despite it being a remaster quite a bit.

As far as MvC goes, I don't know what the fuck happened to their artists, but the game looks terrible aesthetically.

That's the frustrating thing about Capcom to me, is even when they manage to do something good, they find another way to screw it up. Monster Hunter World actually looks cool, but not localizing XX is inexplicable. I've said plenty about MVC Infinite.

I just can't help but wonder where Resident Evil 2 Remake and Devil May Cry 5 (if that's real) are. TGS? PSX? I feel like we've gone into every PS-related conference for the past couple years praying for the latter to show up. That Dante/Rocket bit at the end of MVCI's trailer was such a cocktease.

MONSTER hunter world is going to be amazing. Long time fan here, started on PsP. Anyone saying it's not "true mh" are just wrong. They need to be shut up by capcom on the 20th

nubbe

Don't know enough about MH:W to make any judgment yet.
Looking forward to the live stream.

Problematic that Capcom don't think MH:W and XX can coexist.

BadWolf

MHW is looking great in my book.

MVCI is getting hate but it was obvious that would happen, people have been down on it for a while now.

I've never been into Monster Hunter but that new game has me wanting to play it. Dunno what people are upset about with that, it looks amazing.

Qurupeke

Monster Hunter World has no place in this. There is some skepticism, it's a major change after all, but the reactions are positive from my understanding.

Never liked Marvel, so I can't say I care about it. Looks pretty cheap, though.

Monster Hunter World has my interest, though. Really hoping it's good.
Sucks about the XX situation, but it's pretty much been par for the course for years now. I can't say I expected it to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom