• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom: "We're targeting 30fps"; working with MS to improve Dead Rising 3

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Killer instinct doesnt look that impressive, just has alot of particles And aside from bullshots neither does ryse.
Ryse is actually extremely impressive looking in person. It's quite detailed and features all of the typical Cryengine features in full effect.

Killer Instinct isn't particularly impressive, but it's reasonably attractive and runs well. That said, one of the stages I played used a completely flat bitmap background with a few 3D trees scattered about.

MoneyHats

Banned
The Dead Rising games are not massive budget titles so perhaps the dev team working on it is quite small.

However it's a bit of a PR disaster to say they are targeting something like 30fps. But I'm sure the end game won't be a 'slideshow' though...

Why is it a PR disaster when Drive Club, which being a racing game should be hitting 60fps is also hitting 30? in fact it should be the standard for all Racing, Fighting and Fps, yet its ok because Drive Club has a night mode? What about the screens loaded with a gazillion zombies and open world style levels? And to some ridiculous comments, if 30fps is such a slideshow, then how come it hasn't been brought up in such a way before with other next Gen games hitting 30, there's quite a few.

I personally love what they're doing with Dead Rising 3, based on all the videos I've seen their real target is FUN combined with the size and scope that would be impossible on current gen

dark10x

Why is it a PR disaster when Drive Club, which being a racing game should be hitting 60fps, in fact it should be the standard for all Racing, Fighting and Fps, yet its ok because Drive Club has a night mode?
Very different situations.

Drive Club should be 60 fps, but even at 30, the framerate is rock solid. It's very playable even if not what it should be. If they hit 60 fps it will go from playable to optimal.

Dead Rising 3, in its current form, is basically unplayable. It's the kind of framerate you'd expect to find in a Rare produced N64 title.

I personally love what they're doing with Dead Rising 3, based on all the videos I've seen their real target is FUN combined with the size and scope that would be impossible on current gen
I agree, it looks to be a lot of fun...but it's just not at a playable state right now. If released in a state even remotely similar to this right now the potential would be squandered.

Tmecha

Neo Member
Forza 5 = 1080p 60fps
Killer Instinct = 1080p 60fps
Ryse = arguably the best looking launch game from either console

Of course lets ignore all this and pretend that a stuttering framerate on an unfinished game is proof that the Xbox One blows big time.

I'm really getting sick of this kind of shit on this forum, i'm someone who buys BOTH Xbox and Playstation consoles (best of both worlds) yet this shit does my head in, fuck knows how hardcore Xbox fanboys put up with this place at times.

well said

I'm hyped for this game looks like fun, thats all I care about

Dusky

People are saying Forza 5 and Ryse look bad? Okay lol.

You may dislike the way Ryse's combat looks but it definitely has it's visuals going for it.

Some people...

KidBeta

People are saying Forza 5 and Ryse look bad? Okay lol.

You may dislike the way Ryse's combat looks but it definitely has it's visuals going for it.

Some people...

The single player for Ryse looks great but some of the multiplayer looks like its straight from the PS2 era. (mainly the water).

RetroStu

Banned
The single player for Ryse looks great but some of the multiplayer looks like its straight from the PS2 era. (mainly the water).

ONLY the water you mean The water looks like shit but it did on Crysis 3 on PC maxed out.
I find it funny that a certain section of gamers keeping making gifs of that water bit, its the only part of the game that they can pick at.

Ryuuga

Banned
We're reaching the tail end of the thread now since we've all reached the same sort of conclusion that the devs have, DR3 runs poorly and they're taking steps to achieve the bare minimum in performance (something quite odd to admit) but more power to them if they lock it down. Now it's involved into a console warriors bickerfest about unrelated games.

dark10x

Like hell it does.

DR3 runs poorly and they're taking steps to achieve the bare minimum in performance (something quite odd to admit) but more power to them if they lock it down.
How could they NOT admit it? I mean, when you show off a demo with a framerate in the teens you can't exactly say "no comment" nor can you say "this is how it's going to be".

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
The only thing I took away is the sight of seeing engineers driving for 6 hours a day to get to Vancouver in order to polish DR3's frame rate. Sounds like a horrible time waste.

Ryuuga

Banned
Like hell it does.

Oh Dark, why did you respond to such obvious hyperbole?

How could they NOT admit it? I mean, when you show off a demo with a framerate in the teens you can't exactly say "no comment" nor can you say "this is how it's going to be".

I think you misunderstand me, I think throwing the targeted framerate in did more damage to their message overall than just saying they'd smooth things over in time for release.

Oh no, Dead Rising 1 ran at a mostly steady 30 fps. It was much smoother than anything from the Vancouver crew.

I'd have to disagree with that. Any time you stepped outside into the courtyard, the game took a drop and dropped further if you were riding a vehicle or being chased by the convicts. Wonderland Plaza was the worst. It felt like it dropped to low teens at some points.

dark10x

I'd have to disagree with that. Any time you stepped outside into the courtyard, the game took a drop and dropped further if you were riding a vehicle or being chased by the convicts. Wonderland Plaza was the worst. It felt like it dropped to low teens at some points.
Regardless, it's much much more consistent than DR2 ever was.

Oh, for sure. DR2 was a technical mess. Vancouver/Blue Castle just suck when it comes to making their games technically sound.

yep. hopefully MS can help get this where it needs to be framerate wise. I find it very encouraging that they're getting help and I have my fingers crossed very tightly.

Suck is probably a bit harsh, but they're far from top tier. So many games that look better than Dead Rising 2 run substantially better on my PC, and obviously DR2 took a big framerate drop over DR1.

Oh, for sure. DR2 was a technical mess. Vancouver/Blue Castle just suck when it comes to making their games technically sound.

You know that Dead Rising is probably the hardest game to make in the entire industry. Cut them some slack.

Suck is probably a bit harsh, but they're far from top tier. So many games that look better than Dead Rising 2 run substantially better on my PC, and obviously DR2 took a big framerate drop over DR1.

How many of those games render thousands of very high poly zombies on screen? People go batshit crazy when a game with 2 characters on screen like Mortal Kombat can get 60fps but when a game with thousands upon thousands tries to hit 30 it is a cataclysm.

If you say so Marty. Their track record and the distance from their target suggests they won't make it. I'd place money on that. It won't hit a stable 30 fps by launch.

I'm not saying they will or will not make it. I'm saying nobody here can quantify how hard or how easy it will be for them to get it to fit within a 33ms frame time. Nobody here can even tell us what the average frame time, or the worse case frame time either. Nobody here can tell us where the frame time is going to either. So any speculation on what can and can't be done in optimization or how far or close it is to hitting 33ms is making wild guesses that have very little or no merit.

KageMaru

You know that Dead Rising is probably the hardest game to make in the entire industry. Cut them some slack.

How many of those games render thousands of very high poly zombies on screen? People go batshit crazy when a game with 2 characters on screen like Mortal Kombat can get 60fps but when a game with thousands upon thousands tries to hit 30 it is a cataclysm.

Yup, was going to touch on this as well but the dev bashing has been rather strong in this thread.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I was kind of expecting this since E3 and on one of the Giant Bomb podcasts they were talking about the frame rate even then and how the devs said they were working close with MS to try and make improvements..

I'm not sure if they can do it in time, but I absolutely had a blast with DR2 despite the frame rate absolutely tanking at times.

Still have no clue why the cutscene with the motorcycle boss in 2 was the worst offender where it seemed like the framerate dropped into the single digits.

Top Bottom