• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcpom strikes again: Mega Man 7 PS4 (from MMLC2) contains "Licenced by Nintendo"

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I got it digital on Xbone this morning and started with 7 and it just boots straight to the title screen, no intro screens.

Try this (replace Options with the Xbone's Start button):

What I did was wait until past the title menu, let the intro play, press Options on the title screen, and then the copyrights showed up.

Keep in mind the "LICENCED" was in the SNES original version, so all the spelling errors are still there. It's more the "NINTENDO" name I'm honestly shocked to see intact.

And at least this version still has the ending intact in all its MODE 7 glory, unlike Anniversary Collection.

Nope, licence is a noun so even British Capcom should have incorrectly attribute the licence to Nintendo by writing "licensed by Nintendo".
What are you two talking about? Licence is just an alternate spelling of license. Licenced is the same. An alternate spelling.

What are you two talking about? Licence is just an alternate spelling of license. Licenced is the same. An alternate spelling.
Zakujanai is correct. "Licence" is the spelling of just the noun in British English. A licence you can have or give. If you use it as a verb, like in the case of "licensed by", you spell it with an S.

Piracy has in fact been officially leveraged for many, many re-releases of games. Quite often you'd find references to a crack scene group when viewing an executable in a hex editor for a re-release of a PC game, signifying that the devs merely applied a NoCD patch for the re-released game.

And then there's that whole thing with the header for the VC release of Super Mario Bros.

Remind me about that last one again. Is it header, as in, the "iNES header" that describes cartridge configuration which they replaced with a custom thing on 3DS at least, or something in the actual ROM image like a cracktro or compatibility hack, or something else entirely? Reusing the container format makes perfect sense to me. Cracker signature things would be funnier.

M3d10n

Because having your name (Nintendo) in a game that's in competitor's platform is a big no-no because it's advertising/mentioning your name in a competitor product and can cause legal issues. That's like seeing Chicken McNuggets in the menu in KFC.

I'm pretty sure its also against Sony's content requirements, much like how Apple prohibits iOS apps from mentioning Android.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Because having your name (Nintendo) in a game that's in competitor's platform is a big no-no because it's advertising/mentioning your name in a competitor product and can cause legal issues. That's like seeing Chicken McNuggets in the menu in KFC.

Also, because the little fact that the product in question is no longer Licensed by Nintendo on the platform is running at. :p

It's pretty impressive how low their quality control is for these types of minor issues... You really don't see it with many other companies, just Capcom.

Hey, there's no such thing as bad publicity, right?

IronLich

Just booted it up this morning.

You can just sit at the title menu for a few seconds, press Options the second you see the intro start playing, and the screen is still there. You don't even have to wait for the intro to finish.

So it's even more easier to catch, and they just... didn't bother scrubbing the text, I guess.

zakujanai

Is English your first language? As I understand it, American English does not follow these rules and the spelling of licence is always with an s. For English however the rules are as I described, hence it is never correct in the form I was discussing.

Licence and license is the same as practice and practise.

A doctor practises medicine in a medical practice.

You must need a licence to drive. The DVLA must license you to drive.

Source: I am English.

phanphare

Banned
it seems like every publisher gets a year to be just totally and hilariously shit

first it was EA, then Ubi, then Konami

now it's Capcom's turn and boy are they milking their moment to shine

AAMARMO

Banned
It's also in the Xbox One version.

EZA Playing the XB1 version.
eIjdIrD.jpg

when i think of Capcom these days im reminded of this 50cent quote:

"daaaaaamn, homie
Back in Highschool you was the maaaaaaaan, homie,
The fuck happened to you?"

it seems like every publisher gets a year to be just totally and hilariously shit

Konami and Capcom look like they're going to be hilariously shit for the rest of time

Ubisoft have had a pretty great turnaround actually, never really thought of that.

ZeoVGM

Banned

Except they litetally just put out Resident Evil 7 this year. Plenty of other years that would make more sense for Capcom.

IronLich

There is a v1.02 patch on PS4 today. And sadly, that LICENCED BY NINTENDO message is no longer with us now.

RIP :(

Top Bottom