• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcpom strikes again: Mega Man 7 PS4 (from MMLC2) contains "Licenced by Nintendo"

qko

Meeting between Nintendo and Capcom lawyers:
Nintendo: As compensation, our starting demand is you give us Mega Man and we'll call it even.
Capcom: Ok, we'll port the game...
Nintendo: No, we mean the franchise.
Capcom: Oh...

Jk, Nintendo will probably tell them to patch it out and that will be that.

Nanashrew

Banned
- Super Star Wars (SNES, PSN title)
- Mega Man 1 (NES, from Mega Man Legacy Collection)
- Mega Man 2 (NES, from Mega Man Legacy Collection)
- Mega Man 3 (NES, from Mega Man Legacy Collection)
- Mega Man 4 (NES, from Mega Man Legacy Collection)
- Mega Man 5 (NES, from Mega Man Legacy Collection)
- Mega Man 6 (NES, from Mega Man Legacy Collection)
- Mega Man 7 (SNES. from Mega Man Legacy Collection 2)
- Ducktales (NES, from Disney Afternoon Collection)
- Ducktales 2 (NES, from Disney Afternoon Collection)
- Chip n' Dale (NES, from Disney Afternoon Collection)
- Chip n' Dale 2 (NES, from Disney Afternoon Collection)
- Talespin (NES, from Disney Afternoon Collection)
- Darkwing Duck (NES, from Disney Afternoon Collection)

You forgot the Wild Guns: Reloaded which is a remaster of the SNES game.

Atheerios

Sorry for my ignorance but what's the real problem behind that phrase? Is that something that Nintendo wouldn't allow or that Sony wouldn't allow? Why?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You forgot the Wild Guns: Reloaded which is a remaster of the SNES game.

Is it a remake, remaster (widescreen support, new UI, essentially the same graphics), or a straight port (borders, retained everything how it looks)? I'm only counting straight ports.

Sorry for my ignorance but what's the real problem behind that phrase? Is that something that Nintendo wouldn't allow or that Sony wouldn't allow? Why?
Nintendos big on keeping their name out of the competitions platforms. Capcom is probably in some trouble.

massoluk

Banned
Of course Nintendo wouldn't allow. It's as if the software on PS4 somehow was released with Nintendo blessing, lol.
Not that big of a deal, probably just a patch and some phone call to apologise.

Scrawnton

This is so very ironic considering it's not coming to Switch and capcoms attitude with Nintendo lately.

So here are the possible scenarios that lead to this: Nintendo allowed the splash screen to stay there like that and for capcom to straight up use SNES roms (doubt it), or Sony and Capcom both have the worse QA and IDGAF attitude and just let anything pass through their channels. I'm gonna go with the second option.

Dizzy-4U

Reminds me of Bad Company :p
p60700045ds0k.jpg

RedBoot

Is it a remake, remaster (widescreen support, new UI, essentially the same graphics), or a straight port (borders, retained everything how it looks)? I'm only counting straight ports.

Wild Guns is a remake, even has new content, so I wouldn't really count it for that list.

Anyway, I doubt anything will come of this and it'll get patched, but thanks to the physical version it's nice to have another permanent record of Capcpom'ing. :)

I'm sure they will have to fix it on the second print run but any chance they will pull the current ones off the shelf?

Branson

- Mega Man 7 (SNES, from Mega Man Legacy Collection 2)

Disney Capcom Collection, Both Megaman Legacy Collections, and the Super Star Wars collection.

Well shit.

jett

D-Member
lol at Capcpom not bothering to edit their roms. They actually did bother for their Anniversary Collections on PS2.

IronLich

Keep in mind the "LICENCED" was in the SNES original version, so all the spelling errors are still there. It's more the "NINTENDO" name I'm honestly shocked to see intact.

And at least this version still has the ending intact in all its MODE 7 glory, unlike Anniversary Collection.

KingBroly

Banned

Capcpom is really bad at this

Epcott

😆 Ha, so true!

😡

Everyone's having a hearty chuckle and I'm sitting here like....yeah, so?

It's a Super Nintendo game. Doesn't seem strange or out of place to me. Certainly doesn't seem illegal.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
They edited out the Famicom and the Game Boy from the games, but left in the text? That's something.

To note, the MMLC1 was done by Digital Eclipse, MMLC2 (the one that has MM7) was done internally I believe.

Everyone's having a hearty chuckle and I'm sitting here like....yeah, so?

It's a Super Nintendo game. Doesn't seem strange or out of place to me. Certainly doesn't seem illegal.

Because having your name (Nintendo) in a game that's in competitor's platform is a big no-no because it's advertising/mentioning your name in a competitor product and can cause legal issues. That's like seeing Chicken McNuggets in the menu in KFC.

Gradon

So here are the possible scenarios that lead to this: Nintendo allowed the splash screen to stay there like that and for capcom to straight up use SNES roms (doubt it), or Sony and Capcom both have the worse QA and IDGAF attitude and just let anything pass through their channels. I'm gonna go with the second option.

This is more of a compliance issue than a QA issue; I'm guessing Capcom didn't fix it in time and Sony probably gave them the OK for their submission as long as it was patched out day 1 to prevent delays in production - hence why others have said they never received this screen. Whether Nintendo is okay with it is a different story altogether.

Top Bottom