• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captain Marvel Finds Directors in Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 out of 2 directors are women in MARVEL STUDIOS.

Because of course.

Half the internet is in full revolt b/c Marvel hired a man with a woman for their first female lead movie. This will go well.

I mean... They're an established duo. It's not like Marvel hired Anna Boden and then assigned Ryan Fleck on their own. I get that the optics aren't great at first blush, but If they wanted Anna Boden's take on the character, it's pretty likely that they wouldn't have gotten her without also bringing Ryan Fleck on board. He's her creative partner.

edit: FML top of the page.

Marvel movies seem to have become the cinema equivalent of Law and Order, when it comes to seemingly everybody having been in them or worked on them at some point

It kinda makes watching certain movies distracting..especially when you see four people in one damn movie. Kong comes to mind..

8e85675fcad44823057218511e56d4fa.jpg

Sure it does, you just have to choke on a mountain of salt first and then it all becomes clear

LOL..

mreddie

I mean... They're an established duo. It's not like Marvel hired Anna Boden and then assigned Ryan Fleck on their own. I get that the optics aren't great at first blush, but If they wanted Anna Boden's take on the character, it's pretty likely that they wouldn't have gotten her without also bringing Ryan Fleck on board. He's her creative partner.

edit: FML top of the page.

If it's a duo, makes sense. Well, the movie is written by women as well so that's a plus.

Neoxon

They've already confirmed Brie Larson as Captain Marvel. Presumably she shows up in Infinity War, or one of the sixty other MCU projects releasing in 2018.
I meant for everyone else in the movie. Obviously Brie Larson was already cast as Captain Marvel.

El Topo

Does a company that has made so many movies without a female director or a female lead really deserve the benefit of the doubt? If Patty Jenkins had done Thor 2 or Ava DuVernay had done Black Panther things would be different. I think the real issue are all the preceding movies though, not their choice for Captain Marvel.

Does a company that has made so many movies without a female director or a female lead really deserve the benefit of the doubt? If Patty Jenkins had done Thor 2 or Ava DuVernay had done Black Panther things would be different.

I'm not saying they deserve the benefit of the doubt. I'm wondering what the problem actually is with Captain Marvel, in the first place. A woman is directing the movie, and she chose to bring her longtime creative partner along with her. Would you prefer that Marvel insisted she wasn't allowed to work with who she wants?

El Topo

A woman is directing the movie, and she chose to bring her longtime creative partner along with her. Would you prefer that Marvel insisted she wasn't allowed to work with who she wants?

As I said, the issue is Marvel's poor track record, not their choice for Captain Marvel.

Frankly, while I am bummed it isn't a wholly female driven venture, Marvel did test a lot of female directors for the role: Rachel Talalay, Niki Caro, Lesli Linka Glatter, Lorene Scafaria and Rebecca Thomas, along with much more that mustn't have really panned out. It's been 7-8 months they've been searching and at this point, if they went with Fleck & Boden, there has to be a good reason for it especially considering how Feige had trumpeted this project as a female-driven one.

The Kree

Banned
As I said, the issue is Marvel's poor track record, not their choice for Captain Marvel.

The issue is Hollywood's poor track record. Over a hundred movies come out every year and the vast majority of the are spearheaded by men. This is a win on every level.

Kinyou

Does a company that has made so many movies without a female director or a female lead really deserve the benefit of the doubt? If Patty Jenkins had done Thor 2 or Ava DuVernay had done Black Panther things would be different. I think the real issue are all the preceding movies though, not their choice for Captain Marvel.
There's no benefit of the doubt. The directors are a duo, that's how it is.

The DGA is kind of wack about the rules regarding multiple directors as well -- it's a pain in the ass for a director team to get officially credited by the DGA, so I imagine they aren't trying to split up if they can help it.

https://www.fandango.com/movie-news...nd-anna-boden-to-direct-captain-marvel-752187

So what was it about the Half Nelson and Mississippi Grind directors that sold Feige and his team on choosing them to helm Marvel's first live-action female-driven superhero movie?

"We met with lots and lots of people as we always do, and had multiple meetings, and Anna and Ryan just had an amazing way of talking about Carol Danvers and talking about her journey," Feige said. "We want filmmakers that can help us focus on and elevate the character journey so it doesn't get lost amongst the spectacle. And there's going to be a lot of spectacle in the Captain Marvel film."

Feige continued, "We're pretty good at that at Marvel Studios, and have an amazing team that can help with that. But when we're filling a director chair or chairs, we want people who are focused on the emotional journey, the humor, the surprising twists and turns of a singular character journey, which is what Captain Marvel is. They had the best handle on it. And when you look at the work that Ryan and Anna have done in the past, they are all amazing and very diverse character studies and journeys, and that impressed us."

Pretty boilerplate answer if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom