• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captive mother bear kills cub, then self?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to search for this, no luck. Lock if old.

This blew my mind:

Mother Bear Kills Cub and Itself to Escape ‘Crush Cage’ Torture for ‘Bear Bile’

The Chinese media has reported on an extraordinary account of a mother bear saving her cub from a life of torture by strangling it and then killing itself. The bears were kept in a farm located in a remote area in the North-West of China. The bears on the farm had their gall bladders milked daily for ‘bear bile,’ which is used as a remedy in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM).

It was reported that the bears are kept in tiny cages known as ‘crush cages’, as the bears have no room to manoeuvre and are literally crushed. The bile is harvested by making a permanent hole or fistula in the bears’ abdomen and gall bladder.

As the hole is never closed, the animals are suspect to various infections and diseases including tumours, cancers and death from peritonitis. The bears are fitted with an iron vest, as they often try to kill themselves by hitting their stomach as they are unable to bear the pain.A person who was on the farm in place of a friend witnessed the procedures and told Reminbao.com that they were inhumane.

The witness also claimed that a mother bear broke out its cage when it heard its cub howl in fear before a worker punctured its stomach to milk the bile.

http://www.disinfo.com/2011/08/moth...f-to-escape-crush-cage-torture-for-bear-bile/

Wow. If bears are getting sick of this sh*t, how much longer do we have?

shuri

Banned
This is awful, I had no idea this was happening.. God damnit CHINA! Stop hurting bears! This is sad, that Jackie CHan PSA is great, i'm spreading it around on facebook. I really had no idea this was happening at all

GavinGT

Banned
The bears are fitted with an iron vest, as they often try to kill themselves by hitting their stomach as they are unable to bear the pain.

I came for the puns but the article already took care of that.

Jangaroo said:
I seriously have to wonder if these things actually work.

....really? You have to seriously wonder?

This is beyond fucked.

Although I'm not sure if I believe the story.

But it made me aware of this practice, and other people too I'm sure, so I guess that's good.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Misanthropy said:
Hi guys. Nice to see many people coming over to my side.

I would say the majority feel this way, but we rather pretend sick shit like this isn't happening to animals.

After hearing the cries of cows as they're being stunned and killed scarred me for life. Inhumane as all hell.

likeGdid

That's seriously awful. Bears are supposed to wear ill-fitting clothes for our amusement or swiping picnic baskets.

Not this kind of stuff :(
Thanks traditional chinese "medicine."

SRG01

Zen said:
Also known as baseless superstitious bullshit that causes pain and suffering.

Some parts of Chinese medicine are quite valid (ie. ginseng, etc) but other parts are straight-out superstition. Same goes for western herbology.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Fuck Chinese medicine, when will they get out of their widespread, ridiculous superstitious funk and join the rest of the G8+5.

And we owe them trillions.

They do fucked up shit with Sharks too catching them, clipping the fins off and throwing them back into the water basically giving them a slow death.

LQX

Eerie story but I don't buy it, especially the fact the Bear them killed itself. A lot of Chinese stories just come off so made up that its hard to believe anything out of the norm they report.

Poona

shuri said:
This is awful, I had no idea this was happening.. God damnit CHINA! Stop hurting bears! This is sad, that Jackie CHan PSA is great, i'm spreading it around on facebook. I really had no idea this was happening at all

First heard of it? Oh well.. I guess better late that never, but I thought it was pretty well known along with tiger penis, bear paw, rhino horn, etc. So sad some of the stuff China partakes in. It needs to be shut down.

bangai-o said:
strangled the cub, but how did she kill herself?

http://news.asiaone.com/News/Latest+News/Asia/Story/A1Story20110805-292947.html

The witness also claimed that a mother bear broke out its cage when it heard its cub howl in fear before a worker punctured its stomach to milk the bile.

The workers ran away in fear when they saw the mother bear rushing to its cub's side.

Unable to free the cub from its restraints, the mother hugged the cub and eventually strangled it.

It then dropped the cub and ran head-first into a wall, killing itself.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
GavinGT said:
....really? You have to seriously wonder?
Not the bile part, but I remember reading that certain Chinese medicine stuff actually works. Of course most of em are all superstitious dribble.

Atrus

Gold Member
I've never really known an animal to intentionally commit suicide in this way. I've seen animals suicide in an attempt to escape but... not to save themselves from suffering.

On one level it would be interesting to find out if they really do that and which animals are capable of it.

As far as the bullshit of traditional Chinese medicine goes, it's all down to empirical results. Even if we realize something works we realize it's down to certain compounds and are better able to synthetically create it so we don't need to harvest the damn rain forest to make them.

All of this animal poaching and torture bullshit needs to end. Just recently some bastard got caught by Canadian Border Services with hacked bear paws for the mainland Chinese market. The harshest punishments should be given for trade, support and possession of animal parts for "traditional medicine" with no mercy allowed in the sentencing.

You'd think that the Chinese government of all governments could have cracked down on it.

I'm in disbelief. This is one of the worst things I've ever read. The Chinese government is terrible for not doing something about this. What a joke..

notworksafe said:
Well it does work. Don't be automatically dismissive. However there are more humane ways to get this stuff than bear guts now.

Citation needed. Any articles proving the effectiveness of bear bile over placebo?

slider

I trained as a butcher when I was a lot younger and, fuck, pigs being slaughtered is the worst. They know when it's coming and if you don't get it right they squeal for shit. It's awful. :|

A guy running the "course" said pigs are like very smart dogs. Dunno how accurate that is but there you go.

Ugh, dunno why I felt like sharing that. Awful story in the OP.

bunbun777

The mother bear rushed to its cub and hugged it until it eventually strangled it before running head-first into a wall, killing itself.

So that's from the anonymous eye witness. How the bear actually got out of cage and why deterrents were not used (or were they?) is not answered.

Also TCM condemns the practice.

slider said:
I trained as a butcher when I was a lot younger and, fuck, pigs being slaughtered is the worst. They know when it's coming and if you don't get it right they squeal for shit. It's awful. :|

A guy running the "course" said pigs are like very smart dogs. Dunno how accurate that is but there you go.

Ugh, dunno why I felt like sharing that. Awful story in the OP.
It's true. Pigs are one of the smartest animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom