• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother bear KILLS CUB and THEN ITSELF

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira28

Um...I dunno. I mean...this could just be sensationalism from the anti-animal torture side to be fair. Willful suicide, I just don't know.

There are PETA like groups in China who have support both popularly and in some of their media. Mostly with the modern folks who hate superstitious traditional medicine practices. So..this could be Pravda like news angling. I am wondering anyway.

marrec

Banned
Meat processing, as long as the death is instant is a necessary evil. Humans can make up for it by providing them healthy, wide and caring growing environments before they are processed.

But I guess the same context can be applied to the bears and the bile really. Its not like the Chinese like to torture them, but the demand is there in their medicines. Though they should be pushed to find alternative materials or at least try to make it less painless for the bears. Give them anesthesia or something at least before draining them.

You know this is not the case in a lot of farms, especially for chickens. Dairy cows also have it pretty awful most the time, I know this from first hand experience.

It'd be nice if we could crush this part of the Chinese culture instead of trying to preserve it via treating the animals more humanely.

I think keeping a bear in a cage locked up and restrained while you milk its gallbladder through a hole in its body for something that serves no practical purpose is near the top of the list.

There is no comparison to near instant death for the purpose of eating. It's disingenuous and insulting to compare the two. The industrialization of meat products might be gross for other reasons but they are not being cruel to the animals for no reason whatsoever like this.

marrec

Banned
There is no comparison to near instant death for the purpose of eating. It's disingenuous and insulting to compare the two. The industrialization of meat products might be gross for other reasons but they are not being cruel to the animals for no reason whatsoever like this.

Right, they're just being cruel to the animals in order to maximize profits. A noble reason indeed.

FUCK.......

I remember watching a documentary a while ago about animals or the fur trade in China and it showed them keeping wolves/foxes in cages where they could barely move. They developed something called "cage frenzy" or something, where'd they'd go nuts from being trapped in a cage 24/7.

They showed them ripping the furs off of foxes while they were still fucking alive. I saw a fox without its fur coat, just laying on the ground with its whole skin showing, with its muscles, blood and all. The camera even zoomed in on its face, and it stared right into the camera. It looked so...sad.

I don't say this often, but that got me so emotionally upset, I started crying. I've never seen something so awful in my life.

GOD DAMN IT.

marrec

Banned
I consider it a better reason than selling snake oil to stupid peasants. In fact I find comparing the two quite suspicious.

I don't think the connection is as far fetched as you imagine. We keep animals in pens that they cannot turn around in, or in the case of 'free range' chickens we keep them in barns where 5% are trampled to death because there's not enough room. Blah blah, everyone knows all this.

We do this because people want Chicken Nuggets for 99 cents at McDonalds. It's not because we need this much chicken to stay alive, it's because we need to produce as much chicken as possible on as little land as possible with as little consideration to the chickens suffering as possible. Snake oil being harvested from bears my serve 0 purpose, but keeping the market so flush with chicken that it costs as little as 1.54 a pound serves very little more than 0.

Of course, I still eat chicken, and take advantage of the low low prices caused by the inhumane way we farm them but at least I recognize the hypocrisy in labeling something 'Okay' just because of capitalism.

zoukka

I consider it a better reason than selling snake oil to stupid peasants. In fact I find comparing the two quite suspicious.

Both reasons benefit the people doing the cruelty in expense of the animal.

Also some of you act like the life of a factory farmed animal is all happy and free until the instant death part.

Pein

Banned
shit like this just makes me wanna go vegan or something, I hate cruelty to animals and just makes me feel terrible. The shit humans do is disgusting.

FUCK.......

I remember watching a documentary a while ago about animals or the fur trade in China and it showed them keeping wolves/foxes in cages where they could barely move. They developed something called "cage frenzy" or something, where'd they'd go nuts from being trapped in a cage 24/7.

They showed them ripping the furs off of foxes while they were still fucking alive. I saw a fox without its fur coat, just laying on the ground with its whole skin showing, with its muscles, blood and all.

I don't say this often, but that got me so emotionally upset, I started crying. I've never seen so awful in my life.

GOD DAMN IT.

Oh man, that's awful, just reading it ruined my whole day, i can't imagine how you must feel having to see it. How can people treat creatures like that? :(

marrec

Banned
Oh man, that's awful, just reading it ruined my whole day, i can't imagine how you must feel having to see it. How can people treat creatures like that? :(

It's odd, I spent a large portion of some summers growing up working on my grand fathers farm where we would gas entire colonys of ground-hogs and doom them to a painful convulsing death. We'd shoot coyotes and (once they were quite dead) would skin them. I was pretty much a complete DICK to some forms of wildlife, but thinking about killing and skinning a fox kinda turns my stomach.

It's cause they're cute.

I've NEVER seen a cute coyote or groundhog.

BossLackey

Gold Member
The Chinese are seriously fucking stupid. Ignorant as fuck about their "magic" medicine bullshit and they do shit like this to countless other species for literally no reason other than their to support their ridiculous medicinal practices. I spit on them.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I'm going to create a militant vegan vigilante group along the lines of FF7's AVALANCHE and commit random acts of terror against animal abusers.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The Chinese are seriously fucking stupid. Ignorant as fuck about their "magic" medicine bullshit and they do shit like this to countless other species for literally no reason other than their to support their ridiculous medicinal practices. I spit on them.

Funny thing is that traditional Chinese medicine shops in Chinatown in NYC are more and more being frequented by white folks looking for alternative medical treatments.

It's odd, I spent a large portion of some summers growing up working on my grand fathers farm where we would gas entire colonys of ground-hogs and doom them to a painful convulsing death. We'd shoot coyotes and (once they were quite dead) would skin them. I was pretty much a complete DICK to some forms of wildlife, but thinking about killing and skinning a fox kinda turns my stomach.

It's cause they're cute.

I've NEVER seen a cute coyote or groundhog.

:O I didn't know that, man...come on, that's awful!

marrec

Banned
Funny thing is that traditional Chinese medicine shops in Chinatown in NYC are more and more being frequented by white folks looking for alternative medical treatments.

The secret about all of this is that it's not the Chinese who are backwards and dumb hicks, it's humanity who clings to these little bits of superstition as a whole. Chinese hogwash gets a lot of play because it's foreign and exotic compared to some of the more traditional America/Western hogwash.

To give you an example of how backwards and dumb America is, most major insurance companies will pay for your Chiropractic visit.

Fucking idiots.

:O I didn't know that, man...come on, that's awful!

I told you about the ground-hog thing. We also used to bomb colonies with Propane when we ran out of poison or it became more expensive than propane. If we didn't keep the ground-hogs in check they'd chew up all the ground under the cow's feet and cause them to break legs when they stepped in ground-hog holes. There were probably more humane ways of ridding the pasture of the pests, but for a poor paralyzed from the waist down farmer and WWII vet, treating a bunch of big rats humanely was the furthest thing from his mind.

The secret about all of this is that it's not the Chinese who are backwards and dumb hicks, it's humanity who clings to these little bits of superstition as a whole. Chinese hogwash gets a lot of play because it's foreign and exotic compared to some of the more traditional America/Western hogwash.

To give you an example of how backwards and dumb America is, most major insurance companies will pay for your Chiropractic visit.

Fucking idiots.

I can tell you from experience a chiropractor can't recognize aggressive, fast spreading cancer if their noses are shoved right in it.

Big-E

Fucking idiots.

I told you about the ground-hog thing. We also used to bomb colonies with Propane when we ran out of poison or it became more expensive than propane. If we didn't keep the ground-hogs in check they'd chew up all the ground under the cow's feet and cause them to break legs when they stepped in ground-hog holes. There were probably more humane ways of ridding the pasture of the pests, but for a poor paralyzed from the waist down farmer and WWII vet, treating a bunch of big rats humanely was the furthest thing from his mind.

Ya fuck chiropractors. I lost my shit when my government was sponsoring some commercials about children having to carry to heavy bags to school and they had a chiropractor talking about it. Pissed me off.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
That's news to me. (because it's not true)

Miletius

Very sad story. Somewhat off topic, but days in a mouse lab will haunt me until the end of my time, even if the research was viewed as good and needed.

marrec

Banned
Very sad story. Somewhat off topic, but days in a mouse lab will haunt me until the end of my time, even if the research was viewed as good and needed.

I've talked to a guy who worked at a medical lab which did testing on monkeys and some of his stories are horrifying if true. Animals will always be treated like shit by humans.

I've talked to a guy who worked at a medical lab which did testing on monkeys and some of his stories are horrifying if true. Animals will always be treated like shit by humans.
this stuff runs really deep, we morally justify this shit all the time religiously. I find it really strange the way humans elevate ourselves above everything else. We were created in Gods image, he/she put animals here for to use at our discretion, we have a "soul"...which of course no other creatures have and we can't prove exists but it totally makes us better. Not trying to turn this into a religion debate, just trying to point out we humans put ourselves up on a pedestal.

We're the center of the solar system after all, the sun and even entire universe clearly revolves around us. Oh wait....

Miletius

True enough. If you work in a good lab the worst things that happen to them are unavoidable because it's part of the experiment. Things like injecting mice is terrifying to them, even if it's filled with saline (which is it for about 50 percent of them).

Diablos

So after doing more reading about this, I can't help but wonder: how the fuck do these bears even stay alive for up to 20 years in these conditions? How do they survive for even up to one year? They are basically being tortured 24/7, you'd think after a short while they'd just die. I realize they are given ample amounts of penicillin and various other drugs but their organs basically rot.

jimi_dini

The secret about all of this is that it's not the Chinese who are backwards and dumb hicks, it's humanity who clings to these little bits of superstition as a whole.

We do this because people want Chicken Nuggets for 99 cents at McDonalds. It's not because we need this much chicken to stay alive, it's because we need to produce as much chicken as possible on as little land as possible with as little consideration to the chickens suffering as possible. Snake oil being harvested from bears my serve 0 purpose, but keeping the market so flush with chicken that it costs as little as 1.54 a pound serves very little more than 0.

iJ0XMntPQpdRd.gif

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I can't fathom how people can do this to animals. However, I don't condemn anyone per se. Everyone is raised up different and I truely believe that humans, for the most part, are only a product of their enviroment. Not everyone has the priviledge to be raised like I am and has access to the knowledge I have. Not everyone lives a good live like I do. And humans do a lot of things to survive.

Really hope China evolves more in the coming years (hopefully not on our costs). Because as knowledge and prosperity grow so do such horrible things decline.

KHarvey16

storafötter;47613483 said:
Do people even know how ineffective animal research can be? (not just cosmetics!). Animals react different to different things and the results cant always be applied to humans. There is a rise on alternatives to animal research, but nobody wants since it is more fun to profit from using animals.

Do you know how ineffective cancer treatment can be? Do you know how ineffective anything can be that you do incorrectly? What a meaningless statement!

But yes, we continue to utilize animal testing because science doesn't realize other animals are different from people and, dammit, it's just plain fun. Believe it or not fun factor is the first thing scientists consider when conducting research.

Do you know how ineffective cancer treatment can be? Do you know how ineffective anything can be that you do incorrectly? What a meaningless statement!

But yes, we continue to utilize animal testing because science doesn't realize other animals are different from people and, dammit, it's just plain fun. Believe it or not fun factor is the first thing scientists consider when conducting research.

This is the very first time I haven't wanted a sarcasm font, it's so obvious. This is beautiful.

We need to give a proper value to everything, starting with environmental systems. The hidden costs to have cheap food are big drivers not only of this but also natural resources depletion.

V_Arnold

this stuff runs really deep, we morally justify this shit all the time religiously. I find it really strange the way humans elevate ourselves above everything else. We were created in Gods image, he/she put animals here for to use at our discretion, we have a "soul"...which of course no other creatures have and we can't prove exists but it totally makes us better. Not trying to turn this into a religion debate, just trying to point out we humans put ourselves up on a pedestal.

We're the center of the solar system after all, the sun and even entire universe clearly revolves around us. Oh wait....

Or, in the case of meat-eating, one does not need to justify it with any type of religion. If it is "tasty", then everything is fine.

I do not see how we can still bring up some misdirections and place the blame on "religion", not the abusive practices themselves.

What religion is behind the meat factories? The religion of money? The religion of profits? Or the religion of "I do not care how it is made, as long as it is cheap"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom