• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polar Bear Kills Carp, Controversy Ensues (KNUT STORY!) Also new cub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

Germany's celebrity polar bear Knut has triggered a new controversy by fishing out 10 live carp from his moat and killing them in front of visitors.

Critics say Berlin Zoo should not have put live fish inside Knut's enclosure. But German media report that the carp were put there to eat up algae.

There is speculation that hand-reared Knut killed the carp just for fun.

A new polar bear cub - Flocke - made her public debut at Nuremberg Zoo on Tuesday, shown live on television.

The zoo is expecting up to 25,000 visitors daily, eager to see Flocke (German for "snowflake"). She has also been hand-reared, because the zoo feared her mother might harm her.

But the zoo has said it wants to avoid any repetition of "Knut mania". Knut was rejected by his mother, but Berlin Zoo decided to hand-rear him, in a controversial move.

There has been heated debate about whether cubs rejected by their mothers should be saved or whether nature should be allowed to run its course.

Knut is now more than a year old and has grown overweight.

The Frankfurter Allgemeine news website reports that Knut "senselessly murdered the carp", fishing them out, playing with them and then leaving the remains.

Story here

Knut is a bear. Bears eat fish. Are people REALLY that stupid? I mean. Seriously. What the hell is wrong with people? Did they think he was a vegetarian?

Oh, and Flocke is cute:

_44549045_flockenewafp226body.jpg

Zeed

Banned
Gaborn said:
Knut is a bear. Bears eat fish.
Yeah but he wasn't eating them. And he's also got a reputation for being pretty crazy. There was a thread about it not too long ago.

Gaborn

Zeed said:
Yeah but he wasn't eating them. And he's also got a reputation for being pretty crazy. There was a thread about it not too long ago.

Ok, sure. But still. Fish. Bear. Bear. Fish. Not murder.

I can't read the n before the u, that tied with him being adorable results in hilarity and the right for him to maim whatever he wants for whatever reason.

Seriously, whenever a kid pulls the legs off a daddy long-legs or burns an ant with a magnifying glass they should be put down.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Ok, so a bear who was raised by people, kept in captivity all his life, and forced to endure hundreds of people staring at him all day kills a few fish and people are surprised? Man, I would go psycho too. I'd probably start killing things just for fun.

RSTEIN said:
Ok, so a bear who was raised by people, kept in captivity all his life, and forced to endure hundreds of people staring at him all day kills a few fish and people are surprised? Man, I would go psycho too. I'd probably start killing things just for fun.
Exactly.

This bear has been raised in captivity all of its life and he instinctively kills fish but doesn't eat them (because he's been overfed and thus isn't hungry) and people get upset?

bjork

"There has been heated debate about whether cubs rejected by their mothers should be saved or whether nature should be allowed to run its course."

So they would've let the bear die, but the fish dying is bad? gg germany

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I read to my Mom the stuff they were saying about Knut (how he would beckon to photogs to take his pic, wail for attention from tourists etc.), and she simply replied that it reminded her of me when I was a baby. So that shut me up :p

gofreak said:
I read to my Mom the stuff they were saying about Knut (how he would beckon to photogs to take his pic, wail for attention from tourists etc.), and she simply replied that it reminded her of me when I was a baby. So that shut me up :p
You're going to go psycho then,
bad news for your mum I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom