• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bears eat keeper who took their bile

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4331266.stm

Bears eat keeper who took their bile

A Chinese man has reportedly been killed and eaten by six bears in Shulan, Jilin province.
Han Shigen earned a living by extracting bile from the gall bladders of his captive live bears
, according to the Chinese state news agency Xinhua.

He was attacked on Monday morning while cleaning the animals' cage, Xinhua said, quoting the Beijing News.

Xinhua said the animals were so enraged that two hours passed before it was deemed safe enough to remove his body.

Many parts of the bear, including the brain and spinal cord, have long been used in traditional Chinese medicine.

The most coveted part is the bile within the gall bladder, which can often be more expensive that the equivalent weight of narcotics.

Bear bile can fetch an estimated $1,000 per kilo in Asian markets.

The bile is extracted in an excruciatingly painful process which involves slicing into the animal's flesh and "milking" the substance with a tube.

The bile is then used for everything from hair shampoo to wine, as well as medicinal treatments for various intestinal and cardiac-related complaints.

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
Didn't that tiger attack thing happen in china too? Chinese Animal Democracy uprising?

Thai

Bane was better.
damn, chinese zoos are crazy today...

in fact, the last couple of days have been filled with crazy animal news.

firex

When I first clicked on this topic, I thought the bears killed him because he took their bible.

Somehow I still think a bible would make more sense in this story.

firex said:
When I first clicked on this topic, I thought the bears killed him because he took their bible.

I thought it said "bike" when I first read it. I was picturing some bizarre circus stunt.

ziegen

firex said:

I thought it said bible at first as well.....made me remember this joke:

students of Northern Michigan University in Marquette. They would get
together two or three times a week for coffee and to talk shop. One day,
someone made the comment that preaching to people isn't really all that
hard. A real challenge would be to preach to a bear. One thing led to
another, and they decided to do a seven-day experiment. They would all go
out into the woods, find a bear, preach to it, and attempt to convert it.
Seven days later, they're all together to discuss the experience. Father
Flannery, who has his arm in a sling, is on crutches, and has various
bandages, goes first.

"Well," he says, "I went into the woods to find me a bear. And when I found
him I began to read to him from the Catechism. Well, that bear wanted
nothing to do with me and began to slap me around. So I quick grabbed my
holy water, sprinkled him and, Holy Mary Mother of God, he became as gentle
as a lamb. The bishop is coming out next week to give him first communion
and confirmation."

Reverend Billy Bob spoke next. He was in a wheelchair, with an arm and both
legs in casts, and an IV drip. In his best fire and brimstone oratory he
proclaimed, "WELL, brothers, you KNOW that we don't sprinkle...WE DUNK! I
went out and I FOUND me a bear. And then I began to read to him from God's
HOLY WORD! But that bear wanted nothing to do with me. So I took HOLD of
him and we began to rassle. We rassled down one hill, UP another and DOWN
another until we came to a crick. So I quickly DUNKED him and BAPTIZED his
hairy soul. And just like you said, he became as gentle as a lamb. We spent
the rest of the week in fellowship,feasting on God's Holy Word, and
praising Jesus."

They both looked down at the rabbi, who was lying in a hospital bed. He was
in a body cast and traction with IV's and monitors running in and out of
him. He was in bad shape. The rabbi looks up and says, "Oy, You fellows
don't know what trouble is until you try to circumcise one of those hairy
bastards!

firex

I know, it's funny to think of the godless killing machines actually having a bible. I mean, unless they devoured one of our lord's workers.

Too funny. I feel bad for that guy though, I know many people have to do work like that even after getting a degree in school.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I remember reading an article about the practice of "bile farming" a while back. I'm not PETA guy, but even I was absolutely disgusted.

They keep these bears in cages that are no bigger than the bear itself. They feed them to keep them alive, and "milk" them of their bile once a week. This involves poking a tube into the living gall-bladder of the bear and sucking the bile out. They usually keep the wound open and sterile so that they can get to the gall bladder easier.

Basically, the bear's entire life is excruciating pain.

The most screwed up part about bile farming and a variety of other Chinese animal-based medicines is that they can easily synthesize the chemical components they extract from the animals. They know this. It's easier to do than to maintain a ****ing animal torture zoo. But they still do it anyway.

way more

buckfutter said:
The most screwed up part about bile farming and a variety of other Chinese animal-based medicines is that they can easily synthesize the chemical components they extract from the animals. They know this. It's easier to do than to maintain a ****ing animal torture zoo. But they still do it anyway.

But it's all natural when you do it with a real bear. All natural man!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
buckfutter said:

If that`S the case, they should`ve kept him alive, and eaten parts of him every day for weeks on end.

Nickovic

firex said:

I thought it said bike. :/

pbb.jpg

Defuser

For some reason,im like reading some educational article,the explanation of bile is more than the guy being eaten.

kojacker

Yep I was expecting a story about bees.. how you'd extract bile from a bee didn't seem to cross my mind before i entered :lol

And rub it up him. Hope it was slow and painfull.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i was waiting for someone to ask but noone has............

what the hell do they use bear bile for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom