• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Captive mother bear kills cub, then self?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

inky

Fuck Chinese medicine, when will they get out of their widespread, ridiculous superstitious funk and join the rest of the G8+5.

I hate animal cruelty with all my heart, but it is not only Chinese medicine, shit happens everywhere for a variety of reasons: Canada clubs seals to death, Danes, Japanese, etc. slaughter whales and dolphins, shit , even stuff like foie gras is mostly obtained by "inhumane" methods. Most processed food we eat is probably obtained by these means.

We are a piece of shit species, all over the fucking world.

TheMan

I want to get angry at those idiots and their outdated, idiotic ways.

Then I remember that I eat meat, and that animals raised for food here in the US don't have it much better. :(

TheMan said:

Then I remember that I eat meat, and that animals raised for food here in the US don't have it much better. :(

I think animals in the us have it far better depending on the farm/factory.

jay

notworksafe said:
Well it does work. Don't be automatically dismissive. However there are more humane ways to get this stuff than bear guts now.

Dino fossils cured my impotence.

inky said:
I hate animal cruelty with all my heart, but it is not only Chinese medicine, shit happens everywhere for a variety of reasons: Canada clubs seals to death, Danes, Japanese, etc. slaughter whales and dolphins, shit , even stuff like foie gras is mostly obtained by "inhumane" methods. Most processed food we eat is probably obtained by these means.

the seal hunt is actually not that bad, look into it bro. in terms of depravity,it doesn't approach commercial pig, cow, chicken, etc. farms

X26

Banned
inky said:

seal clubbing only gets attention because they're cute, they don't live a life of constant pain and are killed in low numbers, same with whales/dolphins. Torturing animals like this is on a whole other level.

Monocle

What a disgusting practice.

inky said:

We made Oreos and the Sistine Chapel, so we can't be all bad.

Obsessed said:
Citation needed. Any articles proving the effectiveness of bear bile over placebo?
Since you missed my post once: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ursodiol.

Ursodeoxycholic acid goes by the trade names Actigall, Ursosan, Egyurso( Egyphar Egypt), Urso, and Urso Forte. In Italy and Switzerland, it is marketed under the name Deursil. In Mexico it is marketed in capsules of 250 mg under the name Coric by Mexican pharmaceutical Landsteiner Scientific.

Ursodeoxycholic acid can be chemically synthesized and was brought to market by the Montreal-based Axcan Pharma in 1998,[citation needed] which continues to market the drug.

The drug reduces cholesterol absorption and is used to dissolve (cholesterol) gallstones in patients who want an alternative to surgery. The drug is very expensive, however, and if the patient stops taking it, the gallstones tend to recur if the condition that gave rise to their formation does not change. For these reasons, it has not supplanted surgical treatment by cholecystectomy.

It is the only FDA approved drug to treat primary biliary cirrhosis.[4][5]

A Cochrane review to evaluate if ursodeoxycholic acid has any beneficial effect in primary biliary cirrhosis patients included 16 randomized clinical trials with a total of 1447 patients. The primary outcome measures were mortality and mortality or liver transplantation. Although treatment with ursodeoxycholic acid showed a reduction in liver biochemistry, jaundice, and ascites, it did not decrease mortality or liver transplantation.[6]

In children, its use is not licensed, as its safety and effectiveness are not established.[7][8][9]

In double the recommended daily dose ursodeoxycholic acid reduces elevated liver enzyme levels in patients with primary sclerosing cholangitis, but its use was associated with an increased risk of serious adverse events (the development of cirrhosis, varices, death or liver transplantation) in patients who received ursodeoxycholic acid compared with those who received placebo). After adjustment for baseline stratification characteristics, the risk was 2.1 times greater for death,transplantation, or minimal listing criteria in patients on ursodeoxycholic acid than for those on placebo (P = 0.038). Serious adverse events, were more common in the ursodeoxycholic acid group than the placebo group (63% versus 37% [P < 0.01])).[10]

Research by the Imperial College London has produced promising results in the treatment of arrhythmia, both in patients who have suffered a heart attack and in foetuses, by using ursodiol to change the electrical properties of myofibroblast cells. Myofibroblasts disrupt the transmission of electrical signals controlling heart rhythm. [11]

Production

The drug is generally not derived from animals. However, it is believed more than 12,000 bile bears are kept on farms in China, Vietnam and South Korea for the purpose of harvesting ursodeoxycholic acid.[12] Ursodeoxycholic acid is found in large quantities in bear bile.

Kraut

TheMan said:

While I can get behind the sentiment of the comparison, eating other animals for their protein is minuscule compared to this. For a species that has landed on the fucking moon to still believe in utter superstitious bullshit like ancient Chinese medicine is an embarrassment. Torturing animals in the name of that superstition is just salt in the wound. It is truly baffling to me that there can be such a vast chasm in human empathy and intelligence.

inky

OpinionatedCyborg said:
the seal hunt is actually not that bad, look into it bro. in terms of depravity,it doesn't approach commercial pig, cow, chicken, etc. farms

Oh I know, many of these massive hunts are organized and sanctioned for a reason and I understand the logic behind them. I also agree that the case presented on the op is particularly sad and cruel beyond measure. Just saying that humans murdering animals happens everywhere and we "justify" it differently. Sometimes in a most cruel fashion like the other stuff I mentioned i.e. foie gras and farm animal slaughter that you noted as well. Not trying to qualify them all in the same level of fuckedness.

I'm inclined to feel bad for animals, that's all. Even stuff like recreational hunting bothers me.

inky said:

Dolphins commit genocide on other species that have done nothing to them, rape and kill each other for lulz, and Chimps murder and then eat their dead, grab smaller monkeys and bash their heads against rocks. Yeah...the more intelligent one becomes the worse it is. it's no shock that the smarter the animal, the more aggressive and dangerous he is.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Obsessed said:
I think animals in the us have it far better depending on the farm/factory.

You think wrong.

Cows in the US have it pretty much exactly like this. Except the food is pumped into their stomach by a machine created hole.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
if animals didnt want to be treated this way, their bile shouldn't have medicinal properties.

and come on, they're made of food. they can't complain when they waive that in our face.

Nix

Banned
Pandaman said:
if animals didnt want to be treated this way, their bile shouldn't have medicinal properties.

and come on, they're made of food. they can't complain when they waive that in our face.

...Well, I just hope you remember that when we're on the lower side of food chain someday. Bears are going to be ripping our flesh out, and it'll be because "It tastes so fucking good; if you didn't want us to eat you, you shouldn't be so goddamn tasty!"

Sad to hear about the bear and its cub. It rammed into a wall? Harsh, very harsh. It's stories like these that bring me down.

Well... I feel like crying after reading about this and that damn story on HuffingtonPost about the baby chicks being ground up alive. I seriously hate this stuff... so, I have now learned to avoid any animal thread on NeoGAF!

OpinionatedCyborg said:

Ah sorry. I was browsing on my phone at the time.

Thanks for the link.

OpinionatedCyborg said:
It's always fascinating when ancient medicines demonstrate efficacy.

Meh. I don't find it that interesting. Modern medicine essentially started as objectively testing ancient medicine, and finding/isolating what worked.

Yo Gotti said:
You think wrong.

Cows in the US have it pretty much exactly like this. Except the food is pumped into their stomach by a machine created hole.

Well fuck...

This is why I support that lab grown meat crap. Ideally we can move to a future where meat no longer has to come from the slaughter of animals.

I only wish I had the self control to not eat meat.

Monocle

Pandaman said:

Not just food. Delicious food. They've always had it coming TBH.

Anyway, what did God make animals for, if not our personal convenience and amusement? Watch Lady Gaga strut around in a pair of nine-inch alligator skin heels and try to tell me she's not doing the Lord's work. †

DonMigs85

Pandaman said:

Same goes for us. Apparently humans have tasty flesh.
But generally we shouldn't be eating carnivorous/predatory animals because they're more likely to harbor parasites and contaminants in their flesh.

bangai-o

Banned
as for the huffington post article. I think the farm that is grinding up the chicks does make strong points. Hopefully they have the geeks working on ways to make only females hatch. There is no avoiding the machine, but the public does have the "natural" option.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
BananaBomb said:
goddamn foreign countries and their animal abusing shenanigans
Free market will fix this. Soon as people hear about this and stop buying bear bile, things will...

Oh wait. They won't care and crap like this will keep happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom