• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow is out now on the Wii U eShop! (US)

For some reason out of all the Metroidvanias I have played through Aria the most. The addictive nature of collecting enemies abilities is such a good hook. Getting that rare soul drop after so many tries felt damn good. I think I replayed this one so much because there was such an amazing variety of abilities to use that you would probably never use them all during one playthrough.

It's a lot better imo. Doesn't look as good, though.

DoS had better ballance. Both are still great, and are on top of the CV Metroidvania heap.

DoS' progression was broken. Never felt like you were actually getting stronger.

I do agree they messed up with the soul leveling and fusion systems. That aside, with Dawn the weapons and souls themselves weren't nearly as OP, and each had its own advantages and disadvantages.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
And Castlevania's weird "real ending" requirements strike again. Thought I beat this earlier today, only to realize you need a specific combination of souls equipped while fighting the final boss to unlock the last area/boss...

HereticJ

Fantastic game. I remember it coming out in May in the US and getting a pre-order for it since the release was a week before my birthday.

Playing in pixel-perfect mode and the game is gorgeous. I'm amazed how colorful and detailed every background is despite being in an evil castle and running on a handheld released in 2001. This probably has a lot to do with the incredible artwork, which tossed the Gothic aesthetic for something that looks like Avatar on Nickelodeon.

The music is so good. Much like the visuals, the music is impressive and shines through the limitations of the hardware. Providing a moody atmosphere with strong melodies meant to remind the player he or she is now risking his life to eliminate the marauding masses of evil and to fight with the appropriate fervor.

Where CotM and HoD felt like a Symphony of the Lite, Aria finally delivered on what made SotN such a winning formula, becoming a trusted right hand next to its throne. From new weapons, to armor and amulets and souls with three different types of effect on the player character; variety finally allowed the player to play in the way he or she prefers.

I would recommend this game to just about anyone but specifically those who have ever enjoyed an IGA-vania game.

Man, the whip sword is so much fun I don't even want to use other things even if they're more powerful. You can't mess with that classic Castlevania whip gameplay perfection.

jb1234

I prefer Dawn of Sorrow (which looks better and has a more consistent soundtrack) but you can't go wrong with Aria.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Why don't people give Circle of the Moon more love?

Metroidvania + classic whip is an awesome combination :(.

Davey Cakes

It gets a decent amount of love. People just like Aria because it's as close as the series ever got to replicating SotN.

I agree that CotM is great and one of the best Castlevania games though. It's really fun and feels distinct amongst the rest of the games in the series.

Calamari41

41 > 38

Circle of the Moon is great, and was my first Castlevania game. My only real problem with it, and it has become more apparent by playing all of these back to back since they popped up on the eShop, is that it is significantly more tedious to get around the map in CotM compared to Aria.

Aria of Sorrow's castle was designed nearly perfectly.

Morts

I picked this up yesterday since GAF said it was the best GBA one and played for about four hours until I got my ass kicked by
Death
. The only other Castlevania I've played was 3/4 of one of the DS ones, never finished one. What's the next best one on Virtual Console?

LeleSocho

Banned
This game has only one imperfection... Soma's animations.

Everything else is perfect and it's easily the best metroidvania ever made (DoS is goddamn good too)

Rich!

I picked this up yesterday since GAF said it was the best GBA one and played for about four hours until I got my ass kicked by
Death
. The only other Castlevania I've played was 3/4 of one of the DS ones, never finished one. What's the next best one on Virtual Console?

I knew who that boss would be before I even clicked it

He was piss easy in Symphony of the Night. In this he was a fucking nightmare.

Davey Cakes

Circle of the Moon is great, and was my first Castlevania game. My only real problem with it, and it has become more apparent by playing all of these back to back since they popped up on the eShop, is that it is significantly more tedious to get around the map in CotM compared to Aria.

Aria of Sorrow's castle was designed nearly perfectly.
This is true I guess.

Still, I always enjoyed traversing the Castle in CotM. It feels so...tall. You jump so high. There are many rooms that are like towers going straight up. Good stuff.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Man, I wish there was a "buy all three, get a discount" sale on the CV's, cause I wanna play them all (again). :(

There actually probably will be at some point, and it will probably encompass all of the Castlevanias from the NES original to Aria. They've already done this with all of the Kirby games and all of the Megaman games off the top of my head.

Today we are getting Demon's crest and Gargoyles quest 2. It's nice to see that the NA wiiU VC is being revived. The last few weeks were great,with a new game every week.

In spite of having a ton of other stuff to do, I got sucked into this game for 4 hours straight tonight. I think I'm having a better time with this than I did with SotN, it just plays so damn great and has so much going on in terms of abilities. I'd be leaning towards this being the best Igavania if I'd played them all yet.

Davey Cakes

With the addition of the GBA 'Vanias, players on Wii U now have access to:

Castlevania
Castlevania 2
Castlevania 3
Super CV4
Dracula X SNES
Dracula X Rondo of Blood
Circle of the Moon
Harmony of Dissonance
Aria of Sorrow
Adventure Rebirth

And if/when DS VC happens, that'll open things up for:

Dawn of Sorrow
Portrait of Ruin
Order of Ecclesia

The Wii U is a Castlevania beast. If only it could have SotN and Bloodlines as well.

Finished this today, and loved every minute of it. I'd keep going, but
Julius mode
seems impossible. Ran up against a big enemy very early on, got absolutely trounced because I did so little damage & said "nah."

Top Bottom