• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (Official Thread of AWESOME) GO! PSP! GO!

Ok, I have a question here. I see lots complaining about the game's diffculty, so for those who have played both the original PC Engine version and this one, has there been changes to the diffculty because I find the original to be very easy. Though its been a while since I've played it, I could beat it at one time on one life without getting hit.

yggdrasil

I think the difficulty complaints may be due to the new content?

The hydra boss of Stage 5' is pretty challenging. Lots of patterns to learn. Most of the bosses may have been nerfed (and susceptible to Holy Book Item Crash slowdown, oh my!), but I enjoy the challenge of Dracula's third form and the Hydra and enjoy fighting Succubus Annette, easy though she may be.

For these reasons, Boss Rush is quite an enjoyable challenge; I just unlocked
Akumajyo Dracula Peke for my third time through. It is terrible

duckroll said:
Okay, here goes:

The original dialogue is pretty bad, but the new translation is much better than either the original English or your literal translation of the Japanese. Not sure what your complaint is.

duckroll

Father_Brain said:
The original dialogue is pretty bad, but the new translation is much better than either the original English or your literal translation of the Japanese. Not sure what your complaint is.

I guess if you don't care that the "translated lines" have nothing at all in common with the original script. Sure!

so I unlocked SotN....and VA is just as ridiculous as before :lol

....then again I was one of those who always dug the "camp" feel of the original anyway....still, its just odd that they seemingly made no real improvement

manzo

methos1975 said:
Ok, I have a question here. I see lots complaining about the game's diffculty, so for those who have played both the original PC Engine version and this one, has there been changes to the diffculty because I find the original to be very easy. Though its been a while since I've played it, I could beat it at one time on one life without getting hit.

I find the remake easier than the original.

But stage 5', oh wow

Chemo

Not sure if anyone has checked or mentioned yet, but the DCX version of Symphony of the Night is pretty bad in comparison to the version you can play on PSP courtesy of the PSN. I switched back and forth quite a bit today checking visuals, performance and sound and in pretty much every aspect the PSN version is significantly better. None of the issues with dark backgrounds are present on the download, there's absolutely no slowdown or 3D background issues with the prologue Richter/Dracula battle, and sprites are much more crisp/less blurry.

So if anyone is looking for the "best" version of the game on PSP, it's definitely the original. I'm going to try to get through the DCX "upgrade" so I can check out Maria's game, but it's going to be a lot harder playing through it knowing that there's a superior version on my memory stick.

NolbertoS

Segata Sanshiro said:
Dear Mr. Konami's Canadian Distributor,

Eat a dick.

I bought the game across the border and didn't have to pay any duties, cuz I put the game inside my PSP and box was in my pocket. You Canadian guys should just cross the border and come back.

Chemo said:
Not sure if anyone has checked or mentioned yet, but the DCX version of Symphony of the Night is pretty bad in comparison to the version you can play on PSP courtesy of the PSN. I switched back and forth quite a bit today checking visuals, performance and sound and in pretty much every aspect the PSN version is significantly better. None of the issues with dark backgrounds are present on the download, there's absolutely no slowdown or 3D background issues with the prologue Richter/Dracula battle, and sprites are much more crisp/less blurry.

So if anyone is looking for the "best" version of the game on PSP, it's definitely the original. I'm going to try to get through the DCX "upgrade" so I can check out Maria's game, but it's going to be a lot harder playing through it knowing that there's a superior version on my memory stick.
Yeah the PSN version is far superior if you wanna get technical...I mean, besides the Maria avatar, what else did they add to the DCX version? (besides useless VA redo)
...if its nothing really substantial at all, then I might as well just play the PSN version yeah?

manzo

Chemo said:

I'm running the game on 333mhz and I get a lot of stuttering all the time; it seems that the game lags a bit when it loads data from the memstick.

Does this happen on UMD? I can't test this because my UMD drive is busted. :(

duckroll said:
I guess if you don't care that the "translated lines" have nothing at all in common with the original script. Sure!

Why should I, when the original script is as horrible and pretentious as what you translated?

Chemo

manzo said:
I'm running the game on 333mhz and I get a lot of stuttering all the time; it seems that the game lags a bit when it loads data from the memstick.

Does this happen on UMD? I can't test this because my UMD drive is busted. :(
It stutters a bit... I wouldn't say a lot or all the time, so maybe it's just an issue when running it off the memstick? Either way I guess the DCX version just isn't that great. :/

Link1110

AgentOtaku said:
so I unlocked SotN....and VA is just as ridiculous as before :lol

....then again I was one of those who always dug the "camp" feel of the original anyway....still, its just odd that they seemingly made no real improvement
It's not too much of a retranslation. Watch the part before and after Alucard fights Dracula. They changed 2 lines, the rest is verbatim from the original.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Father_Brain said:
Why should I, when the original script is as horrible and pretentious as what you translated?
This post makes me cry. Having crucial lines made up by the translator is not a good idea any way you spin it. If you're adding/localizing jokes in a Working Designs style way then that's acceptable, but don't rewrite the god damn opening scene.

Sage00 said:
This post makes me cry. Having crucial lines made up by the translator is not a good idea any way you spin it. If you're adding/localizing jokes in a Working Designs style way then that's acceptable, but don't rewrite the god damn opening scene.

Does it matter if the scene's dialogue sucks either way?

Link1110 said:
It's not too much of a retranslation. Watch the part before and after Alucard fights Dracula. They changed 2 lines, the rest is verbatim from the original.
exactly!

...why the hell even try ya know?

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Pureauthor said:
Yes! Because now not only does it have bad dialogue, it has bad dialogue AND bad localization! Inferior version.

Cheerilee

NolbertoS said:
I bought the game across the border and didn't have to pay any duties, cuz I put the game inside my PSP and box was in my pocket. You Canadian guys should just cross the border and come back.
You can get the rubber glove for trying things like that. The guards smell fear.

And Canadians don't pay duty if they were in the States for less than a day and bring back less than $50 worth of stuff. When they ask where you went, just show them the receipt and say you went to ____ and bought Castlevania for the PSP because it's not available in Canada yet. You get off scot free, and it's MUCH easier than trying to invent a BS excuse for your trip.

BTW, does anyone know if there's any American chains still giving away any cool preorder goodies with the game?

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Pureauthor said:
What if it doesn't? you're relying on the criteria of some random translator who may not appreciate it on the same level as you and think it's a good idea to remake half the stuff just because. Not that I care about that in a game like this anyway.

NolbertoS said:
The cost of gas for the trip exceeds any sane levels for me. I'll just wait til Wednesday, I suppose.

Bebpo

Banned
So I'm not a fan of old CV, never have been. Let's see how stage 3 went:

-Oh hey look it's spear guys, ok I'll go fight them. Wait, 4 hits to kill each one? What is this mini-boss room? Oh crap he's stabbing at me, better jump away...WHAT WHY DID YOU BACKFLIP INTO THE SPEAR!?!? ARGH ONE DEATH. At least there's some chicken.

-Flying skeletons are pretty cool. Do not hit the bottom firebreather skullhead when the middle one is about to breath flames on you.

-Fleas...ugh. Medusas? ugh ugh. Ok, so now I'm at a golden skeleton. No problem right, really easy. Except uhmm I keep walking backwards to the corner and he slides into me and I'm stuck rolling inside him and there goes all my life.

-Let's try this again. Ok, jumping past the flippy things with medusa heads, jump over one...WAIT WHY DID YOU BACKFLIP BACK ONTO THE FLIPPY THINGY YOU JUST JUMPED OVER AND FALL TO THE GROUND!?!!?

-Long room...zzz. Yay stairs....with enemies and you with an axe...zzz

-Oh look it's some fancy living wall I can't pass. Oh hey look it's some sliding thing I can't pass. Jumping over spear guys? Yay @_@

-Hmm, chicken + hearts + cross...cool.

-AXEBULL COMETH. Doing good, doing good, jump up on the platforms when he gets to close jump across and over hi...WHY DID YOU JUST BACKFLIP BACK INTO THE AXEBULL MAN YOU ARE TRYING TO JUMP OVER!?!?!? Ok, throwing bricks alright, ramming me..NOT ALRIGHT. Pinned in a roll animation between the wall and the axebull...dead. NO MORE LIVES. GAME HATES YOU. TRY AGAIN.

-grrr...back at the AXEBULL as the double backflip gets me again when making medusa jumps to fall BACK into a pit I jumped over. Ok, first attempt. Doing good, doing good, beat his ass, oh wait what....not dead...shoryuken...NOOOO :( Once more! I see your shoryuken and I dodge it! AHAHAHA WHO IS THE WINNER NOW!

Stage 3 end.

Bebpo

Banned
MoxManiac said:
Weak, bebpo. Weak.

It's not my fault the controls fight against me every minute. Same thing with GnG. Love the art design and boss patterns, but the controls fuck me left and right. Give me a smooth controlling tough game like Maximo or Ninja Gaiden anyday over this stuff. I see how hardcore people can like this type of frustrating challenge, but not for me ;_;

Honestly if Drac X didn't have the backflip of doom I would enjoy it a lot more. Sometimes I swear I've had it happen when I only tap once to jump! Also I would be happy if there was a belmont dog mode that gave you like 9 lives so when you get to bosses you can actually LEARN THEIR PATTERNS THROUGH DEATH without having to redo the entire level again.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
rondo is designed around those controls, so if there is anyone to blame about you... dying a lot, I think is yourself ;)

maybe you are spoiled! in that case the game is not the problem at all. did you play an old school Castlevania before this one?

Bebpo

Banned
Error said:
maybe you are spoiled! in that case the game is not the problem at all. did you play an old school Castlevania before this one?

I played 1-4 when they came out back in the day and didn't like any of them except IV, but I think that one was easy or something and that's why I wasn't always wanting to break the game in half.

I don't like the series. There's nothing wrong with it and fans of old CV do like it, but old CV is just frustrating. All I remember about CV1 was getting hit by medusa heads while jumping over pits and getting knocked back into the pit. Back in the day we used to call those deaths "cheap" and that was what old CV design was all about. I don't like learning levels by dying and being limited to only 3 lives so I have to redo the entire level over and over until I learn it all. Megaman is basically old CV design but with good controls and less cheap.

Is there even any point to money in Drac X? Do you get bonus lives like a shmup every "x" amount of points?

Bebpo

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Ha ha, as I always suspected, bebpo's terrible at games

Yes, because being bad at CV and GnG with their awful controls = bad at games. @_@ Drac X remake and UGnG are tougher than any other game that's come out in the last 10 years IMO. They're the only games that feel like I'll never be able to beat them. (well I beat UGnG but that's because it had difficulty levels)

Defuser said:
Backflip is a lifesaver.You will love it when you fight against Dracula.

I dont use Backflip to save me too much, I mean once you know the pattern of each enemy it is useless, but it is one of my favorite parts of Rondo.

back flipping into the orb that falls after you kill a boss and having the screen freeze while your upside down is badass.

Defuser

Bebpo said:
Is there even any point to money in Drac X? Do you get bonus lives like a shmup every "x" amount of points?
yup,earn cash/points for 1up

Bebpo said:
Yes, because being bad at CV and GnG with their awful controls = bad at games. @_@ Drac X remake and UGnG are tougher than any other game that's come out in the last 10 years IMO. They're the only games that feel like I'll never be able to beat them. (well I beat UGnG but that's because it had difficulty levels)
Then use maria,she practically 'easy mode'

Bebpo said:

in both CV and GnG, the main thing you need to do to do well is memorize enemy patterns and understand your characters limits, once that is understood then it is easy.

and if playing Rondo is too hard for people, just unlock Maria and it becomes a piece of cake.

Defuser said:
Then use maria,she practically 'easy mode'

double jump
slide dash
roll
unlimited use of that summon she does
in some cases better powerups

she makes the game much easier, like almost too easy.

Bebpo

Banned
I don't use maria because I want to play the game as it's intended to be. Learning the patterns isn't bad, but like I'll be climbing a staircase and a bat appears and flies at me. If I try to whip it, it'll go above or below and hit me, if I try to go down a step to hit it dead on I'll be facing away from it and can't turn and hit the bat in time.

I'm trying to unlock SoTN in stage 3' but I need an axe and there is not a single axe in the entire level up to the point where it is...I thought weapon drops were random, but I guess not.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I've played through the game using a phat PSP and had no problems with the controls. It took me a few hours to jet through the whole thing. As far as CV games go, I think Rondo is one of the easier ones. Even if Maria takes more damage now, it's still super easy to beat the game with her.

Pattern recognition.

My man.

Raziel

Bebpo said:
So I'm not a fan of old CV, never have been. Let's see how stage 3 went:

-Oh hey look it's spear guys, ok I'll go fight them. Wait, 4 hits to kill each one? What is this mini-boss room? Oh crap he's stabbing at me, better jump away...WHAT WHY DID YOU BACKFLIP INTO THE SPEAR!?!? ARGH ONE DEATH. At least there's some chicken.

-Flying skeletons are pretty cool. Do not hit the bottom firebreather skullhead when the middle one is about to breath flames on you.

-Fleas...ugh. Medusas? ugh ugh. Ok, so now I'm at a golden skeleton. No problem right, really easy. Except uhmm I keep walking backwards to the corner and he slides into me and I'm stuck rolling inside him and there goes all my life.

-Let's try this again. Ok, jumping past the flippy things with medusa heads, jump over one...WAIT WHY DID YOU BACKFLIP BACK ONTO THE FLIPPY THINGY YOU JUST JUMPED OVER AND FALL TO THE GROUND!?!!?

-Long room...zzz. Yay stairs....with enemies and you with an axe...zzz

-Oh look it's some fancy living wall I can't pass. Oh hey look it's some sliding thing I can't pass. Jumping over spear guys? Yay @_@

-Hmm, chicken + hearts + cross...cool.

-AXEBULL COMETH. Doing good, doing good, jump up on the platforms when he gets to close jump across and over hi...WHY DID YOU JUST BACKFLIP BACK INTO THE AXEBULL MAN YOU ARE TRYING TO JUMP OVER!?!?!? Ok, throwing bricks alright, ramming me..NOT ALRIGHT. Pinned in a roll animation between the wall and the axebull...dead. NO MORE LIVES. GAME HATES YOU. TRY AGAIN.

-grrr...back at the AXEBULL as the double backflip gets me again when making medusa jumps to fall BACK into a pit I jumped over. Ok, first attempt. Doing good, doing good, beat his ass, oh wait what....not dead...shoryuken...NOOOO :( Once more! I see your shoryuken and I dodge it! AHAHAHA WHO IS THE WINNER NOW!

Stage 3 end.
The third 'WHY DID YOU JUST BACKFLIP...' got me. :lol

Raziel

Bebpo said:
I don't use maria because I want to play the game as it's intended to be. Learning the patterns isn't bad, but like I'll be climbing a staircase and a bat appears and flies at me. If I try to whip it, it'll go above or below and hit me, if I try to go down a step to hit it dead on I'll be facing away from it and can't turn and hit the bat in time.

I'm trying to unlock SoTN in stage 3' but I need an axe and there is not a single axe in the entire level up to the point where it is...I thought weapon drops were random, but I guess not.
There is a cross in the area that immediately precedes the area with the vine cage/platform. You can use that.

Mar

Bebpo said:

Did you really beat it though? You only get the real ending when you finish it with the 33 rings.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Bebpo said:

And it's intended for you to also be able to use Maria. What you're saying isn't making sense. She was in the original game too. If you're finding this game too difficult (I think it's easier than the original), use Maria. It's not like you can't go back and replay the game with Richter afterwards. Maria makes getting the secrets easier, too.

You don't need an axe to get SOTN in stage 3'. Check this site if you need a walkthrough with pictures:

http://www.persona-world.net/cve/dxcunlockablesstage3b.html

And again, use Maria. It sounds like you need her.

Bebpo

Banned
MarkMan said:
I've played through the game using a phat PSP and had no problems with the controls. It took me a few hours to jet through the whole thing. As far as CV games go, I think Rondo is one of the easier ones. Even if Maria takes more damage now, it's still super easy to beat the game with her.

Pattern recognition.

My man.

Like I said, patterns are not a problem. Pattern recognition is no different than a modern game like DMC. It's the execution actually dodging those patterns within the constrains of the control that are the tough part for me.

That being said I found the axe and finished 3'. Didn't realize the ' levels have the same bosses.

The bosses are my favorite part of old CV and GnG games and the reason I play them. I learn their patterns, I get better at dodging them, and then when I replay the bosses that used to be hard I can beat them without getting hit; just like good boss fights should be. It's the stages and random shit like bats and crows that I hate. I lose more life to bats then bosses or mini-bosses.

Also for all my bitching, I seem to be passing each level in the game within a few tries so it's mainly just bitching for bitching sake because those tries are frustrating.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
This game is nowhere, nowhere near as difficult as UGnG. None of the Castlevania games are as hard as GnG.

Lyte Edge said:
This game is nowhere, nowhere near as difficult as UGnG. None of the Castlevania games are as hard as GnG.

I concur

...jesus, thinking about playing through the first arcade GnG again sends chills down my spine =/

Bebpo

Banned
Lyte Edge said:

You're probably right. Did you play Kai? I can't even pass level 2 :( At least I'm progressing in Drac X.

Top Bottom