• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (Official Thread of AWESOME) GO! PSP! GO!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
SailorDaravon said:
Worse than the Okami preorder bonus? THAT thing was fucking shit.

Yes.

theultimo said:
Yup. SHould have given us the soundtrack, like Dawn of Mana.

We didn't get the soundtrack. We got a 6 (or so) song sampler disc. But at least the disc itself is rather stunning.

FrozenCell said:
PS1 version sounded really lowres on PSP, DXC version seems to have proper sampling rate... alas some soundeffects have nasty higher pitch - like the axe thrown at ya.

I'm talking about the one I ripped and converted myself. Not the one Sony tried to sell me for $10. And yeah, some of the sounds in this PSP port are janky as all hell.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Finally played through my retail copy of the game.... Everything seems about the same... :)

Still love it...

duckroll

DXMachina said:
What am I supposed to do with the Flesh/Ice walls?

Other than Maria and Annette, there are two other prisoners hidden around the stages. Saving each one will allow you to break down the flesh or ice walls.

So this game has been delayed to the 31st in Canada? When I tried pressing the clerk for a release date all I got was a shrug and "we were supposed to have it by now".

duckroll

AgentOtaku said:
fuck you wolfman

FUCK YOU!

He actually has really, really easy patterns. The trick is not to charge at him, but stay at whippable distance and watch for what he does. The best thing about the bosses in Rondo is that when you damage them once or twice they get knocked back. Use this to your advantage and knock them back while they're in the middle of starting attack animations so you cancel the attacks. When he's climbing up the side walls you can usually score 2-3 hits on him. And once he's on the ceiling just bait him at a corner and run past as he dashes down, waiting to turn around and whip him some more. :lol

Chemo said:
Maybe we hate them because the level design is shit, there's no challenge and the sprites haven't changed since Rondo? Or maybe we hate them because they're the exact same thing, over and over and over again. Or could it be the fact that maybe we grew up with the series, and saw it grow/progress/improve or at the very least CHANGE with each mainline iteration up to and including Symphony, where it ran into a brick fucking wall?

I guess none of these reasons are good enough to hate? The best three things IGA's had his name on in the last ten years are Symphony of the Night, Castlevania Chronicles, and Castlevania Dracula X Chronicles -- and none of those games were actually designed by him. If that doesn't scream "hey there's a big fucking problem with the guy in charge of this shit," I don't know what does. He's lazy, his direction sucks, and he has no desire or drive to improve the series in any way.

And I apologize. I really did not want to make a big "I hate IGA" post, but I can't fucking stand when people say that I am unjustified in my dislike of this tripe. IGA's Castlevanias are no different than EA's yearly installments of sports titles. Incremental improvements, just enough to get by, because who cares -- your target audience will buy them anyway. How can anyone defend that?

Except that at least when it came to Aria and Dawn of Sorrow, IGA's team did improve it by streamlining the castle design. Symphony had pacing issues at times that had to do with the castle design, which involved a lot of backtracking.

duckroll

cartman414 said:
Except that at least when it came to Aria and Dawn of Sorrow, IGA's team did improve it by streamlining the castle design. Symphony had pacing issues at times that had to do with the castle design, which involved a lot of backtracking.

But the actual DESIGN is still pretty bland. Did he streamline the layout of the castle? Sure. Was the actual design of each part of the castle better? Fuck no.

Stuneseht

this game is seriously beating my ass. It's a fun game, but DAMN- can a live a little. I wish there was a konami code of some sort, to help with the constant restarts... 3 lives isn't enough.:lol

duckroll said:
But the actual DESIGN is still pretty bland. Did he streamline the layout of the castle? Sure. Was the actual design of each part of the castle better? Fuck no.

It's not like Symphony didn't have its share of emptiness though.

am I the only one who likes the original Rondo boss intros compared to the updated 3D cutscenes? I still like cutscenes in the updated games, but the boss intros in Rondo are so awesome.

one of my favorite scenes in a game is the begining of the werewolf fight where you see him silouhetted in the moon, then you see him jump out and land in for the actual fight. It was so awesome.

Linkzg said:
am I the only one who likes the original Rondo boss intros compared to the updated 3D cutscenes?
Nope, I agree. The originals have a lot more "pop" to them. They tried to make the boss intros more dramatic in the remake, but they really just succeeded in slowing things down. The way the undead bull comes onscreen is so much more thrilling in the original, f'r example.

Jcgamer60

Defuser said:
So how you much would you guys rate the remake and original?

Remake: 7

Original: 9 (would look better on a tv though)

The controls in the remake feel stiff compared to the original.

duckroll said:
Other than Maria and Annette, there are two other prisoners hidden around the stages. Saving each one will allow you to break down the flesh or ice walls.

Heh, I figured that out shortly after posting.

duckroll

cartman414 said:
It's not like Symphony didn't have its share of emptiness though.

Of course it did. But SotN was really the first CV to do the "open non-linear castle" thing in Castlevania, and after a half dozen more attempts Iga isn't really any closer to bringing the actual stage design up to the standard of a linear stage based CV. At the same time he refuses to do a new stage based CV, maybe because he knows his team sucks at stage design. That's where most of the hate comes from. :p

So how do I actually save Annette?

I'm trying to unlock the 9th level and I can't seem to figure out how to save her. I killed that sucubus and saved the rest of the maidens, but I only have her left.

Enk

makes good threads.
Remake-8

Pros- Swapping stage music, some nice background work (like the alternate 2nd stage and the clocktower), level design nearly stays true to the original game, lots of hidden secrets and items.

Cons- Controls feel a bit off compared to the original, colors and art style appear blander, feels slower paced and easier, and some glitches I don't think were in the original (like falling through floors, and enemies juggling you against a wall until you die).

Original- 9

An amazing game for its time and still is a great game today.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I have to admit that, even being usually a 2d>3d guy, the remake looks tons better than the original. There's much more detail everywhere and the overall visual quality is superior. The first stages are bland, but the latter ones... they're fucking awesome. Movement may seem stiff at first, but soon you get used to it and the action flows very nicely.
Before playing the game, I though having cutscenes would ruin the pace, but I was wrong; they're very short and blend very very well. The music and voices(japanese) are good and high-quality.
My only complaint is the obvious upgrade in style from cheap ass 80s anime (wich I love :D ) to Kojima... but I love Kojima too, so I guess I have no complaints actually :p
Summary: remake is awesome.

duckroll said:
Of course it did. But SotN was really the first CV to do the "open non-linear castle" thing in Castlevania, and after a half dozen more attempts Iga isn't really any closer to bringing the actual stage design up to the standard of a linear stage based CV. At the same time he refuses to do a new stage based CV, maybe because he knows his team sucks at stage design. That's where most of the hate comes from. :p

And that I agree with. But to say that SotN is any less guilty is a fallacy if you ask me.

duckroll

cartman414 said:
And that I agree with. But to say that SotN is any less guilty is a fallacy if you ask me.

Yeah but I've never been a big defender of the "SotN rocks, Iga SUCKS BALLS" wagon. It's more like "I really like the older CVs, SotN was a cool alternative, Iga sucks balls because he failed to really make the SotN formula much fresher or any closer to older CVs after 6 attempts!". :)

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
The remake is much clearer - just compare how Level 2 looks in each. One thing that bugs me about the remake is that they didn't always do a good job distinguishing between which platforms are "in play" and which aren't. Parish was right about the darkness of the original and its choppiness, though. The game feels like it should run better, but so would a great, great many games from that era if they were presented as-is today. I'm curious how much worse both elements are relative to the Turbo Duo version of the game. That said, the funny thing is that original in this package is still more playable than the remake.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
EB Games and Future Shop in Canada...you have failed me.

EB's still spouting their crap about it being delayed and Future Shop has copies in transit, but haven't gotten them in yet.

I really, really enjoyed the remake. Some of the levels are pretty ugly, but the level where you ride on the raft is pretty damn cool.

duckroll said:
Yeah but I've never been a big defender of the "SotN rocks, Iga SUCKS BALLS" wagon. It's more like "I really like the older CVs, SotN was a cool alternative, Iga sucks balls because he failed to really make the SotN formula much fresher or any closer to older CVs after 6 attempts!". :)

Gotcha. It's all the people who are on the former aforementioned wagon that make it a little hard to tell.

On the other hand, he has yet to attempt an original, level-based Castlevania, so we can't say he's incapable. Just unwilling throughout the years. Hopefully that will change.

Raziel

I've had some time to play this a little bit and unlock the extra games and what not, and I have to say, I'm really happy I bought this. All in all, a very nice Castlevania package.

Also, I want to add: the remake really surprised me. The original is more vibrant and has better art, but the remake is more than respectable.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Dot50Cal said:
God damn Shaft!
I hate lightning orbs!! Can I go on the top platforms and be ok?
The first two strikes can be avoided by standing between both orbs, the third you need to keep moving and jump out when they're about to attack.

Okay, I'm surprised. The
peeping eye boss is actually pretty cool-looking in the remake. He's well-animated, ugly in a good way, and suitably foreskin-like. And his sanskrit looks cool. Mr. headless ice lance armor is pretty cool, too.

It seems like the remake in general gets better - looks better in general, and enhances the original areas in more satisfying ways - as it goes on. Maybe the team started development in order, on the first level, and ended up improving their skills as they went along?

And the remake's all about Maria. Richter is great for a challenge in the original, but I'd rather just use Maria all the way through the remake.

SappYoda

I went to buy the game at my local store and they told me it was coming in february WTF?

I mean they just need to translate a few subs only. Europe sucks :(

manzo

God damn, Stage 5' boss is so fucking easy yet it's kicking my ass.

I can't believe how shitty I've become with platformers.

I can fucking beat Castlevania 1's death without taking a hit, WITHOUT ANY SUBWEAPONS, but that fucking
snake
has made me go game over 3 times in a row? hahahahhahaHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHahahahahhHAHAHHA!?!?!?!?!

duckroll

jiji said:
Okay, I'm surprised. The
peeping eye boss is actually pretty cool-looking in the remake. He's well-animated, ugly in a good way, and suitably foreskin-like. And his sanskrit looks cool. Mr. headless ice lance armor is pretty cool, too.

It seems like the remake in general gets better - looks better in general, and enhances the original areas in more satisfying ways - as it goes on. Maybe the team started development in order, on the first level, and ended up improving their skills as they went along?

And the remake's all about Maria. Richter is great for a challenge in the original, but I'd rather just use Maria all the way through the remake.

Have you seen the completely new Stage 5' in the remake yet? I just unlocked it today, and it's totally new. The rafting alternate part of 4' is pretty cool in the remake too. Good use of the 3D backgrounds and stuff.

manzo

duckroll said:
Have you seen the completely new Stage 5' in the remake yet? I just unlocked it today, and it's totally new. The rafting alternate part of 4' is pretty cool in the remake too. Good use of the 3D backgrounds and stuff.

I unlocked it yesterday and still haven't beaten it. I fucking LOVE the difficulty of ST5', you have to start remembering where the skeletons come, etc. :)

Every level should be like stage 5'.

Top Bottom