• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (Official Thread of AWESOME) GO! PSP! GO!

Kobiekun

Just got my copy during lunch. So far I really like the remake. I can't wait to unlock the emulated version of Rondo to compare it with the PCE version.

colinp

Banned
Picked it up after work today. Holy shit it is exactly what I was expecting: Classic Castlevania sidescrolling with a slick 3d sheen. In the process of unlocking SOTN at the moment... Mmmm, portable SOTN.

The cast shadows on the main menu screens are awesome.

mint

Banned
colinp said:
Picked it up after work today. Holy shit it is exactly what I was expecting: Classic Castlevania sidescrolling with a slick 3d sheen. In the process of unlocking SOTN at the moment... Mmmm, portable SOTN.

The cast shadows on the main menu screens are awesome.

at first i thought my psp screen was going wierd lol

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Yeah, I got the preorder bonus, and it's absolutely hideous. Such an unprofessional job. The "pixels" are awful blobs of color that only occasionally resemble squares. Terrible. Also, it does not sport a CV1 Simon color scheme, but a CV2 Simon color scheme. No big deal either way, as it's totally hideous and barely resembles any Simon Belmont sprite, really.

Well, I just beat the game, and on my first run-through unlocked Maria and Rondo of Blood classic. All in all, a pretty shitty game. The graphics are unimpressive, the animation is downright terrible (lips don't even move during some cutscenes, lol), sound effects janky, and music is the worst in the series, IMHO. Everything about the remake looks, sounds, and feels off. Got the bad ending, this first round. 34% clear according to my file. Time to get the rest of the secret stages, bosses, endings, upgrades, music files, etc.

At least it runs well off the mem stick and at 333mhz. Ditto with what little I've played of Rondo of Blood classic as well.

I'll try to get some pics of the preorder bonus in a little while. I have a shitty webcam though, so I probably won't be able to capture sufficient detail to truly show off the flaws.

Wish they would have included the SNES version of RoB as well, just for completion's sake.

The more I play Dracula X/Rondo of Blood the more I'm glad they don't make these kind of games anymore. This shit is hard, I can't believe when I was a kid I enjoyed these games.

mysticstylez said:
The more I play Dracula X/Rondo of Blood the more I'm glad they don't make these kind of games anymore. This shit is hard, I can't believe when I was a kid I enjoyed these games.

oh, they still make these kinds of games, they are just rare.

2073p93.jpg

Narag

Mejilan said:
It actually looks a little worse than that. If you look at it from ANY other angle than that, what little illusion of a 2D sprite there is within that shapeless blob of color vanishes.

Might as well not let the pics I took go to waste.

simonside.jpg

icecream said:
Are you saying that's a bad thing?

When you are accustomed to Castlevania games with upgradeable weapons/armor, stacks of potions and other healing items, multiple save points, yeah it's a bad thing.

Not bad in a way that it is a bad game. Bad as in I suck balls at these games nowadays.

Mejilan

Unlocked SotN. The new translation seems better now. But yikes at the new voices. Sound emulation sounds a tiny bit off. I recall my own PSOne conversion sounding better off the PSP.

Narag said:
Might as well not let the pics I took go to waste.

simonside.jpg

I have to wait for my GS to get in mine =(

...so I'll just pick it up next week when I pick up stranglehold...

and :lol at the evolving thread title

mysticstylez said:
When you are accustomed to Castlevania games with upgradeable weapons/armor, stacks of potions and other healing items, multiple save points, yeah it's a bad thing.

Greatly reduced challenge is a bad thing.

datamage

For those of you complaining about the difficulty, does it get exponentially harder after stage 5, cause I've made it there without a problem.

I think some of you are just weaksauce when it comes to platformers. :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
datamage said:
For those of you complaining about the difficulty, does it get exponentially harder after stage 5, cause I've made it there without a problem.

I think some of you are just weaksauce when it comes to platformers. :lol

It is funny because I actually found this game easier than Portrait of Ruin.

I STILL haven't beaten that game yet.

:lol

Symytry

anyone else in Canada not able to find the game anywhere today? EB told me the date was pushed back to October 31st or some stupid shit like that...

Lee N

Membre
Symytry said:
anyone else in Canada not able to find the game anywhere today? EB told me the date was pushed back to October 31st or some stupid shit like that...
I ordered my game from videogamesplus.ca and they shipped it yesterday.

Symytry said:
I still can't find it. I thought the EB people were lying to me so I locked them in their stores and burned them down. Unfortunately, if they did have Castlevania, I would have inadvertedly destroyed it, so I can't prove whether or not they were lying.

Dot50Cal

Banned
It was hard as hell for me to find too. I hit 8 stores, noone had it. Finally, I went to a gamestop that doesn't suck and they had it. Call around.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dot50Cal said:
It was hard as hell for me to find too. I hit 8 stores, noone had it. Finally, I went to a gamestop that doesn't suck and they had it. Call around.

A sell out! Hugely profitable success for the IGster.

Dot50Cal said:
We don't have Gamestop in Winnipeg. I think there's an honest-to-bejeezus near-nationwide holdup on the game.

Currently I blame Quebec, but I'm open to other suspects.

Mejilan

Just got the real ending, I've unlocked all stages, and I've upped my completion rate from 35% to 78%.

Symytry said:

I wasn't even given a potential new release date.

theultimo

Just picked this up yesterday, finally had a chance to play it.

Great so far, but even better because I have TV-out on Slim:
100_0642.JPG

Mejilan said:
I recall my own PSOne conversion sounding better off the PSP.
PS1 version sounded really lowres on PSP, DXC version seems to have proper sampling rate... alas some soundeffects have nasty higher pitch - like the axe thrown at ya.

Erdrick

Segata Sanshiro said:
We don't have Gamestop in Winnipeg. I think there's an honest-to-bejeezus near-nationwide holdup on the game.

Currently I blame Quebec, but I'm open to other suspects.

I also live in Winnipeg and was told by the EB clerk that "They delayed the game until Halloween since it was so close." I wanted to reply "But I know people have it." But, really, I guess I can wait a week. Quebec is also my suspicion (AGAIN.) since it's their language laws that really mess up releases here. I'm considering just ordering online but, hell, it's not like I don't have other games to play. I'm juggling Okami, Phoenix Wright 3 and FFT on the PSP, ATM as it is.

Top Bottom