• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (Official Thread of AWESOME) GO! PSP! GO!

Mar

Segata Sanshiro said:
The voice acting is frigging awful though, and there's no excuse for that in this day and age.

Have you played Virtua Fighter 5 or Halo 3? I'm more surprised when a game has good voice acting. Bioshock for instance is the first in a long time where I wasn't cringing at the voices.

Mar_ said:
Have you played Virtua Fighter 5 or Halo 3? I'm more surprised when a game has good voice acting. Bioshock for instance is the first in a long time where I wasn't cringing at the voices.
Halo 3 is a fucking live Shakespearean play as read by Patrick Stewart compared to this mess. It's not even close to acceptable, and it's obvious that (once again) Konami has opted to cheap out on anything not called Metal Gear.

Mar

Segata Sanshiro said:
Halo 3 is a fucking live Shakespearean play as read by Patrick Stewart compared to this mess.

:lol

Ok I have to give you props for that one. That was hilarious.

Granted, I haven't heard DXCs voice work yet (still waiting for my copy to ship). But I'm just never surprised to hear bad voice acting in a game. In fact I expect it.

Mar_ said:
:lol

Ok I have to give you props for that one. That was hilarious.

Granted, I haven't heard DXCs voice work yet (still waiting for my copy to ship). But I'm just never surprised to hear bad voice acting in a game. In fact I expect it.
I used to give it a pass, but these guys aren't even emphasizing the right words. You know in TV shows when the characters have to do some acting and they're really, really bad at it? That sort of purposeful shitty enunciation that is supposed to hammer home that the character on the show is a very bad actor? It's like that.

duckroll

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm on a regular PSP, which I just bought in May so it's not going anywhere. It's not a dealbreaker, since I bought this game for Rondo anyway, and that doesn't exactly use diagonals much.

That's odd. I've been playing through SotN on the package and I find the PSP d-pad very suited for the game. I've clocked 6 hours so far and I'm at the Reverse Keep now. My PSP is a launch JP model and it's so old the wifi is dead (turning on the switch doesn't do anything) and the analog nub fell off once (never found it) so I had to buy a replacement nub. Maybe the entire PSP being all banged up as it is makes the d-pad work better? ^^;

Mar

duckroll said:
That's odd. I've been playing through SotN on the package and I find the PSP d-pad very suited for the game.

I played through UG&G on Ultimate mode with the original PSP d-pad. I didn't have any real trouble except when I was flying, which gives full movement in all directions as opposed to when you're on the ground. I completely avoided the nub because people here in GAF said it was the worst thing since hairy man ass.

Well one day I decided to give it a try and I was fucking amazed. The nub worked perfectly and I could control my movement in all directions with ease. I have no idea how the nub got a bad reputation, it does its job just fine and is much better than the d-pad.

So in short. The d-pad is just fine until you need precise diagonal movement. If you need that movement, then just use the nub.

kiryogi

Banned
i finally got 5' down and finished the game up with the bad ending. 5' was tons of fun, but I won't lie that the music is rather irritating to listen to now. After tackling something like that though, nothing else was really of any problem anymore.

kiryogi said:
i finally got 5' down and finished the game up with the bad ending. 5' was tons of fun, but I won't lie that the music is rather irritating to listen to now. After tackling something like that though, nothing else was really of any problem anymore.
The pre-boss music?

Sagitario

Xaekid said:
http://www.camelotgames.net/

And yeah, we're gonna ask for a new one. That particular company doesn't have very good reputation with that though, I heard some stories like this before but personally it's the first time I have this kind of issue with them.

One thing's for sure: banned from now on regardless of what happens.

I've bought several times from them and their service is usually very good... I'm sure they will compensate in one way or another... use the forum of the site and complain...

¿Qué otras tiendas en línea utilizas para comprar?

No me gusta walmart porque es para los mexicanos que ay muy bastantes aqui in tejas. EBJuegos tienen muchos pendehos, pero tengo que ir a comprar juegos ayi(sp?). Me gusta pan.

Sagitario

InfectedZero said:
No me gusta walmart porque es para los mexicanos que ay muy bastantes aqui in tejas. EBJuegos tienen muchos pendehos, pero tengo que ir a comprar juegos ayi(sp?). Me gusta pan.

You don't like Walmart because it's for mexicans? WTF?

Nah, Im just kiddin. I worked at walmart. And Im 50% mexican. But most people who shop at Walmart are mainly mexicans. Since I live in Mexico, Tx. Which houses lots of mexicans. From the calculations I was able come up with a 7 to 8 ratio, 7 being the mexican. 1 being the whiteman. Honestly I dont know wtf. Its 4 am and I cant go to sleep and someone spoke spanish.

Sagitario

InfectedZero said:
Nah, Im just kiddin. I worked at walmart. And Im 50% mexican. But most people who shop at Walmart are mainly mexicans. Since I live in Mexico, Tx. Which houses lots of mexicans. From the calculations I was able come up with a 7 to 8 ratio, 7 being the mexican. 1 being the whiteman. Honestly I dont know wtf. Its 4 am and I cant go to sleep and someone spoke spanish.

It's OK, I get it... :p (that was kind of a strange thing to say though)...
I had no idea there was a town called Mexico in Texas :p ...

There isnt. Its actually San Antonio :p. But yeah. I use my spanish to my advantage and typically mock it since most people that are of hispanic community here dont know how to speak it which is hilarious. Plus I dont look mexican so I take that to my full advantage and keep my 2nd launguage as an undercover art.

Mar

InfectedZero said:
There isnt. Its actually San Antonio :p. But yeah. I use my spanish to my advantage and typically mock it since most people that are of hispanic community here dont know how to speak it which is hilarious. Plus I dont look mexican so I take that to my full advantage and keep my 2nd launguage as an undercover art.

A super power, if you will.

Xaekid

Farore said:
¿Qué otras tiendas en línea utilizas para comprar?

Ya mande un mail para notificarles de esto, veamos que dicen al respecto. Francamente espero que culpen a Estafeta pero creo que este problema no es atribuible a ellos ya que yo y un amigo pedimos 1 copia cada quien y solo una de ellas viene asi como la ves, la otra esta perfecta.

Y para comprar juegos, tengo 2 contactos. 1 en Mexicali y otro en el DF, es con ellos con quien he comprado la mayor parte de mis juegos en el ultimo año.

mosaic

go eat paint
One more reason dawned on me as to why some folks might find the original Rondo easier than the remake...

In the remake, Maria is dead in about 3 hits.

In the original, her life bar seems to be the same as Richter's. Mix that with her excellent attacks and that awesome double-jump, and well, yeah, a bunch of spots are gonna be cake.

My experience has been that the remake is easier with Richter, whereas the original is easier with Maria.

Por favor
drop the chalupa

Well ducky, who knows, maybe you broke your dpad in? I still have no end of trouble with QC and HC motions in SFZ3 and Vampire Chronicle as well. It's the diagonals that are failing me, and while I love the nub for some games, I'm just not feeling it in SotN.

It's really only affecting my spells (which are useless) and my downward slash (which is not). Still the worst controller I've used to play SotN though.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well ducky, who knows, maybe you broke your dpad in? I still have no end of trouble with QC and HC motions in SFZ3 and Vampire Chronicle as well. It's the diagonals that are failing me, and while I love the nub for some games, I'm just not feeling it in SotN.
If your PSP is out of warranty, you should try the d-pad mod.

mosaic said:
One more reason dawned on me as to why some folks might find the original Rondo easier than the remake...

In the remake, Maria is dead in about 3 hits.

In the original, her life bar seems to be the same as Richter's. Mix that with her excellent attacks and that awesome double-jump, and well, yeah, a bunch of spots are gonna be cake.

My experience has been that the remake is easier with Richter, whereas the original is easier with Maria.
I think you're just imagining things, Maria has a smaller lifebar in both the original and the remake. The point is that she's a lot more mobile than Richter so its pretty easy to make it through each stage without taking much damage, so there's no reason anyone should find her harder than Richter in either game.

lastendconductor

Defuser said:
Is it just me or I'm absolutely addict to remix of Cross Fear. Hell all the remix in the game fucking good.
No it's not just you :D .
Oh, and does someone know if you can unlock Cross your Heart/Crucifix Held Close for sound assign? that would be awesome.

MattG-PTB

I've been tearing through the game for six days now and it just keeps getting better. I love the remake, the original is as good as I'd hoped, and you just can't go wrong with SOTN. I hope this sells well because now I really want to see more Chronicles in the future. Simon's Quest demands a remake (but only if the in-game clues actually make sense this time!).

Ranger X

FINALLY Canada got it. (well, we got it in Quebec province)

My copy is waiting for me at Ebgames ---- THE ONLY STORE WITH ADJUSTED PRICING around here. Isn't it sad?

Bebpo

Banned
I tried playing SoTN for the first time in 5-10 years or something and...I can't really get into it :( I loved it back when it first came out, and even today the art is some of the best looking 2d out there and the music...so good. Even the gameplay is very solid for what it is.

...but after 3 days straight of playing Rondo remake/Rondo original and PoR before that, I just can't get back into the slow paced, no immediate danger, stab stab stab stab stab stab, gameplay. I get to the axe armors and coming from Rondo where they are psycho and run at you, they just seem so boring in SoTN. PoR was great because it was tough and moved fast like Rondo and I'm assuming that's the direction Metroidvania is going. Not sure if I'm a fan of the slower MV anymore...Rondo has spoiled me.

MattG-PTB said:
I've been tearing through the game for six days now and it just keeps getting better. I love the remake, the original is as good as I'd hoped, and you just can't go wrong with SOTN. I hope this sells well because now I really want to see more Chronicles in the future. Simon's Quest demands a remake (but only if the in-game clues actually make sense this time!).

And if they make the gameplay tougher and the puzzles/objectives more substantial.

Agreed with Bebpo about SotN. Playing it right now, and I remembered it as backtracky, but damn, is it backtracky!

Defuser

Bebpo said:
I tried playing SoTN for the first time in 5-10 years or something and...I can't really get into it :( I loved it back when it first came out, and even today the art is some of the best looking 2d out there and the music...so good. Even the gameplay is very solid for what it is.

...but after 3 days straight of playing Rondo remake/Rondo original and PoR before that, I just can't get back into the slow paced, no immediate danger, stab stab stab stab stab stab, gameplay. I get to the axe armors and coming from Rondo where they are psycho and run at you, they just seem so boring in SoTN. PoR was great because it was tough and moved fast like Rondo and I'm assuming that's the direction Metroidvania is going. Not sure if I'm a fan of the slower MV anymore...Rondo has spoiled me.

Bebpo before:
I'm not interested for hard danger in my face!!!

Bebpo after :
I craved hard danger in my face!!

Bebpo

Banned
Defuser said:
Bebpo before:
I'm not interested for hard danger in my face!!!

Bebpo after :
I craved hard danger in my face!!

Less about hard danger, more about speed. I've always been a big supporter of PoR despite a few flaws it has (shitty level design).

lastendconductor

Bebpo said:

Yeah, it's pretty ironic the most common complaint we are hearing about Rondo is that Richter moves too slow :lol . You may be able to run in metroidvanias, but you waste all that speed running through empty hallways... so basically the gameplay in Rondo is faster.

Xaekid

Well, got a reply from Camelot (or Cameltoe, that was funny) and they will replace my broken case in the next days.

Weeee. Time to play some Rondo of Blood.

_Angelus_

Banned
kiryogi said:

Wait...there's only 5 bosses and the game is over? Dayuuuum. I borrowed the game from a friend today,I'm already on the 4th stage. Truthfully I could give a shit about the other games included in this package,I just wanted to play remade Chronicles game.

Man I'm glad I didn't buy this,I'd have been pissed that the game is so short.
Money used towards Conan instead I guess.

Defuser

Angelus said:
Money used towards Conan instead I guess.
WORST TASTE EVER!!!

There is 8 stages

6 normal route bosses & 6 alternate route bosses. Stage 6 have 5 bosses.Dracula has 3 forms so that equals to 3 bosses. So in total there is 20 bosses. Not to mention you have to collect all the soundtracks so this game isn't exactly short.

_Angelus_

Banned
Defuser said:
WORST TASTE EVER!!!

There is 8 stages

6 normal route bosses & 6 alternate route bosses. Stage 6 have 5 bosses.Dracula has 3 forms so that equals to 3 bosses. So in total there is 20 bosses. Not to mention you have to collect all the soundtracks so this game isn't exactly short.

:lol I knew I was going to catch shit for mentioning the game,oh well it rocks to me so thats all I care about.

Well thats abit better with the new routes,though theyre not that big since I saw them on the selection map. I guess it adds replay value to a otherwise cool game,I like the oldschool gameplay,no rpg stuff,just platforming and hack and slashing all over the place.

mosaic

go eat paint
Angelus said:
Wait...there's only 5 bosses and the game is over?
Ummmm, wehaaat? You're asking about Rondo, right?

8 levels, 9 if you count the prologue, and 13 if you try and play all the alternate levels.
You'll encounter a boss at the end of each level. The boss you face will depend on which route you took. Level 6 is a mini boss rush with 5 different unique baddies. Factoring in level 6, at minimum, you'll have to face 12 unique bosses to finish the game once through. Someone correct me if my math is wrong, but I think that's the right count.

Oh, and just for the hell of it, if you go through enough times to rescue Maria, Annette, and the other two maidens, you'll get a better ending and get to fight Dracula's third form... which makes his first two seem laughable.

Not to mention the bitch hard 5-alt level and Hydra boss (new to remake) that become available once you beat the regular stage 5.

Edit: Crap, I type slower than Defusor. Heh.

_Angelus_

Banned
Well yeah I guess thats more replay value,though I would have prefered larger stages over more bosses. But the game is longer than I though so thats all that matters in the end.

I didn't mean to come off putting the game down or anything,its a great game,I like it allot. I do sirta suck though. The 3rd boss,the Minotaur kicked my ass so many times. The stages are just beautiful though,and I hate to see them be somewhat short is all,I want longer stages if you know what I mean. But the alternate routes are a nice touch so I'll be visiting the game more than I first thought.

mosaic

go eat paint
Also, GameFAQs turned out to be good for something... beat Boss Rush three times and the third bonus isn't another music track, but another original play mode: Rondo Peke

It's a weird, "Ballz-esque" stripped single level of Rondo that you get if you put the TurboDuo disc into a PCE that doesn't have system card 3.0 in it. Kind of a nutty bonus, but neat nonetheless.

Edit: Hmm, actually, some people got it on their first run... seems like beating boss rush quick will do the trick too. In any event, woot, bonuses!

Sagitario

Xaekid said:
Well, got a reply from Camelot (or Cameltoe, that was funny) and they will replace my broken case in the next days.

Weeee. Time to play some Rondo of Blood.

Good for you, Camelot has great costumer service...

i didn't think this deserved a new thread, maybe someone else does, whatever...

Dark_AleX said:
DraculaX Chronicles - SOTN fullscreen patch
I released this thing some days ago in a spanish forum but i forgot to do it here.

It is a patch to enable fullscreen in the Symphony of Night included in the game (note: only sotn, this doesn't patch Rondo of Blood).
It will replace the larger mode with the full screen one.

Instructions:

- Make an iso of the umd. (note: the iso must be decompressed, not cso, you can compress it after the patch if you want).
- run the program in the command line as "sotn_fs path_of_iso", and done, you can play SOTN at fullscreen.
Source: MaxConsole Forum

lastendconductor

I was annoyed at first by the fact that there is no full screen (hor. stretched) resolution for the original games, but I discovered you can change the borders, and with a rad one I think it's actually better. You got to keep the original ratio but don't get some fulgy washed black bars on the side. This patch came too late for me :p
Oh, and WTF is this rondo peke x crap :lol :lol :lol

mosaic said:
Also, GameFAQs turned out to be good for something... beat Boss Rush three times and the third bonus isn't another music track, but another original play mode: Rondo Peke

It's a weird, "Ballz-esque" stripped single level of Rondo that you get if you put the TurboDuo disc into a PCE that doesn't have system card 3.0 in it. Kind of a nutty bonus, but neat nonetheless.

Edit: Hmm, actually, some people got it on their first run... seems like beating boss rush quick will do the trick too. In any event, woot, bonuses!

So they found a way to include it, huh?

Guess I'll have to go through the boss rush after all, which I'll do after I finish cooling off from my initial playthrough of Dracula X remake.
That 3rd form of Dracula was hardcore.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Boss rush unlocks that one bonus gag stage and 8 music records, so it's pretty worth it.

Beat Normal x3, Dash x3, and Full x3.

Captain N

I'll be picking this up tomorrow with Silent Hill....

Does everyone want to see the new Castlevania on the PsP end up like the ones on the DS?

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Captain N said:
I'll be picking this up tomorrow with Silent Hill....

Does everyone want to see the new Castlevania on the PsP end up like the ones on the DS?

Whoa, what?

Did I miss the memo about the next Castlevania game being PSP exclusive?

In response to your question, I would like to see the Dracula X engine used for a metroidvania game. Of course, since Dracula X proves that a 2.5d plane works for the franchise, I would also like to see a brand new engine that takes this experience to a brand new level, especially when you consider that Dracula X isn't built from the ground up to run 333Mhz mode.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I imagine he's just talking hypothetically. The next CV is confirmed to be a DS game. To my knowledge, there is no other PSP CV announced. Yet.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Mejilan said:
I imagine he's just talking hypothetically. The next CV is confirmed to be a DS game. To my knowledge, there is no other PSP CV announced. Yet.

Well, the way the post was worded made it sound like a PSP castlevania game was announced. The post saying, "Does everyone want to see the new Castlevania on the PsP end up like the ones on the DS?" doesn't sound like it spoke of a hypothetical situation.

Top Bottom