• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Dracula X Chronicles (Official Thread of AWESOME) GO! PSP! GO!

Captain N

Hcoregamer00 said:
Whoa, what?

Did I miss the memo about the next Castlevania game being PSP exclusive?

In response to your question, I would like to see the Dracula X engine used for a metroidvania game. Of course, since Dracula X proves that a 2.5d plane works for the franchise, I would also like to see a brand new engine that takes this experience to a brand new level, especially when you consider that Dracula X isn't built from the ground up to run 333Mhz mode.

Well in an interview someone had said there would be another PsP Castlevania game if this one sold well...but nothing announced

Captain N said:
Well in an interview someone had said there would be another PsP Castlevania game if this one sold well...but nothing announced

Too bad.

Hopefully, if another one were to be announced(doubtful based on what I've seen of sales), it would be a new 'traditional' Castlevania rather than a 'Metroid-Vania'.

Bog

Junior Ace
Someone needs to tell the boys at Konami that there's a reason unforgiving, 2D platformers have sold like shit for the last 10 to 15 years. Hey, maybe I would've had time for this when I was 10. Sorry, kids, but now it's just not worth my time.

This one's going in the pile.

Mar

Bog said:
Someone needs to tell the boys at Konami that there's a reason unforgiving, 2D platformers have sold like shit for the last 10 to 15 years. Hey, maybe I would've had time for this when I was 10. Sorry, kids, but now it's just not worth my time.

This one's going in the pile.

There are still a lot of people who enjoy difficult 2D games. They are my favourite genre. But you are completely correct that they sell like shit.

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
Mar_ said:
There are still a lot of people who enjoy difficult 2D games. They are my favourite genre. But you are completely correct that they sell like shit.
This is exactly why I wish they had a team on this game capable of modernizing the game for the remake. There's no reason for new games to be difficult because the controls are stiff and the character feels awkward. It would've been a perfect opportunity to take some risks since x-amount of people were going to buy this for the port, anyway.

IzumiK

Banned
Hmm I'm not sure if I put in my review in this game.

This game was GREAT!

The original RoB was practically untouched with a bit of English voice work. I don't know what that early "bad emulation" was all about.

The SotN is also a perfect emulation with the retouched voice work. The voice acting is NOT retarded anymore and I love it. I still haven't gotten to Maria's play through too.

The Remake is the best part. It's definitely different from the original, all the extra bits of secrets and collecting made it refreshing. Spoilers beyond.
One part is in the 2nd last level where you save Annette and if you do it the original RoB style, it's the wrong way. That was great. And Dracula 3rd form fight was wicked and unexpected!
I like what they done with it. But I do feel that the remake is loads harder than the original. You seem to take more damage.

kuYuri

IzumiK said:
Hmm I'm not sure if I put in my review in this game.

This game was GREAT!

The original RoB was practically untouched with a bit of English voice work. I don't know what that early "bad emulation" was all about.

The SotN is also a perfect emulation with the retouched voice work. The voice acting is NOT retarded anymore and I love it. I still haven't gotten to Maria's play through too.

The Remake is the best part. It's definitely different from the original, all the extra bits of secrets and collecting made it refreshing. Spoilers beyond.
One part is in the 2nd last level where you save Annette and if you do it the original RoB style, it's the wrong way. That was great. And Dracula 3rd form fight was wicked and unexpected!
I like what they done with it. But I do feel that the remake is loads harder than the original. You seem to take more damage.

The only problem I have with these emus are that the sound effects don't sound like the original.

Kammie

Been playing this lately, and have been getting constantly frustrated! 2D-like controls with spatial grid movements can't work in a 3D game. There are so many cheap hits, and so many times where I'm trying to move half an inch and my character walks fully into a set of stairs and gets stuck there, awaiting to get hit. Grrr....

At this point I think I just want to unlock the original version and SOTN, and forget all about the remake.

Speaking of SOTN, here's a video I took from an anime convention that took place in Argentina yesterday, with Castlevania cosplayers. I couldn't believe I was seeing this crap in this backwards country. :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W37S8NLzPs

They didn't grasp the beauty and elegance of the "What is a man" part of the script, it seems, since they didn't use it. :(

Just beat Dracula. Unfortunately the script is different so there was no DIE MONSTER but this is still probably my handheld GOTY. (Oh wait, versus EXIT? Hard choice.) Little upset I won't unlock SOTN or Rondo until I
kill Shaft's ghost

HAOHMARU

Amir0x said:
i really gotta import the japanese update version of UG&G, supposedly it's even better

The JP UG&G is different than the US release? How so?

UG&G is awesome for $20. I still can't find all the rings to get the best ending though. I swear they list more rings than are actually in the game -_-

sagat2036

I own the pce version, cant play it my duo drive wont spin no mo, and just finished dracula's third form. Was freakin awesome!! man, this umd is pure gold.

I have yet to play english version of sotn. Got 200.5 on the japanese version long time ago. i still gots the save! geez i gettin old. :/

KTallguy

Banned
Amir0x said:
i really gotta import the japanese update version of UG&G, supposedly it's even better

It's fucking awesome. Get it.

The new magic, weapons, and other stuff is sweet.
Also I guess it eliminates the collection busy work.
It's waaay more beautiful than Castlevania too.

I just started playing, and not to be funny; but what is the difficulty of this one? I'm a bit weaksauce and this is pretty accommodating of me. I can resume from the last stage I lost on, and the only real challenge is in the repetition which is nothing compared to the good old days of cock'n ball torture gaming. :p

Still fun, but definitely not the daunting task I was lead to believe. Definitely not as hard as the original Castlevania.

Or perhaps it's because I'm an old codger that grew up on these sorts of games?

Defuser

The Take Out Bandit said:
I just started playing, and not to be funny; but what is the difficulty of this one? I'm a bit weaksauce and this is pretty accommodating of me. I can resume from the last stage I lost on, and the only real challenge is in the repetition which is nothing compared to the good old days of cock'n ball torture gaming. :p

Still fun, but definitely not the daunting task I was lead to believe. Definitely not as hard as the original Castlevania.

Or perhaps it's because I'm an old codger that grew up on these sorts of games?
Rondo is considered the easiest old school CV.

If I unlock it.

I could see how this game could be frustrating. The controls are very stiff or methodic. Without much room for adjusting jumps in mid-air, etc. PLus that stupid ass backward double jump - what douche thought that was a good idea?

More often than not I end up accidentally doing it when I don't want to. :lol

just beat the remake with the good ending. how do i get 5' unlocked?

also, the emulation of sotn isn't perfect -- there's some changed visual effects, and some transparencies are now solid colors. wtf!

I played Rondo via emulator a few years ago and now I'm playing the remake again... it's fun but I don't recall the game being this WEIRD. Maybe there's something about the 3rd dimension that makes it more jarring or something. I don't know. But there's some weird random curiosity in just about every screen. A random invincible crystal or random slave dude or random skeleton in a chair or random bell with meat in it or random locked door or random weird plant or random one-shot enemy. Every few steps there's something different and strange, something you'll probably never see again except that one particular screen, know what I mean? I dunno. Did I bump this thread just to post this rambling observation? Weird, fun game.

"Third level (actually the alternate route third level), it doesn't take long."

So I'm assuming that means you have to do something special then? I think I'm on the sixth or seventh level.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

So I'm assuming that means you have to do something special then? I think I'm on the sixth or seventh level.
You just have to find an item. I can't remember what it looked like.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

Almost every level in the game as an alternate version. Level 1, Level 2, Level 2', Level 3, Level 3', etc.

Once you've unlocked a level, you can always access it via stage select, so if you're thorough in your investigations, you'll unlock every stage and every secret/collectible/ending.

Thrakier

This game is frustrating me. Really. No fun. I hate playing whole levels again and again.

I unlocked SOTN and I'm not satisfied with the emulation. I have strange vertical bars in dark scenes, very visible when moving. this is not in the remake and not in any other game.

Tain

Even with a PSP running at 333, there's more slowdown than the original. Bad emulation.

edit: oh, that post is ancient.

iidesuyo

The game was just released in Europe, playing right now and trying to unlock SotN.

Weird how they used the German voice of Robert de Niro for the intro but couldn't afford to dub the rest of the game.

Lee N

Membre
iidesuyo said:
Weird how they used the German voice of Robert de Niro for the intro but couldn't afford to dub the rest of the game.
The intro is in German in all regions - just like the original.

iidesuyo

Lee N said:
The intro is in German in all regions - just like the original.

Ah ok... that's interesting. I never played the original game. Any reason for that? Is Dracula in Japan associated with Germany? Makes no sense to me.

I think they did a great job adapting Rondo to the PSP. They added enough additions and whatnot to whet any old-school Castlevania fans chops. That said, yeah, the emulated version of the original was a bit sloppy

Shawn

Banned
i'm returning this piece-of-trash game. all i want to play is SotN, and it's not even selectable at the title screen!

suikodan

Sorry for the mega bump but anyone playing SOTN via this game on the PSPGo have been experiencing freezing issues?

The game froze at two bosses who use electrical attacks. If they do that, the game will freeze.

Top Bottom