• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia preview (with screens and vids)

Oh my fuck this looks so damn good. Right now my favorite is still Super Castlevania IV, with Portrait of Ruin and Dawn of Sorrow trailing right behind that, and I think this will be better than POR and DOS, at least.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Game looks SO AWESOME.

Thematically, it's looking like this might be my favorite Castlevania. If the rest of the game holds up, it might just become my favorite overall!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
I was sold on the game by default, especially with a female lead.

Hearing that it may actually be a different kind of metroidvania is icing on the cake.

cartman414 said:
SantaC said:
wowowowowow looks amazing! It actually looks like it could exceed SotN. The graphics is probably the best since SotN also.[/IMG]

Already happened with the Sorrows.

I agree, Symphony of the Night is fantastic and was groundbreaking for the CV series, but I kind of see it the same way as I do Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess... OOT shaped it, and TP took it and made it even better, IMO. I think I'd say the same about the DS Castlevanias compared to SOTN.

brandonh83 said:
I agree, Symphony of the Night is fantastic and was groundbreaking for the CV series, but I kind of see it the same way as I do Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess... OOT shaped it, and TP took it and made it even better, IMO. I think I'd say the same about the DS Castlevanias compared to SOTN.

Yeah, though I don't regard OoT as highly as I do SotN, haven't entirely played TP yet, and would swap out PoR with AoS there. PoR just needed more expansive, exploration rewarding areas.

Sagitario

I can't wait for this game... the backgrounds loos awesome, so detailed...

Can't get enough 2D Castlevania :D ...

A Michiru Yamane is back...

I'm going to start replaying DoS and AoS as soon as I get my new Lite...

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Wow! :eek:

Awesome (cheap theatrics aside), he also does Ys III's Valestein Castle! And Ys II's To Make the End of Battle! And much more! :eek: :eek:

And Dragon Quest IV! And Sorcerian! :O :O :O

sennin

Ranger X said:
Well, i understand capitalism but it's not hard work that make me pay but GOOD work. I will not buy a boring movie because they worked hard on the fucking special effects. I will not buy a boring game because they've gone out of their way to make awesome high-res 2D sprites. I buy things because they are GOOD, because they entertain me. In gaming it's the gameplay that matters first. Ok it would be cool to not have re-used sprites but if i'm to play a nice Castlevania will new levels, new soundtrack, new everything and cool gameplay + nice level design, i will not care about the re-used sprites much.
If you're only looking for innovation and games that takes risks, you shouldn't be here wanting this game. Remember that innovation does not means "better" and that hard work doesn't mean a fun final product wich is what truly matters.

Cv is a game that is sparse on story, and heavy on gameplay, so unlike story intensive games (adventure and rpgs) there is no way to take shortcuts in evaluating its merits. You are prejudging the entire game based on a few screenshots and trailers, and are already sold on the game. You say essentially saying, "Order of Ecclesia is a good game, it has entertained me." and by saying this, you are expressing that the final product is out, and OoE has done its role in satisfying your need for entertainment. If you refute this, then the only logical conclusion is that a couple of screen-shots and trailers have sold you on the game. That's great for Konami in more ways than one. Not only have they secured an easy sale, they even have fans doing their PR work for them for free.

The dichotomy you've crafted is false. No one is asking for innovation, all we are asking for is improvisation. We don't need new monsters and levels, we simply want to see some effort in drawing the classic monsters and designing forests, caves, castles, towns in a new way. I'll be generous and allow innovation to be included in this discussion, and I'll go ahead to assert that the divide regarding inventing and quality is fallacious. They can, and have gone hand in hand. See: God of War 2, DMC 1 and 3, Rygar (PS2) and even Final Fantasy reinvents itself - Tonberries, Moogles and Airships are drawn differently, and used differently in different iterations of the FF IP.

Last but not least, You are NOT in a position to dictate what I can or cannot do with my money. Which Act, article or otherwise moral authority grants you this right? I have every right with voting powers called $ to ask for a series to pursue evolution - the right granted to every fan of any IP. I judge that, with current knowledge of the game, it is only worth $15, and not a cent more, as I'm paying for the new artwork and game mechanics. The moment I spot reused sprites, OoE's value has taken a plunge from the default $30 MSRP that holds true for most DS games. Unlike you however, I've never once imposed my standards on anyone. You are free to be ecstatic over regurgitated artwork, pay for your preconceived notion of quality and encourage sloth, no one here is telling you to take a hike because of that.

Teknoman

castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055604064.jpg

Wow.

SantaC

Anasui Kishibe said:
dude, seriously, just shut up

I shut up because I say the truth? The castlevania DS games, especially Dawn is among the highest ranked DS games. I think you should shut up

LALILULELO

Neo Member
so goddamn happy they ditched the anime cell look artwork from the other two DS versions, it just didnt fit with Castelvania. movies looked promising too.

TreIII

Well, I guess I can give IGA more of my money. :D

Having two hands at long last could make all the difference in giving this game much more fun combat system. Not to mention that the "CV2-ness" of it does seem to give it a different aura.

Now, if only they could have been bothered to use that year off to draw more sprites... :lol

pewye

Banned
TreIII said:
Well, I guess I can give IGA more of my money. :D

Having two hands at long last could make all the difference in giving this game much more fun combat system. Not to mention that the "CV2-ness" of it does seem to give it a different aura.

Now, if only they could have been bothered to use that year off to draw more sprites... :lol

you finally got a second hand? :lol

j/k

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
The reused sprites thing doesn't really bother me. I don't want to see staple enemies like skeletons and Medusa Heads disappear from the series, and I don't see the point to redrawing new sprites for these enemies when that time could be spend designing new enemies. Besides, it's not like the SotN sprites are bad or anything.

I do want to see new enemies, of course, but I'm not going to complain because the skeletons are the same as the ones in SotN.

Giard

I'm a huge fan of Metroidvanias as they're called...but this one isn't clicking with me for some reason.

Pojo

Banned
Another Castlevania game. I'm buying it, but it pains me to realize we'll never see a console entry again. Judgement, a game that will not sell and looks like it will suck anyway, is just the final slap to the face.

I've gotten to where I prefer them being on handhelds. They are so perfect for handhelds. It's not like the games would be much better on home consoles anyway, maybe in the graphics department (but probably not at the same time).

castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055602626.jpg

REAL TIME SHADOWS IN A 2D GAME?!
This is seriously beautful

Also the best artwork in the serious. A very nice mix of the old goth and the...anime style, but it works well

Ah I don't mind reused stuff, sure it would be nicer to have new stuff all the time but if it means they can still even make the damn games I'm happy. It'll still be awesome.

Nintendo could do this with Metroid all they wanted and I'd always lap it up.

Come on guys, look at those tities! Day 1 for sure.

Top Bottom