• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia preview (with screens and vids)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Portrait of Ruin is probably the weakest Metroidvania since Harmony of Dissonance. Though still leagues better than that swill. However, PoR probably has the best Castlevania soundtrack to date. It's worth playing, IMHO, it just doesn't compare to AoS/DoS.

Bringing the new tittie---I mean, assets, to the new page...

cw_sasuke said:
New Pics and Artworks

69001020080820_155925_0_big.jpg
69001020080820_155925_1_big.jpg

69001020080820_155925_2_big.jpg
69001020080820_155925_3_big.jpg

69001020080820_155925_4_big.jpg
69001020080820_155925_5_big.jpg

69001020080820_155925_6_big.jpg
69001020080820_155925_7_big.jpg

69001020080820_155925_8_big.jpg
69001020080820_155926_9_big.jpg

2782078274_93f53f4d11.jpg

2782078916_22cb6c10bb.jpg

WILF

KevinCow

Banned
Finally got around to playing Portrait of Ruin, and I have to say that the idea of an overworld map separated into smaller areas somewhat bothers me. That was my biggest issue with PoR, that the castle served basically as a hub and the smaller levels weren't nearly as interesting to explore. And in this game, it looks like they're going a step further and removing the hub world altogether and just going with a map screen.

I'm sure it'll still be good, just as PoR was, but I prefer exploring one big map.

Mejilan

What hurt PoR wasn't the hub world mechanic, IMHO, but the fact that fully half of the game's 8 stages (not including the castle hub) were rehashes of the other half. That just... hurt.

UltiGamer

Well, I am certainly looking forward to this game! It is really looking good. I can only assume it will have the standard boss rush modes and such as well. Those are a lot of fun, especially since the bosses are probably the best part of the games.

Steeven

Day one. Castlevania is one of my favorite series and always will be. One of the few games with an amazing OST too, really love the music.

Oh wow this is looking very nice. I have high hopes for this since the 3rd GBA CV was the best out of those releases, imo. They seem to do well on the first, stumble a bit with the 2nd, then bring what worked between them all with the 3rd. Or at least Aria of Sorrow felt like that.

Any word on what the pre-order swag might be?

Christopher

I've played recently SotN on PSN as well as the two DS games....and while they are enjoyable games, I can't help to think that the Castlevania games are "missing" something that just keeps them from being satisifing...I don't know what it is.

Zoramon089 said:
castlevania-order-of-ecclesia-20080711055602626.jpg

REAL TIME SHADOWS IN A 2D GAME?!
This is seriously beautful

Also the best artwork in the serious. A very nice mix of the old goth and the...anime style, but it works well

That is beautiful but I'm pretty sure it was done before in one of the earlier 'Vanias (SOTN I think) where you're walking in a cavern full of magma and the lava casts shadows of yourself and the enemies on the background. It looks much better done in that screenshot though.

Mejilan said:
What hurt PoR wasn't the hub world mechanic, IMHO, but the fact that fully half of the game's 8 stages (not including the castle hub) were rehashes of the other half. That just... hurt.

That was an unfortunate choice but I really didn't mind two of the rehashed worlds. I felt they changed enough with new enemies and color schemes to seem different from the originals but the other two rehashed worlds did suck. I still don't think PoR should be compared to HoD though, PoR was much, much better.

KevinCow

Banned
Saint Gregory said:
I still don't think PoR should be compared to HoD though, PoR was much, much better.
Really? I'd put HoD and PoR about even, and in the middle of the pack. Not as good as the best of the series (Aria and Symphony), but better than the worst (Dawn and Circle).

And of course I'm talking about Metroidvanias, not the Castlevania series as a whole.

KevinCow said:
Really? I'd put HoD and PoR about even, and in the middle of the pack. Not as good as the best of the series (Aria and Symphony), but better than the worst (Dawn and Circle).

And of course I'm talking about Metroidvanias, not the Castlevania series as a whole.

Objection!

I still find Dawn of Sorrow to be incredibly dull. *shrug*
The game is maybe a couple hours long but I still can't bring myself to beat it.

Mejilan

I could understand why someone would consider DoS superfluous from a story perspective. I agree, to a certain extent, and that's a shame because AoS had one of the best stories in CV-dom, IMHO.

But I loved the refined gameplay, and of course, DoS' J-Mode is still the best CV extra in the history of the franchise.

Hell, in some respects, I consider J-Mode to be superior. It's probably the first time a CV game had a full-blown alternate mode that felt like a full game instead of just a throwaway speed-run/mapped boss rush mode...

If you haven't experienced DoS' J-Mode yet, you really owe it to yourself. It's an awesome reward for beating the game.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Mejilan said:
I could understand why someone would consider DoS superfluous from a story perspective. I agree, to a certain extent, and that's a shame because AoS had one of the best stories in CV-dom, IMHO.

But I loved the refined gameplay, and of course, DoS' J-Mode is still the best CV extra in the history of the franchise.

Hell, in some respects, I consider J-Mode to be superior. It's probably the first time a CV game had a full-blown alternate mode that felt like a full game instead of just a throwaway speed-run/mapped boss rush mode...

If you haven't experienced DoS' J-Mode yet, you really owe it to yourself. It's an awesome reward for beating the game.

It is. J-mode was so much fun. You didn't need to worry about souls and stuff, it was beat ass and continue walking in style. The low-level run we did here continues to be one of my highlights in gaming. :D If you have DoS, try and beat the game so you can test out J-mode.

Oldschoolgamer said:
It is. J-mode was so much fun. You didn't need to worry about souls and stuff, it was beat ass and continue walking in style. The low-level run we did here continues to be one of my highlights in gaming. :D If you have DoS, try and beat the game so you can test out J-mode.

Yes, the awesomest mode ever.

Johnas

This game looks ace.

I'm really glad we've had two years since PoR; it makes this game even easier to anticipate, alongside the fact that there looks to be so much new about this one.

Hoping for an excellent soundtrack more than anything else at this point.

KevinCow

Banned
cartman414 said:
Objection!
Eh. I thought it felt like Aria with crappy level design, a horrendous art style, some really shitty power-ups (the one where you throw the doll specifically comes to mind; it had absolutely no use outside of letting you through arbitrary holes in walls), and tacked-on touch screen controls.

I only played it once though, back when it came out. Maybe I'd like it better if I played it again.

KevinCow said:

Well that's where are disconnect is then because HoD was my least favorite of the Metroidvanias and Dawn and Circle are actually two of my favorites. The card system from CotM is still the best battle system of the 'Vanias IMO and as Mejilan pointed out DoS's gameplay improvements over AoS makes it hard not to rank it near the top of my list.

KevinCow

Banned
What was so bad about Harmony? I thought it was great. I really liked the subweapon/book thing, and using the shoulder buttons to dash in either direction instead of only backwards. It also had a bunch of unique and memorable bits, like swinging a giant hammer to send an armor flying back to destroy a wall, that made me laugh my ass off. Its level design was a bit weaker than Aria and Symphony, but I thought it was still some of the best in the series. Plus the whip focus differentiated it from most of the rest of the series, and I thought it felt far better than in Circle;.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Love the direction of the art this time around. Anyone know who the artist is doing the character portraits and illustrations? Does said artist have a website or more pics?

Mejilan

It was slow, the jumping felt off, the art was largely garish, and the music was absolutely awful. Basically NES/GB quality at times. It felt like a severely stripped down SotN clone, when such was basically impossible on a GBA. Later Metroidvanias (starting with the GBA's own AoS) successfully pulled off their own gimmicks and unique mechanics in a better fashion, IMHO.

That said, it wasn't a terrible CV game by any measure. I do consider it to be the crappiest Metroidvania of the bunch, and probably the crappiest 2D CV, franchise-wide.

Mejilan said:

I haven't beaten Dawn Of sorrow yet (currently playing it.)

But is the J-Mode the same as how you can use Julius in Aria of Sorrow?

bounchfx

Oh man, I forgot about this game for a little. Now it's back in full force. I can't freaking wait.

one of the few types of games that I will play non stop from the moment I get it until I beat it, then possibly play again right after. I don't do that too often nowadays.

Mejilan

flintstryker said:
I haven't beaten Dawn Of sorrow yet (currently playing it.)

But is the J-Mode the same as how you can use Julius in Aria of Sorrow?

Not even close. You use a party of 3, which includes Julius, Yoko, and fucking Alucard. They each have their own uses and abilities. You can swap them in and out and switch at whim. They all level up as well. No equipment or souls though. It's magnificent.

Mejilan said:
Not even close. You use a party of 3, which includes Julius, Yoko, and fucking Alucard. They each have their own uses and abilities. You can swap them in and out and switch at whim. They all level up as well. No equipment or souls though. It's magnificent.
Fuck that sounds awesome :D

I am gonna have to finish this soon then.

jax (old)

Banned
I love these games. Own all the 2D castlevanias - I did a DS games I didn't play sale awhile back and all the castlevanias survived the purge. Can't wait!!!

Reading through this discussion a few things occur to me.

1. CotM doesn't get the credit it deserves. Besides some janky character animation and palette swapping on the sprites it's actually a very good game. The castle layout and platforming elements are actually stronger than any of the Metroidvanias that followed, and the difficulty is the most balanced of the handheld games. It could also be argued that the DSS system had more depth than the souls of AoS and DoS. I also think this is the last game that felt like a true blue Castlevania, which is more difficult to quantify, but I suppose comes down to theme and structure of individual areas. Wasn't it also the last 2D Castlevania developed by KOEI? With each sequel Iga's hand became increasingly apparent in some of the more redundant aspects of the gameplay.

2. For all the talk about HoD being a SotN "clone" the much touted AoS isn't any better in this regard. If HoD used half the areas from SotN, then AoS is basically the other half. HoD was actually a good game, but it had two major shortcomings. The first was the bosses, which were completely uninspired compared to the other handheld titles. The other major flaw was that the warp points only allowed travel between the same spot in each of the two castles. This made backtracking a chore if you stumbled off the beaten path in a search for hidden items. That being said, the game had some great backgrounds, much better than the mind-numbingly pastel locals seen in AoS. It also featured a handful of great environmental puzzles or events that I think people forget about or neglect to mention when they cull over the weaker parts of the game.

3. Portrait of Ruin is probably tied with HoD as weakest Metroidvania in my eyes, although I don't consider either of them bad by any stretch of the imagination. My reasons for placing them so low on the totem are virtually opposite though. While HoD had strong exploration elements (barring the warp issue) and weak bosses, PoR has the weakest exploration bar none, but amazing bosses. How much you like PoR basically depends on what you're looking from in a Castlevania game. If you're a fan of boss rush modes, then it's the game for you, because PoR basically is a boss rush with some pointless fodder thrown in-between. That's great if slaying crazy segmented monsters in your main thing, but if you like the series for exploration or platforming you're better off with other titles. As far as clever level design there's nothing to see here.

stalker

GrotesqueBeauty said:
........The other major flaw was that the warp points only allowed travel between the same spot in each of the two castles.

I remember warp points between different areas apart from the ones that sent you from A to B. Maybe I'm wrong, not sure.

stalker said:
I remember warp points between different areas apart from the ones that sent you from A to B. Maybe I'm wrong, not sure.
I think the very first warp point does that, and there may be another odd one out like that, maybe two. None of them cycle between all warp points to give you full freedom to move around the castle though.

stalker said:

It's been forever since I played HoD but I'm almost sure that there were two kinds of warp points too. It's true though that I may remember disliking HoD so much because it followed so closely behind CotM (which I loved) and the music sucked so badly. I still have it somewhere so maybe I'll give it another run through before OoE comes out.

I think that I play the 'Vanias mostly for the music which would explain why I rank them the way that I do.

Oh, and I remember HoD being really short compared to the others. Is that acurate?

Yet another imitation of SOTN? You know, this might be to Judgment's benefit, because it's not the same game we've been playing since 1997.

That's not to say repetition is bad thing, but a dozen games is fucking pushing it.

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I think the very first warp point does that, and there may be another odd one out like that, maybe two. None of them cycle between all warp points to give you full freedom to move around the castle though.
Yes they do, you have to press "down" (instead of "up") to warp to a different one. Still, the connectivity is really bad in HoD until the very end.

Oh! My Car! said:
Yet another imitation of SOTN? You know, this might be to Judgment's benefit, because it's not the same game we've been playing since 1997.

That's not to say repetition is bad thing, but a dozen games is fucking pushing it.

I'd agree but I don't really want Konami trying to change the fomula unless they're really serious about it this time. They seem to throw less than nothing in terms of resources at the 3D games and untill they're ready to give it the A team treatment I say "if it aint't broke.." you know the rest.

lyre

Oldschoolgamer said:
Fighting Penis demon with level 4 Alucard > all other boss battles.

KevinCow said:
Eh. I thought it felt like Aria with crappy level design, a horrendous art style, some really shitty power-ups (the one where you throw the doll specifically comes to mind; it had absolutely no use outside of letting you through arbitrary holes in walls), and tacked-on touch screen controls.

I only played it once though, back when it came out. Maybe I'd like it better if I played it again.
64nxxy.gif
<<< then explain plz.

And I dunno about you, but Puppet Master soul (ie, throw and warp) is one of the best skills in the entire series, including all the skills in SotN. Jump in the air, throw it across the room, skip a shitload of enemies; the reach goes farther with Skeleton Ape soul. If anyone was to do a low level Soma run in Dawn of Sorrow, Skeleton Ape + Puppet Master combination will clear house. Combine this with Black Panther, you'd hardly do any actual fighting.

Top Bottom