• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Castlevania Portrait Of Ruin (DS) thread

Stage On

I'm not worried, my local ebgame story (In Ontario canada) said that becuse I had preordered the game I didn't have to worry about getting my preorder bonous and could pick it up when I came to pick up the the game.

I'm expecting they'll have it tommorow since today is pretty much the shipping date. That's about par for the course around here as only the most major games and system launch games are there the first day they become available.

Johnas

Duder at my local GS looked it up and told me it shipped today, should be in-store tomorrow. So it looks like those weeklong delay rumors were just that.

castle007

Banned
According to the review:

only 8 stages. And the last 4 are remixed from the first four
WTF

unlockable COTM battle coliseum
Sounds cool

all blemonts make an appearance in the game

I know that most you already know this info. But I didn't because I kept myself away from spoiling the game.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
dabookerman said:
btw, does the US version have the option to switch between english and japanese voices?

Yes, via code input.

And not all
Belmonts make an appearance in
the game. =(

TreIII

castle007 said:
According to the review:

WTF

Not quite...

It is true that the same tiles and textures are re-used again for basically new areas later on...but they are indeed NEW areas. Not inverted, flipped or whatever, but actually bonafide new areas. Calling them mere remixes severely understates them, in my opinion...

FoxSpirit

And why is that? Yeah, they tend to give high scores but the reviews are always spot on for me... and not the usual nag-fests and "it's too much like the one before".

castle007

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
And why is that? Yeah, they tend to give high scores but the reviews are always spot on for me... and not the usual nag-fests and "it's too much like the one before".

they are so bad, that they are censored on GAF

FoxSpirit

*treads risky ground*

Or maybe some GAFfers simply dislike non ripping reviews?
Or have YOU been satisfied with recent reviews on GS, IGN or 1UP recently? I know I have not.

FoxSpirit

Strange, I heard XS3 was pretty good.... right here on GAF no less :lol

Oh wait, gamesarefun also gave it 9/10. And rpgfan had 89/93 scores. rpgamer 4.5/5.

Goddamn, what a sucky game :lol

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
I agree. I hate it when a review says X game is just more of the same. Well duh! I wouldn't buy it otherwise!

TreIII

dabookerman said:
Excellent, but what do you mean by code input?

Hold the L Button as a you begin a game in order to get the other voice track. You gotta do this everytime you start up a game, whether it be, continuing from a save, or even starting again after getting killed.

Still, a small price to pay, eh? This perhaps truly is the fan-service CV...and it's all the better a game for it.

Of course....it doesn't have stop there.

The latest scoop is that the same person who disclosed the info on CV: POR months in advance now has the word on the latest CV meant to be release, and is trickling it to us by every so often.

This week's blurb is...."CV: DCW".

If you're a true fan of the series, you should get what that acronym should entail...

Demon Castle War! The much-alluded 1999 battle! Julius at the "First Prime" of his life!

:D

castle007

Banned
FoxSpirit said:
Strange, I heard XS3 was pretty good.... right here on GAF no less :lol

Oh wait, gamesarefun also gave it 9/10. And rpgfan had 89/93 scores. rpgamer 4.5/5.

Goddamn, what a sucky game :lol

:lol :lol :lol

LevelNth

Banned
Bebpo said:
lol, worst site ever for reviews.
I'm not sure if you guys even know all the other reviews, but seriously, 'Gamer', whoever he/she is, needs to go. He/she completely drags down and disjoints the rest of the crew and the site's cohesion, can't write to save his/her life, and simply put, has some of the most awful and nonsensical taste I've ever seen. It certainly doesn't help that he/she seems to review the most titles either.

castle007

Banned
TreIII said:
Hold the L Button as a you begin a game in order to get the other voice track. You gotta do this everytime you start up a game, whether it be, continuing from a save, or even starting again after getting killed.

Still, a small price to pay, eh? This perhaps truly is the fan-service CV...and it's all the better a game for it.

The latest scoop is that the same person who disclosed the info on CV: POR months in advance now has the word on the latest CV meant to be release, and is trickling it to us by every so often.

If you're a true fan of the series, you should get what that acronym should entail...

Demon Castle War! The much-alluded 1999 battle! Julius at the "First Prime" of his life!

WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT

finally!!!! I wonder what system it will be on. I hope IGA doesn't butcher it in 3D!!!! The is game needs online co-op!!!! It is necessary. If you played CV:AOS you should know why

FoxSpirit

Well, let's just stop and let my phrase my opinion: "If the game has too much of 2 other good Castlevanias and little new, it's a great game in my book".

So gogo Portrait of Ruin :D

TreIII said:

You are fantastic.
Can't wait for this.

castle007

Banned
I am just wondering how the term
"Demon Castle War"
began??? I have heard many people use it, but I just never liked it. Is it fan made??? Or is it used in The library in the Dawn of Sorrow menu??? I don't have Dawn of Sorrow with me, so I can't check. I am used to referring to that event as
the 1999 events
. I don't visit the CV: Dungeon that much because they post lots of spoilers from new games :lol

Rexaur

Stage On said:
I'm not worried, my local ebgame story (In Ontario canada) said that becuse I had preordered the game I didn't have to worry about getting my preorder bonous and could pick it up when I came to pick up the the game.

I'm expecting they'll have it tommorow since today is pretty much the shipping date. That's about par for the course around here as only the most major games and system launch games are there the first day they become available.

I hope you're right on this one. I'm in Ontario too, and I guess the person who was at the counter was new (seemed like it) and had no clue about the pre-order. Today when I went in, I was told "maybe".

I really hope I'm not screwed out of this awesome deal.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
My copy from amazon.com is being prepared for shipping.

Only $29.99 no tax and free 2 day :D <3 Prime.

:eek: upgraded to DHL Next Day ,<3

hitsugi

have anyone's orders from GS or EB.com actually shipped? everone i know is still in the processing phase that it's been in for days now

Oneself

Pedobear said:
Yeah. But the delay is for Canada. Not the US.

Canada - 12th
Quebec - 15th

Went today to the local EB (in Québec) and the date is set for tomorrow (even though I highly doubt it cause last week they had those dates you wrote)...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
castle007 said:
According to the review:

WTF

What Tre III said.
It's more like the same environment, but everything else is different...a lot of the layouts, enemies, music, etc. are not the same.

Lyte Edge said:
What Tre III said.
It's more like the same environment, but everything else is different...a lot of the layouts, enemies, music, etc. are not the same.

That does have me a bit worried... the other portable games had such diverse level design. We'll see.

TreIII

brandonh83 said:
That does have me a bit worried... the other portable games had such diverse level design. We'll see.

It really shouldn't, honestly. I mean, when you consider how much copy-pasta DoS used alone (and yet, that 1up reviewer thought IT was some how superior to PoR)...:lol

So, chances are, if you thought DoS had diverse levels in spite of that notion I listed, you'll be fine...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
TreIII said:
It really shouldn't, honestly. I mean, when you consider how much copy-pasta DoS used alone (and yet, that 1up reviewer thought IT was some how superior to PoR)...:lol

Wait...wait...WAIT! What the ****?! PoR SPANKS DoS all over the place. You've got to be kidding me! :)

my order status page at bn.com said:
Shipping Method: Standard
This part of your order is expected to ship on December 30, 2007
Description Quantity Shipping Status Gift Options Additional Discount Total Price
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin with Bonus!

Konami
Nintendo DS Game
Cannot be Removed
Not Yet Shipped

WHAT THE ****

Sagitario

Ignore that, I emailed GS and they said that my order will ship on December 5th (it has Dec/30/07 too)...

Has B&N charged you yet? They haven't charged me...

Lyte Edge said:
What Tre III said.
That's not too bad. Though I wasn't a real big fan of DoS's level designs.

Johnas

Just got the phone call a while ago. No mention of the preorder bonus, but I'm not worried about it.

So will the handheld GOTY thread get stickied? It's only right.

hitsugi

gamestop order status -

premium, Castlevania Gift Set INET 1 Shipped $0.00
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin 1 Shipped $34.99

thank you god. hopefully i'll see it in time for the weekend =\

castle007

Banned

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/action/ca...in/review.html

The Good: Team mechanic puts a new twist on the familiar Castlevania formula; tons of weapons, items, and secrets to find; a handful of fantastic boss battles; excellent music; great-looking environments, character designs, and animations.

The Bad: Level design is slightly dull compared to previous Castlevania games; there are only three short levels available for co-op play.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Why the **** has mine not shipped yet. And why the **** was I charged $39.99 for it instead of $34.99?

TreIII

hitsugi said:
gamestop order status -

premium, Castlevania Gift Set INET 1 Shipped $0.00
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin 1 Shipped $34.99

thank you god. hopefully i'll see it in time for the weekend =\

Same here. But unfortunately, unless what that guy said earlier is true (when they said it shipped is not necessarily the actual period that they shipped it), I'm expecting to see this no sooner than next Monday, currently.

...Which means I'll probably get a few hours of quality time in before I SHOULD be studying for finals... ^^;

MrDaravon

Thank God mine finally shipped, damn.

Mejilan said:
Why the **** has mine not shipped yet. And why the **** was I charged $39.99 for it instead of $34.99?

You ordered through B&N, which by default added a middleman, and an extra layer of confusion, especially when the price changes and there's a preorder bonus.

Top Bottom