• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catalan Independence Referendum(1-O) - The aftermath

Javier23

Banned
The Kingdom of Spain. The Republic of Catalonia.
I wanted to say Loyalists initially but the king of Spain's latest remarks tempt me so. Please understand.
Lmao, I'm sure that every non-separatist is so out of unwavering loyalty to the royal crown. Come on, give me a break. Our king is little more than a mouthpiece, the idle embodiment of a symbol.

Theonik

Well yeah, but that's because it was done unilaterally by Catalonia, obviously they are going to apply the conditions that best give them the chance to declare independence. I would imagine that leave winning by 1 vote would be all it takes for them to say its legit. So I wouldn't really give much weight to the stipulated rules (especially considering it seems that people could vote multiple times!)

And don't remind me about Brexit! So many things about that referendum were handled absolutely awfully
I mean, you had Farage call for a 60:40 requirement when he thought he'd lose and then talk about the will of the people the morning after. That's always how it goes. It doesn't make the result any less valid though. It's just something to keep in mind I suppose. Things could have gone very differently here if the Spanish authorities didn't think rebellion busting with batons was the right path but here we are.

Lmao, I'm sure that every non-separatist is so out of unwavering loyalty to the royal crown. Come on, give me a break. Our king is little more than a mouthpiece, the idle embodiment of a symbol.
I'm glad you found that amusing.

Magni

Can a newly independent state just declare that they are joining the EU? Doesn't the EU have a say in who joins with certain criteria for joining? Has the EU indicated they would accept the new state?

Since a gazillion people quoted me, I should have mentioned more clearly that I didn't think what I was posting was feasible (at least, not in the current context) - I was saying I thought it was ideal (or at least, my personal ideal, since I am for a Europe of regions).

Clearly, in today's world, the EU would never agree to such a thing. But I do think they need to be involved in the dialogue between the central Spanish government and the regional Catalonian government.

No. And they wouldn't be using its military against its citizens.

Do you mean that Catalans are not Spanish citizens? Or that the Spanish government wouldn't deploy troops in Catalonia?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
-1x-1.png

”The political situation is a pain in the neck for these banks," Cesar Molinas, founder of Multa Paucis, an investment consultancy firm, said in an interview. ”They don't want clients in Madrid to see them as Catalan banks, nor clients in Barcelona to see them as Spanish banks. They're treading on thin ice."

CaixaBank and Banco Sabadell shares both fell about 5 percent on Wednesday in the biggest declines in more than a year. Managers at CaixaBank private banking in Madrid -- echoing de Guindos's attempts at reassurance -- have been proactively calling customers to discuss the situation in Catalonia and dispel concerns, according to one private-banking client, who asked not to be identified discussing the matter.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...torn-on-who-to-bank-with-amid-secession-fears

Tiamant

A message from Ada Colau, Major of Barcelona, posted on Facebook:

The government of the PP persists in its lies. It continues to deny what is obvious to the international press and to everyone who has seen the images of the police crackdown on October 1 in Catalunya: that there was violence, brutality, viciousness.

For many years, the right-wing in Spain has created a false and distorted image of what is happening in Catalunya. They speak of totalitarianism, of a broken society, of a population cowed by violent separatists. Even the words they choose are not neutral. “Seditious” and “separatist” are not descriptive terms but rather are highly charged. They begin by dehumanizing the other with these words … and they end by beating elderly women in the doors of schools, and calling this behaviour “professionalism”, “proportionality” and “defence of democracy”.
When there are two very different versions of the same reality, it is best to analyse the facts.

It is a fact that on October 1, 844 people were injured. One of them has lost an eye…proportionality? What is proportional to an eye? What is proportional to pushing a woman down stairs? To grabbing elderly women by the hair? To the fear that children felt and still feel at seeing their schools damaged?
I am not in favour of independence for Catalunya, and I do not support unilateral actions. I have said this many times and I say it again. I am very critical of the government of Puigdemont and I do not like how things have been handled. But there is something which rises above our individual opinions and which should unite all of us who believe in and defend rights, freedom and democracy: the use of state violence against a peaceful population cannot be tolerated.

Today the government spokesman has called the Catalans who demonstrated against the police repression “Nazis”. Again, the words … Nazis? Is Mr. Hernando aware of what the Nazis did? Did the Nazis demonstrate peacefully for years to secure the right to vote? Did the Nazis protect schools while hundreds of police beat them? The thousands of men and women, young and old, who today have filled the streets chanting “We are people of peace” are really “Nazis”? Using the word “Nazi” so carelessly is an insult to the victims of Nazism and Mr. Hernando should be ashamed.

If what I am writing manages to cross informational borders, if people outside of Catalunya read it and want to know what is happening here, I would respectfully ask them to attempt to analyse this conflict with an open mind. I would dare them to question what is being said by government spokespeople, what is being denied and, even worse, what is being justified.

We are facing a state crisis without precedent and I am concerned about the complete impasse in the relationship between the Catalan and Spanish governments. But what would be truly tragic would be if we allow the many ties of fraternity and affection that unite us, the people, to be fractured. We cannot allow this.
We have been hit. We have been hurt. It will not be easy to forget this. We need your support.

What has happened violates the fundamental rights and freedoms of all of us: Catalans, Spaniards, Europeans…Today it is Catalunya, but tomorrow it may be anywhere if we accept this and it goes unpunished. If we justify it, we are lost. Everyone loses. Democracy loses.
Our fathers, mothers and grandparents who together fought for democracy would not forgive us. For them, for their legacy, let us join together to save democracy, to remove from their posts those people who ordered this crackdown and who are incapable of seeking political and peaceful solutions. Those in government must listen, must respect the people, must put forth positive proposals and alternatives and, above all, must never act against an unarmed population.

Metal B

This is almost ridiculous in how much it excuses tyranny. I presume you don't recognise those views as authoritarian?

Sorry, I find it hard to empathise with beliefs that place people second to systems.
It's authoritarian, if a person or a party is above the law.

Spanish law does not prescribe police to brutalize the citizens. The police and the people who gave them orders committed a gross abuse of power and should face consequences for it. Some of those people should be getting prison sentences.

In comparison, the Catalan government should face a potential fine for holding a referendum out of order.

Theonik

No, being authoritarian is strictly about what the law is...

EVERY SINGLE LEGAL SYSTEM IN THE HISTORY OF HUMANITY has people above the law by its definition and when that is not strictly the case, it pertains to its institutions. After all a cornerstone of a modern state is its exclusivity to the use of violence. It is why Sovereign Immunity, is a principle of international law. Because it's silly to expect the law to obey the law when it writes the law. In states with a written constitution part of the aim is to restrict the authority of the sovereign government for this purpose, to prevent them from taking certain legal actions thought to be too authoritarian or harmful to the state.

Spanish law does not prescribe police to brutalize the citizens. The police and the people who gave them orders committed a gross abuse of power and should face consequences for it. Some of those people should be getting prison sentences.

In comparison, the Catalan government should face a potential fine for holding a referendum out of order.
Law enforcement is probably the classic example here as their nature as enforcement of the law grants them power above the law and there is seldom any higher de-facto authority to bind them.

Metal B

Spanish law does not prescribe police to brutalize the citizens. The police and the people who gave them orders committed a gross abuse of power and should face consequences for it.
As policemen you can use violence if necessary to stop a crime and this is what happend. What would you do, if a crowd of 30 people oppose you and don't back up after warning them? Also with each minute they grow in number and you're only advantage are non-lethal weapons. Violence is a tool of the police (it should just be the last one).

There were properly some cases, where the police went overboard and actually use to much violence against some of those illegal voters (which is a crime). But the police using violence itself, isn't police brutality.

Theonik

As policemen you can use violence if necessary to stop a crime and this is what happend. What would you do, if a crowd of 30 people oppose you and don't back up after warning them? Also with each minute they grow in number and you're only advantage are non-lethal weapons. Violence is a tool of the police (it should just be the last one).

There were properly some cases, where the police went overboard and actually use to much violence against some of those illegal voters (which is a crime). But the police using violence itself, isn't police brutality.
There is nothing to make these voters breaking the law. Not even the shitshow that Spain is at the moment, makes voting illegal and the fact that you a) think that's the case and b) think that would be OK frankly says more things about you than of those 'criminals'. The people conducting the vote and the Catalan government were in violation of Spanish law. But the same comment applies.

Also did you just inadvertently claim the police is above the law?
t0pBEm4.png

It depends on the crime as you well know. You don't use a level of force that injures hundreds to stop something as peaceful as voting out of order. It is greatly disproportionate and thus an abuse of power.

Of course, you may say that you wish for a society where such violence is appropriate and encouraged. In that case I can only say that I want to be as far away from that society as possible.

Metal B

No being authoritarian is strictly about what the law is…

EVERY SINGLE LEGAL SYSTEM IN THE HISTORY OF HUMANITY has people above the law by its definition and when that is not strictly the case, it pertains to its institutions. After all a cornerstone of a modern state is its exclusivity to the use of violence. It is why Sovereign Immunity, is a principle of international law. Because it's silly to expect the law to obey the law when it writes the law. In states with a written constitution part of the aim is to restrict the authority of the sovereign government for this purpose, to prevent them from taking certain legal actions thought to be too authoritarian or harmful to the state.
And? Those are exceptions given by the law, so that people can govern a state and enforce the law. Yes, it's a paradox, but it's part of the law! There is a difference between stying above the law and given special powers by the law.
In a authoritarian ruling, it would be the person or party, who would give out those exceptions, so they can go around enforcing their laws.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Let's not get ridiculous here. There is nothing illegal about putting a piece of paper into a paper/plastic/metal box.

What's illegal here is spending public money on organising illegal activities.

Theonik

And? Those are exceptions given by the law, so that people can govern a state and enforce the law. Yes, it's a paradox, but it's part of the law! There is a difference between stying above the law and given special powers by the law.
In a authoritarian ruling, it would be the person or party, who would give out those exceptions, so they can go around enforcing their laws.
In a totalitarian regime the law is concentrated on one person but a Totalitarian system is not inherently an Authoritarian one and similarly a Liberal system can be Authoritarian if its laws are. Not sure where the confusion is. Of course, Totalitarian regimes usually descent to Authoritarianism as to preserve themselves. Liberal regimes can also degenerate by losing their liberal values too in much the same way.

What you are saying is total nonsense too because most legal systems at least aim for an illusion of legality in police actions /because/ it's very difficult to justify the excessive use of force of the police morally. It is just the inherent corruption of authority that makes it otherwise.

Metal B

There is nothing to make these voters breaking the law. Not even a shitshow as Spain is at the moment makes voting illegal and the fact that you a) think that's the case and b) think that would be OK frankly says more things about you than of those 'criminals'. The people conducting the vote and the Catalan government were in violation of Spanish law. But the same comment applies.
By Spanisch law they broke the law, that is why the police was sent out. You can hate the law, but the police just did there job (some got properly overboard, i don't think, that just innocent people work for them ...). Hate the game and the players.

Also did you just inadvertently claim the police is above the law
No, the police good permission by the law to use violence if necessary to enforce the law. That's there job and that why they get combat-training and weapons. Do you think, they are for show?

It depends on the crime as you well know. You don't use a level of force that injures hundreds to stop something as peaceful as voting out of order. It is greatly disproportionate and thus an abuse of power.

Of course, you may say that you wish for a society where such violence is appropriate and encouraged. In that case I can only say that I want to be as far away from that society as possible.
Welcome to the desert of the real. Violence is part of any society right now, unless you life in a dream world. It's fantastic, that we don't need much of it anymore and we don't see it much in the open (at least for us lucky ones), but it's still a part of law enforcement and protecting boarders of society. It's naive to think otherwise ...

Let's not get ridiculous here. There is nothing illegal about putting a piece of paper into a paper/plastic/metal box.
What's illegal here is spending public money on organising illegal activities.
And taking part of an illegal organized illegal activity.

In a totalitarian regime the law is concentrated on one person but a Totalitarian system is not inherently an Authoritarian one and similarly a Liberal system can be Authoritarian if its laws are. Not sure where the confusion is. Of course, Totalitarian regimes usually descent to Authoritarianism as to preserve themselves. Liberal regimes can also degenerate by losing their liberal values too in much the same way.
Ok can be that the language barrier fucks over me here by the exact terms.

Theonik

By Spanisch law they broke the law, that is why the police was sent out. You can hate the law, but the police just did there job. Hate the game and the players.
The crime was not the voting. The Catalan authorities were supposedly prosecuted for embezzlement. The people getting beat up in the streets would probably go for obstruction of justice or similar acts, but why do you think most of the voters are not brought upon with charges? If there was a crime being committed then one as dedicated to the law as yourslef should surely think that this should be settled in the courts.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
And taking part of an illegal organized illegal activity.

That's a stretch. It wouldn't stand in court.

Maximum you could say that the people who tried to stop police from confiscating ballots can be accused of obstructing justice.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I agree that the Catalan referendum was illegal - but what is illegal is not the same as what is illegitimate. It is a fundamental right, recognised in international law and taken as the starting point of the organisation of the modern world order, that peoples have the right to self-determination. In the absence of the Spain state organising a referendum, the Catalan regional government's referendum offers the most legitimate means of consulting the people possible. If Spain does not offer something of greater legitimacy, then the Catalan state has every right to secede - there is no 'more legitimate' step they can take; they have done the best they can, and it is not right that Spain's intransigence can stall the process in perpetuity.

As I've said before: I'm not a nationalist. But anyone examining this situation needs to ask themselves: in the absence of Spain granting any concessions towards a proper referendum, what more can the Catalan regional government do? And if the Catalan regional government cannot possibly do any more than what it has, why is it not justified in acting?

SgtCobra

For a few months before it will completely collapse in on itself. Spain and the EU will let them bleed to death.
What I don't understand is how they think this is gonna work out for them if they brute force the independency. Their biggest exports are in the chemical and automitive sector and those are mostly being exported to other EU countries. Spain will do everything to ensure that doing business as usual becomes extremely difficult for Catalonia.

Why does the central goverment just now allows the referendum since even people from Cataluña are split and it seems more than 50% do not want to go independent. ?? Unless I am misssing somehting.
I don't know why but perpahs this could open the door for more referendums across Europe I guess? I highly doubt the EU and it's member states are looking forward to some European Independence winter or something like that, and Spain will be held accountable.

Business

What I don't understand is how they think this is gonna work out for them if they brute force the independency. Their biggest exports are in the chemical and automitive sector and those are mostly being exported to other EU countries. Spain will do everything to ensure that doing business as usual becomes extremely difficult for Catalonia.

I don't know why but this could open the door to more referendums across Europe I guess? I highly doubt the EU and it's member states are looking forward to some European Independence winter or something like that.

That's true but then you wonder why people wants out. Pure fraternity.

The reason for no referendum has nothing to do with Europe and everything to do with Spain denying Catalonia is even a nation with the right of self determination. Everything to do with how the democratic transition was done, the creation of the comunidades autonomas and the concept of regions, the so called ‘cafe para todos' and the rethoric that has been slowly installed in Spain throughout the years that Catalonia or the Basque Country are regions like any other comunidad autonoma within Spain, and consequently any self determination claims are absurd, illegitimate and unlawful.

I don't know why but perpahs this could open the door for more referendums across Europe I guess? I highly doubt the EU and it's member states are looking forward to some European Independence winter or something like that, and Spain will be held accountable.
Yeah if this happens, you can expect all nationalist secessionist movement that are often alt-right to be in full swing and putin will be happpy to finance them.

All thread about Catalonia here have Vlaams Belang ad, pretty clear who it's benefiting to

It would be hard, but dependency goes both ways,Barcelona port is the second biggest port in Spain.

It would take years, but I'm sure in the end Cat will manage to stand on his own
Are there any plans from the Catalonia government about how they will manage after independence? How it will impact the economy, what will happen with pensions, taxes, debt, exports, imports, maybe even food supply, gas, electricity, etc, etc.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It would be hard, but dependency goes both ways,Barcelona port is the second biggest port in Spain.

It would take years, but I'm sure in the end Cat will manage to stand on his own

What goods are transported through that port and where from and where to? Hard border with Spain and tariffs with EU will take its toll (pun intended) on that.

Yeah if this happens, you can expect all nationalist secessionist movement that are often alt-right to be in full swing and putin will be happpy to finance them.

All thread about Catalonia here have Vlaams Belang ad, pretty clear who it's benefiting to

I can imagine all independence movements across Europe, whether they are right-wing or left-wing in nature, will benefit from a succesful declaration of independence in Catalonia.

I'm not sure if most are right-wing as you say. Catalonia, Basque Country, Scotland and Sardinia certainly aren't.

Are there any plans from the Catalonia government about how they will manage after independence? How it will impact the economy, what will happen with pensions, taxes, debt, exports, imports, maybe even food supply, gas, electricity, etc, etc.
There is no real independence until Spain acknowledge it, just trying make it a fact at street level would result in a siege. So once they manage to make Spain negotiate those issues would be up to debate and probably Spain will ask for a new referendum with guarantees (that the proindependence will likely win after all that shit).

Dehnus

Interesting times ahead, not only for Spain and Catalonia but also for the European Union.

I truly hope a solution can be reached that will be beneficial to all parties involved but I somehow doubt it. Rajoy is flexing his muscles in a region where his party has nothing to lose and after Sunday I fear there is no going back. I wouldn't expect anything from the European Union either if I were Catalonia. Somehow human rights transgressions are less of an issue in this case. Pathetically weak reactions all around.

If the EU had said anything the populists would have screamed about "Nation states rawr!", had they said nothing the populists would have screamed "HUMAN RIGHTS RAWR!"

in either case, they couldn't win and had to do it internally. Sad as that might make you, it still is the only official course unless you want to add more fuel to the fire.

Just like Brexit, it won't be it a one day thing. New economic plans, new Constitution, new accords, frontiers.

Is uncharted territory, it would take months and years. Until that point the currnt status quo will stay.

In other words, there are not proper plans, because is a mad move no one in the cat goverment really wanted (at least most of them)

Just like Brexit, it won't be it a one day thing. New economic plans, new Constitution, new accords, frontiers.

Is uncharted territory, it would take months and years. Until that point the currnt status quo will stay.

In other words, there are not proper plans, because is a mad move no one in the cat goverment really wanted (at least most of them)
Sure, but with Brexit (and the Scottish referendum) you had two parties that had a process in mind. In this case, if - I don't think they will still - Catalonia declares independence, it is not a process. It is one side just declaring it. So at that point, Spain can do whatever it wants, freeze all payments and put a border up. They have zero incentive to start a process with Catalonia to arrange a good transition.

Sure, but with Brexit (and the Scottish referendum) you had two parties that had a process in mind. In this case, if - I don't think they will still - Catalonia declares independence, it is not a process. It is one side just declaring it. So at that point, Spain can do whatever it wants, freeze all payments and put a border up. They have zero incentive to start a process with Catalonia to arrange a good transition.

If they don't accept the independence, existing laws and constitution applies. If they accept,existing laws won't apply and if they start doing crazy things,chaos will raise. Economic chaos, which will be a disaster on the precarious Spanish economy.

If they don't accept the independence, existing laws and constitution applies. If they accept,existing laws won't apply and if they start doing crazy things,chaos will raise. Economic chaos, which will be a disaster on the precarious Spanish economy.
I don't get the imagined process here. So if they declare independence, you expect things to continue as normal if Spain just ignores it because existing laws apply? So the Catalonian government would tell their people to just continue paying their taxes and act like nothing changed?

I really don't get how they expect this all to work and it seems there is no plan at all for anything at the moment.

Nationalisms have always worked great for Europe....

At times, yes. The downfall of dynastic rule and the decline in power of the Church can be attributed to the rise of nationalism and the awakening of the national identity. Look at the French Revolution for example. People turned from subjects to the king into citizens of the nation, with voting rights and career prospects based on merit, instead of which estate you were born into. This created a sense of belonging for the citizens as they were now actually contributing to a society in which they were valued. Later nationalism contributed to the decline of various empires and the Soviet Union.

So simply dismissing nationalism as a force of evil is too simplistic. Nationalism only becomes dangerous when feelings of superiority, elitism and exclusiveness enter the equation. When the pendulum swings too much to one side, like with most political ideologies.

Javier23

Banned
Do you mean that Catalans are not Spanish citizens? Or that the Spanish government wouldn't deploy troops in Catalonia?
Neither, I mean that were the Spanish government to deploy troops in Catalonia it wouldn't be in any way to use them against its own population.

Dragner

Neither, I mean that were the Spanish government to deploy troops in Catalonia it wouldn't be in any way to use them against its own population.

I wouldnt be so sure of that. We have a sad record of police brutality in Spain. If people protest police will attack 100% sure. Liķe happened during the vote.

I don't get the imagined process here. So if they declare independence, you expect things to continue as normal if Spain just ignores it because existing laws apply? So the Catalonian government would tell their people to just continue paying their taxes and act like nothing changed?

I really don't get how they expect this all to work and it seems there is no plan at all for anything at the moment.

If they Spain and EU don't accept it, and Spain activates 155? Then yes.

tuxfool

Banned
I wouldnt be so sure of that. We have a sad record of police brutality in Spain. If people protest police will attack 100% sure. Liķe happened during the vote.

There is still a world of difference between deploying the army and deploying the police. Both in procedure and actual message.

Javier23

Banned
I'm talking about the military. If the day comes in which we see Spanish tanks trampling Catalonians or shooting into crowds, I'll be more than happy to admit that I was wrong when I said the Spanish military wouldn't be used against its own citizens. But that's not gonna happen.

Dragner

I'm talking about the military. If the day comes in which we see Spanish tanks trampling Catalonians or shooting into crowds, I'll be more than happy to admit that I was wrong when I said the Spanish military wouldn't be used against its own citizens. But that's not gonna happen.

Yeah I misread that. Sorry.

We can all agree that referendum was illegal. But some agreement must occur since voting isnt illegal, afaik, deciding how you want to live and the right of self-determination is protected by ICCPR art 1 that is part of the International Bill of Human Rights. So in the end even if local laws are against that referendum the goberment should have manage this better since voting is protected by basic human rights.

Top Bottom