• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story & 1001 Spikes coming to the Nintendo Switch (+ another look at UI)

Dude, that's kickass. Now I almost want one.
Though I do think 2D pixel art games (Isaac and Cave Story) look particularly good on a 3DS XL display compared to high res displays, because the pixel art is 1:1 with the screen, I guess. I wonder if Terraria is coming to Switch?

gunstarhero

Theme looks cool.

Kind of rolling my eyes at those game announcements though. Give me NEW games....like 90's Arcade Racer.

If pressing y changes user, wouldn't that suggest that the icons on the top left are actually a friends list rather than a list of user accounts?

1001 spikes is currently being played by that same user according to the box, I think it's the account list. Displaying player names over the artwork wouldn't really gel with a who's playing list

Sendou

Can't make a thread but also this:

Shovel Knight:Treasure Trove and Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment will launch first in Nintendo Switch’s launch window for $24.99 and $9.99 respectively!

Get ready for Shovel Knight Co-op using Joy-Cons, Specter of Torment, Body Swap Mode, new challenge stages, new feats, and more on your new Nintendo Switch!! The other consoles and standalone versions will follow suit in April (dates to be confirmed once submitted and approved by platform holders).

Soure: http://yachtclubgames.com/2017/01/switch-at-pax/

Guymelef

March 2014.
Nicalis tweet:
BjL_k4OCEAAKOty.jpg

January 2017 Still waiting for Legend of Raven.

I also see another to the right of Cave Story, that's not the Redout logo I think, curious about what it is.

Also, do we know if both of these are retail? Issac and Redout are. I'm legit impressed (so far) at just how much weight Nicalis is throwing at Switch this early on.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I could stand to buy physical copies of both of those, too, if Nicalis feels so inclined. Hopefully, Cave Story will have all the stuff from previous releases. I have the 3DS version, which I think is the most complete, but I'd really, really prefer to play it on a TV.

psyfi

Banned
Nice, I've been wanting to give Cave Story another go soon and would prefer to not play it on PC again. I've never even heard of 1001 Spikes, is it any good?

Now if only Switch had an actual d-pad.
Playing platform or fighting games is going to be a real pain.
Hah, good point. Maybe I'll hold off.

Cartho

Nice to see confirmation of themes, however It was pretty clear they were going to be in. Just because Nintendo didn't do a long preview of the options menu on their unveiling doesn't mean we shouldn't expect stuff like themes. I mean themes were pretty big on the 3DS.

It looks like a much, MUCH more "grown up" piece of hardware though overall.

El Sabroso

dark theme looks elegant, I like it

multiple users in device is also good news for me so far for upgrade of games potential

Jiguryo

Aryan mech phallus gun
Here's hoping there's some sort of digital upgrade offer, as I have some of them on Wii / Wii U eShop.

LordKano

I wonder if the multiple users would work exactly like it did on Wii U.

Because that would mean possible multiple saves on Pokémon.

1001 spikes is currently being played by that same user according to the box, I think it's the account list. Displaying player names over the artwork wouldn't really gel with a who's playing list

Ah good catch, I didn't see that icon there at first. Are you sure that couldn't be an indicator showing you that your friend is playing that game?

It does look like the user went to the home screen from that game though...

Nintendo really needs an OS/online/VC direct, pronto. I can't imagine them being silent until launch...

Ah good catch, I didn't see that icon there at first. Are you sure that couldn't be an indicator showing you that your friend is playing that game?

It does look like the user went to the home screen from that game though...

Nintendo really needs an OS/online/VC direct, pronto. I can't imagine them being silent until launch...

I agree wholeheartedly! They've said we'll hear more in the coming weeks, so I hope they aren't silent for long. My wish for yesterday was that the Fire Emblem Direct would end with a date for another Direct next week... As that didn't happen I'm crossing my fingers for more information.

jblank83

The UI looks sleek, but I still can't fathom that the friends system isn't built into it. I hope it's fast and has the ability to zoom out.

Adding and managing friends is mentioned under the free functionality part on the Switch website. All it is likely part of the system

iavi

This UI is super slick, which is never something I'd thought to be getting from Nintendo of all people.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I've been wanting to pick up 1001 Spikes for ages on my Wii U but never got around to it...guess I'll roll those intentions right over to the Switch.

Top Bottom