• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story coming to Switch [June, $30, new local MP mode, new bonus stages]

I played the original freeware version over a decade ago on the PC, how different is this version to that?

On the top of my head:

- Options for redrawn graphics alongside true 16:9 widescreen support and remastered music

- Different localized script

- Extra difficulties like easy and hard

- Playable Curly Mode

- Extra locations and areas like the Wind Fortress

- Sanctuary Time Attack mode

- Boss Rush mode

OmegaFax

I guess my only complaint is the consistent pricing Nicalis uses across the board for digital and physical releases. The latter is a really nice touch and gives you more value for your money.

At the end of the day though, for a digital release, $30 is a bit steep. It borderlines into the same territory Ultimate Street Fighter 2 got on the Switch. It's an older game with a few tweaks and a price that's way more than any other version released. I'd only opt for a physical version in this scenario because of Prime and GCU discounts.

I love Cave Story though. The eShop 3DS release is probably my favorite so far because it adapted the original pixel art to widescreen. The DSi had a map screen at the bottom if I recall. The 2.5D remake just felt weird because of the shifting perspective whenever the character moves.

Fiendcode

I guess my only complaint is the consistent pricing Nicalis uses across the board for digital and physical releases. The latter is a really nice touch and gives you more value for your money.

At the end of the day though, for a digital release, $30 is a bit steep. It borderlines into the same territory Ultimate Street Fighter 2 got on the Switch. It's an older game with a few tweaks and a price that's way more than any other version released. I'd only opt for a physical version in this scenario because of Prime and GCU discounts.

I love Cave Story though. The eShop 3DS release is probably my favorite so far because it adapted the original pixel art to widescreen. The DSi had a map screen at the bottom if I recall. The 2.5D remake just felt weird because of the shifting perspective whenever the character moves.
I can agree with this. Sega and Greybox/Tequila Works are the examples to follow on Switch digital vs retail pricing, not Nicalis or Capcom.

It's going to rough paying $29.99+ for 1001 Spikes, Redout and Hydra Castle Labyrinth. And maybe 90s Arcade Racer if we're lucky.

I already have this game on Steam and I can run it on my Surface Pro so I will probably skip this. Unless Best Buy brings back the Visa Checkout deal. Then I'd get it with a set of Joy-cons since it would push me over $100 and with the discount it would be pretty much free with the Joy-cons.

Forgot about this. Preordered.
Never played Cave Story but I remember seeing it on Somecallmejohnny's Youtube and loving what I've seen.

The back of the box is so loaded and presumptious, haha

"Life changing..."

"Your new favorite game..."

Omg. If I saw that on any box it'd immediately deter me.

vid

How good of a metroidvania is this game?

It's an excellent game, but I wouldn't classify it as a Metroidvania. It has a pretty direct path from start to finish, even though you do use your gradual powerups to proceed further.

Hm... maybe Metroidvania-Lite? Whatever, it's a great title.

Nerrel

Did a quick comparison comparing the Switch version to PC - https://youtu.be/7t-Acqxdyh8

I didn't like the remastered music in the WiiWare release and wasn't sure why it was even necessary (the original soundtrack is perfect), but this sounds even worse. Is this a new audio remaster or am I just not remembering the WiiWare music right?

The water doesn't look as bad as the early comparisons made it seem. It actually looks pretty cool when you're underwater and seeing the distortion effect. But I still question the decision to add those effects.. this was designed to be an 8-bit love letter. Remastering it with a 16-bit style for the Wii version was fine, since the game is kind of straddling the line between 16 and 8 bit anyway, but when you break away from a retro aesthetic with lighting and physics changes like this it seems like you're kind of forgetting the point. It might be best to either totally remake it with modern HD sprites and effects or keep it totally retro. Some of the other changes do look nice though, like the ground sprites fading to black.

Tygamr

I didn't like the remastered music in the WiiWare release and wasn't sure why it was even necessary (the original soundtrack is perfect), but this sounds even worse. Is this a new audio remaster or am I just not remembering the WiiWare music right?

It's the Cave Story 3D soundtrack (which is also in Cave Story+).

NateDrake

The water doesn't look as bad as the early comparisons made it seem. It actually looks pretty cool when you're underwater and seeing the distortion effect. But I still question the decision to add those effects.. this was designed to be an 8-bit love letter. Remastering it with a 16-bit style for the Wii version was fine, since the game is kind of straddling the line between 16 and 8 bit anyway, but when you break away from a retro aesthetic with lighting and physics changes like this it seems like you're kind of forgetting the point. It might be best to either totally remake it with modern HD sprites and effects or keep it totally retro. Some of the other changes do look nice though, like the ground sprites fading to black.
You can choose different music options. Remastered, original, and a couple of others.

Love the new look of this, great combo of a retro aesthetic with some modern flair :)

I kinda want to get this day 1 for the soundtrack 😓

I can't disagree that the original appeal of the game was to be a retro throwback, you really can't contest how friggin good this remake looks, at least compared to the 3D remake that totally made the game look shitty and weird. They're not sacrificing the retro look of the game, they're enhancing it.

I feel stupid for wanting this at the price they're selling it, especially day 1, but fuck I love this game. The promise of getting coop in this is so enticing too! I'd love to play thru this with a friend.

Has there been any, even the slightest hint of whether coop truly will be making its way into this? Any word on its progress? I'm a bit concerned it'll either be scrapped or wind up going thru the ol' Nicalis machine and get released in like 2 years.

BTA

I can agree with this. Sega and Greybox/Tequila Works are the examples to follow on Switch digital vs retail pricing, not Nicalis or Capcom.

It's going to rough paying $29.99+ for 1001 Spikes, Redout and Hydra Castle Labyrinth. And maybe 90s Arcade Racer if we're lucky.

Wait, shit, they're remaking Hydra Castle Labyrinth? I really enjoyed playing that years ago; why does Nicalis keep getting games I actually like...

dopan

Neo Member
Native 1080p? I am not even sure if The Binding Of Isaac is 1080p.

I have been keeping a close eye on this release, but didn't hear anything about Native 1080p. Can anyone confirm what the resolution will be? Only thing I saw which mentioned visuals said "upgraded HD graphics", which I take to mean 720p unless otherwise noted.

Is it really an option? Can you switch to the original or Cave Story+ look? The "improved visuals" are the one thing keeping me from wanting to buy it.

The last 2 versions that had the redrawn graphics (Wii and Steam) also had the option to choose the original sprites, so I'd be shocked if the Switch version doesn't have it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Can anyone recommend somewhere I can import this to the UK? Looks like we aren't being blessed with the physical version unless I'm mistaken.
Has there even been confirmation that European regions is getting the game at all in June? This is Nicalis after all, they don't generally do Europe.

I can't believe I'm probably going to pay $30 for a slightly different version of a game I own on about 5 platforms. Lack of current Switch software + Cave Story being one of my favorite games does it for me I guess

@MUWANdo

Banned
Has there even been confirmation that European regions is getting the game at all in June? This is Nicalis after all, they don't generally do Europe.

I believe Headup Games is publishing several Nicalis Switch games in Europe including Cave Story but I don't think it's a confirmed simultaneous launch with NA.

eliochip

Picked up a copy earlier. Never really put any hours into this but from what I played, I enjoyed it enough to pick it up for the Switch.

Here are a few screens of the instruction booklet:

The little soundtrack cd is also included:

..and here are some screens of the game. Taken during portable mode:

I'm only in the beginning but it runs and looks great.

Ditto. Just got my copy today.

I played the freeware version back then, bought the 3DS version and now this.

Have to say it really feels right on the switch. The extra modes are a nice touch.

Picked up a copy earlier. Never really put any hours into this but from what I played, I enjoyed it enough to pick it up for the Switch.

Here are a few screens of the instruction booklet:

The little soundtrack cd is also included:

..and here are some screens of the game. Taken during portable mode:

I'm only in the beginning but it runs and looks great.

what a cute package!

Top Bottom