• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story coming to Switch [June, $30, new local MP mode, new bonus stages]

bionic77

Thinking of getting this. I love 16bit games (I love 8 bit games as well but my patience for them has grown less over time).

For someone who grew up playing games in that era is this something that is a no brainer? I have been playing the Shantae game and Switch and it feels empty. I assume by praise that the gameplay is far better designed on this correct?

Kyuur

Thinking of getting this. I love 16bit games (I love 8 bit games as well but my patience for them has grown less over time).

For someone who grew up playing games in that era is this something that is a no brainer? I have been playing the Shantae game and Switch and it feels empty. I assume by praise that the gameplay is far better designed on this correct?

Yes, it's a no brainer. Cave Story is a classic up there with the best of them. Shantae isn't comparable.

Ludist210

I like them both, but Shantae and Cave Story are two different animals. Cave Story is absolutely a no brainer if you haven't played it before. It's much more Metroid-esque.

Kyuur

I didn't realize this wasn't shipping with co-op. :| Re-evaluating my day 1 purchase unless my fiancee has already done the pre-order. I've already played through solo innumerable times and was looking forward to mixing it up.

Cave Story is easily superior. Its looks is much more consistent (And better, too), the music rules, and yes, it's so much better designed than any Shantae. Really satisfying gameplay, and it's fun to replay too. It's a real treat and in my top 3 favorite games. I can't recommend it enough.

What's even crazier to me, is this epic game and story was created by a 27 year old at the time. I'm 2 years older than Pixel was at the time and I haven't done shit

Any reason given for the 30$ price on eShop? I know physical is more expensive (ordered it) but why is it double the price on other platforms digitally?

edit ok:

From the video :
- They remade some part of the visuals. Water has physics, for example.
- It will have original, remastered and CS3D soundtracks.
- New bonus stages added, tied to the story.
- Local multiplayer will be patched in by the end of summer, exclusive to this version it seems. The 2nd player is Curly.

So switch tax + new content. cool.

My first time ever getting a game early!
UJMqRy8.jpg

Aesnath

So should I get Cave Story or Axiom Verge ?

Either have more replay value or better overall ?

Both are great. Personally, I enjoyed Cave Story more, BUT AV is really closer to a metroid-type game than CS. Cave Story has some definite exploration and metroid-vibes, but it owes more to action shooters than metriod. AV is basically a metroid sequel.

Likely you can't go wrong with this choice. Likely of note, I replayed CS, but not AV.

Wasp14

Based on the awesome buzz here I decided to preorder this game and am looking forward to starting my first play through tomorrow. I also really like the manual and box art.

Based on the awesome buzz here I decided to preorder this game and am looking forward to starting my first play through tomorrow. I also really like the manual and box art.

Cave Story, imo, is the best indie game ever made. I wouldn't be buying my 5th copy of it otherwise lmao

So, anyone who got this at Gamestop, what character keychain did you get? I was kinda hoping to get Balrog, but got Curly. Which is fine I suppose.

Glix

So, anyone who got this at Gamestop, what character keychain did you get? I was kinda hoping to get Balrog, but got Curly. Which is fine I suppose.

I got Balrog.

The instruction book is AWESOME. Has some great art. I appreciated the spoiler warning as well, lol.

kingbean

First time playing cave story. It's good so far. 30 bucks is a bit steep of a price but I'm loving the visuals and the music so far. Have the music set to remastered.

I'm really happy to see people new to CS purchasing this new version of it; you won't be disappointed, it's truly excellent, and this will be the best version of it easily! The graphics are so crisp and having it both on the go and in HD is so damn good.

LGUuk97.jpg

Awww yeah, two copies, bitches. Forgot I already had it preordered, and did it again. Just gonna throw one in a closet and keep it sealed. Maybe it'll be valuable some day.

Regardless of all that, can't wait to finally check this game out after hearing about it for years and years.

I got Balrog.

The instruction book is AWESOME. Has some great art. I appreciated the spoiler warning as well, lol.

I totally agree! The instruction booklet is simply amazing. I really wish we still got them as creative as this, but then they wouldn't be special when we got them.

I didn't even realize this was out. GS is the worst, hate that they have an exclusive edition on this. Didn't get a call or text.

Seik

Banned
Got my copy at work and heading home listening to the OST that came on the mini CD.

8 bit musical bliss. :)

Can't wait to arrive and finally try this game for the first time!

lutheran

Amazon.com screwed me again with a game delivery. First the Switch got delayed on me even though I ordered the damn thing within minutes of it being available on their website. Then Zelda BOTW also got delayed on me. Now I was supposed to receive Cave Story today and at 8am this morning I get an undeliverable as addressed notice from both the USPS and Amazon. They have the exact right address that they use all the time to send me shit. The order says it will be delayed but it is still showing an 8pm arrival for tonight. I did the chat option with customer service and he said he notified the carrier for redelivery and I will definitely get it tonight lol. I was like the package was 120 miles away when that Post office said it was undeliverable as addressed and was being returned to Amazon. How the hell is it possible it will be here in a few hours now especially when the post office hasn't updated what they did with the package yet. He gave me a link to the post offices redelivery form lol. So pissed off, I am a fool for thinking the first 2 problems I had were flukes. I am now going to use Best Buy exclusively.

Fucking Amazon.com screwed me again with a game delivery. First the Switch got delayed on me even though I ordered the damn thing within minutes of it being available on their website. Then Zelda BOTW also got delayed on me. Now I was supposed to receive Cave Story today and at 8am this morning I get an undeliverable as addressed notice from both the USPS and Amazon. They have the exact right address that they use all the time to send me shit. The order says it will be delayed but it is still showing an 8pm arrival for tonight. I did the chat option with customer service and he said he notified the carrier for redelivery and I will definitely get it tonight lol. I was like the package was 120 miles away when that Post office said it was undeliverable as addressed and was being returned to Amazon. How the hell is it possible it will be here in a few hours now especially when the post office hasn't updated what they did with the package yet. He gave me a link to the post offices redelivery form lol. So pissed off, I am a fool for thinking the first 2 problems I had were flukes. I am now going to use Best Buy exclusively.

Obviously your home address confuses the postal services. You should move

ghibli99

That instruction book just looks wonderful! Yet another reason why physical can't die, when it's done right like this, BoI, Shovel Knight, etc.

I didn't even realize this was out. GS is the worst, hate that they have an exclusive edition on this. Didn't get a call or text.

Damn... I'm sorry to hear about that. Were you able to still get your copy?

Keychain sounds nice but I've blacklisted GameStop due to their practices so I picked up my copy at Target today.

I can totally understand and respect that. The way treat their employees and customers is pretty shitty. Can't say they are my favorite company, but Cave Story is one of my all time favorite indies, and they had the thing I wanted.

Because I'm anal about the condition I receive my games in, does anyone else's copy have a wrinkly plastic art insert cover? I reaaallly hate when that happens.

fernoca

If anyone is willing to sell the extra/Gamestop stuff (manual, CD, keychain), for around $20/$30 shipped let me know.

No Gamestops in here. :/

Got it! :eek:

Damn... I'm sorry to hear about that. Were you able to still get your copy?

I can totally understand and respect that. The way treat their employees and customers is pretty shitty. Can't say they are my favorite company, but Cave Story is one of my all time favorite indies, and they had the thing I wanted.
I did, thanks for asking. No drama in the store. I'll only go there if there's no alternative, and Cave Story is a game I'll spend as much money as possible on forever.
Really wanna play this but $30 seems really steep.
I get that it was a freeware PC game once, but Pixel wasn't a game developer in those days. He deserves compensation for his art, and a lot of love went into this edition.

I did, thanks for asking. No drama in the store. I'll only go there if there's no alternative, and Cave Story is a game I'll spend as much money as possible on forever.

I get that it was a freeware PC game once, but Pixel wasn't a game developer in those days. He deserves compensation for his art, and a lot of love went into this edition.

That's good to hear! Which character key chain did you end up getting? And I totally agree that this edition totally warranted the purchase. Just enough new stuff, goodies and having the physical copy is nice.

J@hranimo

Banned

The game is $15 on Steam currently. They might mean there are cheaper places to play the game.

Theswweet

I'm just gonna say, Nicalis has got me good. After Isaac and now this, if their other physical releases are anything as good as this I'm buying them all. SO glad Blade Strangers is getting one!

I got the game on my front door literally 10 mins before I headed off to work. Had a quick smell of box and looked through the instruction book a bit. Can't wait to dive in after work.

Probably should have brought the Switch with me. :/

lutheran

Obviously your home address confuses the postal services. You should move

Now Amazon changed my delivery date to the 20-22. Last time I make that mistake, they threw in a free overnight shipping on my next order. I asked the lady what good is that if you sometimes can't seem to find my house?

XaosWolf

I'm just gonna say, Nicalis has got me good. After Isaac and now this, if their other physical releases are anything as good as this I'm buying them all. SO glad Blade Strangers is getting one!

Nicalis keep picking up good indie titles but they really need to get their EU releases and QC sorted out. They have a bad rep since Cave Story Wii where they combined them two problems in a spectacular way and then continued the trend with further releases albeit to a lesser extent.

I am thankful they're putting out physical editions though! =)

I died the same frame as the final boss, there was no health bar left, you should've died

EDIT: =)

The game is $15 on Steam currently. They might mean there are cheaper places to play the game.
Oh I agree. My point is simply that the game is worth money, and this edition doubly-so. A beautiful instruction book (which shouldn't be an extra but sadly is these days), a soundtrack mini-CD, a nice keychain, and a cool little pouch.

I've had this argument earlier in this thread and it has been beaten to death. Play the game wherever you want, just play it! It's amazing, and the physical Switch release looks to be definitive.

Used some Powerup coupons to justify paying MSRP at Gamestop for the Keychain. Happy I did since I got the main characters.

Can't wait to start playing this later tonight, never played any of the other versions

Exuro

Just got it in. Love the instruction manual. Also really like switch cases being transparent with art on the inside.

sfried

I just got my pre-order from Amazon, but I want the GameStop extras. Should I return my copy and check my local GameStop for the pouch/keychain deal?

Top Bottom