• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story coming to Switch [June, $30, new local MP mode, new bonus stages]

You can hold 5 puppies instead of just one now! Best version ever.

DC0HRgcUMAAhcsR.jpg:large

So... whatever happened to those additional bonus stages?

...Can't help but feel like that would ruin the pacing of the story dump in that area, though. :s

I think the additional one is just the Sand Pit. Maybe the Machine Gun Challenge as well if you're going off of 3DS eShop rather than Steam.

Honestly, I've beaten Cave Story at least 15 times over multiple systems. The story dump's pacing didn't feel that bad, but it did feel quite silly when Jenka said "3 more pups" and the remaining 3 are just sitting on my head.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, I thought the game was cool when I first played it on PC like... 6 years ago, but I wasn't blown away. I dunno why, but it's really clicking for me now. This game is fucking awesome.

I think the additional one is just the Sand Pit. Maybe the Machine Gun Challenge as well if you're going off of 3DS eShop rather than Steam.

Honestly, I've beaten Cave Story at least 15 times over multiple systems. The story dump's pacing didn't feel that bad, but it did feel quite silly when Jenka said "3 more pups" and the remaining 3 are just sitting on my head.
Can you elaborate on what the Sand Pit and the Machine Gun Challenge are? I'm trying to gauge if this version is worth picking up purely for the bonus content and the novelty of having a physical copy.

Compared to The Binding Of Isaac Rebirth selling for $39.99, this is an absolute STEAL
Not sure why you'd say that, since BoI is only ten dollars more with similar physical bonus content and is much closer to its regular price if you were to purchase the game on Steam. To say nothing of this still being a slightly-enhanced (and in my opinion slightly worse) remake of a game that is free.

Plus you get almost infinite hours out of BoI.

I love Cave Story and bought it again for Switch but it has limited replayability outside of getting the best ending and speedrunning. I think BoI is well worth that price tag physically. (as is this)

lutheran

Fucking Amazon. Have had it pre-ordered since it was available to order and they've delayed my package until Monday.

For my money Amazon is no longer to be trust with respect to Switch stuff coming on release day. This is the 3rd time in the last 3 months I had ordered something when it was immediately available to order and then had my order pushed back or not delivered on time for one reason or another. Best Buy is getting my Christmas gaming money, no doubt about it. And it will be substantial lol..

chronomac

It's only if you
go for the best ending and play through the Bloodstained Sanctuary
where that massive spike happens,
playing the game normally without going there
is a moderate difficulty curve that won't feel sudden
The answer to this is complicated, but let's just say you won't likely experience it.

Roger that. I think the game has a nice difficulty curve so far. I've had some trouble here and there but nothing major.

daxy

This is not available at the European eshop. Any idea when is it suppose to be release in Europe?

The date is still TBD but it's on its way. Going by how long it's been taking for Binding of Isaac to release over here, I'd say you're better off buying from the US eShop unless you're willing to wait several months.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I pre-ordered this the day it was announced from Best Buy. My order got delayed til next month. :(

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This is not available at the European eshop. Any idea when is it suppose to be release in Europe?

The date is still TBD but it's on its way. Going by how long it's been taking for Binding of Isaac to release over here, I'd say you're better off buying from the US eShop unless you're willing to wait several months.

^ this. BoI is 4+ months between US and Europe release, Cave Story probably will face a similar gap as Head Up Games publishes both of those here and it'll need to fit into their publishing schedule.

I ended up importing a physical copy myself instead of from the digital US eShop just because it'll be a different SKU when it eventually arrives in Europe and I don't want to micromanage multiple Nintendo Accounts per region (whereas if it would be the same SKU it'd be downloadable from the EU eShop directly if owned via the US eShop and so on).

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
That's messed up. No chance their customer support can check local inventory and have them set a copy aside for you?

Sadly I'm about 100 miles away from the nearest Best Buy store. I'll probably just cancel this one and re-order from Amazon (while it still has a Prime shipping discount).

jshackles

Man, Best Buy can fuck right off with this

1VJBzmC.png

Can you elaborate on what the Sand Pit and the Machine Gun Challenge are? I'm trying to gauge if this version is worth picking up purely for the bonus content and the novelty of having a physical copy.

Machine Gun Challenge isn't worth it. You just boost your way through as Curly with low HP (16 or something?) and a level 1 machine gun, but most of the enemies do 1-10 damage and you just race through 4 areas. It's more of an easy speedrunning challenge than a machine gun challenge.

Sand Pit seems pretty cool. They took location assets from Sand Zone while borrowing enemies like the angels from Blood Stained Sanctuary, the roaches in the Labyrinth, and a couple others. You only start with a fireball weapon, and there are paths with breakable blocks (but can't be destroyed with the fireball as you remember), so I'm assuming you have to venture deeper into the sand pit and find a weapon that will help you. I haven't beaten it yet but it seems harder and a lot deeper in gameplay.

The novelty of a physical Cave Story is excellent, especially with the booklet and mini CD. It's a steal with Best Buy GCU.

UCBooties

Oh man, I'm sad I missed on that pouch and keychain. I had no idea they were a thing until I had already opened my copy from Amazon.

Impulse bought it from Best Buy today. I played about an hour of the free version years ago so this'll basically be my first time playing.

What are the best/most authentic settings to use? Is the original creator still involved?

AEREC

The switch release finally made me play the 3DS eshop version thats been sitting on my 3DS for years.

Having never played the game it seems pretty cool for something that came out years ago. Ive only just gotten to the Sand Zone after rescuing Kazuma.

Want this immediately so badly as I've never played it somehow but:

a) I'm sending my joycon off tomorrow
b) I can get the physical one from amazon uk with all the goodies it entails

ameleco

About to start my playthrough! I played it forever ago when it was free and hadn't bought any version until now. Can anyone off the top of their head remind me what to look out for as far as multiple endings are concerned? I have totally forgotten lol

Is this for all first editions?

Also, can anyone sell me on why this game is so great? I know nothing about it except people seem to love it.
It's just a great 2d platformer with metroid/megaman elements and a good story.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Is this not coming for EU? All I see on Amazon.de is the US edition.

Hylian7

I learned today that apparently this version lets you carry more than one dog at a time in the Sand Zone. DEFINITIVE EDITION CONFIRMED

I hated the fucking Sand Zone because of that shit.

So even though this has been out for a few days, Amazon decided they wanted to give it to me tomorrow. It just shipped early this morning :/

They've been TERRIBLE with release day shipping this year. This is like the third game this year that was late from release day.

And unlike Mario Kart 8 DX, this game I ordered a few days after pre-orders went up. MK I kind of understood, since I pre-ordered it two days before release, BotW had absolutely no excuse for being late, and CS has even less of an excuse since it's not a high demand game at all...

F31 Leopard

Is this for all first editions?

Also, can anyone sell me on why this game is so great? I know nothing about it except people seem to love it.

Idk if it's for all 1st editions at GameStop because they had my pre-order separated from the normal stock. The clerk told me only pre-orders had the bonuses inside the cases.

jshackles

Best Buy says they can't alter my order because it's "In production" and they also can't give me an estimated ship date and insist that whatever my email says will be the day that it arrives. They said that if I'm not satisfied with the purchase when it arrives that I can return it to my local Best Buy (100 miles away) or pay postage to return it myself. Really a negative experience with them over this.

I guess I'll order a copy from Amazon and I'll eventually get a second copy from Best Buy next month. I'll probably stick to Amazon for pre-orders and newly released stuff since it's the same price and much more reliable.

So consensus anyone? This will be the first ime ive played this and am stoked.

Best Buy says they can't alter my order because it's "In production" and they also can't give me an estimated ship date and insist that whatever my email says will be the day that it arrives. They said that if I'm not satisfied with the purchase when it arrives that I can return it to my local Best Buy (100 miles away) or pay postage to return it myself. Really a negative experience with them over this.

I guess I'll order a copy from Amazon and I'll eventually get a second copy from Best Buy next month. I'll probably stick to Amazon for pre-orders and newly released stuff since it's the same price and much more reliable.

stinks. hope you nab an order online.

D-Man

This is my first time playing the game and I need some advice: what music style should I use? CS+ is the default soundtrack but should I use organya, remastered, or famitracks instead?

Music in games are very is very important to me so I wanna make sure I'm getting the best experience possible.

This is my first time playing the game and I need some advice: what music style should I use? CS+ is the default soundtrack but should I use organya, remastered, or famitracks instead?

Music in games are very is very important to me so I wanna make sure I'm getting the best experience possible.

I personally like Organya (original), I'm not a big fan of any of the arrangements.

Top Bottom