• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CAVE STORY FOR WIIWARE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teddman

Isn't the main holdup on this game that they've decided to monetize it and add a ton of DLC options? No thanks.
But will the new content justify a purchase for what is already essentially a free game? Rodriguez clarified that “We’ve been listening to fans. They’ve been asking for new weapons, they’ve been asking for new characters, and that’s something we’ve really been taking into consideration to make sure that the DLC infrastructure is there for the future."
http://www.vooks.net/story-18129-WiiWare-Cave-Story-port-almost-ready.html

Fans just want the game with updated graphics and a nice classic control scheme on Wii. They don't care about a bunch of nickel-and-dime sprite weapons available on day one.

I've never played the game, but I'm close to writing off the Wii version and just downloading it for Mac.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
just play it on your mac, dude. it's an awesome game.

hilariously, i think playing it once on your computer will make you MORE likely to buy it on wii ware.

Razien

Banned
beelzebozo said:
just play it on your mac, dude. it's an awesome game.

hilariously, i think playing it once on your computer will make you MORE likely to buy it on wii ware.

I played on PC and that is the reason I'll pay whatever the price for it on WiiWare.

Teddman said:
Isn't the main holdup on this game that they've decided to monetize it and add a ton of DLC options? No thanks.http://www.vooks.net/story-18129-WiiWare-Cave-Story-port-almost-ready.html

Fans just want the game with updated graphics and a nice classic control scheme on Wii. They don't care about a bunch of nickel-and-dime sprite weapons available on day one.

I've never played the game, but I'm close to writing off the Wii version and just downloading it for Mac.
I wholeheartedly recommend the PSP version, it's a great game for playing on the john :)

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Razien said:
I played on PC and that is the reason I'll pay whatever the price for it on WiiWare.

exactly. i'd almost compare it to reading a paperback copy of a great book, loving it, and then eventually picking up a nice hardback. maybe the hardback even has gold lettering and a cloth map.

boy, that'd be something.

Teddman said:
Cool, what's the best version for Mac, anyone know? I think some versions require an emulator framework?

Dunno if this is the "best" but it works for me.

Download from here

Patch it to english using this

No emulation, it's just a osx universal binary...

neoism

nincompoop said:
Every time this thread is bumped I say "HOLY SHIT IT'S COMING OUT MONDAY!" and then I see the bump doesn't confirm a release date and I cry :(
16x16_smiley-sad.gif

rpmurphy

No, it doesn't have a Monday release nor does it have a firm release date yet. 1up has a preview of the game with 2 videos: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3176422
At this point, Cave Story is a practically done deal. Sure, Nicalis has been saying that for a year now, but this time they can back it up. Rodriguez pointed out a few minor bugs in the demo version as I played -- trivial issues, like a misplaced line of dialogue -- but clarified that we were looking at an older build of the game. The current version, he says, has made it through its complete reprogramming and visual facelift (courtesy of original Cave Story creator Daisuke "Pixel" Amaya) and is currently working its way through Nintendo's approval process. Assuming all goes well, Cave Story will be up for download within a matter of weeks.

Runs at 60FPS. DLC is being planned.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
rpmurphy said:
No, it doesn't have a Monday release nor does it have a firm release date yet. 1up has a preview of the game with 2 videos: http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3176422

Runs at 60FPS. DLC is being planned.

Jesus christ I can not believe how bad the music in those videos was. I mean I knew it was bad from previous stuff but MAN. How can you arrange that and not realize how grating it is?

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Tathanen said:
Jesus christ I can not believe how bad the music in those videos was. I mean I knew it was bad from previous stuff but MAN. How can you arrange that and not realize how grating it is?

Really? I think it sounds fine...and why the fuck isn't this out yet? I've been putting off my replay through this game for the Wiiware release...it's been months now.

EDIT

OK watched the second video, now I know what you're talking about..wow

androvsky

Okay, the 1up story has me officially confused; I haven't been following too closely, but I thought this was a WiiWare exclusive. 1up lists Sony Computer Entertainment as the publisher with a PSP version (presumably not the homebrew one) mentioned in the title in addition to the WiiWare version?

Capndrake

androvsky said:
Okay, the 1up story has me officially confused; I haven't been following too closely, but I thought this was a WiiWare exclusive. 1up lists Sony Computer Entertainment as the publisher with a PSP version (presumably not the homebrew one) mentioned in the title in addition to the WiiWare version?
A PSP port (Unaltered) was planned ages ago but never happened.

upandaway

I don't really like the new graphics either.

If only playing the game with a keyboard wasn't so damn horrifying, I wouldn't have even considered the game for WiiWare. But that's my only choice outside of buying a USB controller (which I know I should, but.. uh.. later).

upandaway said:
I don't really like the new graphics either.

If only playing the game with a keyboard wasn't so damn horrifying, I wouldn't have even considered the game for WiiWare. But that's my only choice outside of buying a USB controller (which I know I should, but.. uh.. later).
You can play with the old graphics, too.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Capndrake said:
A PSP port (Unaltered) was planned ages ago but never happened.

Uh, there is one for Homebrew. I know I have played Cave Story to completion (the only way I could) on the PSP.

androvsky

TheSeks said:
Uh, there is one for Homebrew. I know I have played Cave Story to completion (the only way I could) on the PSP.

Yes, hence the "presumably not the homebrew one" I put in the post he was responding to. :)

upandaway

ShockingAlberto said:
You can play with the old graphics, too.
Yeah, that's probably what I'm gonna do. It's just that I need to feel like I paid for something, y'know?
I'm really annoyed with Nicalis, they need to get themselves together and actually do something for once. For forever now all they've done is bullshit from delaying to taking on new games while delaying some more.

batbeg

lololol, hard mode is DLC? Thanks already Nicalis! I appreciate how difficult it must've been to get it in before the tight deadline.

Tathanen said:

Oh GAF you and your wacky hyperbole. *Clicks on videos* What the... what the flying fuck? Who in God's name did this shit?! Old music+new graphics for me.

Completely serious question here: Is the music supposed to sound like that?

Edit: I see you can play with the old music. Guess thats what Ill be doing.

Blizzard

Banned
batbeg said:
lololol, hard mode is DLC? Thanks already Nicalis! I appreciate how difficult it must've been to get it in before the tight deadline.
You have to pay more to use...hard mode? :lol I'm sure it's hard enough for me on normal though, so I probably won't get it.

Harpuia

The never-sure release date for this pretty much killed interest for this. Not to mention the bad DLC. And I was so excited for it too. :( Nicalis, I am disappoint.

OnPoint

Blizzard said:
You have to pay more to use...hard mode? :lol I'm sure it's hard enough for me on normal though, so I probably won't get it.

Exactly. After buying Protoman for Mega Man 9...

... well, I still don't regret that.

I'm part of the problem.

... but I won't be getting hard mode for this one.

Blizzard

Banned
OnPoint said:
Exactly. After buying Protoman for Mega Man 9...

... well, I still don't regret that.

I'm part of the problem.

... but I won't be getting hard mode for this one.
What's funny is that the Wii Mega Man was EXACTLY what this reminded me of, but I guess I didn't want to bring it up. I didn't buy any of the extras for that game, but then again, I think I only ever beat one boss. :p

OnPoint

I think Mega Man 9 was the third highest played game on my Wii in terms of hours... I don't recall leaving it on, and I didn't find it all that hard, so it didn't take me that long. I know a lot of my friends played it...

Blizzard, you should beat it. It's really not that hard. But don't buy Protoman. I only did because I love the character.

Teddman

Actually, it's a good bump. This game is becoming the Duke Nukem Forever of WiiWare.

It really takes this long to do an enhanced port of an 8-bit looking game?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So, this is happening soon, right?

Where's all the hype hiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom