• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 - official site launches, development blog

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
This game is a long ways away, eh? I've barely played The Witcher 2, but CDPR's pedigree, plus a concept I find extremely compelling tells me this is a game I'd buy a next gen console/upgraded PC for.

CD Projekt Red games are some of the only games worth buying at launch since the DLC is free. Microsoft and Sony better not mess that up. Speaking of which, is this PC-exclusive or coming to consoles as well? I'm guessing since Witcher 2 landed on consoles this will too?

http://www.cyberpunk.net/blog/mechanisms/

This is why adapting pen & paper rules to video game is not as easy as it can appear at first glance. The flexibility of an in-person RPG has to be replaced with a strict set of rules. Every skill, attribute and game mechanic has to have a clear definition and place in the game. For example, the Cyberpunk® 2020 “Wardrobe & Style” skill governs the knowledge about the right clothes to wear, when to wear them and how to look cool even in a spacesuit. As you can see, this skill covers quite a big area of lore and can be interpreted differently, depending on the situation and the players. In Cyberpunk 2077 this skill has to be tied to a specific gameplay mechanic. And all of these mechanics have to be clearly defined so they can work well with other elements of the game and, at the same time, be easy to understand for the player. After all, we don’t have a referee or game master to explain or interpret the rules as you go. And, to accommodate your curiosity, yes, we have some really cool ideas on how to present aforementioned skill in the game. Regrettably, we’re not quite yet ready to spill the beans

Fashion Police gameplay? Damn it Manshion-GAF taking over my games now too?!

Derrick01

Banned
I'm excited that it's sandbox but I'm worried they'll try to make the combat more like old games, meaning dice rolls.

I'm picturing playing GTA 4 and driving around the city, getting out to shoot someone, and then the computer tells me I missed a point blank head shot. Do Not Want.

Dennis

Banned
I'm excited that it's sandbox but I'm worried they'll try to make the combat more like old games, meaning dice rolls.

I'm picturing playing GTA 4 and driving around the city, getting out to shoot someone, and then the computer tells me I missed a point blank head shot. Do Not Want.

I thought you were hardcore old-school, man.

Derrick01

Banned
I thought you were hardcore old-school, man.

I am but I can't do dice rolls man. It's the single most infuriating thing that has ever been in a video game. The new Xcom is reminding me of it.

95% chance to hit in a crucial live or die situation? You know what's coming....

Vossler

Stupid excited about this. I'm a huge fan of Deus Ex HR, as well as the cyberpunk genre in general. Plus, Witcher 2 sits up there as one of my favorite RPGs. Can't wait.

Hindle

Banned
Gaming is about to get awesome again.

Im going to play The Witcher 2 at some point, get to know what Cd project are about.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I hope someone has contacted Michael McMann. Like I said in the other thread, I want him to do the soundtrack, but I want him to 80s it up more than XCOM/ME/DE:HR

Can't wait. Going to Barnes, any good cyberpunk books or art books I should look for?

If you mean cyberpunk in general, Neuromancer. If you mean from the same source material as this, there's two books, but I don't recommend either.

I am in love with what's being said on the blog thus far, but I have to say that terrestrial futuristic RPGs, "Cyberpunk", is overdone. I would like a deep space RPG that is not a MMORPG. WIth expansions outside of current environmental impacts that are implemented in games today, cool mechanics like gravity stats and differentiations, randomized damage in the form of space debris in the field. Weapon failures, malfunctions, limitations based on "in -game scientific circumstances". There is an opportunity for them to use next-gen tech to do so much more in doing justice to 2020's mechanics, hope they take it.

Alastor

Can't wait. Going to Barnes, any good cyberpunk books or art books I should look for?

Read Gibson's Neuromancer if you haven't already. And the first volume of Shirow's Ghost in the Shell manga. These two are essential, someone will probably tell you about less popular ones I have no idea about.

DieH@rd

Banned

3 must read cyberpunk book, everybody need to read them naooooo!

Neuromancer by William Gibson [first and best introduction to the genre]

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson [simply amazing vision of the future, also it has all-time best name for main character]

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan [action/thriller/detective novel set in the amazing cyberpunk universe]

i'm not feelin it :( need to see in game art style and mechanics. was never a fan of the spiky mohawk + piercings as being a staple of cyberpunk.

The style of the logo made my brain replace Cyber with Daft.

if they got Daft Punk to do the soundtrack i would buy Day 1 lol.

Durante

Neuromancer by William Gibson [first in the genre]

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson [simply amazin, also it has all-time best name for main character]

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan [action/thriller/detective novel set in the amazing cyberpunk universe]
Good Choices. I'd suggest Gibson's whole sprawl trilogy, so add Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive to Neuromancer.

I also suggest Signal To Noise and A Signal Shattered by Eric Nylund.

bigf00t

Neuromancer by William Gibson [first in the genre]

Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson [simply amazin, also it has all-time best name for main character]

Excellent recommendations, three of my favorite books right there!

I'd also throw in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K Dick, AKA the story that Blade Runner was based on.

EDIT:

Good Choices. I'd suggest Gibson's whole sprawl trilogy, so add Count Zero and Mona Lisa Overdrive to Neuromancer.

Agreed, the sprawl trilogy is a fantastic read.

1920x1080_GIRL-CP77.jpg

ghost-in-the-shell-4.jpg

Nice

Lulubop

My most anticipated game, love the genre and the Witcher games have been my favorite releases this gen. Awesome Logo, and incredible artwork.

DieH@rd

Banned
I know that this is not cyberpunk, but Peter F. Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga has amazing vision of the future, extension of human life though technology, and interactions with AIs. Phenomenal 2 books.

Beckx

If you can find a copy of Mirrorshades, grab it. It's a collection edited by Bruce Sterling and featuring short stories by him (with co-authors, including Gibson), William Gibson, and others. Some of Sterling's other short stories, like Black Swan, are available for separate Kindle purchase.

Izick

Going to be so fucking good. SO FUCKING GOOD. I haven't played Witcher 2 yet (sitting on the ground right by me; don't worry, I will get to it) but I've always loved Sci-Fi way more than fantasy, and from what I've played of Witcher, it's one of the best games, let alone RPG's, of this generation. So hyped!

EDIT: Also, did they say anything about it being solely on the PC, or what?

i'm not feelin it :( need to see in game art style and mechanics. was never a fan of the spiky mohawk + piercings as being a staple of cyberpunk.

if they got Daft Punk to do the soundtrack i would buy Day 1 lol.
i'd prefer they went with someone like steve moore or carbon based lifeforms. subtle, shifting, hazy synthscapes over pounding house music.

Top Bottom