• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 - official site launches, development blog

epmode

Also, did they say anything about it being solely on the PC, or what?

Nothing has been confirmed.

I'd be surprised if this didn't show up on next-gen consoles at some point. And if so, I hope to hell that they won't be as detrimental to high-end game development as the RAM restrictions of current consoles. In spite of what CD Projekt may have claimed, The Witcher 2 still feels like it was developed with a possible console port in mind.

i-Lo

ghost-in-the-shell-4.jpg

Nice

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw that pic. Except, I was remembering the generic dolls.

It's surprising that in a risk averse industry the gamers have help built, that we'd see a project like this. Hopefully given CD's track record, I hope they succeed for their and us gamers' sake.

It's surprising that in a risk averse industry the gamers have help built, that we'd see a project like this. Hopefully given CD's track record, I hope they succeed for their and us gamers' sake.
proven developer producing a game in a genre that's experienced a recent revival.

where's the risk part?

~Kinggi~

Banned
They have potential for a hit bigger than the Witcher if they do this right. It sounds so good, and will have that modern feel that sometimes a game like the Witcher lacks.

Arklite

Sounds cool, but I feel like I missed the boat on being overly excited for this since it literally exists as two pictures and a presentation? Optimism is good, though.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Very very excited for this. I'll probably have an upgraded rig by then just in time for this baby as well.

Blizzard

Banned
This thread informed me that William Gibson wrote two more books I need to pick up. :O Apparently I've never read Mona Lisa Overdrive or other book(s) from that series. I also haven't read Altered Carbon, by the other guy!

I recently bought Reamde hoping Stephenson would be making a return to scifi form, but someone told me that it's really long and apparently not very good at all. :/ Usually I'm pretty good about picking out books I like.

i-Lo

proven developer producing a game in a genre that's experienced a recent revival.

where's the risk part?

I can only think of Deus Ex HR and ME. Would dishonoured also be considered a part of the same genre given it's set in an alternate universe that is more steam punk (I'd put it in the same category is Fallout)?

Nonetheless, the point is, it's a new IP and they have a higher chance of being not received well.

Fjordson

This thread informed me that William Gibson wrote two more books I need to pick up. :O Apparently I've never read Mona Lisa Overdrive or other book(s) from that series. I also haven't read Altered Carbon, by the other guy!
I also hadn't read the other two Sprawl trilogy books after Neuormancer for the longest time. I finally picked them up about two years ago and loved them, awesome stuff.

And definitely check out Altered Carbon, it's great. Very interesting cyberpunk rendition of San Francisco.

If you're looking for some books then i'm going to recommend Hardwired and Voice of the whirlwind by Walter John Williams. Implants, VR, Heavy weapons, Panzer Jockeys wired into tanks they're from the more militaristic end of the spectrum but touching too.

Most of Gibson's books deal with aspects of Cyberpunk but i much prefer his early books.

I also recommend Jack Womack's books if you want a dark dystopian future that meshes well with early cyberpunk books but isn't Cyberpunk.

I've got to go through my storage boxes and dig out my old books tomorrow night. I also have a documentary from 1990 called "Cyberpunk" that i have to watch again after years and years. It's going to be funny now looking back at it all.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Here's to hoping the music is top notch too. Visuals and audio need to go hand in hand as far as quality. It will probably be full of great electronic stuff but I'm hoping for some jazzy Cowboy Bebop'ish stuff like...

The Seatbelts - Road to West

...would def' be during a cinematic portion of the game. Could work amazingly well within' the mood they seem to be trying for.

Steaks

That was the first thing I thought of when I saw that pic. Except, I was remembering the generic dolls.

CD Projekt Red, live Valve, prints money from publishing and can afford to take risks.

Seriously, they are like a miniature polish Valve in a lot of respects. Since they have a lot of swinging room for personal projects, they can afford to lose money because it greatly increases their relationship with customers. A lot of the community love CDPred because as long as they stay revenue neutral, they are actually coming out ahead no matter what. So CDPred uses this to their advantage by making good games instead of profitable ones that might hurt their reputation.

To me, they do this because they A) Want to make good games. B) Making good games is a good way of getting people to pay for them in their primary market, which is saturated with piracye and C) It improves the company's standing in the eyes of people handing them money, which removes any grudges people might hold when buying other products.

Their games are their marketing and customer relations IMO. Plus I figure the guys running the company might even want to see these kinds of games.

Endo Punk

I hope the game world feels suitably dirty. Love the title and accompanying art. Definitley willing to get a robust gaming PC if the title doesn't release on next gen console hardware. I live and breath CP.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I can't be the only one that thinks the title is totally old school rad

antitrop

I hope the game world feels suitably dirty. Love the title and accompanying art. Definitley willing to get a robust gaming PC if the title doesn't release on next gen console hardware. I live and breath CP.
The Witcher games were both setting-appropriately dirty. I think it's in good hands.

JoeBoy101

Based on the artwork, I'm except oily-looking roads, wonderfully questionable tastes in fashion, and absurd ways of killing your opponents.

Zaptruder

Banned
Art appears to be pretty amazing. I can definetly dig this artstyle.

Just hope that it's... a little more open ended than Witcher 2.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I do hope they don't plan on making the game around a future console release this time around. =/

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I do hope they don't plan on making the game around a future console release this time around. =/

Why? It could help establish CDPR as a major developer like Oblivion did for Bethesda.
Unless you're the kind of person who doesn't want your developers to succeed...

I love that these kind of posts are so prevalent. 'WAH ITS MINE YOU CANT HAVE IT'

FACE

Banned
Why? It could help establish CDPR as a major developer like Oblivion did for Bethesda.
Unless you're the kind of person who doesn't want your developers to succeed...

I love that these kind of posts are so prevalent. 'WAH ITS MINE YOU CANT HAVE IT'

Because it usually means the game will turn out to be crap, just like Oblivion.

FACE

Banned
Tell me about how awful Witcher 2 was.

Also, Oblivion was crap regardless of showing up on consoles or not.

Witcher 2 was excellent, but the UI(inventory in particular) wasn't exactly great exactly because it was designed with a future console release in mind.

Edit: I don't think Oblivion was crap because it was released on consoles to be honest. Morrowind was a pretty good game and it was released on the original xbox.

antitrop

Witcher 2 was excellent, but the UI(inventory in particular) wasn't exactly great exactly because it was designed with a future console release in mind.
The Witcher 1's UI was also total garbage and that was a PC exclusive with no console-design in mind, as far as I'm aware. That's just a basic design failure of CDPR.

Tell me about how awful Witcher 2 was.

Also, Oblivion was crap regardless of showing up on consoles or not.
Ya, Oblivion didn't suck because of the graphics, it sucked because of everything else.

epmode

This is absolutely true. It's especially annoying because the console release actually had the UI altered to be more controller-friendly while the PC version is forever saddled with the awkward hybrid menu system.

Because it usually means the game will turn out to be crap, just like Oblivion.

So, a game gets made for PC. Then, after production is done and the game has been released, it is made for consoles.

Please explain to me how this affects the PC version in any way.

I did not like TW2, but it was a damn polished game.

antitrop

This is absolutely true. It's especially annoying because the console release actually had the UI altered to be more controller-friendly while the PC version is forever saddled with the awkward hybrid menu system.
I'll repeat myself, The Witcher 1 had a terrible UI as well. Witcher 2's UI shortcomings weren't necessarily a result of "being held back by console plans", I just think CD Projekt RED just doesn't know how to design a good user interface on PC.

i-Lo

Makes me wonder if the game will look something of a cross among:

• Prey 2
  • Deus Ex: HR
  • Dishonored
  • Fallout 3
  • Metro 2033

Of course then add in their own flavour.

FACE

Banned
So, a game gets made for PC. Then, after production is done and the game has been released, it is made for consoles.

I was just commenting on the trend of PC-only devs becoming multiplatform devs and their games becoming worse as a result.

Edit: Oblivion is a bad example though, Morrowind was on the Xbox and it was pretty good.

Grief.exe

In the conference the guy said that there was a secret in the trailer they showed, something around frame 150.

Was he kidding or is there some hidden secret?

Vaporak

Because that basically never is how it happens. Step 1 is always design the game with the limitations of what they expect that they can achieve on the console in mind, then build for PC, then build for Console, and that's exactly how it happened with Witcher 2. You can be okay with that design paradigm, but you should at least be honest about it.

Fjordson

Here's to hoping the music is top notch too. Visuals and audio need to go hand in hand as far as quality. It will probably be full of great electronic stuff but I'm hoping for some jazzy Cowboy Bebop'ish stuff like...

The Seatbelts - Road to West

...would def' be during a cinematic portion of the game. Could work amazingly well within' the mood they seem to be trying for.
You have great taste, sir. I'd love for the music to be something like that.

I almost want to say they should go Vangelis-esque from Blade Runner (good god it's perfect) but they probably don't want to steer too close to something that's become so ubiquitous with cyberpunk.

Top Bottom