• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 - official site launches, development blog

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
cyberpunk is really my favourite scifi setting. Decadent, foggy, tarnished cities of metal with a 1960' flavour. I'm going to spend all my game time in some bar in Night City

Fjordson

cyberpunk is really my favourite scifi setting. Decadent, foggy, tarnished cities of metal with a 1960' flavour. I'm going to spend all my game time in some bar in Night City
I'm already imagining bars and strip clubs and other similarly seedy locations with an awesomely dark atmosphere and tons of dialogue-rich NPC's.

And it seems like the site is already mentioning a bar in the city. "3 rules at Afterlife: no firearms (except for the barkeep during bar fights), no grenades, and no killing waitresses."

Currygan

I'm already imagining bars and strip clubs and other similarly seedy locations with an awesomely dark atmosphere and tons of dialogue-rich NPC's.

And it seems like the site is already mentioning a bar in the city. "3 rules at Afterlife: no firearms (except for the barkeep during bar fights), no grenades, and no killing waitresses."

yeah, cyberpunk bars are pretty much obligatory. I want to see some of the craziest NPCs ever...ugly, dirty and rotten, like experimental talking boars with prosthetic human arms and a gigantic cigar

"Night City" this alone sounds so fucking awesome, let's hope the actual game will be at least half as good as the hype, then it will be one for the ages!

i-Lo

Haha! They know it as well as I do. It'd be daft not to have Daft Punk aid the game in soundtrack. Quoting myself for stealth brag!

Something tells me Daft Punk would be a brilliant fit for composing music for games like these.

I mean even now:

Solar Sailer

Sea of Stimulation

Derezzed

The game has changed

Son of Flynn

ring true in my ear.

And then you've other awesome stuff like this that would feel right at home with Cyberpunk

Kuedo- Ant City (Blade Runner vibe, one of my favs)

Kuedo- Flight Path

Trifonic Parks on Fire

i-Lo

As much as I love them, I'm pretty sure they are not exactly cheap.

In their history of composing, it looks like the only game they've composed for is Wipeout. They may not be cheap but they do have the Midas touch. And in a game that is so in line with the genre of music they generally compose for, they may actually be interested in composing for it.

Edit: Also as aforementioned, both Kuedo and Trifonic are very good substitutes.

I'm curious as to what CD Projekt Red's idea of open world is?
If its like DX HR then that would be a fail.

It needs to be comparable in size to Skyrim or FONV and still retain the depth and choice consequense of The Witcher 2,FONV, or Alpha Protocol.

Gbraga

8UuPv.gif

Game of the forever confirmed

Fjordson

It needs to be comparable in size to Skyrim or FONV and still retain the depth and choice consequense of The Witcher 2,FONV, or Alpha Protocol.
I bet it'll be much more open than Human Revolution (though I still loved that game).

I feel like The Witcher games are just as open as DE: HR for the most part, or at least certain areas are. So because they mentioned how this "sandbox environment" is something new for them that they've never done before, that to me that sounds like it'll be way bigger.

ArjanN

Yeah, no, that game would take 20 years to make.

It doesn't need to be Skyrim sized at all IMO, Skyrim has a ton of dead space and copy & paste areas.

Perkel

Banned
why you people assume that this game will be anything like Witcher 2 ?
I mean it will probably be party based because they said they want to create old shool game. If it will be party based and sandbox then i think it will be probably something that will use isometric view.

I don't think it will be anything like Bloodlines or HR either.

krishian

This is from an interview with a Polish site, that was translated on the witcher forum
the game is going to be a "sandbox" sandbox, so no chapters, no mission hubs, just total freedom, you can go wherever you want

Some more info here

I hope they still focus on the story/narrative and don't go full on "quantity over quality" like Bethesda does with their games :/

Kade

Soundtrack Dream Team:
Ed Harrison
Daft Punk
Michael McCann
Death Grips for the slums, clubs and backstreets

Endo Punk

So let me get this straight. The game never takes place in the day light? I know cyberpunk is about darkness and neon lights but as GITS has shown, you can still pull off the cyberpunk look in the day light.

So let me get this straight. The game never takes place in the day light? I know cyberpunk is about darkness and neon lights but as GITS has shown, you can still pull off the cyberpunk look in the day light.

Huh? Where did you read/ hear that?

I mean I would like it to be true as only the BEST games out there like Deus Ex and System Shock 2 never take place in the daylight.

Sentenza

I hope they still focus on the story/narrative and don't go full on "quantity over quality" like Bethesda does with their games :/
I must admit that I hate how every single time this argument comes out people seem to go in "full dichotomy mode" forgetting how many *glorious* RPG of the past were perfectly capable to offer both things: non-linearity and strong narrative.

Just because awful examples like Bethesda are predominant right now, it doesn't mean that things can't be handled better (Ultima? Fallout 2? Gothic/Risen?).

The city is named Night City. It's to Cyberpunk what Seattle is to Shadowrun.

That's the cover of the Night City sourcebook.

Yes! Yes! Mwaha that's exactly what I'm hoping for. Thanks for posting I've never seen that.

Does anyone still play the p&p game? Wonder if I should pick it up just to check it out.

FACE

Banned
“We meant that in terms of open-world, basically,” CD Projekt’s Agnieszka Szostak told RPS. “But we won’t just throw you in the open world and let go of the storytelling. The story and creating the main plot will still be very, very important for us. But the sandbox environment means that actually you won’t be limited to this particular story. You’ll just be able to enjoy the world all around you. Which is really, really challenging, because it’s very difficult to find the proper balance between the very immersive story we try to tell, the world we try to create, and the freedom we want to give gamers.”

Cyberpunk’s A ‘Sandbox,’ But What Does That Mean?

FirewalkR

Each day I am more convinced that there's 0% chance of this game not becoming a phenomenal work of art and one of my favorite games of all time.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Oh god I can just imagine what CD Project will do with a cyberpunk open world setting.

Just going around dark alleys, watching hackers, crackers, cyber whores, petty thiefs, android saboteurs, .....

Also I really hope they make the "sidequests" more "invisible". Like just going into a dark alley, when you see a girl nearly getting raped. You can step in and save her, get a reward or some vital information, all without any stupid pop-up telling you what you just accomplished. It should feel natural, like you just were really lucky to be at the right time at the right place.

Seriously awesome. They had me at cyberpunk RPG from the guys who made TW2.

Got to say though, I hope Cyberpunk 2077 is a working title. Seems a little unimaginative and dry. Kind of like if Seinfeld was called Sitcom 89.

Currygan

yeah, it deffo needs to have another title, something like Brazil, the Terry Gilliam movie

i'd love something simple and iconic, like "Cobalt Sky" or something

Dennis

Banned
- Unnanounced dark fantasy title (Witcher 3?) is in more advanced stages than Cyberpunk 2077.

- Cyberpunk 2077 is the first in a series, both games are larger than The Witcher, both are multiplaform

- 2013 will be smaller stuff for CDP RED, no Witcher-caliber release

- Witcher for iPhone - too early to say anything, but not impossible

- no Witcher for PS3 next year, they want TW on Playstation, but not current gen

- both TW3 and CP2077 will appear on next gen consoles

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/32920-some-dark-fantasy-rpg-and-cp2077-news/

FACE

Banned
- both TW3 and CP2077 will appear on next gen consoles

Good, I wouldn't want to see those games being held back by 7 year old hardware.

54-46!

How is the Cyberpunk setting compared to other games with the same themes (Deus Ex HR, Syndicate)? it seems dirtier and more punk.

Top Bottom